• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Alternative Approach to Rainwear for Late June

koilife

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
CF '13; CF/Salvador/Ingles '16; Portugues '22
I'm setting up my rain kit, and I'd like to know just how significant the rain and wind are in Galicia in late June along the CF.

At first glance, this will seem like a question that has been "asked and answered" many times over. It might also be one of those questions that restarts the poncho v. rain jacket religious war. I don't mean this question to be either of those.

To get to the core of my question, I first need to describe my typical backpacking summer weather rig for the Rockies, and my rationale for it. I hike with an umbrella designed specifically for backpacking (GoLite Chrome Dome, 8 oz.) to provide both sun and rain protection, even in moderately gusty winds. I also use a Patagonia Houdini windshell (4 oz.) that is highly breathable and includes a good durable water repellent (DWR) finish. In combination, this puts me at roughly the same weight as my GoreTex rain jacket, with as good or better protection from the rain, plus sun protection, plus I remain comfortable in warm and/or humid conditions (where a GTX jacket becomes a sweat jacket). In warm weather, I really don't care if I get somewhat wet because the windshell protexts me against wind-caused heat loss, and my wool tee-shirt and optional wool arm warmers further protect against heat loss, even when wet. Since adopting this system, I've never had a significant need for an actual rain jacket.

Most of this is by way of explanation that the system does really work well for three-season backpacking, in my experience, better than any rain jacket or poncho I've ever used, with several exceptions. First, the system is susceptible to really strong or gusty winds (my chief concern here). Second, the system is susceptible when two hands are needed for setting up camp under a heavy rain---normally the umbrella is attached to my pack, but this is not a concern since I'm not camping on the Camino. Third, the umbrella is problematic going through heavy brush---likely not an issue here.

I'm looking for feedback on this approach from those who have actually used a similar system (whether successfully or not), as well as its suitability to Galicia, where I suspect it would be most vulnerable to serious wind with heavy rain.

PAX,
Matt

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
While I haven't used your system I have thought about it. The main deterent for me is that when it rains sideways an umbrella is only good for keeping your head dry. If it is raining sideways that means it is pretty windy and your umbrella would be blown sideways as well if it is sitting attached to your pack.

I have decided on a light wind breaker that will be fine for light, intermittant rain and supplementing that with a rain poncho.

I also live near the Rockies in Canada and the rain here is nothing compared to the rain I grew up with on the Wet Coast.

The fun part of all this planning is we won't know until we are there whether we have packed appropriately!

koilife said:
I'm setting up my rain kit, and I'd like to know just how significant the rain and wind are in Galicia in late June along the CF....I'm looking for feedback on this approach from those who have actually used a similar system (whether successfully or not), as well as its suitability to Galicia, where I suspect it would be most vulnerable to serious wind with heavy rain.
I wear a goretex jacket and a LARGE, STURDY umbrella. Used them during various CF and times of the year. The problem is mainly in choosing proper boots. One crosses small rivers, lots of mud, during many hours of walking. Over the past, pilgrims thought that I looked hilarious (which in fact I do), so much so that they took pictures and published them on camino-related websites.
I am still sticking to the "system" 8)

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
In late June I would place confidence in my umbrella. I carried mine in confidence in April/May 2012 and it saw far more service than my Altus poncho. Though it must be said that when the weather came in sideways the Altus made the match. Crossing the meseta in April in a constant hard cold wind the umbrella was a godsend. Held sideways it provided a wind-break when even the bushes were weeping. Built up the arm muscles to match the legs but was very much my best friend.

In Galicia the natives are born clutching umbrellas, much as the first words they make are for calling the cows home. When the winds get to far past friendly put your 'brolly down and greet the weather as an old friend.

Terrri said:
If it is raining sideways that means it is pretty windy and your umbrella would be blown sideways as well if it is sitting attached to your pack. . . . I also live near the Rockies in Canada . . .
I'm in the Colorado Rockies. Not quite as majestic as the sections of Canadian Rockies that I've seen, but it's a magnificent backyard none the less. Some areas where we are get a fair amount of continuous rain, but mostly it's sunny mornings, one or two heavy afternoon showers, clear skies at night. If worse comes to worst, I just put up my tarp and hammock and wait it out or camp it out (high and dry, as the saying goes).

As to heavy wind, I have to angle the umbrella into a heavy wind to keep it from becoming a sail, so I have to detach from the pack anyways as the rain approaches "sideways".

How "sideways" is common for the rain there in Galicia in the summer? I would assume there are locations where its common, but everywhere else it tends to be occasional.

Do you have pictures of how you attach the umbrella to your back pack to leave hand free for poles, etc.

I am interested for the VdlP this August for sun/ heat protection.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
grayland said:
Do you have pictures of how you attach the umbrella to your back pack to leave hand free for poles, etc.
I'll need to get some snapshots together about attachment (possibly this evening after work), but the basic idea is pretty straightforward. I use either velcro or rope ties to attach the handle to my shoulder straps in two places. The lower is at the handle itself and that holds the weight, and the upper controls the pole for stability. I use either shoulder strap, depending on the primary direction of the sun/rain relative to my travel direction. I also adjust upwards or downwards along the curve of my shoulder strap to change the pole angle forwards or backwards. Sometimes I'll use a rolled sock/bandanna between the upper tie and shoulder strap to artificially push it forward when I'm travelling into the sun/rain. This works more or less on all my packs, with some working better for Velcro and others for rope ties.

With my larger packs, I can also use central attachment points on the back of the pack, but with my smaller Camino bag, that isn't as feasible. The trick with a back-of-the-pack attachment is that you need a partner to do it after you have it on and to remove it before you take it off. Otherwise, it can be pretty awkward and you'll run risk of damaging the umbrella.

Once you grasp the "two-point" principle, the biggest variable is the umbrella you use and the shape of shoulder straps of the pack. My GoLite umbrellas have about 21" clearance between the handle and where my head starts to butt up against the stays. That limits the vertical adjustment range, so I'll often resort to using the sock/bandanna spacer to manipulate the angles, especially with the smaller pack that I'm taking on the Camino.

fraluchi said:
Over the past, pilgrims thought that I looked hilarious (which in fact I do), so much so that they took pictures and published them on camino-related websites. I am still sticking to the "system" 8)
Comfort trumps vanity in my book!

Tincatinker said:
In late June I would place confidence in my umbrella. I carried mine in confidence in April/May 2012 and it saw far more service than my Altus poncho. Though it must be said that when the weather came in sideways the Altus made the match. Crossing the meseta in April in a constant hard cold wind the umbrella was a godsend.
Excellent. I'll likely leave the formal rain gear at home and just use the "brolly" and my windshirt. I've never used an Altus poncho (though I've used plenty of others). Given the rave reviews by folks here, I plan to check them out en route (I haven't found them in the U.S.).
Tincatinker said:
When the winds get to far past friendly put your 'brolly down and greet the weather as an old friend.
Perhaps a quote from St. Teresa of Avila can be reapplied to the weather, "If this is how you treat your friends, no wonder you have so many enemies."

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
The rain in Galacia comes in squalls ... You can see the black clouds coming with as much as a half hour notice to find cover ... like a handy bus stop. The wind was not an issue.

The wind is an issue on the meseta. You'll want something like a rain coat to cut the wind.

Wind and rain together only happened on the bit between St Jean and Roncesvalles. Nothing will keep you dry when the rain blows sideways. The struggle here is keeping warm enough even though wet.

I went with a rain jacket and a poncho. The poncho was good for the gentle rains and also covered the pack. The poncho breathes much better than a rain jacket. There were conditions of rain where the rain jacket and the poncho together were necessary.

I went late October to mid December. The rains really started just as I got to Fisterra with rain filling the streets with torrents of water in about five minutes. I was glad to be done.

There is a secret to staying dry; Dont Get Wet.

Never really gave much thought to using an umbrella to stop the wind. Sounds like it could be handy though - as well as to provide shade when the sun finally comes out.

The used to make umbrellas for kid's strollers and the shaft bent so you could easily change the angle. Might be a little heavier but would require less playing around if your plan is to attach it to your pack.

We had snow on sunday again so it is hard to imagine no rain or wind when we go next month.

When we moved here we came from Ocean Grove down the road from Campbell River. One day, shortly after we moved here, it rained for almost 3 hours straight and even the fish in the rivers couldn't handle it. Part of being able to deal with the weather depends on what you are already accustomed to.

I don't think any of the clothes I am bringing has any wool in them other than some socks. Not sure if the tech stuff without merino wool is as warm when wet as the stuff with merino wool.

Terrri said:
The used to make umbrellas for kid's strollers and the shaft bent so you could easily change the angle. Might be a little heavier but would require less playing around if your plan is to attach it to your pack.
I actually tried that once, but it didn't perform well in the wind and it was very heavy (somewhere around 24 oz as I recall). It could just have been a bad model that I used, but the weight issue is big (for me).
Terrri said:
Part of being able to deal with the weather depends on what you are already accustomed to.
Yeah. I wilt in the sun. I suspect that will be my greatest struggle this June.
Terrri said:
I don't think any of the clothes I am bringing has any wool in them other than some socks. Not sure if the tech stuff without merino wool is as warm when wet as the stuff with merino wool.
Tech stuff is colder when wet. Also, they tend to dry so quickly that you can get flash cooling, which can be a real problem under the wrong conditions. Good wool is warm when its cool, reasonably cool when its warm, able to dry quickly without flashing, and resist stink (tech stuff attracts and holds stink like the plague). The problem of wool is the price to get good quality. I've been slowly building up a wool wardrobe, with a focus on quality and durability, and I doubt I'll ever go back. Tee shirts, boxer briefs (never had another problem with chafing once I switched), arm and leg warmers, thin glove liners, scarf, and socks. I also found a wool polo shirt that I really like. But, my favorite is a possum fur/merino wool stocking cap; only 22 grams and wonderfully warm.

There is a whole new generation of wool/tech fabrics that give you the best of both worlds, but they can be even more expensive than mostly merinos.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
In late June you would be unlucky in Galicia to get cold and wind alongside the rain. Might be different on the meseta a few weeks earlier.

weather is the reason for walking. a cheap light poncho will make even moderate rain seem dramatic and interesting. considering that you will be carrying two sets of clothes anyway and that the clothes you are trying to keep dry now during rain are going to be washed at the end of the walking day i don't think i would be too concerned about rainy weather.

I'll start walking in June, and I'm not planning on bringing a poncho. I've got a rain cover for my backpack and that's it. Am I crazy or is this do-able?

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
ramonvanderburgt said:
I'll start walking in June, and I'm not planning on bringing a poncho. I've got a rain cover for my backpack and that's it. Am I crazy or is this do-able?
i started at the beginning of june, years ago. there was only one half day of rain during walking hours for those 30 days. the cheap poncho was something i swiped from my sister, it could roll up and fit in my pocket. if you wear nylon the breeze will dry you out in almost no time anyway.
its doable, what you suggest, but you need a fleece for the colder mornings while its still dark, and if it rains then, then a poncho might be handy. it takes a fleece a bit longer to dry than a nylon shirt.

Having now completed my first Camino using the umbrella + water resistant windshirt and omitting formal rainwear, I thought I'd share my firsthand experience.

We encountered completely unnatural weather --- almost constant rain and cold --- from SJPdP to the first two days into the masseta. All of the locals said they'd never seen the like of it at that time of year. My attire beneath the umbrella/windshirt was only a wool/poly tee shirt, a nylon backpacking shirt, and nylon backpacking pants. Even with highs around 40 degrees Fahrenheit, I was only slightly uncomfortable while walking (although, at those temps I had to be careful not to get chilled when taking rest breaks). The windshirt was breathable for preventing excess moisture buildup on the body and dried quickly. When it was wet through from rain, it still stopped the worst of the chilling effect of the wind.

Additionally, when the sun did come out, the umbrella continued to be a godsend. I used the exact same clothing set (except for the windshirt) on 90+ degree Fahrenheit days. Thus, with only the four ounces of windshirt difference, I handled over a 50 degree delta, and I saved a net of 31 ounces of weight by eliminating fleece and rainwear.

The only concern with the umbrella was that there were more shrub/thorn-lined paths than I expected, and I had to be careful in areas not to snag. My GoLite is very strong, but it's not kevlar.

My great regret was not bringing a set of wool glove liners (my hands were the only part that suffered from cold to any great degree), but that would have been a problem either way.

My next Camino (assuming late spring / early summer), I will repeat the umbrella + windshirt, but might bring an 8 ounce torso shell as an insulation layer for reasons of greater comfort in the event of a repeat of the extended cold.

nokia nokia said:
. . . considering that you will be carrying two sets of clothes anyway and that the clothes you are trying to keep dry now during rain are going to be washed at the end of the walking day i don't think i would be too concerned about rainy weather.
That's what I thought until I got caught at three alburgues in a row where there was only handwashing and line drying. When the weather is cold and humid/rainy, clothes simply don't dry. The key is to have clothing that works when wet and cold (e.g. critical base layers of wool, avoidance of cotton). Yes, it was very unpleasant slipping into cold, wet clothes that hadn't dried the night before, but a little exertion warms them and then you get on with the day's longer suffering of slogging through endless miles of soul/sole-sucking mud.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
koilife said:
. . . I've been slowly building up a wool wardrobe, with a focus on quality and durability, and I doubt I'll ever go back. Tee shirts, boxer briefs (never had another problem with chafing once I switched) . . .
Well, on the long, very hot stage from O Cebriero to Samos, I did have chafing problems. My cure-all use of Neosporin wasn't enough, so a day later I made the trip to the farmacia, and the pharmacist there gave me a 6 oz(!) tube of the same kind of heavy, white ointment we used for diaper rash on the boys. Took care of it in a day and I never had another problem. A very small 15 gr tub of ointment will make next Camino's medical kit.

Having now completed my first Camino using the umbrella + water resistant windshirt and omitting formal rainwear, I thought I'd share my firsthand experience.

We encountered completely unnatural weather --- almost constant rain and cold --- from SJPdP to the first two days into the masseta. All of the locals said they'd never seen the like of it at that time of year. My attire beneath the umbrella/windshirt was only a wool/poly tee shirt, a nylon backpacking shirt, and nylon backpacking pants. Even with highs around 40 degrees Fahrenheit, I was only slightly uncomfortable while walking (although, at those temps I had to be careful not to get chilled when taking rest breaks). The windshirt was breathable for preventing excess moisture buildup on the body and dried quickly. When it was wet through from rain, it still stopped the worst of the chilling effect of the wind.

Additionally, when the sun did come out, the umbrella continued to be a godsend. I used the exact same clothing set (except for the windshirt) on 90+ degree Fahrenheit days. Thus, with only the four ounces of windshirt difference, I handled over a 50 degree delta, and I saved a net of 31 ounces of weight by eliminating fleece and rainwear.

The only concern with the umbrella was that there were more shrub/thorn-lined paths than I expected, and I had to be careful in areas not to snag. My GoLite is very strong, but it's not kevlar.

My great regret was not bringing a set of wool glove liners (my hands were the only part that suffered from cold to any great degree), but that would have been a problem either way.

My next Camino (assuming late spring / early summer), I will repeat the umbrella + windshirt, but might bring an 8 ounce torso shell as an insulation layer for reasons of greater comfort in the event of a repeat of the extended cold.
Thanks for this information. I've been going back and forth regarding various rain gear options and had just watched a video review of the GoLite Chrome Dome when I came across your post. I think this is the direction I will go. Although, I'm curious, would you consider the Half Dome instead?

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I considered using the waterproof I was born with that weighs nothing. Unfortunately it is not wind or UVA proof! Drat! Back to carrying things after all.
Al I was just about to sit down to a meal and the picture that sprung into mind has almost, but, not quite, put me off, my dinner. Show how good an apatite I have.

Thanks for this information. I've been going back and forth regarding various rain gear options and had just watched a video review of the GoLite Chrome Dome when I came across your post. I think this is the direction I will go. Although, I'm curious, would you considering the Half Dome instead?
I've not used the Half Dome, so my thoughts are based on a general sense of things, and not firsthand use of the Half Dome.

I distrust aluminum stays and the more complex hinges required to collapse to very small. The thing I like so much about the Chrome Dome is that there is so little to break. If I get a sudden gust from a wrong direction that literally flips the umbrella inside out, it pulls right back into shape. The straight carbon fibre stays are really well thought out, with just the right blend of flex and stiff.

IF the Half Dome indeed has similar durability, then the combination of collapsed size is a clear winner (and dropping 2 ounces is a big plus).

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
Well…… about $400 usd in socks and liners later and about 160 miles. I live in California near the Sierra mountains so we have some good trails and heat- I wanted to find my perfect combination...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.