• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Alternate route into Burgos

annakappa

RIP 2024
Time of past OR future Camino
Part frances jun 07/rest frances may- jun 2008/Frances sept-oct 2009/ Sanabres Oct 2010/Frances sept-oct 2011/Aragones Sept-Oct 2012. Hospitalero Sept 2010, Amiga in Pilgrim's Office Oct 2013. Part Primitivo Oct 2013. Portugues from Porto June 2015.
I have ben requested to re-post the directions of the alternate route into Burgos. See below:

Before starting our second Camino, I did a bit of researching regarding the alternative route into Burgos. The distance probably works out the same, but instead of walking through the whole unpleasant factory area, plus all the built up area heading into the city, we tried the following:
Follow the yellow arrows on leaving Orbaneja Riopico. Cross by bridge over the highway and as you descend the other side, take an immediate left at the side of the first building. Follow this path, which eventually leads you to the perimeter fence of the airport (on your right). After a short walk, you will arrive in the village of Castañares. Cross immediately the main road and walk straight ahead, passing a children's playground, bearing right at a factory, cross a small river by footbridge and the path becomes a small track under trees, running parallel to a highway (on your left). Continue until you see an underpass below the highway, which you take and you then enter an enormous recreational area, which follows the Río Arlanzón all the way to the centre of Burgos (and continues out the other side). You can even walk along a mini beach at one point! Don't be tempted to cross the river by one of the two big bridges for motorized traffic, but wait until you suddenly see the spires of the cathedral just ahead and to the right of you. Take this pedestrian bridge (the 3rd from when you entered the recreational area). Go under the old arch, Puerta de Santa María and you will find yourself standing immediately in the main square in front of the cathedral. The total distance from Castañares is just under 7 kms. The whole track is well signed with yellow arrows and is so much more pleasant than the "official" route. I still wonder why the guide books suggest the other route! Anne
Last edited by annakappa on 12 Apr 2011, 15:50, edited 1 time in total.
Our "Camino" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HzdFwoJx_dc

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Dear Anne,
Thank you so much for these directions. I got badly lost going into Burgos last time. Whats new.? I got lost going into Pamplona and Leon too,
Your directions are really clear. I'll be thinking kindly of you as I follow them.

Lydia

Many thanks for the route Anna, I shall be following it next month!
Sandra :arrow:

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Your both welcome Lydia and Sandra! Enjoy the route. It's a lovely peaceful walk taking you right up to the old bridge immediately leading to the square. No traffic, a woody park leading along the river, where you can see the locals taking their dogs, grandchildren, etc for a stroll. Only the first couple of kms go along the perimeter fence of the airport maybe a bit monotonous - but at least no traffic. Anne

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Geeez....I would hate to miss the mind numbing, noisy, long, long walk into Burgos through the industrial/business area. It really is a seemingly never ending trudge. :wink:

After reading this thread I looked at John Brierley's website and found that his latest guide for the Camino Frances (7th edition) has this alternate route into Burgos in it and he has posted an update sheet for this stage on the website. Just to note, that I have learned so much about the Camino Frances on this forum and as I get ready for my first Camino in a month I am so grateful for this gift.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I agree. Very nice route with the river under big trees. This was the only route we found to Burgos, I do not know how we did it :)
We'll start our second camino on Saturday, still wondering how to travel from Madrid to Burgos...

Ritva

The train:
Train / Route Departure Arrival Duration
04087 ALVIA 08.00 10.21 2 h. 21 min.
18061 MD 08.30 12.37 4 h. 07 min.
18063 MD 13.22 17.40 4 h. 18 min.
00201 TALGO Incidencia 14.50 18.20 3 h. 30 min.
04167 ALVIA 16.15 18.43 2 h. 28 min.
18065 MD 17.30 21.46 4 h. 16 min.

Thank you Falcon
Let's see how it goes...
- Ritva

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
We travelled from Bilbao to Burgos by train last year and did not realize there was a new train station, Rosa de Lima, quite a little way out of the city centre but still ended up on the camino somehow.
Liz

I have walked into Burgos on three occasions, the first time on the scenic route on which I got lost. The next two entrances were along the road route.

The road route into Burgos is a real drag but as I like a bit of penance and self-flagration I think it is good for my soul and there is no chance of getting lost. :D

The alternate route is signed - usual yellow arrows. Anne

I have been reading a Spanish Forum, regarding the directions on the alternate route. Apparently, when you reach the main road in Castañares, there is a yellow arrow pointing to take a right turn. DO NOT DO THIS! Cross the main road and take the small road opposite, where, after about one minute you will pass a small playground. You are on the right track! Follow the yellow arrows from there on. Anne

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back