Alternative Bike Roads Posted | Camino de Santiago Forum
Camino Forum App now available
Camino Forum Android APP Camino Forum iOS APP
Search 30 000 Camino Questions right here... your question might have been asked before
Camino Guides (for sale) | Camino Guides made by pilgrims
By Signing up to the forum (free) you will be able to:

-- Ask any Camino related question you might have
-- Participate in the camino conversation on this forum
-- Get an weekly e-mail (Saturdays) with the most popular topics from the last 7 days
-- Be able to download pdf's and other Camino Resources
Sign

Weekly forum email Daily forum email Luggage Storage in Santiago de Compostela
Dismiss Notice
Have a question you would like to ask? Here is how you do it!

Alternative Bike Roads Posted

Discussion in 'Camino Frances' started by Cecee, Mar 21, 2017.

1. Cecee

Cecee New Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    April "2017"
    I will be biking the Camino leaving in ten days. For the past two years and up until 3 days ago, it was my intention to walk the Camino. Due to unforeseen physical issues, the walk is now not possible.
    Considering all of my equipment is for walking (haven't sat on a bike in 10 years and not incredibly healthy), I'm still going to just get on the plane with what I have, rent a bike and take a leap of faith.
    My concerns are that I will not be able to climb big hills with my bike (not due to lack of confidence - I just know my bodies limitations.) I will be staring in Pamplona.
    Also, considering my lack of skill on a bike, I am worried about injuring another pilgrim with my "klutzy" ways.
    Finally to the question:
    Are all the bike routes or alternative routes marked or will I have to learn how to read a road map and in Spanish no doubt?- YIKES
    For those who feel the need to warn me about the possible failures, please don't.
    I have no disillusions that it will be one of the most physically trying things I've ever done...but failing to try is not an option.

2. biarritzdon

biarritzdon Veteran Member Donating Member Donating Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    CF 2011, CF 2012, CP 2013, CF 2014, CA 2015, S. Anton 2015, CF 2015, CI 2015
    Ditch Pig 2016, CF (2017)
    Some have been marked by bikers, I know that for a fact from Castrojeriz to Itero de Vega so you can avoid the big hill there. The Michelin guide is the best map for doing a biking Camino, it shows routes adjacent to the path. I have NOT done it on a bike, so I am not the expert.

3. Micah26

Micah26 Active Member Donating Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    Planning my first next spring
    Cecee,
    I admire your tenacity. My friend had cancer loved to be active and bike. She got a bike her last year that had a battery which helped her get over the hills or coast if she was too exhausted. Could this also be an option for you? I wish you well and buen Camino!

4. Cecee

Cecee New Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    April "2017"
    Thank you. Have you seen Michelin guides there? It's to late for me to order one now.

5. Cecee

Cecee New Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    April "2017"
    Thank you for your comment. I'm already feeling guilty for biking the route (not what I had in mind) but to add a battery and not use my own power Iwould really bother me. It would be a great idea for some though.

6. biarritzdon

biarritzdon Veteran Member Donating Member Donating Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    CF 2011, CF 2012, CP 2013, CF 2014, CA 2015, S. Anton 2015, CF 2015, CI 2015
    Ditch Pig 2016, CF (2017)
    No, I have not. It is the trail guide and my version is in English. I guess you could start a new thread and ask the Forum or possibility contact Ivar.

7. Jenny267

Jenny267 Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    France's (2017)
    Cecee where are you travelling from? I've just received my Michelin guide in the mail and it's a gem. If you are in Australia I could send it to you by express post and you'd have it in time I think.
    I'm not going until September so have time to get another.

8. Jenny267

Jenny267 Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    France's (2017)
  9. Cecee

Cecee New Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    April "2017"
    That is very kind of you to offer. I will be traveling from Canada so I don't think I would receive it in time. Postal Services here are notoriously slow.
    I think I will step out of my comfort zone and ask for help on the Camino, if the need arises.
    If your response is any indication of what kindness will be offered by strangers, I should have not problem.

Jenny267 likes this.