• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Alternating horseback and walking

Spirit7759

My husband and I are just beginning to formulate how we might do the Camino Frances in the coming couple of years. I appreciate every nugget of wisdom you have all graciously laid at our novice feet!

My dilemma is that I have a congenital heart condition that will (probably) preclude me from climbing to higher altitudes such as the first leg from SJPDP. I was thinking that horseback would be a great compromise in those situations.

Also, would it just be that first leg of the trip that would have the steeper climbs, or are there others along the way?

Thank you for your help....

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Old towns were built on the top of hills or on water in a valley, so many days end or start with a climb. Sometimes there are hills in between. I can think of at least a dozen very aerobic parts of fifteen minutes or more. I had a device last month that measured the climbs in 10 foot increments. The most ascent was on a day where the elevation changed repeatedly, not going over the Pyrenees!

Correction: The day of repeated climbs was about 3,000 feet of "up." The Pyrenees was about 3,900 feet, so the first day out of St. Jean does appear to be the winner!

Spirit7759 said:
...My dilemma is that I have a congenital heart condition that will (probably) preclude me from climbing to higher altitudes such as the first leg from SJPDP. I was thinking that horseback would be a great compromise in those situations.

Also, would it just be that first leg of the trip that would have the steeper climbs, or are there others along the way?

Do you have a problem with altitude or climbing in general? If it's the actual climbing, I would suggest you try another mode of transportation because with the exception of the Meseta, you will have to climb hills every day; they may nor be as high as the climb to Roncesvalles,Cruz de Ferro or O'Cebreiro but there will be more than one in the day.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Spirit7759 said:
My husband and I are just beginning to formulate how we might do the Camino Frances in the coming couple of years. I appreciate every nugget of wisdom you have all graciously laid at our novice feet!

My dilemma is that I have a congenital heart condition that will (probably) preclude me from climbing to higher altitudes such as the first leg from SJPDP. I was thinking that horseback would be a great compromise in those situations.

Welcome to the Forum!

There is a wealth of information for planning your Camino in the many Forum threads as well as in the advice offered by past pilgrims.

For information regarding traveling on horseback see this current thread-- alternative-transportation/topic14013.html#p95256

Beside the the rise to Roncevalles from SJPdP two other sections of the Camino Frances are very steep; going up to the Cruz de Ferro from Rabanal del Camino and, of course, climbing to O Cebreiro.

For various ways and charts to view the changes in elevation along the Camino Frances look at this Forum thread.-- el-camino-frances/topic4065.html.

Happy plotting, planning and Buen Camino,

Margaret

Hi Everyone, Thank you for your prompt replies! We will look over the links you gave us. I did a search, but didn't find easily what I was looking for.

It would be the sustained climbing that could be a problem. (I have an ascending aortic aneurysm; believe it or not they don't always operate on those things!) Short climbs, or climbs that I could break up with frequent rests would be ok. It isn't the altitude itself. Just the exertion. I would take my wrist blood pressure cuff and monitor myself so that I didn't have my BP/HR go up too high for too long.

This is why we have to plan for at least a year from now, and probably 2014. (We are 52 now).

The big thing for me is that I found this period. For the past year I have been wrestling with the idea of not being able to do a lot of the things I love....including roller coasters. But now we know my condition is fairly stable.....so I am once again looking for wonderful things to do...and I feel like God put this on my heart as a goal. Spiritually, I think it would be good for us also. I am reading and reading and reading everything I can get my hands on!

PS: I just got the sweetest email from my husband saying we should plan to do it! :D

I'm curious about the horse thing...what would you do with it otherwise? Would you have it all the time and use it as a pack horse when not riding? Would you try to arrange to have it meet you in specific places? Would you bring it yourself or try to buy/rent one at the beginning of the trip? I'm confused on this.

Personally, I think a horse would be a lot of extra work and problems. Were I in a similar situation, I'd try to plan ahead and taxi around segments that would prove problematic. To me this would be a more realistic/cost effective solution than having to deal with a horse the whole way unless you were actually riding it the whole way.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
vagabondette said:
I'm curious about the horse thing...what would you do with it otherwise?

That is a good question, and you are right, I didn't explain myself well. I didn't know if you could take horses for just segments of the trip. I know people can choose to walk segments, so *hoped* that the people who did horse tours might do the same.

As far as taking a taxi for segments, I have a strong feeling about not *cheating* the journey. In my head, horses aren't as bad as taking a car or bus. But, then again, it isn't exactly wise to end up in a Spanish hospital either!

I am just trying out different ideas to see what might work best for me. And don't worry, I would schedule my annual CT scan right before I left for the trip to get clearance from my doctor. :)

I highly doubt that you'd be able to just pick and choose when and where you wanted to use a horse. At least not without a LOT of time, effort and money. You would either have to rent a horse for the entire way and take care of it yourself or pay for someone else to care for/transport it when you're not using it or you'd have to hope to find an available horse when you need one. Since, until today, you're the first person I've read about on this forum (and I've read a couple thousand threads) even talking about using a horse, I think that unless you're bringing your own or doing a guided tour that is completely on horse back this is not really a feasible solution.

That said, you probably want to read the alternative transportation section as there seems to be a few threads that discuss using a horse. From what I read though it seems like it's a challenge if you plan to through-ride so planning to just pick and choose sounds like it'll be even harder. But, who knows, maybe you can find some resources in there.

Good luck

PS: Not sure why you'd consider it cheating to take a taxi but I guess that's personal choice. The first time I did a long hike similar to this I was determined to walk it all. Then the 2nd day was a huge 5-hour almost vertical climb that could have been done in 15 minutes on a tram. Half way up I decided I was an idiot and would enjoy myself much more if I didn't push my body so hard that I would injure myself or make myself miserable. This resulted in the occasional tram/bus being used without guilt and still with a feeling of accomplishment for doing what most people wouldn't even consider. :)

I have a bad case of asthma that has come close to ending my life a couple of times. It can be brought on by the kind of climbing you describe, as well as a lot of other triggers.

Still, I am a repeat-offender camino person. I have done some of the highest-altitude, steepest mountain climbs in the camino network, and enjoyed them hugely. I am still around to tell the tales!

I faithfully take the medicine the doctor prescribes. I have learned to listen very closely to my body, to recognize the smallest symptom of pulmonary stress. When my fingers or lips feel numb or I "feel the flutter" in my lungs I stop walking and sit down and breathe deeply until my heart rate decreases. I go slow and easy on the uphills, and that is OK. (True, someday I might keel over out there, but I can´t think of anyplace I would rather depart from!)

Camino-walking builds up your cardio-pulmonary system slowly and strongly. You might want to start in Pamplona or Roncesvalles rather than hitting your system flat out from the start at St. Jean, but by the time you hit the mountains outside Astorga your heart will be much more fit for the challenge.

By all means talk to your doc about your ability to do this hike. But trust your good sense, too. If it becomes too much for you, call a cab. "Cheating" is all in your head, or maybe in the heads of judgmental fools around you. Walk your own camino.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Thank you both Rebekah and vagabondette (by the way, we spelled my daughter's name Rebekah also!). Maybe it will be ok to take a bus or shuttle now and then. I also like the idea of starting at Roncesvalles..........Could take the shuttle from SJPDP.

Lots to think about...........thanks!!!

Most read last week in this forum

I am 82 years old. I have walked all but 250k of the Camino Frances alone, carrying my pack and staying in communal aubergues in 2017 and 18 and loving it! I am now on a mission to walk the final...
Hi I have a question regarding regulations in French airports on what is allowed to bring as carry on luggage. I have a small lightweight Victorinox SD multitool including a small knife that is...
I have been looking every day for weeks and weeks to purchase tickets from Santiago to Segovia at the end of my Camino on May 13th and was getting concerned as on both the Renfe and Trainline...
Hi, we had booked a camino for last September and had to reschedule for this early June. I previously had booked a train from Santiago to Porto to start travel back for our flight home from...
Hi All, My girlfriend and I are planning to do the Camino Primitivo. I'll be honest here; I'm not entirely sure how far we'll get, but Caminoways says that the entire route can be done in 15...
Hello, we are a family of 5 travelling from Australia on a 7 week trip of Europe. We are walking the first few stages of CF from SJPdP to Pamplona only. I've been searching the threads for info...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back