• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

alternate route Estella to Los Arcos

annakappa

RIP 2024
Time of past OR future Camino
Part frances jun 07/rest frances may- jun 2008/Frances sept-oct 2009/ Sanabres Oct 2010/Frances sept-oct 2011/Aragones Sept-Oct 2012. Hospitalero Sept 2010, Amiga in Pilgrim's Office Oct 2013. Part Primitivo Oct 2013. Portugues from Porto June 2015.
Having stayed twice in Villamayor de Monjardín, we would like to take the alternate route on the left side of the autopista and passing through the village of Luquín. Although I know it exists, I haven't been able to find any description of this route and, looking on Googel Earth, can't visualize the track. Has anyone walked this way? Anne

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
On my second Camino I mistakedly wound up on that alternative route after passing through Estella. Once realizing my error, I took the attitude that it will be good to explore a new path. There are some nicely wooded sections and it is less of a climb, but it is also less scenic. In the end I was sorry to have missed Villamayor de Monjardin. I almost wanted to backtrack just to go along the other route once again. Of course I didn't seriously consider doing such.

Having now gone both routes, my preference is strongly in favor of the route through Villamayor. Further, there is nothing particularly appealing about Luquin. Understanding your desire to take a new path just for the experience, I'd still recommend the route you've taken in the past.

In answer to your query as to obtaining more information, the John Brierly Camino Map shows this alternative.

Hi i went this route, its is quiet which at the time was appealing, i took this photo as i started climbing. The dual carriageway is soon out of sight and you cant hear it as well.

Mike

Attachments

• rt5.jpg
    rt5.jpg
    321 KB · Views: 1,461
A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
I somehow ended up in Luquin as well, but I have agreeable memories of it. Not only was the walk quiet-- perhaps too quiet as I was on my own for much of it without seeing another soul-- but the village was very nice. The little basilica was open and one of the volunteers cleaning the church was knowledgeable and gave me a tour in mercifully slow Castilian, so that i would get the high points of the place.

I was joined by three pilgrims from Madrid and, as it was a hot day, they were able to negotiate a private opening of the village pool for us, and we all had a refreshing swim.

Sadly, the cafe was closed but a very kind gardener gave me a handful of jewel-like tomatoes and figs, the memory of which is still with me.

As mistakes go, it was a very good one.

Allow me to clarify my earlier post.

Both the routes are nice. Having walked each of them however I came away with a personal preference that, given a choice I would always opt for the one going through Villamayor. When I say I erred or made a mistake, the mistake was in unintentionally going the trail I did not plan to go. That does not mean that there is anything about the alternative trail itself that would make walking it a mistake. You really can't go wrong on either of the routes. That is unless like me you are not paying attention to arrows and get misdirected. The stunning photo posted by Mike certainly attests to the beauty of the alternative route.

In October 2010 when I walked the trail that travels through Luquin, the church was closed and locked. I cannot recall anything particularly distinctive or inviting about the village but that is not to imply any negative impression. Again I just enjoyed walking through the village of Villamayor more than Luquin.

I'll even go out on a limb and guess that people who may have walked both routes would agree with me. Repliers: Please don't shoot me if you do not agree. It is my opinion based on my experience!

Perhaps if for no other reason than to satisfy curiosity it is worth your while to go the alternative. How's all that for a contradiction! So much for clarity.

In any event ... Buen Camino!

oursonpolaire said:
they were able to negotiate a private opening of the village pool for us, and we all had a refreshing swim.
oursonpolaire said:
Sadly, the cafe was closed

It was the opposite for me, the pool was closed, but the cafe was open. It was all saints day, and a lot of families came out in their finest to it.

I liked the walk, it was quiet, it was a gently going path not as hard as i imagined it would be by looking at the Brierley book.If i am ever that way again it would be a hard choice between the two paths.

I had started at Villatuerta that day and there is another option of taking up an alternative path which joins the Luquin route after Irache, i had considered it but it meant missing out on Estella, Irache bodega and monestary. That route would make the cafe in Luquin as your only place to stop and refuel outside of your own stocks before Los Arcos.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
We read some incredible things in this forum (some from me), but a cafe closed? You are stretching my credulity! :D

My worst days were the ones where the second cup of morning coffee never appeared...

I mentioned Luquin, being the only village that I can see that one passes through on this alternate route. Seems that, if the bar is closed - then it's going to be a long day's walk without a break, to get to Los Arcos. I have been considering this route, thinking that it might be a bit more interesting. Maybe more woods, more shade, more undulated. It would also avoid the temptation of staying over in Villamayor, but to press on to Los Arcos. My other question was: is it well way-marked? Anne

annakappa said:
My other question was: is it well way-marked? Anne

After Irache you have the option of going through a subway over which goes the dual carriageway, it went slightly wrong for me here, i followed my assumptions rather than the arrows, and after walking next to the dual carriageway for about 100 meters decided that the path i could see to my left over a field is where i should be, after hiking across the field, came on to the arrows again. After that it was clearly marked all the way to rejoining the main route.

Not sure if i was lucky in finding the cafe open, it seemed quite big and popular and backs onto the swimming pool, so i imagine in summer during the siesta hours they have a lot of trade as people relax next to the pool.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Anne,
I walked this route.
It WAS well marked, there's really no place you can get lost.
The village was quiet and the church AND the cafe were locked up tight.
So the answer is to take a sack lunch.
The shade is nice in the forest BUT the flies in the forest were unrelenting!
I have a video.. and Joe's marching is accented by the red hankie he's swatting flies with.

That said, would I walk this route again?
Sure! It was pretty, it was shady, and it was nice being able to see the OTHER pilgrims struggling up that HUGE hill! :lol: There were some great views!

Yes the alternative route is well marked. The problem was in where the trail split after Irache. Perhaps I stayed a bit too long at that wine well!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
markss said:
Perhaps I stayed a bit too long at that wine well!

As soon as i left it and started walking up the slight hill to the monastery i realised that i should have had some photos taken and nothing else.

Thank you all for your in-put.
Mike, I checked out your underpass on Google Earth and could easily see it, but then it seems that you have to turn right and walk a while alongside the autopista. After that, I see loads of different tracks, but I guess that if it''s well signposted we should be OK. Adriaan says we should keep to the usual route over Villamayor. At least there is a bar there! And a fountain.We were also thinking of staying in Villatuerta the night before. Of course, what you would like to do and what you do eventually do can be completely different - often depends on the weather, sometimes on one's physical condition! As much as possible, I like to try new albergues, so Villatuerta would be just right. Anne

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Hi Anne try this link there is a video on there with the route from Villatuerta to Luquinhttp://www.luquin.biz/php/index.php/datos/ruta-jacobea.There is also a couple of documents on that page which give you heights distances and directions. I had a look at it and it seems its quite possible to go far as the subway and then go back onto the other route.

Mike

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Thanks Mike - unfortuantely Internel Explorer couldn't enter this page, but I apreciate your interest! Anne

My daughter took the villamayor route with the gals, I went up through Luquin with the guys. I thought it was a lovely walk. very pretty, very quiet, and certainly no other pilgrims did we see. The village was desolate. The church was locked, though I do think the cafe was open though I can't recall. I do know that there was a fountain. We passed one gentleman coming from his garden with a basket of fresh veggies. That was it. In the end, we also beat the other group into Los Arcos, but that's because they were the type to linger significantly over cafe con leches and croissants whenever given the chance! If you've already done the recommended route, I say- go for it!

haven't yet walked this route yet but I am planning to the next time I am there. speaking of, if going in reverse, would the waymarking be just as good?

this is the english text from the site mikevasey posted, the woods look especially beautiful:

The Way of St James has existed for over a thousand years. It was one of the most important Christian pilgrimages during medieval times. It has undergone lot of changes over the years . Some very interesting routes have disapeared, some others have fallen out of use and some of them, which are still in good use, are not very well known amongst the pilgrims, as the most guide books do not mention them.
As you can imagine these little routes are much more interesting for those pilgrims who are looking for a more genuine experience .
The route I am offering you is one of them. It is just a little one. It is only about three or four kilometres long. It goes from Villatuerta to Luquin (before arriving at Estella). It was very popular before the foundation of Estella, about 1000 years ago. It starts near the Zaraputz plain and finishes in Luquin. It goes around Mount Montejurra and offers you fantastic views, intense smells (variable in every season) and a nice walk among holm oaks, oaks and pine trees.
Long time ignored, after the Ega river flooded and destroyed the bridge wich allowed the access to this route, it has now been restored by a private initiative, since a new bridge has been built very near the old one.
Originally It goes from Villatuerta to Luquin .You can also follow it from the new route in the”Monasterio de Irache”. If you are heading towards Los Arcos at about 300 metres there is a crossroads where you can take this beautiful path along where you can take in fantastic panoramic views of, Loquiz, Urbasa , Monjardin and San Donato mountains on one side and , Cantabria, Yoar and San Lorenzo mountains on the other.

and this is my description that I did after googlemaps (mostly, the second part was a problem due to all the paths towards Luquin and I used brierley here), because john brierley's just didn't seem detailed enough. although if the route is so excellently waymarked as everyone says, it may not be needed. Please note that this is made after googlemaps and may NOT correspond with the waymarks. It gives you a general direction, though. Distances mostly after Brierley.

VILLATUERTA (F, wc, 423m) From albergue continue on the main route along Calle Rúa Nueva to igl. de Asuncion (F) and plaza after it.

Alternative along an older medieval route directly to monasterio de Irache and further to Los Arcos: Before Estella was founded in 1090, the pilgrims travelled directly to monasterio de Irache (8km) via Noveleta and Zaraputz and this route continued to be used later on as well. It can be extended via Luquín to link directly with Los Arcos (20km in all). It is marked as part of GR 65.

A blue board on a casa here has a small yellow arrow with Zaraputz written on it. Turn L along Calle Iglesia, cross a street at the end and continue on a path then a track past an industrial complex (R), veer L under NA132 where it joins the motorway and reach a gravel road that to the R leads to the first houses of 1.7km NOVELETA.
Continue on this gravel road L, go under the motorway, turn R, make a L bend, turn R across río Ega and turn R on a path along the river. The path soon veers L away from the river for a steep climb to the ruins of a 3km 15C hospital de peregrinos (founded by monks from s Juan de la Peña and in 1090 mentioned as in camino de Sancto Iacobo) in Zaraputz (R, 440m), then it parallels a road (L). It crosses a tarmac road, turns L and crosses NA122 via a pedestrian bridge.
Ascend to a gravel road on a ridge (515m; views of Estella), turn R on it as it curves around a valley and ascends to the start of a tarmac road at cementerio (R). Turn L here to a path that curves along a scrubland with a lonely tree (L) and 100m after the tree, as it bends R, turn L into the scrubland. 10m later turn R to a well-trodden path that ends on a gravel/tarmac road. Go R for 100m and turn L to another well-trodden path (after the second small tree(?)) that descends through oak forest to an intersection before the 3.7km motorway.
Here you can pass under the motorway then go straight to join the main 0.4km Camino Francés; monasterio de Irache (F) is further 800m to the L. Albergue in Ayegui is 1.2km past Irache, and albergues in Estella are 2.7km that way.
If you want to continue directly to Los Arcos, turn L before the motorway up through an oak woodland that eventually gives way to extensive lavender fields, skirting the lower slopes of the mystical mountain of Montejurra (1045m). Descend to a wooden bridge across a 3km dry stream and shortly after gradual climbing uphill through mountain oak the path emerges out of the woods to reveal the wonderful views of the conical peak of Mojardín to the N. You reach the high point (720m, views) and then gently descend to 3.7km LUQUÍN (F, s Martín (carved portico)). Below is URBIOLA where the knights of St. John maintained a medieval hospital de peregrinos.
Wind you way down through the village to NA6340, turn L then veer R to Calle Carrera which becomes a dirt road above N111. In a fork veer R, cross N111 then go under the motorway and the 3.7km main route below a small pine grove.

whichever route you will take, I am sure you can't be disappointed.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Wow Caminka! Your detailed description is incredible. Thanks for going to all this trouble! I hadn't considered by-passing Estella, by going directly from Villatuerta, thereby cutting off the loop. Seems logical. I've checked it out on Google Earth and it's definately a good possibility! Anne

well, :D I just really like to know my way... and really like to explore a new corner every time I go.

haven't yet walked this route yet but I am planning to the next time I am there. speaking of, if going in reverse, would the waymarking be just as good?

this is the english text from the site mikevasey posted, the woods look especially beautiful:

The Way of St James has existed for over a thousand years. It was one of the most important Christian pilgrimages during medieval times. It has undergone lot of changes over the years . Some very interesting routes have disapeared, some others have fallen out of use and some of them, which are still in good use, are not very well known amongst the pilgrims, as the most guide books do not mention them.
As you can imagine these little routes are much more interesting for those pilgrims who are looking for a more genuine experience .
The route I am offering you is one of them. It is just a little one. It is only about three or four kilometres long. It goes from Villatuerta to Luquin (before arriving at Estella). It was very popular before the foundation of Estella, about 1000 years ago. It starts near the Zaraputz plain and finishes in Luquin. It goes around Mount Montejurra and offers you fantastic views, intense smells (variable in every season) and a nice walk among holm oaks, oaks and pine trees.
Long time ignored, after the Ega river flooded and destroyed the bridge wich allowed the access to this route, it has now been restored by a private initiative, since a new bridge has been built very near the old one.
Originally It goes from Villatuerta to Luquin .You can also follow it from the new route in the”Monasterio de Irache”. If you are heading towards Los Arcos at about 300 metres there is a crossroads where you can take this beautiful path along where you can take in fantastic panoramic views of, Loquiz, Urbasa , Monjardin and San Donato mountains on one side and , Cantabria, Yoar and San Lorenzo mountains on the other.

and this is my description that I did after googlemaps (mostly, the second part was a problem due to all the paths towards Luquin and I used brierley here), because john brierley's just didn't seem detailed enough. although if the route is so excellently waymarked as everyone says, it may not be needed. Please note that this is made after googlemaps and may NOT correspond with the waymarks. It gives you a general direction, though. Distances mostly after Brierley.

VILLATUERTA (F, wc, 423m) From albergue continue on the main route along Calle Rúa Nueva to igl. de Asuncion (F) and plaza after it.

Alternative along an older medieval route directly to monasterio de Irache and further to Los Arcos: Before Estella was founded in 1090, the pilgrims travelled directly to monasterio de Irache (8km) via Noveleta and Zaraputz and this route continued to be used later on as well. It can be extended via Luquín to link directly with Los Arcos (20km in all). It is marked as part of GR 65.

A blue board on a casa here has a small yellow arrow with Zaraputz written on it. Turn L along Calle Iglesia, cross a street at the end and continue on a path then a track past an industrial complex (R), veer L under NA132 where it joins the motorway and reach a gravel road that to the R leads to the first houses of 1.7km NOVELETA.
Continue on this gravel road L, go under the motorway, turn R, make a L bend, turn R across río Ega and turn R on a path along the river. The path soon veers L away from the river for a steep climb to the ruins of a 3km 15C hospital de peregrinos (founded by monks from s Juan de la Peña and in 1090 mentioned as in camino de Sancto Iacobo) in Zaraputz (R, 440m), then it parallels a road (L). It crosses a tarmac road, turns L and crosses NA122 via a pedestrian bridge.
Ascend to a gravel road on a ridge (515m; views of Estella), turn R on it as it curves around a valley and ascends to the start of a tarmac road at cementerio (R). Turn L here to a path that curves along a scrubland with a lonely tree (L) and 100m after the tree, as it bends R, turn L into the scrubland. 10m later turn R to a well-trodden path that ends on a gravel/tarmac road. Go R for 100m and turn L to another well-trodden path (after the second small tree(?)) that descends through oak forest to an intersection before the 3.7km motorway.
Here you can pass under the motorway then go straight to join the main 0.4km Camino Francés; monasterio de Irache (F) is further 800m to the L. Albergue in Ayegui is 1.2km past Irache, and albergues in Estella are 2.7km that way.
If you want to continue directly to Los Arcos, turn L before the motorway up through an oak woodland that eventually gives way to extensive lavender fields, skirting the lower slopes of the mystical mountain of Montejurra (1045m). Descend to a wooden bridge across a 3km dry stream and shortly after gradual climbing uphill through mountain oak the path emerges out of the woods to reveal the wonderful views of the conical peak of Mojardín to the N. You reach the high point (720m, views) and then gently descend to 3.7km LUQUÍN (F, s Martín (carved portico)). Below is URBIOLA where the knights of St. John maintained a medieval hospital de peregrinos.
Wind you way down through the village to NA6340, turn L then veer R to Calle Carrera which becomes a dirt road above N111. In a fork veer R, cross N111 then go under the motorway and the 3.7km main route below a small pine grove.

whichever route you will take, I am sure you can't be disappointed.
Thank you for this, very descriptive , I will certainly consider it.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back