• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Alternative accomodation guide, Private albergues, Pensiones, Hostals, Hotels.

Richo

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances, 2014; Via Podiensis 2017.
Hi there,
This September 12th I'll be walking out of Roncesvalles for (hopefully) Santiago. Because I can afford it and prefer a private room and bath, and because I am an inveterate snorer I will be staying mainly in private accommodations as in the title. There appear to be many guides to the albergues, but not much to other styles of lodging.
Can anybody point me in the right direction for a list of suitable possibilities?
Also if I'm staying in this sort of situation, do I really need to bring a sleeping bag, or can I get by with a silk liner?

Cheers,
Richard.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Miam Miam Dodo (in French) Saint Jacques de Compostelle (2014) Guide gives a good overview of accommodation along the Camino.

An additional source of information is to go to websites such as TripAdvisor and typing in the name of a town/city etc. and seeing how others have rated the accommodation in those places.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi there,
This September 12th I'll be walking out of Roncesvalles for (hopefully) Santiago. Because I can afford it and prefer a private room and bath, and because I am an inveterate snorer I will be staying mainly in private accommodations as in the title. There appear to be many guides to the albergues, but not much to other styles of lodging. Richard.
Hello Richard.
Many private and other style pilgrims hostels have also private rooms.
For private accomodations have a look here.
Buen Camino
Jochen

.... Because I can afford it and prefer a private room and bath, and because I am an inveterate snorer I will be staying mainly in private accommodations as in the title......
Also if I'm staying in this sort of situation, do I really need to bring a sleeping bag, or can I get by with a silk liner? ...

Richo,

Private albergues will have blankets so all you need to stay in them is a liner and your Credential. Other regular tourist accommodation will, of course, have linens and blankets.

Buen Camino,

Margaret Meredith

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
The Brierley guidebook has limited listings for hotels, hostals, and pensions. The Dintaman/Landis guidebook, http://www.amazon.com/dp/0984353348/?tag=casaivar02-20 has a more comprehensive listing, and it is what we used when staying in hostals or pensions in the larger towns like Burgos, Leon, etc. I would advise against booking too far in advance because that ties you to a schedule that you'll eventually want to digress from either for necessity or just living for the moment. We found it completely satisfactory to call ahead the day before to make a reservation (although that usually requires at least a minimum ability to speak a few basic Spanish phrases). Otherwise, we just stayed in albergues along the way, making reservations only after Sarria, and again, by just calling ahead the day before. It helped that we tried to finish walking by early afternoon, and stayed mainly off the guidebook stages, thus avoiding the crowds.

Suitable possibilities: some recs:
Sahagun- Hostal Alfonso VI
Reliegos-- Albergue La Parada (otherwise do not bother staying at this town).
Leon-- splurge and stay at the Parador San Marcos.
Astorga: El Descanso de Wendy
Rabanal del Camino- Hostal El Regugio
Molinaseca: Hostal El Palacio
Ponferrada- Hostal La Encina
Villafranca del Bierzo- Hostel Puerta del Perdon
Palas de Rei: Complejo La Cabana

Hi there,
This September 12th I'll be walking out of Roncesvalles for (hopefully) Santiago. Because I can afford it and prefer a private room and bath, and because I am an inveterate snorer I will be staying mainly in private accommodations as in the title. There appear to be many guides to the albergues, but not much to other styles of lodging.
Can anybody point me in the right direction for a list of suitable possibilities?
Also if I'm staying in this sort of situation, do I really need to bring a sleeping bag, or can I get by with a silk liner?

Cheers,
Richard.[/QUOTe

I have almost exactly the same preferences and concerns as you in regard to lodging. I won't be doing the Camino until next June. Was planning on doing the Portuguese route, but concerned about the amount of walking on roads and competing with vehicles. Will be interested in hearing back from you as to your experience in September.
Scott (Tropic Moon)

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Miam Miam Dodo (in French) Saint Jacques de Compostelle (2014) Guide gives a good overview of accommodation along the Camino.

An additional source of information is to go to websites such as TripAdvisor and typing in the name of a town/city etc. and seeing how others have rated the accommodation in those places.
Tks Bystander - good idea.

Suitable possibilities: some recs:
Sahagun- Hostal Alfonso VI
Reliegos-- Albergue La Parada (otherwise do not bother staying at this town).
Leon-- splurge and stay at the Parador San Marcos.
Astorga: El Descanso de Wendy
Rabanal del Camino- Hostal El Regugio
Molinaseca: Hostal El Palacio
Ponferrada- Hostal La Encina
Villafranca del Bierzo- Hostel Puerta del Perdon
Palas de Rei: Complejo La Cabana
Thanks Olivares, I'm looking for recommendations so these look good.

Richo,

Private albergues will have blankets so all you need to stay in them is a liner and your Credential. Other regular tourist accommodation will, of course, have linens and blankets.

Buen Camino,

Margaret Meredith
Thank you Margaret, Should be OK without a sleeping bag then, as long as I can find accommodation in a private albergue in mid Sep to end october :)

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
I was reading somewhere that some of us are doing night walks. As a natural born night owl I would love to do such walk too. Of course I can choose stage by myself (CF). But was wondering if any...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back