• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Alternative coastal route into Porto in three stages (Aug 2020)

Ungawawa

Time of past OR future Camino
2017-20: Francés, Norte, Francés, Portuguese Lisbon Coastal, Portuguese central
This August I completed sections of the Camino Portugues from Albergaria a Velha to Santiago. I wanted to share the route variation I took on the advice of an hospitalero, as it lets you take an alternative coastal route into Porto over three days, instead of the traditional road-based route through SĂŁo JoĂŁo da Madeira.

I’ve not been on the official interior camino from Albergaria to Porto myself, but I did hear reports from other pilgrims on the path that it was not only ugly and unpleasant walking but also dangerous in stretches, so this route certainly offers a more pleasant and safe alternative. It’s a few kilometers more in total but is easily broken down into three short or two long days, and much of the hiking is quite beautiful. I’ve included some photos to illustrate the route, and my GPS tracks are below too in the hope they may be useful to some. You’ll see a couple of really remarkable places taking this route instead.

The path begins in Pinhiero da Bemposta. At this town you diverge from the main camino route. It’s about 11km after the common stage endpoint of Albergharia. I took the opportunity to stay at the excellent water-mill albergue here. It’s a little off the track but there are plenty of signs. One km off-track into the woods brings you to a beautiful tranquil water mill albergue Moino Garcia, run by a jolly German guy. He’s used to looking after pilgrims. If the weather is nice enough you’ll enjoy a wonderful outdoor meal in the garden at a tiled giant table and sleep in an old mill room with hoppers and grindstones and water running below the floorboards. If you’re brave you can take a dip in the waterfall there too. I was able to get a single bunk in a room with two others for 15 euro. Shared rooms were being run at half capacity because of covid.
https://www.alberguemoinhogarcia.com/

Leaving Pinhiero for Furadouro
A pleasant 20km day crossing to the coastal resort of Furadouro, where you’re able to stay in the excellent Furadouro Terrace Hostel. The first third of the journey is mostly through forest, the second third on roads - sometimes through some rather run-down but interesting towns, the final third is a long straight dual pedestrian / bike track straight to the coast.

The first couple of kilometers is a little rocky, so your hiking poles will come in useful. On the way you’ll pass by the beautiful colourful church of Valega, with its multicoloured tiled facade and stunning internal paintings. You’ll also pass through the small town of Ovar, with a pleasant town square, church and shops.

In Furadouro you’ll get your first glimpse of the ocean since Lisbon. The hostel in Furadouro I found excellent, the owner friendly and used to seeing pilgrims. I had a room to myself and a decent breakfast was included in the price. Furadouro itself seemed a little rough at the edges but I still found an excellent restaurant and accommodation there.

Furadouro to Espinho
An easy flat 19km day. The first half takes you through pine forests to Esmoriz, either on sandy trails which run in a grid through the whole forest, or following a dual road, bike / pedestrian path which winds more but is easier going. You can pick and mix between these two.

In Esmoriz there’s plenty of nice beachside restaurants to get lunch, and from there you’ll follow the coastline and boardwalk the whole way to Espinho. Espinho is a busy up-market surfers resort with lots of facilities and some nice shops. I stayed at Surf House Espinho hostel in a private room. I think normally individual bunks are available but because of covid they were renting only whole rooms, so this would be cheaper if you arranged in advance to share with someone.

Espinho to Porto
This was is a longer 23km day and no maps are really necessary as you simply follow the boardwalk and coastal paths all the way to the edge of the port of Porto and from there turn inland following the river Douro until you reach the famous Eiffel bridge where you can cross over into the main town or take the funicular up to the cathedral.

I tried at Vila Nova de Gaia to cut across diagonally to save some kilometers but regretted it as the area immediately became very hilly. I returned to the coast and just followed that, and recommend doing the same, as the easiest and most picturesque way into the city.

On route you will pass by the amazing Capela do Senhor da Pedra - Portugal’s own church by the ocean (take that Muxia!) - as well as pass through some beautiful beach and water areas.

Here are my GPS tracks, if anyone is interested. I've corrected and quantised them to be a bit neater, and removed the bits where I took wrong turns!

Stage 1: https://www.wikiloc.com/wikiloc/spatialArtifacts.do?event=setCurrentSpatialArtifact&id=58942405
Stage 2: https://www.wikiloc.com/wikiloc/spatialArtifacts.do?event=setCurrentSpatialArtifact&id=58942495
Stage 3: Just follow the coast all the way!

Attachments

• IMG_4660.JPG
    IMG_4660.JPG
    523.1 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_4644.JPG
    IMG_4644.JPG
    266 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_4688.JPG
    IMG_4688.JPG
    573.8 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_4705.JPG
    IMG_4705.JPG
    459.1 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_4709.JPG
    IMG_4709.JPG
    409.7 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_4711.JPG
    IMG_4711.JPG
    444.3 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_4716.JPG
    IMG_4716.JPG
    457.9 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_4717.JPG
    IMG_4717.JPG
    345.3 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_4718.JPG
    IMG_4718.JPG
    438.9 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_4721.JPG
    IMG_4721.JPG
    337.5 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
A few more pics from day 2 and 3...

Attachments

• IMG_4722.JPG
    IMG_4722.JPG
    306.5 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_4757.JPG
    IMG_4757.JPG
    378.7 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_4755.JPG
    IMG_4755.JPG
    346 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_4759.JPG
    IMG_4759.JPG
    597.1 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_4762.JPG
    IMG_4762.JPG
    632.3 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_4777.JPG
    IMG_4777.JPG
    319.2 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_4780.JPG
    IMG_4780.JPG
    292.7 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_4788.JPG
    IMG_4788.JPG
    453.9 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_4808.JPG
    IMG_4808.JPG
    260.3 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_4822.JPG
    IMG_4822.JPG
    357.8 KB · Views: 41
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Thank you! We are hoping to do some of The Portuguese Way one of these days (hopefully next Fall??). Helpful info.

This August I completed sections of the Camino Portugues from Albergaria a Velha to Santiago. I wanted to share the route variation I took on the advice of an hospitalero, as it lets you take an alternative coastal route into Porto over three days, instead of the traditional road-based route through SĂŁo JoĂŁo da Madeira.

I’ve not been on the official interior camino from Albergaria to Porto myself, but I did hear reports from other pilgrims on the path that it was not only ugly and unpleasant walking but also dangerous in stretches, so this route certainly offers a more pleasant and safe alternative. It’s a few kilometers more in total but is easily broken down into three short or two long days, and much of the hiking is quite beautiful. I’ve included some photos to illustrate the route, and my GPS tracks are below too in the hope they may be useful to some. You’ll see a couple of really remarkable places taking this route instead.

The path begins in Pinhiero da Bemposta. At this town you diverge from the main camino route. It’s about 11km after the common stage endpoint of Albergharia. I took the opportunity to stay at the excellent water-mill albergue here. It’s a little off the track but there are plenty of signs. One km off-track into the woods brings you to a beautiful tranquil water mill albergue Moino Garcia, run by a jolly German guy. He’s used to looking after pilgrims. If the weather is nice enough you’ll enjoy a wonderful outdoor meal in the garden at a tiled giant table and sleep in an old mill room with hoppers and grindstones and water running below the floorboards. If you’re brave you can take a dip in the waterfall there too. I was able to get a single bunk in a room with two others for 15 euro. Shared rooms were being run at half capacity because of covid.
https://www.alberguemoinhogarcia.com/

Leaving Pinhiero for Furadouro
A pleasant 20km day crossing to the coastal resort of Furadouro, where you’re able to stay in the excellent Furadouro Terrace Hostel. The first third of the journey is mostly through forest, the second third on roads - sometimes through some rather run-down but interesting towns, the final third is a long straight dual pedestrian / bike track straight to the coast.

The first couple of kilometers is a little rocky, so your hiking poles will come in useful. On the way you’ll pass by the beautiful colourful church of Valega, with its multicoloured tiled facade and stunning internal paintings. You’ll also pass through the small town of Ovar, with a pleasant town square, church and shops.

In Furadouro you’ll get your first glimpse of the ocean since Lisbon. The hostel in Furadouro I found excellent, the owner friendly and used to seeing pilgrims. I had a room to myself and a decent breakfast was included in the price. Furadouro itself seemed a little rough at the edges but I still found an excellent restaurant and accommodation there.

Furadouro to Espinho
An easy flat 19km day. The first half takes you through pine forests to Esmoriz, either on sandy trails which run in a grid through the whole forest, or following a dual road, bike / pedestrian path which winds more but is easier going. You can pick and mix between these two.

In Esmoriz there’s plenty of nice beachside restaurants to get lunch, and from there you’ll follow the coastline and boardwalk the whole way to Espinho. Espinho is a busy up-market surfers resort with lots of facilities and some nice shops. I stayed at Surf House Espinho hostel in a private room. I think normally individual bunks are available but because of covid they were renting only whole rooms, so this would be cheaper if you arranged in advance to share with someone.

Espinho to Porto
This was is a longer 23km day and no maps are really necessary as you simply follow the boardwalk and coastal paths all the way to the edge of the port of Porto and from there turn inland following the river Douro until you reach the famous Eiffel bridge where you can cross over into the main town or take the funicular up to the cathedral.

I tried at Vila Nova de Gaia to cut across diagonally to save some kilometers but regretted it as the area immediately became very hilly. I returned to the coast and just followed that, and recommend doing the same, as the easiest and most picturesque way into the city.

On route you will pass by the amazing Capela do Senhor da Pedra - Portugal’s own church by the ocean (take that Muxia!) - as well as pass through some beautiful beach and water areas.

Here are my GPS tracks, if anyone is interested. I've corrected and quantised them to be a bit neater, and removed the bits where I took wrong turns!

Stage 1: https://www.wikiloc.com/wikiloc/spatialArtifacts.do?event=setCurrentSpatialArtifact&id=58942405
Stage 2: https://www.wikiloc.com/wikiloc/spatialArtifacts.do?event=setCurrentSpatialArtifact&id=58942495
Stage 3: Just follow the coast all the way!
Thanks for sharing đź‘Śthis year was a complete mess up! Next year I look forward to the Camino Portuguese from Lisboa and will definitely walk your path.
Warmest Wishes & Vaya con Dios!
Capt Vivek Bhasin

This looks like a great alternative, thanks for all the information. The only potential downside I see is that this much nicer entrance into Porto does not take you to the high point in Gaia across the bridge, where the view of the old riverfront in Porto is a really fabulous view. Ranks right up there with walking into Toledo on the Levante, IMO. (my avatar picture was taken from there)

So to anyone who will take @Ungawawa’s very nice looking route, do yourself a favor and make sure you get back to the Jardím do Morro. Though you can’t tell from google maps, the garden is up top, with the rest of Gaia and all its port lodges steeply below, down close to the river.

It’s easy to get there, either on foot or by taking the tram across the river. If you’ve seen pictures of the bridge, you can see it has two levels — one down at river level, and one up high that roughly links the cathedral to the park. That level is open to people on foot, and the tram goes across as well. I’ve attached a screen shot of how to walk.

IMO, it would be a pity to go to Porto and not get that great view — it’s also a very nice place for a picnic.

Buen camino, Laurie

Attachments

• 5F88A488-2CB0-477E-B72D-8AAC01BFD8FA.png
    5F88A488-2CB0-477E-B72D-8AAC01BFD8FA.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 13
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
This looks like a great alternative, thanks for all the information. The only potential downside I see is that this much nicer entrance into Porto does not take you to the high point in Gaia across the bridge, where the view of the old riverfront in Porto is a really fabulous view. Ranks right up there with walking into Toledo on the Levante, IMO. (my avatar picture was taken from there)

So to anyone who will take @Ungawawa’s very nice looking route, do yourself a favor and make sure you get back to the Jardím do Morro. Though you can’t tell from google maps, the garden is up top, with the rest of Gaia and all its port lodges steeply below, down close to the river.

It’s easy to get there, either on foot or by taking the tram across the river. If you’ve seen pictures of the bridge, you can see it has two levels — one down at river level, and one up high that roughly links the cathedral to the park. That level is open to people on foot, and the tram goes across as well. I’ve attached a screen shot of how to walk.

IMO, it would be a pity to go to Porto and not get that great view — it’s also a very nice place for a picnic.

Buen camino, Laurie
That does indeed look beautiful. Good to know I still have something to look forward to when I finish these unwalked stages in the future. Thanks!

Most read last week in this forum

Hello! My partner and I are preparing to do around 7 days of the Camino Portuguese route, starting at the end of April. We're flying to Porto from Edinburgh, and looking at the best route to...
Will be walking the CP in Aug/Sep with planning clearly focused to staying (for the most part) on the Litoral. However, (using Brierley's Guide) the stage from A Ramallosa to Vigo sets up quite a...
Doing research for my upcoming Camino, I want to connect from coastal to central in Caminha. According to JB the ecopista is pleasant along the river, but I notice Stingy Nomads recommend the...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back