• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Alternative lodging along the camino francese

ivar

Administrator
Staff member
Hi all,

I received a private message about ideas on alternative lodging on the camino Frances, and while preparing the answer I thought that this might be useful for everyone, so here are some tips. This might be especially useful these days when the albergues are filling up fast. This might be "Plan B".

1) Check out this pdf document that was sent to me by someone a while back (I think it was Sillydoll). It has a list of small hotels along the route with contact information.

2) Mundicamino.com has a great set of pages where they present each stage of the camino Frances with lodging and other facilities for each stage:
http://www.mundicamino.com/ingles/rutas.cfm?id=15
- Click a stage, and then look at the menu to the left (blue background). Lodging is an item on this list.

Buen camino,
Ivar

Attachments

• camino_alternative_guide.pdf
    238.4 KB · Views: 145
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Alternative accommodation

Hi Ivar,
Yes - I did send you the list of alternative accommodations for the Camino Frances.

Another good brochure to have is that Red Albergues - http://www.redalberguessantiago.com
which lists all the refuges along the way including their albergues and which is updated annually.
It is a little fold out list only 3" X 3" and contains other useful info such as distances between the albergues, internet facility, bar or restaurant, banking etc.
On the reverse is info on their 27 albergues with telephone and email address (where available).
I could scan it and send it to anyone who would like a copy.

Good afternoon Sillydoll

I would like a scanned copy . If you could send it to my email address, that would be great

Regards
Bharat

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Hello Sil
I would also like a copy of this, if you would be so kind - mjramsay@bigpond.net.au. And I would love to know more about how you went on your Italian pilgrimage. I read your messages with great interest, and I'm sure many other people did, too.
Thanks
Magnara

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Red Albergues 2006 List

Hello Magnara,
I have sent the list to your email address.
The walk to Rome - Via Francigena - was quite magical! We only did about 700kms of the 1800km route which actually starts in Canterbury, England, but all of it was picture postcard, beautiful weather, kind people, good accommodation, lots of laughs and many blessings along the way.
We started in Vevey on Lac Leman and walked for 8 days in the Swiss and Italian Alps - crossing into Italy at the Gr St Bernard Pass where the famous Hospice and St Bernard dogs are.
We caught a train to Parma from Ivrea and then walked to Rome through the Provinces of Emilia Romagna, Tuscany and Lazio.
The Via Francigena is nothing like the Camino - yet - but give it a few years and I'm sure it will prove every much as popular. Alison Raju who has written a number of guide books on the caminos is walkignt he Via F at the moment and will write the first English guide for Cicerone Press.
We kept a BLOG at http://www.vfpilgrims.blogspot.com and will be compiling a small coffee table sized book on our journey.
Blessings to all pilgrims on theis Forum,
Sil

Hello Sil! I would like a copy of the albergues list. I need to go back & finish reading your blog. I'm glad to hear you & your friends had a good time! Thanks so much for your help on the board. :D

dg

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
list albergues

hi Dawn here, when you check in at st. jean pied de port, you will get a sheet with every available, albergue, refugio and hostel. not necessary to plan to far ahead, this lists the kilometres as well.
d

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back