• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Alternative route along coast from Santander

musicianary

Time of past OR future Camino
Hola Peregrinos,
I’m on day 14 since starting in Irun and love, love, love the Norte. The stop last night at the Pilgrim Albergue in Güemes was magical. Don’t miss it. Now in Santander takings two night rest and wondering how many kilometers the alternative route along the coast north from Santander will add. Here’s a shot coming into Santander and my favorite sunrise shot coming out of Santoña.
Thanks everyone,
Dave 6079260793

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi ...
We are finishing Norte tomorrow and have really loved it.
The Santander coastal trail is 33k compared to 14k getting to Boo de Piélagos and was probably the highlight day of our Camino even though it’s not the official route we decided that some pilgrims would have gone right when they got off the ferry boat and did it that way.
The trail is reasonably well marked and we had the Pilgrim es app whenever we were unsure.
The scenery was stunning often, the lighthouse, rock formations, bays and about half way you hit some bars at the more touristic beaches but probably at least 80% of the time you have it all to see yourself once you get out of Santander ... enjoy.

How busy is the Norte at the moment? Just a general idea of numbers. Hoping to start from Irun next Monday (15) July. Thanks!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
The route seems busy enough to often see lots of pilgrims, we stayed mainly in Pensions but rarely heard stories of full albergues, we stayed in one which was lovely in Miraz, O'Abrigo and it was half full.
We avoided the Frances highway and walked the new 'official route' from Boimorto and hit Frances at Pedrouzo leaving the route to cut down the AC6001 ... that stretch to Pedrouzo is about 27K from Boimil, we stayed at the very friendly Pension O Real in Boimil and were they served a great breakfast and were very obliging.

How busy is the Norte at the moment? Just a general idea of numbers. Hoping to start from Irun next Monday (15) July. Thanks!
Not busy from Irun to Bilbao. MUCH busier after Bilbao as many fly in and start here. Many albergues full after Bilbao especially if you land in one that has a festival that week as we did in Castro Urdiales.

Most read last week in this forum

I walked the Camino Francés in Octobee 2022, from Villafranca del Bierzo to Santiago de Compostela, and loved it. I would like to walk the Camino del Norte as I'm drawn to the coast, culture and...
Hello everyone. I know that pre-booking accommodation has been discussed many, many times, so apologies but I wanted to be quite specific. We are walking from Irún to Bilbao in the first week of...
Hello! I am visiting Northern Spain for the first time this June and would am planning on hiking a small segment of the Camino. I've done a little research and decided to hike between Zarautz and...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.