Search 59,165 Camino Questions

A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement
2022 Camino Guides
The 2022 Camino guides will be coming out little by little, most of them by the end of 2021. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Camino Maps
A collection of Camino Maps from the Camino Forum Store

Alternate route to Sarria

Crandall

Past OR future Camino
April (2020)
I will start from SJPP on April 21st. I am not really wanting to stay on the French Way, at least from Sarria to Santiago. I would rather switch to Norte somewhere along The Way. Any suggestions on a good plan to do this?

A thought-provoking Camino memoir. This day-by-day account will inspire you.
Pilgrim Pouch carry bags with different designs
A lightweight carry bag handy for walking, biking, traveling, & Caminos

mark connolly

Past OR future Camino
sept 2016 CF
sept 2017 Lourdes to SJPDP via Piemonte
SJPDP to SDC via CF
2019 CF (God willing)
You can take a train from Sarria to Baamonde and pick up the Norte from there.

Anamiri

Veteran Member
Past OR future Camino
2016, 2017, 2019 Camino Frances
Have you considered the Invierno from Ponferada as an option, that's what I'll do next time rather than the Sarria option.
I think that other Caminos join up with the Frances at Melide, so thats a way to avoid crowds if that's why you wanted to switch.
Plenty of info on this forum about the Invierno.

Crandall

Past OR future Camino
April (2020)
Have you considered the Invierno from Ponferada as an option, that's what I'll do next time rather than the Sarria option.
I think that other Caminos join up with the Frances at Melide, so thats a way to avoid crowds if that's why you wanted to switch.
Plenty of info on this forum about the Invierno.
Thanks, I will research that. i am leaning toward switching to the Norte because of it being along the coastline. Love the water and vistas.

Anamiri

Veteran Member
Past OR future Camino
2016, 2017, 2019 Camino Frances
Thanks, I will research that. i am leaning toward switching to the Norte because of it being along the coastline. Love the water and vistas.
From the maps I have checked, the Norte turns inland in the area north of Sarria. If you check maps you'll see that all routes start turning to Santiago with the final legs well away from the coast.
You would need to head north and then quite a long way east if you want to get a decent walk along the coastline.
Have you considered walking the Norte instead of a Frances/Norte combo? Or making your way to the Norte much earlier. You could for instance take a bus from Burgos to Bilbao, and continue the Norte from there. Then you get a good walk from SJPDP, explore Burgos, a short bus ride, explore Bilbao and then head off on the other.
I took a side trip to Bilbao (to see the Guggenheim) and back from Burgos on my Camino, the bus station is in the middle of town in Burgos, and easy to get to, and a pleasant trip to Bilbao - I have to confess to snoozing off in the bus.

Camino Maps
how to successfully prepare for your Camino
This book's focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared.

gerardcarey

Veteran Member
Past OR future Camino
CFx2, CPx1
From the maps I have checked, the Norte turns inland in the area north of Sarria. If you check maps you'll see that all routes start turning to Santiago with the final legs well away from the coast.
You would need to head north and then quite a long way east if you want to get a decent walk along the coastline.
Have you considered walking the Norte instead of a Frances/Norte combo? Or making your way to the Norte much earlier. You could for instance take a bus from Burgos to Bilbao, and continue the Norte from there. Then you get a good walk from SJPDP, explore Burgos, a short bus ride, explore Bilbao and then head off on the other.
I took a side trip to Bilbao (to see the Guggenheim) and back from Burgos on my Camino, the bus station is in the middle of town in Burgos, and easy to get to, and a pleasant trip to Bilbao - I have to confess to snoozing off in the bus.
It's also a really cool train ride from Burgos to Bilbao. Up and over the mountains.
Regards
Gerard

Past OR future Camino
Next up 2022?
Personally, I don't like breaking up a camino by jumping ahead or to anoter route by wheels. I had to do that once because of time constraints, and it really broke the rhythm of the walk. So...you could walk the Norte. You could take the San Salvador from Leon, then walk to the Norte from Oviedo - continuing on the Ruta do Mar/Ingles thus avoiding the Francés freeway completely after Leon. You have options!

Crandall

Past OR future Camino
April (2020)
Sounds great to me! Will research it today. Thanks

wayfarer

Staff member
Past OR future Camino
I will start from SJPP on April 21st. I am not really wanting to stay on the French Way, at least from Sarria to Santiago. I would rather switch to Norte somewhere along The Way. Any suggestions on a good plan to do this?
If you are walking the CF then you should walk it all including Sarria IMO. It gets bad press from some here as does the Meseta but its all part and parcel of the CF and unless you want to cherrypick the "best" bits then you should do it. I have been on that section twice, the path is beautiful and interesting, a little busier and noisier but that's life.

how to successfully prepare for your Camino
This book's focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared.
Camino Maps
Past OR future Camino
Next up 2022?
You could take the San Salvador from Leon, then walk to the Norte from Oviedo - continuing on the Ruta do Mar/Ingles thus avoiding the Francés freeway completely after Leon.
The San Salvador:
The Ruta do Mar:

Princessleah

Past OR future Camino
Hi
You could also take the bus from Sarria and go to Ferrol and walk the Ingles. It's about the same distance to Santiago as Sarria and it's beautiful too.
Leah

trecile

Camino Addict
Past OR future Camino
Francés (2016 & 2017), Norte (2018), Francés-Salvador-Norte (2019), Portuguese (2019)
I must have walked a different Camino than most because I actually really enjoyed both the Meseta and the last 100km from Sarria! 😂
Me too.
And there's something special about walking those last 100 km with the same pilgrims that you started with in SJPDP.

Freetogo

Past OR future Camino
If you are walking the CF then you should walk it all including Sarria IMO. It gets bad press from some here as does the Meseta but its all part and parcel of the CF and unless you want to cherrypick the "best" bits then you should do it. I have been on that section twice, the path is beautiful and interesting, a little busier and noisier but that's life.
Another way to stay in " the zone" from Sarria onwards, is to book habitacions a couple of days ahead. By then you will probably be walking with members of your camino family, so a room for two or four should not be too expensive. And I agree with all previous comments - grow where you've been planted! I.e. don't cherry pick your path, you will regret it imo.

Create your own ad
€1,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Camino Jewellery
A selection of Camino Jewellery

Crandall

Past OR future Camino
April (2020)
Why not just walk the Norte instead of the Francés?

Why not just walk the Norte instead of the Francés?
This will be my first Camino. Part of wanting to do the Camino is meeting other Pilgrims. The Frances will give me a better opportunity to do that. At the same time, don't want the super crowds after Sarria. Guess i want my cake and eat it too!
I appreciate your perspective. Right now, my Camino is planning my Camino. I live reading, planning and dreaming about it. I realize that once I am walking and meet my Camino family, things will flow and become exactly what its supposed to be. Its all good!

David Tallan

Veteran Member
Past OR future Camino
This will be my first Camino. Part of wanting to do the Camino is meeting other Pilgrims. The Frances will give me a better opportunity to do that. At the same time, don't want the super crowds after Sarria. Guess i want my cake and eat it too!

I appreciate your perspective. Right now, my Camino is planning my Camino. I live reading, planning and dreaming about it. I realize that once I am walking and meet my Camino family, things will flow and become exactly what its supposed to be. Its all good!
On the one hand, the Norte is by no means unpopulated with pilgrims. If you walk the Norte at any time but the depths of winter, I would expect that you would meet other pilgrims (and during the depths of winter you might want to walk the CF after Sarria to have a chance of meeting other pilgrims).

On the other hand, while there are certainly many more pilgrims after Sarria, I wouldn't call it "super crowded", especially if you time it so that you are passing through Sarria mid-week so as to avoid the bubble. Yes there are more pilgrims. There were a lot more pilgrims before Sarria in 2016 than there were on my first Camino in 1989. By 1989 standards, it was "super crowded". But I liked it. The other pilgrims were one of the best parts of the Camino.

Did not find what you were looking for? Search here

Popular Resources

“All” Albergues on the Camino Frances in one pdf ivar
  • Featured
“All” Albergues on the Camino Frances in one pdf
4.95 star(s) 102 ratings
Downloads
Updated
A selection of favorite albergues on the Camino Francés Ton van Tilburg
Favorite Albergues along the Camino Frances
4.83 star(s) 35 ratings
Downloads