• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Alternative POV

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances (2022)
On arriving in Santiago at the end of my Camino I bumped into a Pilgrim I had met a few days earlier. We had an interesting conversation where he asked me whether I considered my decision to walk the Camino Frances to be a selfish act. He made the point that in choosing to walk for six weeks without my husband that I had spent money and time on myself. Did I think that I was choosing 'me' over 'us'? Was it not really a case of self-indulgence? I have to confess that initially I was quite insulted but it actually got me thinking. I really had never considered it in that way.
My husband was very supportive of my choice. He does not feel the call himself though he would very much enjoy the walking and the camaraderie. In fact I had planned we would walk the Camino Ingles and after to Finisterre in June 2020 but we all know what happened to that!
I suppose I felt that since it was a pilgrimage rather than a holiday that I wasn't being frivolous or enjoying myself for six weeks whilst he slaved away at work. As it was my Camino was everything and more and brought me so much joy not to mention hardship and a realisation of my strengths and faults. As for my spiritual growth, it almost brings me to tears just thinking of what it showed me.
It still has me thinking though.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
My husband is retired and has gone to Spain on his own to walk, go to school to learn Spanish, and volunteer. Sometimes we go together and other times he goes alone because I am still working. I don't begrudge him the time or opportunity and we discuss the money spent together. I am happy for the joy he experiences. Perhaps the person you spoke to has another relationship issue that he was projecting onto you?

Are married couples supposed to be joined at the hip and do everything together, spend all money exactly equally? Would you begrudge your husband if he spent money on golfing every week or went on a fishing trip with buddies while you were at home or working?

Seems like the person who posed that question had their own issues to resolve.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
People who are married or otherwise in committed relationships are still individuals with individual interests. I will be walking my first Camino next year. I am a teacher so getting the time off isn’t an issue. While my husband would like to go, he cannot get that kind of time off and he supports me going alone. On the other end, he is an avid golfer, something I have zero interest in, so he goes on golf trips with his buddies while I stay home.

Is there a certain amount of selfishness in leaving for several weeks? Sure, from the standpoint of he will have to do everything at home by himself during that time. But we are both the kind of people who appreciate our alone time and we support each other doing what makes us each happy as individuals as well as a couple.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
As an old friend of mine once remarked: "Me and my wife, we are equal. If she wants a new dress she can buy a new dress. If I want a new car I can buy a new car..." o_Oo_Oo_O

After over 40 years together The Beloved and I tend to do what we want to do, and tend to support each others choices.
Be careful Tinc....have you seen the prices of some of those dresses?

On arriving in Santiago at the end of my Camino I bumped into a Pilgrim I had met a few days earlier. We had an interesting conversation where he asked me whether I considered my decision to walk the Camino Frances to be a selfish act. He made the point that in choosing to walk for six weeks without my husband that I had spent money and time on myself. Did I think that I was choosing 'me' over 'us'? Was it not really a case of self-indulgence? I have to confess that initially I was quite insulted but it actually got me thinking. I really had never considered it in that way.
My husband was very supportive of my choice. He does not feel the call himself though he would very much enjoy the walking and the camaraderie. In fact I had planned we would walk the Camino Ingles and after to Finisterre in June 2020 but we all know what happened to that!
I suppose I felt that since it was a pilgrimage rather than a holiday that I wasn't being frivolous or enjoying myself for six weeks whilst he slaved away at work. As it was my Camino was everything and more and brought me so much joy not to mention hardship and a realisation of my strengths and faults. As for my spiritual growth, it almost brings me to tears just thinking of what it showed me.
Mrs Henrythedog and I think time together is important, but also time apart. We try to encourage each other in what they choose to do. We each have a modest ‘none of your business’ budget which funds our ‘selfish’ projects.

I can easily think of more extravagant, and less interesting, uses of a month than walking a Camino.

This is the kind of thing that makes my eyes narrow and shoot daggers. Who is this rude man who asked you such a thing? (that's rhetorical) As others have said, he has his own issues to work on.

Worry not, LongRun64. There is a difference between selfishness and self care. I am pleased you had a meaningful pilgrimage. Hang on to what you learned about yourself. Your joy is what tells you you are on the right path.

(At the risk of being presumptuous, I take it you are female.) I have seen many women over the years who gave over their lives to their husbands, and when the husband died, the widow was totally lost because she had no life of her own ("he always paid the bills; he always took care of that").

I wonder what age this pilgrim was, in the sense of generation. I hope this is not another indication of a swing towards a handmaid's tale.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I think the word 'selfish' has a negative connotation. But when you're doing the Camino on your own, it's for you. You knew the possibility of your mom's passing at any moment but you felt called to do it. You may do the Camino in honor of someone or for other people, but at the end of the day it is the person doing the walk who's going to make it happen and benefit from the joys and/or suffering of the day. It is your walk.

Those of us who are privileged to finish the CF in its entirety know it's not a walk in the park, per se. Maybe being on your own was your way of therapy already and self-care. I personally think it's good to go on your own journey, no matter if your attached or not. You don't stop being an individual just because you're part of a couple. Just imagine that you returned home midway through the walk and in the midst of all the support from so many people that you actually felt.....more lonely.

Like many of us who just finished, we got a lot to process. Try to focus on your achievements and stay within your head space. It's easy for others to tarnish your experience because of their perspectives, well-meaning or not. Remember, it's your walk, not theirs. And unless you're asking for advice or feedback, it's just that, another person's pov. You can choose to accept or do more with it.

It is very interesting to read your thoughts. Like you I did wonder what his own personal relationship was like. Also like many of you I am of the opinion that marriage does not mean losing yourself as an individual. But it was still a perspective that I had never considered. I don't think he was trying to pick an argument with me. He was just interested in my view. He had posed himself some questions to reflect on during his time on the Camino. So he was obviously fond of deep thought.

It appears you and your partners‘ decision to walk/not walk was based on respect, admiration, understanding, support….love. The question you post longrun64 reminds me of this quote:

“When you ask what love is,” said Krishnamurti, “you may be too frightened to see the answer…. You may have to shatter the house you have built, you may never go back to the temple….Fear is not love,” he said.“Nor is love dependence, jealousy, possessiveness, domination, responsibility, duty, self-pity, or any of the other things that conventionally pass for love. If you can eliminate all these, not by forcing them but by washing then away as the rain washes the dust of many days from a leaf, then perhaps you will come upon this strange flower which man always hungers after.”

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I've found in life that the types of questions people ask of you generally say more about them than about you. Perhaps it's more reflective of the Camino teasing out the internal challenges he was facing around his own relationships? The timing - right at the end and a time of joy and relief - is not a great place to start seeding doubts in the minds of others. In my mind, that was the true selfish act here.

Such an interesting question for that other person to ask. The use of the word "selfish" is very telling, because it implies actions with no consideration for others. I sincerely doubt that this is true for you. The idea that spending time and money on yourself as being necessarily selfish is deeply weird and off-putting. My husband and I have shared interests and divergent interests. I can't imagine him grudging me that time or space to do something I really enjoy. He is not that kind of person. I am the same -- I am happy that he can do the things that he loves. It adds an added delight when our interests collide and we act together. I really question the other person's motivation for asking.

If you want provocative questions, look no further than this Camino in the understanding that provocative questions are not necessarily offensive questions. For me, being selfish would be preventing your partner doing something they really wanted to do, be it walking to Santiago or knocking little white balls into a hole with a stick.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
My wife was very supportive when I decided to walk the Camino. She has her life, I have mine and we gave ours. I would never think about denying her the opportunity to follow her dreams.

I like to think of it like the crash instructions that you get on most airlines. "When the oxygen masks drop from the ceiling, put your own mask on first before helping anyone else".

If I am taking care of myself then I am available to help others, if I don't take care of myself then I become a burden.

He made the point that in choosing to walk for six weeks without my husband that I had spent money and time on myself. Did I think that I was choosing 'me' over 'us'? Was it not really a case of self-indulgence?
Some time ago I read a post from someone who had been criticised for choosing to walk a Camino at all. A self-indulgent waste of time and money that could be better spent serving others. If you do have to go walking why not do it closer to home and do some litter picking while you are at it? I have serious doubts about some peoples' urge to ostentatiously wear hairshirts and renounce personal enjoyment for themselves. I have even deeper misgivings about attempts to impose such things on others.

I think the question is valid in some situations. My wife of 42 years snot happy about my leaving for 3 weeks each year, mainly because she is concerned for my health and safety. Yet, she understands my need to be a perigrino. Others might not be so understanding and it might be considered a selfish act to leave him/her/they/whatever, especially on their part. ”Sorry Dear, I am going to leave you for 3/4/6 weeks” might be a selfish act, if Dear really does not like the idea. It is a legitimate question and I, personally, would not take offense at being asked it. Some folks might be more thin-skinned. After due consideration, I do consider my Camino travels to be selfish. While I relax and enjoy the Camino, my wife has to take care of the house, the dogs and unexpected happenings. She is willing to let me go, though, for which she deserves credit. As to why she doesn’t accompany me, after 3 failed back surgeries, an hours walk it the most she can do without pain severe enough to require heavy duty meds, which she had been taking for decades. So, Ellen, this Cruzcampo is for you!

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
My wife calls the taxi to get me to the airport :)

Seriously though, it is the mark of a successful and healthy partnership when one partner likes to see the other enjoy activities that are not part of other's desires or needs. My wife thinks that walking day after day and every day and staying in a different place is absolute torture but she enjoys the stories, pictures, and places that I've walked on my Camino trips. Marriage or partnership is not about being the same. It is about helping your partner succeed and enjoy life together.

What was your response to him?

Thanks LongRun, for sharing your thoughts about the question. As you imply, it is positive to consider other POVs about our actions.
The person who asked you might have recognized that you have an open mind. These kind of conversations can stimulate growth in both parties.
It is not a defect for one person to ask another about their choices, rather it shows that sharing is happening as each exchanges their view. This is a hallmark of the pilgrim.

This certainly sounds to me like questions too difficult to ask himself! Could be he can't yet feel enough positive lessons from his own Camino maybe. I certainly don't know his thoughts or the reasons behind his question. But it's never bad to be asked difficult questions as long as we're not being told what our answers are supposed to be. My sister thinks in a very different way to me and I find her thoughts very interesting though I rarely actually agree with her. She does opens me up to different ways of thinking. On Camino we can meet a huge variety of people from vastly different backgrounds. You might have given him plenty to ponder on and perhaps that is one of his Camino lessons. Who knows!
I along with the majority here have totally supported your decision and need to walk. More importantly you and your husband knew it to be right.

As an old friend of mine once remarked: "Me and my wife, we are equal. If she wants a new dress she can buy a new dress. If I want a new car I can buy a new car..." o_Oo_Oo_O

After over 40 years together The Beloved and I tend to do what we want to do, and tend to support each others choices.
Who knows, but anytime one is disciplined enough to ponder another's thought, this is a positive sign. To often, a person may take offense when receiving such a comment.
At the same time and at certain times, selfishness is a valued trait. Since none of us is or ever will be perfect, not even close, there are times it is absolutely necessary to take time, energy, and effort to heal one's self as we are all, to a certain degree, 'walking wounded.' To acknowledge this is very hard/extremely difficult, but when one does this and takes responsibility in doing so, it is a sign of wisdom or at least in my opinion.
Just as a damaged flower, a damaged child, needs time, effort, and energy to get better, so does an adult, even an adult that has decades of experience of earth and who is supposedly educated.
What do I know, but to me you are to be commended to use the comment as an opportunity for self-reflection. Even for a married couple, their life paths are different and, at times, 'walking alone,' figuratively speaking, is called for (not supposed to end a sentence in a preposition!).
However, take all I say with a thousand grains of salt as I tend to babble a lot.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
On arriving in Santiago at the end of my Camino I bumped into a Pilgrim I had met a few days earlier. We had an interesting conversation where he asked me whether I considered my decision to walk the Camino Frances to be a selfish act. He made the point that in choosing to walk for six weeks without my husband that I had spent money and time on myself. Did I think that I was choosing 'me' over 'us'? Was it not really a case of self-indulgence?

No.

Wow - I will say I relate to your message. I am almost finished my mishmash Camino of 30+ days. I say that because it has been a combo of bits and pieces plus the Aragones and Ingles. I believe that I am probably able to put aside the desire to return for a while as I have been fortunate to have come four times. My husband's is older than me and his knees are shot and is waiting for surgery, so it is not an option for him, but not that I need his permission and I know that he will feel happy when I am safely home. He understands that having done my first Camino after taking care of my Mom before her death, that it has become something that for me and for most people, there is a desire to return.
Before I left, a lady at church asked me why so just couldn’t be satisfied with the ones that I have done and how could I leave my husband again . Well, that gave me a bit of a jolt. I still think about that comment, but as you see, it did not deter me. We have travelled many times together and with luck and good health there may be more, but there is something unique about a Camino. As a lovely poster on the Camino, M.S. Path says when people asked her why she returned over and over and if if I may
quote - “ The body is meeting the challenge, and the soul glows with the effort “. It is a unique experience and has been intensely spiritual also. Return to your hubby , Peregrina and rejoice in gratitude.

Sorry but to me it is simply a very rude question! I assume you are female so was there a sense that it would have been asked to a man?

No need to be defensive. You are well within your rights to enjoy six weeks of frivolity if you so wish. As for your husband ‘slaving away’ ( language is interesting!) I am sure he is just fine!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
You could always tell him to mind his own business !

Have you considered that your fruitful pilgrimage might be an investment in your marriage? BTW, my spouse did it with our son and without me. A blessing for all of us❤️

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
What was your response to him?
Well initially I was very quick to deny it. Pointing out that my Camino was a very personal choice that my husband did not share at this time. That I had saved for it and was living frugally intentionally so to stay in my budget. That our relationship was such that we were fully supportive of our individual choices and we would never deny each other any opportunity to do anything that we really wanted to do. Even if that meant missing someone dreadfully for a while.
And then I remembered that I'm an adult and don't have to explain myself to anyone!
Incidentally I didn't tell him that I had left home in the full knowledge that my mother would not live long enough to see me return. Or that my husband told me that the Camino was the best place for me to be at this time.
Mind you I do believe that it was more important that this man meet me on his Camino than vice versa. I first met him when my friend and I ended up eating at an expensive hotel at Lavacolla. It seemed very odd to us to be eating so lavishly after our usual pilgrim lifestyle. But a combination of her injuries restricting our walking to further flung restaurants, and there being no other eating places resulted in the little shop selling out of most food. So this chap was there and actually my friend had also met him on our walk that day. We asked him if he'd like to join us for the meal. He told us that he'd just retired and was struggling to know how to live this new life. He had come on the Camino from Sarria and had booked it as a tour with his accommodation prebooked in good hotels. In fact he shuddered in horror at our tales of albergues, bunkbeds, shared facilities etc. But the more we spoke about our adventures, the pilgrims we met and re-met, the ups and downs, the more I could see he was beginning to think. We told him about our other Caminos - the Portuguese Coastal, the Finisterre. About how there were many choices of location and time frame. He started to wonder whether he was really seeing the Camino for what it really is.
So little wonder that I should pass him as he sat outside a cafe in Santiago a couple of days later. He asked me to join him. Once again we started to reflect on our experiences. He had decided that his choice of staying in hotels had actually prevented him from experiencing a true Camino because he was not meeting pilgrims so easily. In fact I wonder if maybe we were the only pilgrims he had managed to have such a conversation with. He told me about the ten questions he had wanted to answer during his walk. I'm sorry that I can't remember much about them but they were very introspective. So I think he just wanted to understand why a person would want to go away for 5-6 weeks away from their partner. But really you have to understand the call of the Camino. I thought I was going on the Camino to work out what I was going to do for the rest of my life. It turned out I was on the Camino to realise how I was going to be for the rest of my life.

I thought I was going on the Camino to work out what I was going to do for the rest of my life. It turned out I was on the Camino to realise how I was going to be for the rest of my life.
This. Oh, SOOO much this!

At two weeks away from my next Camino, I feel like this is my focus for this coming Camino. Thank you for sharing this!!!

I have walked several Camino's alone. My wife has no interest in long distance walking. We have been married for 46 years and both of us were looking forward to some alone time. I do have the Camino bug and will walk again. I also tend to like traveling more than her and in a different way. Fortunately we are both happy with our choices.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
And then I remembered that I'm an adult and don't have to explain myself to anyone!

Yup. That, and aside from being courteous and making an effort to not be a nuisance to others, I simply do not care what others think about my personal decisions or choices. . . they are not up for a vote. :)

I met a woman on the Camino last year who was facetiming with her husband on Canadian Thanksgiving day. She had earlier explained to me how she needed to do the Camino on her own and, while she loved her husband, she needed to walk alone. At the time we were sharing a room with a few bunks in Leon and I asked if I could talk to her husband for a second. He was obviously a wonderfully intelligent and secure man and did not gasp when I introduced myself as the man who would be sleeping with his wife that night!! They seemed to have a great relationship. I have learned over the years that it is more important to respect someone than love them.

I do think the question that was asked about the Camino being a selfish act might say more about the person who was asking rather than to whom it was addressed. This was something he was struggling with and maybe only wanted to poke to hear your thoughts.

I have recently had someone give me their opinions about me and how I have chosen to live my life- completely selfishly if you ask my interlocutor. Funny I feel no obligation to answer or clarify or indeed correct. I am letting it go. Not the hill I want to die on...now cruz de ferro would be one hill to die on. You have that option of not answering and keeping your thoughts to yourself and then spilling them on this web site!!!!

Buen Camino

Sorry but to me it is simply a very rude question! I assume you are female so was there a sense that it would have been asked to a man?
Context and manner are important. I think that the OP has now explained that the question was not presented in a rude way - rather as a subject for discussion such as the discussion we are having here on this thread.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
But really you have to understand the call of the Camino. I thought I was going on the Camino to work out what I was going to do for the rest of my life. It turned out I was on the Camino to realise how I was going to be for the rest of my life.
I'm a newbie as being a Camino pilgrim but your statement above distilled what it means to do the Camino imho: To be vs to do.

I know we all have multiple reasons for doing the Camino but I've often wondered what would drive someone, esp those who keep doing Caminos, if they should be realizing a question they want to ask rather than searching for an answer to a question they never had. Just an observation and @LongRun64's conclusion just prompted something I've been mulling for sometime now.

If you got something profound out of the camino, that will affect all your relationships in life at home - starting with the one with your husband. We relate to others in the most balanced way when we have a balanced relationship with ourselves first. So, lots of people do retreats or walk a camino and come out much better able to embody kindness in their lives.

And anyway, everyone has their own marriage. Some are joined at the hip and others are much more independent.

So a question from someone who doesn't know your whole story?
This:
So I think he just wanted to understand why a person would want to go away for 5-6 weeks away from their partner. But really you have to understand the call of the Camino. I thought I was going on the Camino to work out what I was going to do for the rest of my life. It turned out I was on the Camino to realise how I was going to be for the rest of my life.
It sounds like you may have already answered your question.
💖

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Context and manner are important. I think that the OP has now explained that the question was not presented in a rude way - rather as a subject for discussion such as the discussion we are having here on this thread.
Thank you! I have not gathered that view from the OP to be honest but if that’s the case that is fine. I assume the OP is a woman and was interested if she felt that question would be asked of a man?

and was interested if she felt that question would be asked of a man?
Yes you make an interesting point there. I did think that actually. Which also makes me think about how differently some people perceive a female leaving a partner at home as regards to a male. My husband was quite insulted at the number of people asking him how he was managing without me. Not to mention all the wisecracks about getting takeaways. The presumption that he couldn't possibly function alone.

Yes you make an interesting point there. I did think that actually. Which also makes me think about how differently some people perceive a female leaving a partner at home as regards to a male. My husband was quite insulted at the number of people asking him how he was managing without me. Not to mention all the wisecracks about getting takeaways. The presumption that he couldn't possibly function alone.
A few years ago my wife made a huge journey overland to visit family members in Thailand and China. With side trips to Singapore, Korea and Japan. And also to meet internet friends face to face in Belarus and Finland. Almost ten months there and back overland. A trip of a lifetime which I did not grudge her in the slightest. I am quite capable of most domestic tasks and I would be a little miffed at the suggestion I can't look after myself too!

I cope brilliantly when The Beloved is away. By the time I crawl out of bed the pubs are open….

The reality remains that gender role bias still weighs heavily in our societies. The Tinker’s gone walk about, “Oh, that’ll give you a nice rest then.” The Beloved is on tour again, “Oh, poor Tinker, how will he cope.”

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Thank you! That was my initial take actually but didn’t want to presume anything that unfairly labelled the person you spoke to! I understand your husband feeling insulted. Whilst I know it’s jokey, knockabout stuff, it does tie into so many stereotypical narratives that do actually support rampant sexism! Men can’t cope, why aren’t women managing the house etc!

One thing I value is what I might call ' outrageous feedback' because it gives me pause to really reflect on, assess and reconsider my viewpoint. That can only be good for me in that it allows me to expand my thinking while at the same time refine my understanding. Good for you in giving yourself the gift of ongoing reflection.
Like every Camino, every partnership is unique- the same act might be selfish in one relationship and not at all selfish in another. Only the participants can tell.
Finally, in my partnership, my staying at home could be deemed as selfish as my partner totally enjoys their solo time while I am away. 🤣

Thank you for posting this. I agree, based on your words, that the gentleman asked because he was trying to comprehend something he'd never seen before.

I'm female. Married for almost 35 years, thanks to loving a man who really, truly, from the bottom of his soul, is *happy* when I am living/growing/learning/succeeding, and holds me up when I'm failing. I only wish that I do as much for him...he says I do, but those pesky love languages...;)

I've regularly been asked if I wasn't being selfish for...working outside the home. Having two children. Not having any more children. Traveling for work. Changing careers ( twice). Staying in a career. Going on Camino when my biological mother was dying. It never ends.

The best questioners are simply puzzled. They've literally never seen the situation before. The worst are feeling guilty for their own choices, and try to make themselves feel better by trying to convince themselves that there *must* be a fatal flaw in what they see. For those, there is no answer, only, eventually, forgiveness for their judgment.

Buen Camino...and now you know that you have only just started your Way...

Sounds to me like his question, maybe a bit clumsy, was out of genuine interest and not intending to be rude or intrusive.
Context is everything here. Sometimes there is a personal connection even in a passing acquaintanceship which invites a degree of frankness which would normally be resented and rebuffed. An unpredictable alchemy rather than a science.

A selection of Camino Jewellery

As usual, you express thing SO well!

It's a great question. To think about. Maybe not to ask of another ;)

On my first Camino, that I walked alone, this was the question that plagued me for the first 3 weeks........
Many times it had me considering returning home. Why?

My wife was at home with a sick Father.
My business colleagues were having to 'fill in' for me for 6 weeks.
And this was the first time in my life I had done something just for me....
and it just felt......wrong ... and utterly selfish.

It was only an 'intervention' just before Leon that confirmed in my mind that I needed to complete this journey. I've told the story before. It was basically three 'clear signs' in the space of 10 minutes that I should continue. Like, very clear signs!

And that first Camino was the most amazing experience of my life.

My next 2 Caminos were with my wife.
Maybe sub consciously I felt guilty about walking alone again?
But I think it was a genuine desire for her to have the experience I had enjoyed.

My next Camino, will be alone.

I now recognise I need that time alone sometimes to recharge, reflect and be alone with my thoughts in nature. My wife recognises I need it too. She can recharge in other ways that suit her. But this seems to be the only really effective way for me.

So we are both comfortable that I will walk alone again and again. She may never walk another Camino, not for a while at least. Whilst she enjoyed it, it's not really the same 'pull' or 'calling' that it is for me.

So I'm resolved.

At the time, I felt it was a very selfish act.

Now, I think it's something I need, and it makes me a better person for it, particularly for those around me. Working on 'me' in this way, makes 'me' less of a pain in the ass for everyone around me. ;)

Maybe it's an age thing too. (I'm 65).
I was always taught to take care of others, before myself.

Younger generations seem to flip that. Rather like 'fit your own oxygen mask, before helping others'
Which makes obvious sense of course. Just hard to teach an old dog to think that way maybe?
Or maybe it's just an old Military dog thing?

Either way. I won't feel selfish next time :)

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Glad you have that sorted! I need time alone too. Grew up with 3 siblings, moving often, frequently to dwellings that we wished were larger. Plus - I learned to share and to "play well with others". Minus, it could be SO confining. The Camino was great for my alone though I sometimes liked to meet someone at the end of the day, not necessarily going side by side.

Which also makes me think about how differently some people perceive a female leaving a partner at home as regards to a male
The comment that I get - usually from other women, is that I'm "so brave" to walk the Camino solo. I can't imagine that they would say that to a man, and it's a strangely sexist comment from another woman.
No, I'm not "brave" to travel solo to the Camino. It's my preference to walk the Camino as I wish without having to accommodate the needs and desires of another person.

There is a difference between selfishness and self-care. In improving yourself you contribute to the overall strength of your marriage relationship.

It is a question I have asked myself many times as I prepare for my first Camino. I have had several conversations with my wife regarding this. She has no interest in walking herself and she knows how important it is to me. She has been witness to the pull that the Camino has had on me for several years and not only supports my decision to walk alone but has been encouraging as well. Still, the question does nag at me and like @Robo more eloquently explained from his experience, it is something I will need to make peace with. All of the comments have helped me to move towards the knowledge that although this is something I am doing for myself, it is a good thing. Just as my lovely wife has been telling me. One day I might fully believe her. Buen Camino, my friends!

The comment that I get - usually from other women, is that I'm "so brave" to walk the Camino solo. I can't imagine that they would say that to a man, and it's a strangely sexist comment from another woman.
No, I'm not "brave" to travel solo to the Camino. It's my preference to walk the Camino as I wish without having to accommodate the needs and desires of another person.
Where are they from??? I did not feel "brave" living in NYC, just careful. Have traveled in Europe alone, Camino and not, lived in Lisbon and Braga, and never felt "brave".. Glad for adventure, for seeing new things, etc. Traveling with Habitat for Humanity, I heard "Jane, why don't they.....?" and had a difficult time replying without sarcasm, I confess. But to try to be fair, we moved a lot in the US while I was in elementary school so learned early on there are differences right here. Dad helped me learn to be curious rather than threatened or critical.

Seems like the person who posed that question had their own issues to resolve.
I think Northern Light has hit it on the head. When I first read your post I thought your friend needs to keep walking. This pilgrim still has alot of dust to sweep out of their head.
Go home and enjoy the memories and keep the feelings of love and friendship and spiritual growth. Share them with your husband and family and friends. It will bring you all closer. DO NOT let those thoughts enter your consciousness.
Remember what George Harrison said:
Watch out now, take care
Beware of the thoughts that linger
Winding up inside your head
The hopelessness around you
In the dead of night
Beware of sadness

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Not wanting to burst your bubble here, but I regularly get that comment from both men and women. Perhaps I am looking more old and frail these days!!

On the subject raised in the OP, I am quite happy to explain that my wife and I were married later in life after having previous marriages, and there are shared interests we pursue together, and times when we pursue our own interests. Travel activities are one of these areas, where we have a biannual pattern of travelling together in one year, and in the other going to separate destinations. This allows me to undertake pilgrimage walks while my wife will travel to somewhere of interest to her that year. Neither of us see this as selfish.

Well initially I was very quick to deny it. Pointing out that my Camino was a very personal choice that my husband did not share at this time. That I had saved for it and was living frugally intentionally so to stay in my budget. That our relationship was such that we were fully supportive of our individual choices and we would never deny each other any opportunity to do anything that we really wanted to do. Even if that meant missing someone dreadfully for a while.

But really you have to understand the call of the Camino. I thought I was going on the Camino to work out what I was going to do for the rest of my life. It turned out I was on the Camino to realise how I was going to be for the rest of my life.
Everyone has their own reason for walking a Camino and shouldn't (have to) feel selfish. Many of the responses here reflected how I also felt. A great discussion!

On another note - I loved(!) your last two sentences in this post and would like your permission to quote you in my blog at some point. :) So poignant!

It's generally good for a relationship to try to find things to do together. But to imply that doing something separately is selfish kind of goes too far.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
It's generally good for a relationship to try to find things to do together. But to imply that doing something separately is selfish kind of goes too far.
Saint Agustine remarked " Many a righteous women set out on a pilgrimage but few righteous women completed a pilgrimage".

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Sorry no. The quote just came to me as I read some posts. I don't even agree with the saint on this. Keep the org post going.

Saint Agustine remarked " Many a righteous women set out on a pilgrimage but few righteous women completed a pilgrimage".
Nah he didn't, or at least I can't find any attributable source. That old philosopher was doing his stuff a good 400 years before the concept of pilgrimage slipped into the religious vernacular.
Even Chaucer had a bit of respect for the distaff side of the pilgrim horde.
"I know well that Abraham was a holy man,
and Jacob as well, as far as I know,
and each of them had more than two wives,
and many other holy men did as well.
When have you seen that in any time
great God forbade marriage
explicitly? Tell me, I pray you,
Or where did He order people to remain virgins?"

The Wife of Bath

The curious might find this resource interesting:

(edited for accuracy)

Last edited:
Everyone has their own reason for walking a Camino and shouldn't (have to) feel selfish. Many of the responses here reflected how I also felt. A great discussion!

On another note - I loved(!) your last two sentences in this post and would like your permission to quote you in my blog at some point. :) So poignant!
Certainly you may.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I have just completed my fourth Camino and I did each alone. My wife is a keen gardener and spends as much on that as I do as a Pilgrim. Probably more, we don’t keep count. Would I like it if she joined me? YES - she would share in the experience that has given me so much. NO - I would have to do it her way. We talk about doing a short route, from Pont de Lima maybe, with prebooked accomadation and baggage transfer which is the opposite of the way I like to do it. So which of us is being selfish?
I don’t think either of us are, we just have different priorities and, living modestly, are fortunate enough to have the money to indulge them.

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I'd like some recommendations about where to find the most current and up to date information about albergues that are actually open. I'm currently walking the camino Frances, and I can't even...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back