• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Alternate route into Burgos

annakappa

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Part frances jun 07/rest frances may- jun 2008/Frances sept-oct 2009/ Sanabres Oct 2010/Frances sept-oct 2011/Aragones Sept-Oct 2012. Hospitalero Sept 2010, Amiga in Pilgrim's Office Oct 2013. Part Primitivo Oct 2013. Portugues from Porto June 2015.
I have ben requested to re-post the directions of the alternate route into Burgos. See below:

Before starting our second Camino, I did a bit of researching regarding the alternative route into Burgos. The distance probably works out the same, but instead of walking through the whole unpleasant factory area, plus all the built up area heading into the city, we tried the following:
Follow the yellow arrows on leaving Orbaneja Riopico. Cross by bridge over the highway and as you descend the other side, take an immediate left at the side of the first building. Follow this path, which eventually leads you to the perimeter fence of the airport (on your right). After a short walk, you will arrive in the village of Castañares. Cross immediately the main road and walk straight ahead, passing a children's playground, bearing right at a factory, cross a small river by footbridge and the path becomes a small track under trees, running parallel to a highway (on your left). Continue until you see an underpass below the highway, which you take and you then enter an enormous recreational area, which follows the Río Arlanzón all the way to the centre of Burgos (and continues out the other side). You can even walk along a mini beach at one point! Don't be tempted to cross the river by one of the two big bridges for motorized traffic, but wait until you suddenly see the spires of the cathedral just ahead and to the right of you. Take this pedestrian bridge (the 3rd from when you entered the recreational area). Go under the old arch, Puerta de Santa María and you will find yourself standing immediately in the main square in front of the cathedral. The total distance from Castañares is just under 7 kms. The whole track is well signed with yellow arrows and is so much more pleasant than the "official" route. I still wonder why the guide books suggest the other route! Anne

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
It's marked all the way from leaving Orbaneja Riopico until you get into the recreational area. (You just have to remember to look for the arrow and turn left immediately after going down the far side of the bridge very shortly after leaving Orbaneja. In any case there is a building there too). From entering this park/recreational area, there are lots of paths, weaving between the trees, but as long as you "follow your nose" heading near to the Arlanzón river, there is really no problem. The arrows in this big park were there, but not so many. There were lots of people jogging, taking a stroll, taking the dog for a walk, taking out the grandchildren, etc. If in doubt, one could always ask "Burgos Cathedral"? and I'm sure they will point anyone in the right direction. Most of the time, you stay so near the river, that there should be no doubt at all! Rebekah, this is such a pleasant way to enter Burgos, relaxing too! I'll be thinking of you next week - lucky you! Anne

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
It is a marvellous way to get into Burgos, I agree!

But it was not so well marked when I took it last May (2009); we had to ask several times if we were on the right way; especially in the small village after the airport, it was not so clear, and also on the beginning of the recreational area.
(once, you are at the river, it's easier, you just follow it)
Maybe, Anne, you were on the Camino after me and the way-marking was done in between?

Well, it is worth it, only green landscape and noise of birds and river...

We walked there the last days of September. I do agree that after the airport, upon reaching the village that I can't remember seeing any arrow there - but - that is where you cross immediately over the road and carry straight on into the small street at right angles to the main road. In other words, do not go down the main road, which might seem the logical thing to do. (I had down-loaded some photos from Google Earth and so knew what I was looking for). As you pass the children's playground, then you know you are going in the right direction and simply follow the bends in the track which will take you to the underpass and then you are in the park. As I mentioned, not so many arrows there, but you simply follow the river. Anne

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Too right Annie,
Dreary and then some....I would've paid money to have the memory of that sole wrecking soul numbing stretch surgically removed :cry:
Nell

I have finally worked out how to attach the photo! This is the first sight one gets of the Cathedral of Burgos, when taking the alternate route into the city. It was a lovely walk in without one sign of asphalt. Anne

Attachments

• Burgos Catherdal seen from far side of the Rio Arlacon B.JPG
    Burgos Catherdal seen from far side of the Rio Arlacon B.JPG
    154 KB · Views: 1,446
Back in March, I published this alternate route into Burgos. So much has been said and written about how awful the long drag into this city is, going through all the industrial zone, that I thought this thread might be useful to anyone who would like to try this pleasant way into Burgos. Anne

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Oh how we should have taken your route annakappa .... I ended up with a huge blood-filled blister from all the tarmac walking. My husband wasn't keen on the alternative route as he didn't have a detailed guide for it so we took the official route.
I wasn't bothered about the scenery (I do quite a lot of urban walks) but should have saved my feet. I can remember limping along rather forlornly and a very well dressed local lady suddenly turned and yelled Buen Camino at me which gave me a much-needed boost. We had a lovely rest day in Burgos after to recover. I hope I will be back one day to walk your route. Thank you for the detailed directions.

Your so right AnnaKappa!

Took the ' Rio Route' in July and it made all the difference! I had already taken several 'alternatie' routes along the Camino and so when I took in front of an arrow with 'rio route' I went for it.
Of course the Rio part of it doesn't start for quite some time.

The arrows are fairly good but was pleased to meet up with a Spanish woman (yes only 1 other person walking it that afternoon) along the way and we helped each other. We also asked locals a few times.

What is special about the last part is that it indeed takes you (in the shade!) along a grassy/tree-lined walk beside the river. You are led through the archway entrance to the Cathedral. Loved Burgos and the municpal is very modern and efficient.

DO IT!

The entry into Leon on the other hand goes down as my WORST experience on the Camino.

Cheers,
LT

Oh yes LTFit you are right going into Leon was not much fun either, lots of diversions and uphills over road and rough paths. I presume all the works intended for 2010 are complete now, including the new bridge over the busy road - anyone walked this yet?

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Someone asked me about the alternate route into Burgos, avoiding the long march through the industrial area. This route totally avoids this, instead, especially for the last 8 Kms takes you through a park bordering the river Arlanzon. If you scroll back to my post here of 17th March, you can have a look at the photo - the first sight of the Cathedral, when approaching by this route. Anne

Yes Anne, I also took this route in Sept 2011 with no real difficulty finding the waymarkers. If in doubt trust your instincts. Also, it is an alternate route in the Brierly guidebook. And it is a fabulous way to enter Burgos through the arch and arrive at the cathedral. As Anne says wait until you see the spires before you cross over.

I accomplished quite a feat on my Camino. I became the first pilgrim in history who enjoyed the walk into Burgos. I was going to take the "scenic" route, but thanks to Brierley and his wonderful directions, I instead ended up on the traditional slog route. And it was great! I can't explain it, but it felt great to walk through the heart of the "real" city. I think I received more "buen caminos" in that stretch then I had anywhere else. And I'll always remember the older Spanish gentleman, in his suit and tie, giving me a nod and a thumbs up. It was if he was saying, "Good for you, son!" I loved the hustle and bustle. It was almost intoxicating!

As for the "ugliness" of the industrial part, I think seeing those things does a pilgrim good. Factories, warehouses, and the like make civilized life possible. They provide jobs for people. Just because something isn't "pretty" doesn't mean we shouldn't take time to appreciate it.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Reading an interesting blog by Nadine (http://singlestepcamino.wordpress.com/2014/07/). She mentions that after forgetting her guide book in a previous albergue, she met up with "...An old man with a cane was waiting on a bench, and when I walked by he motioned for me to follow him, and took me and two Lithuanian girls to a scenic detour. Our entire walk into Burgos- what many others referred to as the walk of hell- was through a beautiful park...."
Anyone know about this scenic route?
S :)

When you come into Burgos by the Airport fence you will reach a place called Castanares, at that junction do not turn right to walk into Burgos via the N120, but cross the road and go straight ahead. If memory serves me right you will cross two small bridges then turn right in the park along the river, this will bring you in to Burgos via that parkland, you will also pass the camping site where many pilgrims stay in tents or rent small chalets.
That man with the cane, if it was the same man, also showed us this way, he lives in a house at the junction near the bench.
This is the Junction. Cross the road and straight ahead, don't turn right.
https://www.google.ie/maps/@42.3437...m4!1e1!3m2!1s_6OaBcbZhqzY2QSg6ss3nw!2e0?hl=en
Overview.
Ashampoo_Snap_2014.09.04_11h25m06s_001_.png

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I remembered that corner vividly and I did turned and walked along the airport fenceline. That said, I still got lost at Castanares and went into Burgos the "industrial" way. I was so mad beacuse I really thought I got good directions, but somewhere into town I missed the right turn to go into the forested area.

Walking into Burgos was the worst section of my entire Camino, both dangerous (too close to heavily trafficked roads), and confusing. Walking out of Burgos was also pretty bad; the stench of human waste was quite disturbing.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
As you pass the children's playground, then you know you are going in the right direction and simply follow the bends in the track which will take you to the underpass and then you are in the park. As I mentioned, not so many arrows there, but you simply follow the river. Anne

Anne- I passed the children's playground, followed the bends on the track, saw the underpass....and STILL got lost. This is not as clear cut as it may had appeared when you took it :). BTW, quite a bit of people ahead of us were also on the lookout for this route and many ended up taking the industrial way into Burgos along with us. There are a lot of places along the Camino I wished I could revisit and taking this route is one of them!

Apologies to Mr. Frost for my slight changes

The Road Not Taken

Two paths diverged in a neighborhood,
And from hating any urban sprawl
Or factory waste, long I stood
And looked down one as far as I could
To where cement was complete and all;

Then took the other, as even more fair,
And having perhaps the better claim,
Because it was grassy and wanted wear;
Though as for that the passing there
Had worn them really about the same,

And both that morning equally lay
With no arrows to mark the track.
Oh, I kept the first for another day!
Yet knowing how way leads on to way,
I doubted if I should ever come back.

I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two paths diverged in a neighborhood, and I--
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Anne- I passed the children's playground, followed the bends on the track, saw the underpass....and STILL got lost. This is not as clear cut as it may had appeared when you took it :). BTW, quite a bit of people ahead of us were also on the lookout for this route and many ended up taking the industrial way into Burgos along with us. There are a lot of places along the Camino I wished I could revisit and taking this route is one of them!
It's a while now since I walked this way, although I did it twice. If I remember, after you walk through the underpass, you arrive in the park. From there, in fact, I don't remember seeing any arrows, but you have to keep veering to the right, where the river is. Once you hit the river, you just keep going for still quite a few Kms. But at least it a green walk instead of industrial sprawl. We actually took a couple of printed photos from google earth to help us keep orientated.
I must admit Olivares, that the very first time we tried this route I think in 2008, we made the mistake of turning right along the road upon arrival at Castanares and ended up in the urban sprawl. Anne

When I'm travelling in areas were I've not got internet connectivity (e.g. my phone subscription is from another country), I look at a route on Google Maps that I want to take when I'm near to a WiFi connection, then save this route for looking at off-line. I take the map down to the smallest detail, which allows me then to check up on individual roads, etc. even when I'm off line. I think I may do this for the alternative route into Burgos!!!
Thanks for all the detailed observations.
Suzanne :)

I've just done the arrival into Burgos and into Leon in the last few days. The route described by the river into Burgos is very nice - the secret to finding it is keep going beyond he main road in Castanares, as described above. It is slightly tricky past the factory, but then marker arrows appear and the going is pretty straightforward.

As for into Leon, a new "path" and series of bridge avoids the main road through the industrial outskirts. Much better, and not too hard to follow.

€46,-
A thought.
Apparently the Monastery at Santo Domingo de Silos is quite a wonderful place to visit, and to listen to the Gregorian chant.
Rather than taking a bus from Burgos, has any one walked from Lograno, turning off the 'main' Camino route around Najera and then walking by the river, past Mansilla lake, through Mansilla de la Sierra, Villavelayo, and Canales de la Sierra, etc. to Santo Domingo de Silos?
This would appear to be around 140 kms (whilst from Lograno to Burgos it is only 115 kms, then one can take the bus up to the Monastery).
Suzanne :)

The lateral camino to Santo Domingo de Silos goes around the fairly substantial mountains between Logrono/Najera and Santo Domingo:
http://www.mundicamino.com/rutas.cfm?id=67
I would expect mostly road walking and few accommodations on a self-designed route through the mountains.

The monastery is at a low spot in the terrain, so there is no need to take a bus up to it; more likely a bus will go down to it! Like you, I await someone who has walked this route. It is most likely that any walkers to Santo Domingo de Silos arrive from Burgos or Madrid.

I have seen a fair number of negative comments regarding the entry into Burgos, but don't understand this when both Brierley and Dintaman-Landis show a pleasant route along the Rio Arlanzon.

On page 132 of the latter book, the authors state, "This is by far the most pleasant way to enter Burgos . . . ". Below is a link to a map from San Juan de Ortega, although it doesn't indicate Brierley's orange route from above Villaval, which avoids the paved road walking through Cardenuela and Orbaneja Riopico. Street view indicates that many peregrinos follow this "lower" route.

http://ridewithgps.com/routes/6944503

The route on the map slightly shortens the Castanares option, and eliminates some paved road segments, as well as the (I imagine ;-) tedious stretch along the airport fence, but otherwise follows the Dintaman-Landis description for the River Option. The modified section is roughly between miles 9-12, with the official route always just north of that indicated. Those following Brierley's recommended route to Orbaneja should have just a little road walking there before turning south on a dirt track. My belief is that Brierley's route is the northwestern part of the rough rectangle between Orbaneja and the junction north of Villaval.

Charles

€46,-
It is a much better alternative, but wasn't/isn't well signposted. I haven't walked the Frances since 2012, but on that occasion I was actively looking for it, knew pretty much where it was, but still missed it and had to double back slightly.

I followed this route in 2011 and in 2014. In 2011 I was with an experienced pilgrim who knew where to go.

It was definitely easier to find in 2014....but not all that well signposted and we had to double back at one point - but I persisted because I knew it was nicer than the other routes into Burgos.

It is a nice walk along the river so it is worth trying to find!

buen camino

I've walked on the left side of the airport and on the right side of the airport and both side suck, equally. Next time i will try the longer river/park route, alhough i must say that i did not hear that many great things about that also, but i am sure it might be better then the other 2 options.

I did think about taking it last time, but i walked from Belorado to Burgos last time, but it was a long and very hot day and i did not want the last 7km to be without any food or drink options, as i understand the park route is.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
It is a much better alternative, but wasn't/isn't well signposted. I haven't walked the Frances since 2012, but on that occasion I was actively looking for it, knew pretty much where it was, but still missed it and had to double back slightly.
Me too. Me too (2012 and all) except that I never really found it after doubling back. That said, I didn't really mind the walk along the airport and long road.

Burgos is a big city - as I recall a great deal of urban walking just to get to it. We followed the Brierley guide and chose the option that kept us to the left of the airport. I can't pinpoint exactly where we joined the river, but we were surprised to learn it was still another two hours' walk to the cathedral, a pleasant walk nonetheless; we walked along the right side of the river. In a way, I was sorry to miss the points of interest along the old route through the city itself, but the river route was the choice we made that day.

I'm determined the find the nicer route next time! In spite of our best efforts, we ended up walking through the industrial areas last year. It wasn't as awful as we expected, but the river walk would have been much more pleasant.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I also took the river route in 2012 but a local showed me where to cross to the left bank when we reached the river so we had a very pleasant walk into Burgos through the Park, I would choose this route again.

I'm determined the find the nicer route next time! In spite of our best efforts, we ended up walking through the industrial areas last year. It wasn't as awful as we expected, but the river walk would have been much more pleasant.
There is another thread on this subject with maps and instructions on the river route, I will find it later and post the link.

I was following a 'pack' of people who on crossing the highway all turned right to continue down the highway... there is a tiny sign with a gravel road going straight over the highway - I stopped at the sign and saw 2 ladies who had gone down this road - I followed them and ended up taking the longer but way more left bank of the river scenic route to Burgos - the river is on your right, it's a quiet pretty walk, then a few km before the main archway entrance to Burgos there are parks, locals walking dogs, cycling etc - interestingly one of the more pretty city entrances on the Camino for me

Attachments

• DSCN0987.JPG
    DSCN0987.JPG
    54.4 KB · Views: 32
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
For anyone who wants to try my proposed mod, you'll need to use satellite view from Orbaneja for most of it, due to no street view images. It's just a little bit shorter, but should provide a more pleasant transition to the river route. I do have images for it in Castenares.

An aerial overview - the diagonal crossing of N-120 is in the upper right, and the blue ped bridge is at bottom left

Burgos entry A1 - Proposed alternate route thru Castenares.jpg

Approaching N-120

Burgos entry A2 - approaching N-120 on modified entry to Castanares.jpg

After crossing N-120. Note that there is a restaurant here, as one person mentioned they preferred the traditional routes due to the lack of food or water on the river route.

Burgos entry A3 - Castanares - modified entry.jpg

Approach to the park - cut through diagonally to the far corner, then follow the road to the concrete plant.

Burgos entry A4 - Castanares park - cut thru to far corner.jpg

If anyone tries this modification, I'd be curious how it works out for you.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I also took the river route in 2012 but a local showed me where to cross to the left bank when we reached the river so we had a very pleasant walk into Burgos through the Park, I would choose this route again.

Yes. I walked on the left side of the river through the park too. I had trouble finding the crossing and a very helpful local detoured on his daily walk and took me over the nearest bridge. It is a delightful walk. A good wide path shared with mothers and their babies, people walking their dogs, and the elderly out socialising and just enjoying their day. And the approach to the city centre is inspiring. I still remember my first glimpse of the cathedral spires.

===>>> N.B. - I had originally uploaded non-compressed Google images, and am replacing the message with compressed files.

I looked at the earlier thread, and Anne's description is good, except that it is a concrete plant in Castenares and not a factory.

I've created a set of images to help visualize the approach to the river route. Since there is minimal street view coverage of my proposed modification, I will primarily show the "official" route, and then some images of my mod passing through Castenares.

It seems that there are two important decision points for following the river route.
The first is the split before the airport, and the second is crossing N-120 in Castenares Vs. turning right on it.

Here is the approach to the split by the airport and the signs there.
Burgos entry - Approaching the split.jpg Burgos entry - Signs at the split.jpg

The approach to and through Castenares.

Approaching the N-120

Burgos entry 1 - approaching the N-120 in Castanares.jpg

After crossing the N-120

Burgos entry 2 - after crossing the N-120 in Castanares.jpg

The park and playground on L

Burgos entry 3 - park and playground on L in Castanares.jpg

Turn R at the concrete plant after crossing a small bridge

Burgos entry 4 - turn R at the concrete plant after crossing a small bridge.jpg

Turn L after the concrete plant

Burgos entry 5 - turn L after the concrete plant.jpg

Cross a bright blue pedestrian bridge

Burgos entry 6 - cross bright blue pedestrian bridge.jpg

Cross under the highway - note that this image is the reverse view, so you would be walking toward the cyclist.
Burgos entry 7 - path approaching the highway underpass, looking backwards.jpg

From here bear right at all forks, and don't cross any more bridges until you see the cathedral.

€60,-
Go raibh maith agat @wayfarer - very decent of you to do that.

Thank you Nuala. I organize several group bicycle tours every summer (Vermont mostly) and really enjoy finding good routes for my riders. RWGPS has made it much easier/faster for me to plot out potential routes to check distance and elevation. Of course I always do a scouting trip to look at it myself, but it's also fun to plan virtual trips.

I've been laying out a possible MTB Camino for myself, mostly on the path but using alternate routes for several types of situations. It's been challenging and fun to try following the entire Camino from above, also using street view to look for arrows (or peregrinos ;-) to confirm things. It takes a little work to find, capture and edit the images, but that is also an enjoyable and satisfying project for me.

Another restaurant in Castanares - across from the park, and next to the church and a fountain.
Those turning right on N-120 may not spot this, as it's in the block to the left.

Another restaurant in Castanares.jpg

€46,-
I followed AnnaKappa's directions last October and found the route, but it was still a little confusing. Charles' description is very thorough.

I found the walk seemed endless, even on that green route. I think it's because psychologically you think you are "about to enter" Burgos, and it takes a lot longer than entering the typical camino town!

I found the walk seemed endless, even on that green route.

We cycled along the river, although our approach was via Arlanzon and Castrillo del Val. It must have been a Sunday or holiday, as around Cardenajimeno we started seeing folks picnicking and playing, enjoying their city.

I think it's because psychologically you think you are "about to enter" Burgos, and it takes a lot longer than entering the typical camino town!

Perhaps another reason for taking a break in Castanares - that El Descanso looks quite relaxing ;-)
I always find it very exciting to enter a large city for the first time, especially on bicycle.

The only section that may be tricky is after walking some 3 kms with the airport on your right. Go across the N-120 (don’t follow the yellow arrows that point you to the right just before reaching the N-120) and find the café/bar on the other side of the road towards the left. (Stop for a café con leche or a beer, whatever time of day it is, as there isn’t another bar for the next hour.) Now continue straight across the playground bearing towards the right at the end. Continue straight down this road towards the industrial area, and follow the road round to the right. The road then suddenly ends, and so you think you’ve gone wrong, but keep walking, now along a path, which soon bears left and then crosses a footbridge. Now stay on this path (actually any path, as it splits several times, but they all come together again), and you’ll find yourself walking parallel to the A1 freeway on your left. Eventually the path goes under the freeway and you emerge into parkland. The rest is easy. Just keep the river on your right hand side. There are many people around: joggers, cyclists, people walking their dogs, and getting busier as you get closer to Burgos, some 3 kms further after going under the freeway. Jill

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Another restaurant in Castanares - across from the park, and next to the church and a fountain.
Those turning right on N-120 may not spot this, as it's in the block to the left.

View attachment 16413
This is the view looking backwards, i.e after you have crossed the N-120 and now past the café, and into the playground. Jill

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
This is the view looking backwards, i.e after you have crossed the N-120 and now past the café, and into the playground. Jill

backwards - that would depend on how you approach it, and certainly not using my proposed modification
Actually - it's from the street, and I'm quite certain the Google cars don't drive through playgrounds.
I looked at the other side, but it's rather boring and doesn't show the outdoor tables, where C clearly can rest before her interminable walk to downtown ;-)

backwards - that would depend on how you approach it, and certainly not using my proposed modification
Actually - it's from the street, and I'm quite certain the Google cars don't drive through playgrounds.
I looked at the other side, but it's rather boring and doesn't show the outdoor tables, where C clearly can rest before her interminable walk to downtown ;-)
Ah, OK, I remember the café as being to the left of the church as you cross the road, but must be imagining that. I see the bus stop now, missed it when looking at the picture earlier. Do I see 2 pilgrims standing in the bus stop waiting for a bus? Ah, no, must have imagined that as well! :)

I, like many others, followed the less desirable route through the city in Burgos even though I had sat down with the Brierley guide the night before. I stayed in Atapuerca that night and it was too dark to see any signage or arrows once I left.
This year, I'll do my best to find the elusive better route.

I accomplished quite a feat on my Camino. I became the first pilgrim in history who enjoyed the walk into Burgos. I was going to take the "scenic" route, but thanks to Brierley and his wonderful directions, I instead ended up on the traditional slog route. And it was great! I can't explain it, but it felt great to walk through the heart of the "real" city. I think I received more "buen caminos" in that stretch then I had anywhere else. And I'll always remember the older Spanish gentleman, in his suit and tie, giving me a nod and a thumbs up. It was if he was saying, "Good for you, son!" I loved the hustle and bustle. It was almost intoxicating!

As for the "ugliness" of the industrial part, I think seeing those things does a pilgrim good. Factories, warehouses, and the like make civilized life possible. They provide jobs for people. Just because something isn't "pretty" doesn't mean we shouldn't take time to appreciate it.

Although my group cycled the river route (from Cardenajimeno) and greatly enjoyed it, I'm a fan of urban industrial architecture, so can easily appreciate Jeff's experience. Following up on it - and outside Jeff's socio-economic perspective, I often find industrial structures visually fascinating (perhaps factories and warehouses less so) although it may require you to adopt a different aesthetic than you're used to. I should think that adopting a different aesthetic (even if temporarily) is a very "pilgrimagesque" experience.

I walked that way yesterday and it was lovely.
Adding 2 pic from the walk. The marks are whit a bit distance between but it's no problem finding the way.
Good luck

Attachments

• DSC_3533.JPG
    DSC_3533.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 29
  • DSC_3535.JPG
    DSC_3535.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 31
I have finally worked out how to attach the photo! This is the first sight one gets of the Cathedral of Burgos, when taking the alternate route into the city. It was a lovely walk in without one sign of asphalt. Anne
This is brilliant .Will differently use this route wasn't looking forward to walking though the industrial area thank you

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I'd like some recommendations about where to find the most current and up to date information about albergues that are actually open. I'm currently walking the camino Frances, and I can't even...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back