• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Alternate Route into Pamplona

Robo

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Frances 15,16,18
VdlP 23, Invierno 23, Fisterra 23
For Camino #3 I plan to take things slowly. Yes, even slower, if that were even possible :oops:

For a couple or four reasons really.
  1. It is the journey itself that I love most, not the arriving or finishing.
  2. My feet are not in good shape, so I need to limit myself to 20-25 kms a day. A couple of 30+ days first time around almost ended my Camino. Or felt like it.
  3. Long sections of road walking are a killer for my Achilles Tendonitis.
  4. And the top priority.......long road sections are also a killer for my 'dearly beloved' who suffers from Plantaar Faciitis.
So, what am I doing on a Sunday morning? Researching the route of course!

I'm looking at ways of avoiding those long road sections, particularly at the end of the day.

I recall the final section into Pamplona was not that great from the perspective of my feet. About 8 kms of pounding the roads.

I see in the Brierley guide there is alternative route. Starting at Arre? That follows the river to Puenta Magdalena.

If anyone has tried this route.....

Is it well marked?
Is it much longer? (Always a tough call, but I would 'trade' an extra Km or two for a softer surface)

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Hola @Robo - I made a similar mistake around Zabaldika - crossed over to see the old church and get a stamp but did no retrace my steps back over the river (so I walked through the village). According to Brierley there is another diversion after the tunel under the road but by then I was in another world so did not see the alternate route (or a sign to Huarte). It would have to be better than the main route through the town along the road. Maybe if this post is seen by a pilgrim in Larrosoana or Zubiri we can get a report. Cheers

My bad translation from the generally trustful Gronze guide:
"At the bridge of Arre we have two alternatives to get to Pamplona: the official route along the sidewalks of Villava and Burlada, or following the river walk along the Arga river, pleasant and shady, frequented by walkers and cyclists, to the Magdalena Bridge, where we recover the yellow arrows. Between the two bridges, by the official road there are 3.7 km, and by the river walk, 4.9 km."
This alternative seems easy and good.
I have looked also at the webpage of Paseo fluvial del Arga and apparently this river walk starts well before Arre. But I think this interesting variant requires some careful study and planning.

Last edited:
The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Hola @Robo - I made a similar mistake around Zabaldika - crossed over to see the old church and get a stamp but did no retrace my steps back over the river (so I walked through the village). According to Brierley there is another diversion after the tunel under the road but by then I was in another world so did not see the alternate route (or a sign to Huarte). It would have to be better than the main route through the town along the road. Maybe if this post is seen by a pilgrim in Larrosoana or Zubiri we can get a report. Cheers

Hi Mike. Yes I went up to the old church at Zabaldika too. A very worthwhile diversion. But I stayed up on the hill and took the path along the hillside, rejoining the main route further on. The path was quite clear.

My bad translation from the generally trustful Gronze guide:
"At the bridge of Arre we have two alternatives to get to Pamplona: the official route along the sidewalks of Villava and Burlada, or following the river walk along the Arga river, pleasant and shady, frequented by walkers and cyclists, to the Magdalena Bridge, where we recover the yellow arrows. Between the two bridges, by the official road the are 3.7 km, and by the river walk, 4.9 km."
This alternative seems easy and good.
I have looked also at the webpage of Paseo fluvial del Arga and apparently this river walk starts well before Arre. But I think this interesting variant requires some careful study and planning.

Thanks Felipe. 1.2 kms extra over a mere 4 km stretch? Wow. Tough call :rolleyes:
But I think we might be trying the river route :)

Thanks Felipe. 1.2 kms extra over a mere 4 km stretch? Wow. Tough call :rolleyes:
But I think we might be trying the river route :)
Thinking in might be worth doing it.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
For Camino #3 I plan to take things slowly. Yes, even slower, if that were even possible :oops:

2. My feet are not in good shape, so I need to limit myself to 20-25 kms a day. A couple of 30+ days first time around almost ended my Camino. Or felt like it.
  4. And the top priority.......long road sections are also a killer for my 'dearly beloved' who suffers from Plantaar Faciitis.

I'm looking at ways of avoiding those long road sections, particularly at the end of the day.

I recall the final section into Pamplona was not that great from the perspective of my feet. About 8 kms of pounding the roads.

I see in the Brierley guide there is alternative route. Starting at Arre? That follows the river to Puenta Magdalena.

Is it well marked?
Is it much longer? (Always a tough call, but I would 'trade' an extra Km or two for a softer surface)
You don't need a guide book or a map to find your way on CF at all. On any diversion. You can be blind and deaf so to speak and you'll still be on the Camino. If you want some more info on history etc. then you know what you should do/buy.!

Buen Camino!

You don't need a guide book or a map to find your way on CF at all. On any diversion. You can be blind and deaf so to speak and you'll still be on the Camino. If you want some more info on history etc. then you know what you should do/buy.!

Buen Camino!

Yes I understand that. ;)
But guide books only tell part of the story and are often out of date or inaccurate.
I was just curious to hear from someone who had actually walked that route.
To find out if was a 'softer' surface.....

Hi Robo,

I walked along the river in 2011. As I recall, it was a nice parkland and busy with locals. It was a paved path but I suppose it may be softer than the footpaths through the suburbs - and you could wander onto the grass!

buen camino

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
From Arre I've walked both the suburbs route and the river route. Both are short and both have good points. I preferred the suburbs because of the snapshot it offers of people's lives and the good pastry shops!!! Connecting with fellow human beings is high on my list of reasons for walking the camino. Strong memory of cheeky kids playing bull fight with a set of horns on wheels and showing off to be photographed by us passing pilgrims. Alternatively the river route offers some more natural scenery and I can understand that appeal too.

Can I add if you are looking for an easier route from earlier than Arre, don't take the path up to the old church at Zabaldika because it channels you onto the high path towards Pamplona. Instead you can take the far easier and flatter cyclist route by the river.
I can understand if health reasons dictate what your priorities are but the church at Zalbaldika was for me special enough to take the more difficult high route. Wishing you a very happy and healthy camino.
IMG_4731.JPG IMG_4725.JPG IMG_4727.JPG IMG_4729.JPG

Last edited:
Last year, I decided not to climb up to Zabaldika (a sharp right turn), but stuck to the "river route" thinking it would be easier. In fact it was much longer, because of bends in the river. I also missed out on seeing the Romanesque church of Zabaldika and the ancient albergue of Trinidad de Arre. Now I feel sorry about this, and plan to retrace my steps from Pamplona when I get there next week. This alternative route is explained clearly in the Wise Pilgrim Guide. Also, as Brierley points out, there are plenty of buses from Villava if you feel worn out!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi Robo, I walked into Pamplona last year by this route. I can't advise you on how to reach it, as I was coming from the Camino del Baztan. However, one you're on it, it's very straightforward. I don't think there are yellow arrows, but as it's a recreational path, there are plenty of other signs.

I am a bit confused about the river walk before Arre. When I was there, a local cyclist stopped and gave me a detailed and enthusiastic explanation of the the more scenic alternative. I was afraid of getting lost, so I stuck to the "traditional" way. But he seemed to imply that after Zabaldika, when the Camino cross the main paved road, in a picnic area with some barbecues, it was the connection with the river bank stroll, apparently here in google maps (with an orientation panel). The other, "normal" path is some steps further, facing the barbecues, up the hill, here.

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Of the two alternatives cited in
Felipe's post above since January 2009 I have always followed the first, ie. the river bank stroll, which is easier since it avoids climbing the slippery gravel hill.

Late that January the famous Arga River where Hemingway once liked to fish was churning with high water. Walking towards Pamplona I had worried about the area on the path remembered from past caminos where it mounts steeply and clings to a cliff for a stretch before leveling. It could be very dangerous in pouring rain!

Suddenly from the distant mist appeared a slim fellow holding an umbrella. At first I was leery since it was hardly weather for strolling! We greeted each other and chatted mixing Spanish, French and English. Best of all he knew and thus together we followed along that level river bank path which would join one to Trinidad de Arre! ...All these years later I still fondly recall how he kindly walked me safely to the monastery holding his umbrella over both our heads like a helpful Narnia faun!.

Last edited:
I am a bit confused about the river walk before Arre. When I was there, a local cyclist stopped and gave me a detailed and enthusiastic explanation of the the more scenic alternative. I was afraid of getting lost, so I stuck to the "traditional" way. But he seemed to imply that after Zabaldika, when the Camino cross the main paved road, in a picnic area with some barbecues, it was the connection with the river bank stroll, apparently here in google maps (with an orientation panel). The other, "normal" path is some steps further, facing the barbecues, up the hill, here.
Exactly the spots where two routes started after resting area. I walked both and liked both. Just to add that situation in link for river walk is orientated in direction where resting area is. So if you walk from resting area along the main road you should turn sharp right immediately after the bridge. Very easy to find.

Walking towards Pamplona I had worried about the area on the path remembered from past caminos where it mounts steeply and clings to a cliff for a stretch before leveling. It could be very dangerous in pouring rain!.

Yes, I fell down there. Without consequences, fortunately. The descent is not very steep, but it is very slippery.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Is it well marked?

From recent experience: taking the route from Zabaldika, or connecting with that by climbing up from the rest area, where the paths will join, you head to Arre. At the point where you would turn right to cross the bridge and see the beautiful albergue at the other side, keep straight on. That takes you along the river path , coming out at the end of Burlada, and facing up towards the puente de la Madalena, and in via the French arch. I walked out to Zabaldika by that route this summer, from the underpass at the end/start of Burlada. There are always people walking or cycling, and in fact at the point where I had to cross the road just after the Mill, a walker took my pace for the short distance to the bridge at Trinidad de Arre, but even with my poor orientation skills, I could not have got lost. There is another river path leading from the rest area at the bottom of the hill below Zabaldika. That path leads to Huarte, then on into Pamplona. It is a tarmac surface, so almost the same as road walking except without traffic.

We stayed at Trinidad de Arre albergue in 2016 and then walked through city the next morning. didn't realize there was a river route. But we had a nice breakfast in town.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
As a seasoned Navarra pilgrim I usually take a bus from Pamplona to Cizur Menor missing the urban enviroment.
I know that that the trudge though the city from Trinidad is a boring city walk. Although it is not quite what you were looking at? ...........perhaps a bus?

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
the river route is probably paved all the way (at least looks like this on googe, and it was from Huarte on when I walked it), but you can always walk on the grass alongside.
there are several possibilites to opt or change from CF to the river route.

first split: after you cross the fine medieval bridge across river Arga upon leaving Irotz. right along the river is the flat paved river walk, and above but parallel is CF that follows a path to the lower part of the Zabaldika village.

second split: in the lower part of the Zabaldika village, CF goes L down to the river then follows the paved river path, passing under N-135, to the rest area. the route via the upper part of the Zabaldika village, via the church and the albergue, goes R up across N-135, climbs to both, then a path runs above the CF to join it for the final stretch to the tunnel under PA-30 highway, by-passing the rest area. (although, there used to be a path from the upper part of Zabaldika to the rest area, too. ask in the albergue.)

third split: the rest area. CF leaves it via a short wooden footbridge next to an info board. for the river route, pass the little hut with the toilets, cross the old bridge across river Arga and turn right to a paved river route.

fourth split: before the Trinidad de Arre medieval bridge. CF goes across to the albergue then turns L for the city walk through Villava and Burlada to Puente de la Magdalena. for the river route, stay on this side of the river Ultzama, follow it past Molino de san Andrés where it crosses the river and follows its other bank past another fine long old bridge and under Avenida de Baja Navarra.

how to cut off the river meanders:

following the river Arga, when you reach the first houses of Huarte (just after a small viewing area with a board explaining El transporte de madera por los rios Arga y Ultzama), veer R up the street Calle Ibaialde. the yellow arrows should appear to guide you to the main street through Huarte, Calle Zubiarte, and right along it, off which is the albergue. keep in this direction across the river Arga again, past the gardens, across two roundabout edings of two streets, up and down, until you see a stone bridge on the right below the road. descend the stairs to it, cross it (and river Arga), and turn left (before a road ahead) to go under the road you descended from. follow the river Arga past Molino de san Andrés and further on.

after you pass the fine long old bridge and go under Avenida de Baja Navarra, the river route comes right to Camino Burlada street with CF, rounding a stream. to cut off the last meandring leg of the river route, simply hop to CF.

the most direct river route is roughly 900m longer then CF via the upper part of Zabaldika.

I attached images with CF in yellow and the river routes and their alternatives in green, to help you visualize the route; and the images with distances.

zabaldika - arre or huarte.jpg arre or huarte - pamplona.jpg zabaldika - puente magdalena CF.jpg zabaldika - puente magdalena river.jpg

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back