• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Alternate route to Sarria

Crandall

Time of past OR future Camino
April (2020)
I will start from SJPP on April 21st. I am not really wanting to stay on the French Way, at least from Sarria to Santiago. I would rather switch to Norte somewhere along The Way. Any suggestions on a good plan to do this?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
You can take a train from Sarria to Baamonde and pick up the Norte from there.

Have you considered the Invierno from Ponferada as an option, that's what I'll do next time rather than the Sarria option.
I think that other Caminos join up with the Frances at Melide, so thats a way to avoid crowds if that's why you wanted to switch.
Plenty of info on this forum about the Invierno.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Have you considered the Invierno from Ponferada as an option, that's what I'll do next time rather than the Sarria option.
I think that other Caminos join up with the Frances at Melide, so thats a way to avoid crowds if that's why you wanted to switch.
Plenty of info on this forum about the Invierno.
Thanks, I will research that. i am leaning toward switching to the Norte because of it being along the coastline. Love the water and vistas.

Thanks, I will research that. i am leaning toward switching to the Norte because of it being along the coastline. Love the water and vistas.
From the maps I have checked, the Norte turns inland in the area north of Sarria. If you check maps you'll see that all routes start turning to Santiago with the final legs well away from the coast.
You would need to head north and then quite a long way east if you want to get a decent walk along the coastline.
Have you considered walking the Norte instead of a Frances/Norte combo? Or making your way to the Norte much earlier. You could for instance take a bus from Burgos to Bilbao, and continue the Norte from there. Then you get a good walk from SJPDP, explore Burgos, a short bus ride, explore Bilbao and then head off on the other.
I took a side trip to Bilbao (to see the Guggenheim) and back from Burgos on my Camino, the bus station is in the middle of town in Burgos, and easy to get to, and a pleasant trip to Bilbao - I have to confess to snoozing off in the bus.

From the maps I have checked, the Norte turns inland in the area north of Sarria. If you check maps you'll see that all routes start turning to Santiago with the final legs well away from the coast.
You would need to head north and then quite a long way east if you want to get a decent walk along the coastline.
Have you considered walking the Norte instead of a Frances/Norte combo? Or making your way to the Norte much earlier. You could for instance take a bus from Burgos to Bilbao, and continue the Norte from there. Then you get a good walk from SJPDP, explore Burgos, a short bus ride, explore Bilbao and then head off on the other.
I took a side trip to Bilbao (to see the Guggenheim) and back from Burgos on my Camino, the bus station is in the middle of town in Burgos, and easy to get to, and a pleasant trip to Bilbao - I have to confess to snoozing off in the bus.
It's also a really cool train ride from Burgos to Bilbao. Up and over the mountains.
Regards
Gerard

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Personally, I don't like breaking up a camino by jumping ahead or to anoter route by wheels. I had to do that once because of time constraints, and it really broke the rhythm of the walk. So...you could walk the Norte. You could take the San Salvador from Leon, then walk to the Norte from Oviedo - continuing on the Ruta do Mar/Ingles thus avoiding the Francés freeway completely after Leon. You have options!

Sounds great to me! Will research it today. Thanks

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I will start from SJPP on April 21st. I am not really wanting to stay on the French Way, at least from Sarria to Santiago. I would rather switch to Norte somewhere along The Way. Any suggestions on a good plan to do this?
If you are walking the CF then you should walk it all including Sarria IMO. It gets bad press from some here as does the Meseta but its all part and parcel of the CF and unless you want to cherrypick the "best" bits then you should do it. I have been on that section twice, the path is beautiful and interesting, a little busier and noisier but that's life.

You could take the San Salvador from Leon, then walk to the Norte from Oviedo - continuing on the Ruta do Mar/Ingles thus avoiding the Francés freeway completely after Leon.
The San Salvador:
The Ruta do Mar:

Hi
You could also take the bus from Sarria and go to Ferrol and walk the Ingles. It's about the same distance to Santiago as Sarria and it's beautiful too.
Leah

If you are walking the CF then you should walk it all including Sarria IMO. It gets bad press from some here as does the Meseta but its all part and parcel of the CF and unless you want to cherrypick the "best" bits then you should do it. I have been on that section twice, the path is beautiful and interesting, a little busier and noisier but that's life.
Another way to stay in " the zone" from Sarria onwards, is to book habitacions a couple of days ahead. By then you will probably be walking with members of your camino family, so a room for two or four should not be too expensive. And I agree with all previous comments - grow where you've been planted! I.e. don't cherry pick your path, you will regret it imo.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Why not just walk the Norte instead of the Francés?

Why not just walk the Norte instead of the Francés?
This will be my first Camino. Part of wanting to do the Camino is meeting other Pilgrims. The Frances will give me a better opportunity to do that. At the same time, don't want the super crowds after Sarria. Guess i want my cake and eat it too!
I appreciate your perspective. Right now, my Camino is planning my Camino. I live reading, planning and dreaming about it. I realize that once I am walking and meet my Camino family, things will flow and become exactly what its supposed to be. Its all good!

This will be my first Camino. Part of wanting to do the Camino is meeting other Pilgrims. The Frances will give me a better opportunity to do that. At the same time, don't want the super crowds after Sarria. Guess i want my cake and eat it too!

I appreciate your perspective. Right now, my Camino is planning my Camino. I live reading, planning and dreaming about it. I realize that once I am walking and meet my Camino family, things will flow and become exactly what its supposed to be. Its all good!
On the one hand, the Norte is by no means unpopulated with pilgrims. If you walk the Norte at any time but the depths of winter, I would expect that you would meet other pilgrims (and during the depths of winter you might want to walk the CF after Sarria to have a chance of meeting other pilgrims).

On the other hand, while there are certainly many more pilgrims after Sarria, I wouldn't call it "super crowded", especially if you time it so that you are passing through Sarria mid-week so as to avoid the bubble. Yes there are more pilgrims. There were a lot more pilgrims before Sarria in 2016 than there were on my first Camino in 1989. By 1989 standards, it was "super crowded". But I liked it. The other pilgrims were one of the best parts of the Camino.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back