• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Alternate Route into Pamplona worth the time and effort

D

Deleted member 43985

This year I decided to try the alternative river walk into Pamplona and really enjoyed it. When the route goes under the highway to the rest area outside of Pamplona, instead of taking off up the steep path you walk back across the bridge towards the city. Then there are nice pathways along the river that will eventually join you up with the main route just before Puente Magdalena. You lose a nice section of dirt track in the beginning but gain a much nice transit through the city. If you’ve taken the main path before I would certainly recommend the alternate your next go round!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi, I´m just planning .gpx track for my upcoming Camino route, so seing your post, I immediately check your advice via Google Earth (street view, photos) and didn´t gain the same impression. Native route to Pamplona doesn´t seem as dirty and passes very close to all nice places in the city. So I will use original camino and maybe another year I can possibly try it along the river, what is a little bit longer and also more calm.
Attached you can see part of my .gpx track (yellow) through Pamplona center. In some places I added small detours to meet all the nicest points in the city. Thanks, Hi, Jaro

Attachments

• Pamplona.png
    Pamplona.png
    3.6 MB · Views: 28
On the way to Pamplona I stoped by the abbey and spoke to Neil and he advised to take the bike route which went via the river it was great advice as it was raining and the other track would not have been fun. So if you have a chance on the way to Pamplona stop by the abbey and speak to Neil for any advice ( he had the most photographed lettuces they were red and green)

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
So, it sounds like the river route will be good to bypass the city or if it is raining. Good to have options.
I believe Jozero is referring to a spot about 8km before Pamplona. There are different points of view about traditional routes... at Irotz, there is a path with an arrow that is parallel to the tarmac path that leads to the rest area. Taking the little path rather than the tarmac path leads you to Lower Zabaldika. Once there, you can go right, cross the road carefully and take the short and steep path to the church of San Esteban in Zabaldika Upper. If you choose to go left, you follow the tarmac path that ends with a very short tunnel just at the rest area. Here you choose. Climb, and connect with the path leading from Zabaldika Upper, and snake around the shoulder of the hill till you come to Trinidad de Arre, approx 5 km from Pamplona. Or walk along the tarmac path that borders the river and comes out in Huarte, and continue to Pamplona. So, this does not bypass the city. The advantage of the river path is that it provides shade in high summer, and is a dream for cyclists. Neil always tells people to take the river walk. If you know the options you can make up your own mind.

When the route goes under the highway to the rest area outside of Pamplona, instead of taking off up the steep path you walk back across the bridge towards the city. Then there are nice pathways along the river

Hi, I took this route a couple of years ago and it was really lovely. I had to negotiate getting through Huarte and finding the cycle track again on the other side, but it wasn’t too difficult, and that was before I had GoogleMaps or MapsMe on my phone.
Jill

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
This year I decided to try the alternative river walk into Pamplona and really enjoyed it. When the route goes under the highway to the rest area outside of Pamplona, instead of taking off up the steep path you walk back across the bridge towards the city. Then there are nice pathways along the river that will eventually join you up with the main route just before Puente Magdalena. You lose a nice section of dirt track in the beginning but gain a much nice transit through the city. If you’ve taken the main path before I would certainly recommend the alternate your next go round!
Thank you for this :)

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
I was reading somewhere that some of us are doing night walks. As a natural born night owl I would love to do such walk too. Of course I can choose stage by myself (CF). But was wondering if any...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back