• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Alternate Routes

GuyA

Time of past OR future Camino
Starting the Camino Frances mid April and interested in your experiences with different route alternatives as described in the Brierley guide. Any advice welcome!

Day 1 to Roncesvalles

Napoleon – Brierley recommended
Valcarlos – Use in poor weather

Day 4 to Puente la Reina

Through Obanos – Brierley recommended (4.1 km)
Through Eunate – 6.9 km however 12th century church to see

Day 5 to Estella

Through Villartuerta direct to Estella – Brierley recommended
Bypass Estella and rejoin route to Los Arcos past Villamayor de Monjardin

Day 12 to Burgos

To left of airport and following N120 – Brierley recommended
To right of airport and following N-1
Following the river – not as well waymarked however past comments indicate this is a preferred route

Day 16 to Carrion de Los Condes

Follow the river through Villovieco – Brierley recommended
Follow a road through Villarmentaro de Campos

Day 18 to Hermanillos de la Calzada

Through Calzada de Coto – Brierley recommended
Bypass Hermanillos de la Calzada and go the El Burgo Ranero all the way to Mansilla de las Mulas

Day 21 to Villar de Mazarife

Through Oncina to Villar de Mazarife – Brierley recommended
Bypass Villar de Mazarife through Villadangos del Paramo

Day 22 to Astorga

Through Hospital de Orbigo vis Villares de Orbigo – Brierley recommended
Continue from Villandangos del Paramo to Hospital de Orbigo

Through Villares de Orbigo at Hospital de Orbigo – Brierley recommended
Follow N-120 from Hospital de Orbigo

Day 26 to O’Cebreiro

To Trabadelo to right of N-IV – Brierley recommended
To Trabadelo following N-IV
To Herrerias via Dragmonte – not well waymarked

Day 28 to Sarria

Bypass Samos – Brierley recommended
Through Samos

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Starting the Camino Frances mid April and interested in your experiences with different route alternatives as described in the Brierley guide. Any advice welcome!

Day 1 to Roncesvalles

Napoleon – Brierley recommended
Valcarlos – Use in poor weather
Day 4 to Puente la Reina

Through Obanos – Brierley recommended (4.1 km)
Through Eunate – 6.9 km however 12th century church to see

Guy,

For praising the Valcarlos alternate read what other pilgrims and I wrote in this earlier Forum thread. I have always walked the Valcarlos route which is the original medieval path through the mountains.

For Santa Maria de Eunate see this Forum thread and my blog entries. This small circular church set within an octagonal clositer has been in existence for one thousand years and is VERY special .

Buen Camino,

Margaret Meredith

Day 4 to Puente la Reina a lovely town with several churches which should not be missed-so you shouldn't come in late and run out the next morning without a short walkabout. The albergue is placed in an unfortunate location out of town over the bridge and up a hill try the private albergue Jakue next to the pilgrim statue as you come into town.
Eunate is an amazing church, open funny hours check before you come since if you arrive too early it will be closed. Templar/Holy Sepulchre? Who knows-not anything similar to the original here at my home in Jerusalem but still very intriguing.
Burgos-take the river route into town, well if you are infatuated with used car dealerships, furniture outlets, cafe/bars, gas stations, and high tech blocks behind fences take the other way in-the cathedral there is a natural but don't even consider leaving before you see Monasterio de Las Huelgas on your left close by the university as you leave. Entrance by guided tour only but it is an amazing building with fine architecture and exquisite Morisco wood work.
Carrion de Los Condes is a nice little town especially on a Sunday when the bars are packed with super aggressive domino players as well as those whos' interest is in inexplicable card games using playing cards from Mars! About 6 km before CdLC is Villalcázar de Sirga a tiny village presenting one of the most architecturally amazing churches you will meet along the Camino - Santa Maria la Blanca-there is also an albergue there should you decide to stay.
Buen Camino!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Hi Guy. Here's my thoughts:
Day 1. We've taken the Napoleon route twice, once in a blizzard (Apr 26, '09) and once in prefect weather (May 7, '11). We stayed at Orisson both times and had great experiences.
Day 4. Eunate is well worth the short detour, even if it isn't open, and you can still go through Obanos on the way to Puente la Reina.
Day 5. Definitely go through Estella. Worth spending the night on a few hours. Good place for food and restocking anything.
Day 12. The river path is very nice and is shaded most of the way.
Day 16. Walking by the river is very pleasant and you rejoin the road at Villarcazar de Sirga.
Day 21. The route through Oncina to Mazarife is very nice.
Day 26. The 'high route' out of Villafranca towards Pradela is spectacular. You go up to the right just as you cross the river leaving Villafranca. Watch for the sign.
Day 28. The route via Samos is very pleasant and Samos is definitely worth a visit or stop.

Now this is just one person's opinion, and as I'm sure you know, whatever path you take will be the 'right' path.
Continue to enjoy. Dayton

Apparently, there is an alternative route to San Millan de la Cogolla monastery, that has historic and monumental importance and it is a World Heritage Site http://www.monasteriodesanmillan.com/
It is either by way of Najera
http://www.clubdemontañak2najera.es/ruta-amarilla.html
or Azofra
http://caminodesantiago.lavozdegalicia.com/en/camino/french/fr-stage-9-en/n
and reconnecting with the usual way in Cirueña.
Coming to think of it, I am not sure if this is an "alternative" or rather qualifiy in the "possible interesting detours" section.
Buen alternative camino!

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Most read last week in this forum

...I am on day eight of walking the Francés at the moment. It is quite busy. A lot of talk about beds (and the need to book ahead). I don't book. Today I tried really hard not to get a bed. I...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
I was reading somewhere that some of us are doing night walks. As a natural born night owl I would love to do such walk too. Of course I can choose stage by myself (CF). But was wondering if any...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back