• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Alternative path from Santo Domingo de Silos

Time of past OR future Camino
Yearly and Various 2014-2019
Via Monastica 2022
This from another thread:
And now to follow the delightful alternative off-topic suggestion — I too highly recommend the walking option back to Burgos on the San Olav. Rebekah and I walked it a few years ago and it is really nice. I’m hoping to walk from Alicante this year, and hope to take the San Olav back into Burgos from Santo Domingo.
OK, I can't resist, Laurie.
This time you must go the long way from SDdS to Covarrubias! Of all the days I've spent on the camino, this is in the top 5. Up there with the Tunel San Adrian, Pancorbo, and going down to the Rio Miño and back up again.
View media item 4869
Somewhere I posted a map...hang on, I'll try to find it and edit the post.

This alternate route has interesting possibilities. You could take a detour to San Pedro de Arlanza, then spend the night in Covarrubias afterwards - and then the next day follow the direct route over to Mambrillas (without going to the hideous chapel), spending the night in Revilla de Campo.
OR...looking at my OSMand map it looks like you can go from SPdA across to Mambrillas on small tracks without going to Covarrubias at all. My mouth is watering at the possibilites!

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I am so happy to have a new opportunity to study more alternatives for Camino 2020, it takes away the sinking feeling about whether this camino is even going to happen this year. I will tell you I got myself boxed into a little corner with my dream about walking to see the church in Berlanga del Duero. Both that church and Quintanilla are only open Wednesday through Sunday. So I will need your expert input here. But I am going to go back and play around with this because I would absolutely love to take that route out of Santo Domingo.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Take your time, I’m not going till May. :p

But here is what looks very reasonable.

Day 1 Santo Domingo to Covarrubias via S. Pedro de Arlanza

Day 2 Covarrubias to Quintanilla to either Cubillo César (Casa Rural, but always filled on weekends) or Mecerreyes (Lana Albergue)

Day 3 into Burgos (about 35 from either place.

While I await your details, again NO RUSH at all, I will have to figure out how this fits in with my long dreamed-of visit to San Baudelio, which is about a week behind Santo Domingo. At some point I will post the possible stages but this new idea means I will spend a night in Santo Domingo, which was not in my plans since I have been there twice. (Idea was to walk Huerta del Rey to Covarrubias, 34 km). But hey, Santo Domingo de Silos is so so lovely, and I am nothing if not a hard core lover of Romanesque, so that would be a nice treat, if I can figure out how to keep the San Baudelio part in tact. So I will do that while you work on Santo Domingo to Covarrubias via San Pedro de Arlanza. ❤❤❤

Last edited:
And I found this, amongst other things...
Which is just plain interesting, as it gives alternate ways and a high way towards Quintanilla

But more to the point:
Here's the 'plain' GR82 between SDdS and Covarrubias:
A screenshot (with the detour to San Pedro and on to Mambrillas added in blue):
Overview-SDdS to Mambrillas via GR82 and San Pedro detour.PNG
And then this:
https://www.wikiloc.com/mountain-biking trails/r2355-covarrubias-arlanza-y-el-gr82-10881162
With another screenshot showing how to get from the GR82 to San Pedro and on to Mambrillas in more detail.
Path down to Mambrillas.PNG
This would be soooo cool. A little road walking on the BU905 between the bridge and San Pedro, but otherwise dirt.

And this photo, probably one of my favorite camino pics ever was taken at the red dot on the third map below - an inset from the first one above (with a slip of the spelling immortalized in the filename! I DO know how to spell 'cemetery' ):
View media item 4869

Attachments

• Side path to mirador above contreras and sad hill cemetary.PNG
    Side path to mirador above contreras and sad hill cemetary.PNG
    1.7 MB · Views: 10
And here's a better one of the San Pedro to Mambrillas part, from a bike wikiloc track that I closed and can't find anymore:

San Pedro to Mambrillas Overview.PNG

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Your suggestion of going from Santo Domingo to San Pedro to Quintanilla to Revillas to sleep Is I think a 40-plus day. But you know I frequently mess up these numbers. And with two visits, to San Pedro as well as the church, that would seem to be crazy long. Am I confused? And going Santo Domingo to San Pedro to Mambrillas means that the next morning I would have to wait around a lot till the church opened, since Mambrillas is only a few kms from the church, and is before the church, right?

And I can’t quite figure out what I would be missing if I followed the idea in post number 4 above.

HELP!!!!!!

Thinking SDdS to Mambrillas, Mambrillas to Revilla de Campo, Revilla de Campo to Burgos.
That 2nd day is relatively short, allowing you to wait til Santa Maria de Lara opens (don't be like me and go on Good Friday :rolleyes: ).

And then you can follow that other track to walk up to the castle, and along the ridge eventually finding your way down the other side and eventualy to Quintanalara, and from there to Revilla.

I am guessing the way via SanP may be a bit shorter to Mambrillas than going via Covarrubias, bu tI'm niot sure by how much. It's less ziggy zaggy.

Last edited:
walk up to the castle
What castle, you ask?
The one that has the photo on this wikiloc track:
(Picón de Lara o Peñalara 1296mts. Quintanilla de las Viñas. Cubillejo de Lara. Vega de Lara Enero 2018)
Looking at some of the pics, some have [!] Markings that say risk. So the front half of this track may be 'interesting.' But the back part could easily connect to Quintanalara - you can see lots of little dirt roads

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
For some reason your link didn’t work for me, but I found it on wikiloc and here is the link that works for me. (Looks like yours is missing the last number)

Ok digging thru my old pics, I found these:
The first shows the ruins of the castilo in the distance, just to the right of SMdL.
The other shows where that track goes, from ground level. It'd be an adventure, to be sure.

Attachments

• IMG_1326 (2).JPG
    IMG_1326 (2).JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 22
  • 20160325_082727_Richtone(HDR) (2).jpg
    20160325_082727_Richtone(HDR) (2).jpg
    737.6 KB · Views: 19
@peregrina2000, and any Lanaphiles - I stumbled across a site that you need to check out if you decide to walk this way. Two pre-romanesque sites between San Pedro and Burgos, in addition to Santa Maria de Lara!
The first is right near San Pedro de Arlanza, so it would pay to linger:

The other one is Modubar de San Cibrian - when I got a tour here from the Mayor, I think he must have been talking about some of this but I couldn't understand a lot of what he has saying. I missed a lot!

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back