• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Alternate Route to Uterga ?

BROWNCOUNTYBOB

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances: 2015, 2017, 2019, 2021
I'm three for three regarding black toes on my right foot and during our last camino, and I earned a black toe on my left foot (so four black toes during three caminos). I'm pretty sure these were developed either during the first day with the descents into Roncesvalles or three days later during the wicked, rocky downhill hike from Alto de Perdon into Uterga. See pasted profile from Gronze.
1616273537603.png

I recall seeing somewhere that it is possible to avoid the bruta, steep rocky downhill by taking the asphalt road into Uterga. Recall the refreshment wagon that is always at the top of the road by Alto de Perdon. I'm guessing you take the left turn from the monument and can proceed along the road all the way to Uterga? Has anyone taken this route? My wife and I are hoping to hike our 4th Camino Frances this fall (mid-Sept to late Oct) and I'd like to give my big toes some rest on the brutal downhill into Uterga.

Gracias ! Bob

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Bob, maybe this is what you're looking for.

@simply B , I am pleased to read the report by @marylynn

On the other hand I am one whose feet seem to slip and slide on the type of surface presented by that descent.

Were I back on that route this is what I would now do.
1) at the summit of Alto-del-Perdon turn right on to the road;
2) down the hill (2 km) past the dozen or so windmills;
3) at the foot take the foothills road to my left (NA1110)
4) after 1 km or so take the left (NA6016) towards Uterga
5) continue nearly 4 km (passing under the Autostrada) to Uterga

This compares with 4 km on the "official" route. Most probably not as scenic as @marylynn description.

kia kaha (take care, be strong, get going)

I have heard that you can take a detour along the road from Alto del Perdon to avoid that downhill, but I have always walked straight down. On a completely other note; blue toes are a sure sign of improper furniture placement in your apartment, in my own experience...

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
On prior posts, I have lots of advice regarding how to avoid black toes. This time I'm simply interested to know how to avoid that rocky downhill climb !

This is good advice posted by Allwyn Wellington, February 4, 2020 and cited by Marc S above. It is longer than direct downhill but much easier.

"Were I back on that route this is what I would now do.
1) at the summit of Alto-del-Perdon turn right on to the road;
2) down the hill (2 km) past the dozen or so windmills;
3) at the foot take the foothills road to my left (NA1110)
4) after 1 km or so take the left (NA6016) towards Uterga
5) continue nearly 4 km (passing under the Autostrada) to Uterga "

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Yes can confirm this is miles easier ( though have not done the downhill route) . It was very quiet.... no other pilgrims and no traffic to speak of, and did wonder at points if it was the right route because it seemed to go on for ages. But it’s fine and takes you to the right destination. Didn’t stop the black toes but one less I guess.... 😎 Would certainly take that route the next time too.

It takes longer but if you can zig zag down the hill and put your hiking pole into the ground in front of you first for stability and to prevent sliding. Look down and try to choose your steps a little carefully. it can be tedious and tiresome but it definitely can help.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
As a two time Frances pilgrim and a survivor of Mt Kilimanjaro my advice is to see a podiatrist before leaving home, have your toe nails cut short. The professional will ensure that the toes and nails are still healthy. Then attend to footwear. I wear boots/walking shoes with a wide toe block and wear two socks on each foot. I have also been down the alternate route MS Path advises. Hope this helps. Burn Camino.

I went for a pedicure to trim my toe nails and scrub / exfoliate the bottoms of my feet prior to our third camino. Did not improve, in fact, it was worse. The first and second caminos, I developed one black toe on my right foot. During our third (after the pedicures), I developed black toes on both big toes and the adjacent toes - four total! I lost the nails on all four toes. And I wear sock liners and merino wool. What works for you may not work for me ! ! This time I have toe caps, lots of lambs wool, and foot glide. Hopefully the alternate route will help. If not, I can endure. Bob

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I'm three for three regarding black toes on my right foot and during our last camino, and I earned a black toe on my left foot (so four black toes during three caminos). I'm pretty sure these were developed either during the first day with the descents into Roncesvalles or three days later during the wicked, rocky downhill hike from Alto de Perdon into Uterga.

I have also suffered this indignity.

My work around has several components:
1) wear running shoes with a flexible, open weave upper;
2) wear running shows that are several sizes larger than my street shoes
3) wear XL sized hose (knee length)

For me, I find the more foot length of the socks/hose fills up the space quite nicely.

I should also explain that I have wide feet but not particularly long. So the longer size gives me the extra width I desire.

From what is available locally I have found New Balance model 860 gives the flexible upper and assists in minimising foot pronation (rolling).

On a steep descent (or ascent) with a wide pathway, zig-zagging can help get to the other end, but may not prevent black toes.

Three more steep descents are:
a) coming down into Molinaseca (just before Ponferrada)
b) shortly after Fonfria (before Tricastella) over smooth rocky outcrop in places
c) coming down into Portomarin
There may be others.

@BROWNCOUNTYBOB, kia kaha (take care, be strong).

I went for a pedicure to trim my toe nails and scrub / exfoliate the bottoms of my feet prior to our third camino. Did not improve, in fact, it was worse. The first and second caminos, I developed one black toe on my right foot. During our third (after the pedicures), I developed black toes on both big toes and the adjacent toes - four total! I lost the nails on all four toes. And I wear sock liners and merino wool. What works for you may not work for me ! ! This time I have toe caps, lots of lambs wool, and foot glide. Hopefully the alternate route will help. If not, I can endure. Bob
Bob, it may be that you need to be aware of your walking technique and possibly change it.

I found that I was getting Black toe because I was unconsciously using my toes to "grip" the ground, even though they were not in contact with the ground. I learned to relax my toes as I walk downhill and this fixed my Black toe.

I took the trail my 1st Camino, then road my 2nd. Road wins hands down, little traffic, only remember 1 spot that had no shoulder to walk on. Funny moment, a taxi stopped and asked if I wanted a ride. I stayed on trail after Alto Perdon walked through Acebo and picked up the road at the end of town right after the new Albergue la Casa del Peregrino. BTW this was one of the nicest albergues on my walk. Buen Camino 🚶🏽‍♀️Dee

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
It's interesting how we all perceive things differently.
Perhaps it's down to our footwear, gait, weather and a host of other things.

I was so worried on my first CF about the downhill into Zubiri that I took the road route.
Almost ended up as a 'bumper mascot' 3 times :oops:

Next time went straight down the hill, no problem.

Never had any difficulty down from Alto del Perdon.
Tried that in the dry and the wet.
Just needs a bit of care.
I zig zag down it.

But from El Acebo down to Molinaseca!
Urggg. hardest part of the CF for me.
Totally wrecks my feet and shins :(

Last edited:
I have also suffered this indignity.

My work around has several components:
1) wear running shoes with a flexible, open weave upper;
2) wear running shows that are several sizes larger than my street shoes
3) wear XL sized hose (knee length)

For me, I find the more foot length of the socks/hose fills up the space quite nicely.

I should also explain that I have wide feet but not particularly long. So the longer size gives me the extra width I desire.

From what is available locally I have found New Balance model 860 gives the flexible upper and assists in minimising foot pronation (rolling).

On a steep descent (or ascent) with a wide pathway, zig-zagging can help get to the other end, but may not prevent black toes.

Three more steep descents are:
a) coming down into Molinaseca (just before Ponferrada)
b) shortly after Fonfria (before Tricastella) over smooth rocky outcrop in places
c) coming down into Portomarin
There may be others.

@BROWNCOUNTYBOB, kia kaha (take care, be strong).
My penny's worth is..... I rubbed Vicks Vapo rub onto my feet every night on The Frances just before getting in sleeping bag. 32 nights worth and used a whole jar. No blisters or scaly feet. My toes stayed in one piece as I wore 2 pairs socks. Always used my poles. And on the Camino was wearing an unbroken in pair of Hunting Shoes from Decathalon costing 19euros! My son had locked my original walk shoes in house and gone to Poland for 6 weeks. Bon Camino and Kia Kaha from N Z.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
On steep downhills I slalom from side to side if necessary. I find the walk down from the Alto tricky because of the rolly pebbles, but have always been OK. No so my daughter, who managed to throw out her knee. She was incredibly grateful for my two trekking sticks (at which she had previously looked with scorn) to hobble her way into Uterga.

Most read last week in this forum

Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...
I was reading somewhere that some of us are doing night walks. As a natural born night owl I would love to do such walk too. Of course I can choose stage by myself (CF). But was wondering if any...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back