• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Alternative route between the Norte and Frances

sillydoll

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
2002 CF: 2004 from Paris: 2006 VF: 2007 CF: 2009 Aragones, Ingles, Finisterre: 2011 X 2 on CF: 2013 'Caracoles': 2014 CF and Ingles 'Caracoles":2015 Logrono-Burgos (Hospitalero San Anton): 2016 La Douay to Aosta/San Gimignano to Rome:
diariodeleon.es reports on the Ruta vadiniense

One of the alternative routes to Santiago is located in the eastern mountains of Leon. Known as the Camino de Santiago Ruat Vadiniense Picos de Europa.
It departs from the Cantabrian town of Potes and Picos de Europa enters through towns like Boca Huérgano , Riaño, Crémenes up to Cistierna. From here it continues direction Gradefes to connect with the French way out of Mansilla de la Mulas.
About ten years ago, Professor Emeritus of History at the University of Barcelona, Jose Fernandez Arenas Cistierna launched the Friends of Camino de Santiago Ruta Vadiniense Picos de Europa for this route to value and promote. Its headquarters is located in the hostel Cistierna which in turn is used by the pilgrims.
This alternative route is used by few people, but it is still common to see almost every week groups of people traveling this route and it is becoming a new experience for those who have already done the French way . One such case is that of Murcia and resident in Mataró (Barcelona ), Alfonso López Ciller , who upon learning of this route on the Internet decided to live the experience to know this part of the mountains of Leon.
" I did not expect this extraordinary landscape that is in the area of Leon. Valdoré, the Roman road is spectacular and it alone is worth the trip and the walk " said Ciller, who makes a catch to this route since it has many miles of road making it very appropriate to be traveled by bicycle. "I was encouraged to try the Vadiniense route because I wanted to know something different because, although I have made the French way of Santiago, I believe that summer is not a good time because it is crowded."
In his tour of the Ruta Vadiniense Flok accompanies his dog who is more than ten years old.
" The dog takes me thousands of miles. We are inseparable . " He says he makes an average of 25 miles a day. Other stops have been made Riaño and hostels in Cistierna. Specifically Cistierna had contact with members of the Association Vadiniense who are responsible for providing accommodation to pilgrims.
Throughout the summer time has passed and several Spanish and foreign groups have made the tour route and stayed in Cistierna vadiniense .
All that leaves no less surprised by the spectacular mountain scenery and Leon Eastern Roman roads

http://www.rutavadiniense.org/

Attachments

• Ruta vadiniense Picos de Europa..jpg
    Ruta vadiniense Picos de Europa..jpg
    8.3 KB · Views: 2,286
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Sil, I don't know where you find these things but they drive me CRAZY! I would absolutely love to do this. There's an interactive map that breaks it down into six stages (looks like the first stage leaves you to spend the night at the Fuente De parador :D ). The next day begins with the funicular ride up the mountain, which I would suffer through again if it meant being able to walk this.

I remember when I walked the Camino del Norte that the hospitalero in San Vicente de la Barquera had a lot of information for those who wanted to walk from San Vicente to the Santo Toribio monastery at Liebana, which would then hook up beautifully with this Camino Vadiniense.

Reb, I think this one has your name on it.

Buen camino everyone, Laurie

Laurie - this is not a new route. I've just haven't seen anything written about it for ages. I'd love to walk 'todas las rutas de corto' one day and see different bits of el caminos.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I know a woman who lives up in Cistierna and has walked several caminos. She´s never heard of this one! I´ve seen it illustrated several places, and talked about, but I have never spoken to anyone who´s walked it... only people who´ve done bits and pieces. And those tell me it is "bastante."

Which I learned, in the mountain fastness above Ponferrada, means "Santiago´s going to kick your **s."

When I get a mule I will try to ride this trail across the Cordillera Cantabria. But my experiences over the last couple of years on unblazed mountaintop caminos has taken me up to my physical limits and a bit too far over... I´m not going alone any more. It´s just too dangerous up there.

But if someone wanted to go with...?
Yeah. Maybe late September?

Reb.

You peregrina-pioneers walk it first and then let the rest of us know what it is like.

Reb - I nearly gave up on the walk from San Juan de la Pena after reading your report back on it! I should have paid more attention - it was even worse than you made it out to be!!

Let us know what the Picos-peregrination is like!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Okay, adventure lovers, the plans are firming up... Kathypilgrim and I (we walked the second half of the San Salvador last year, just for mountaineering practice!) are planning on walking to Vadiniense starting about September 17. It is about a week´s walking, some of it serious mountain, other parts Roman Road, other parts Visigothic monastery. Pension accomodations, knockout scenery, experienced fellow pilgs. What´s not to like?

Let me know if you would like to walk some or all of the route with us, I think it may be best hiked in company, at least for now. If we are so inclined, we may write up a guide! Public transport is available from Leon/Sahagun/El Burgo Ranero/Peaceable Kingdom. Bring Your Own Compass.

Reb.

It sounds like heaps of fun! Unfortunately I have a flight booked out of Santiago on the 17th and people to meet elsewhere or else I might take you up on your offer.

John

I would absolutely positively love to do this. Unfortunately I am still gainfully employed and can't be there. I hope you will give us a blow-by-blow account of this wonderful journey.

BTW, where are you going to start? San Vicente? or Potes? or somewhere else?

Buen camino, Laurie

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi Sillydol,

You are a mine of information, you are a bottomless pit of information, and you give loads of enthusiasm. CSJSA has a diamond in you. I will once again be knocking on your door for info on my next Camino it is the Del Norte which will be in June 2011 starting in Irun, I will branch off to the Primitivo at Oviedo, to Santiago. Everything I have read thus far has made these 2 routes sound daunting. But I will do it. I would also like to offer my services as a Volunteer Hospitalero en route. Where? I am not sure, maybe you will give me guidance, please. Any other info will be greatly appreciated. Tons of hugs Joy :D

St. James is at work. No Vadinsiense for now, apparently.

After all that downloading and planning, I learned the bus from Mansilla to Potes stopped running at the end of August! I checked with a travel agent who checked with Various and Sundry. And unless I want to spend a day and many Euros on trains and buses via Santander, it´s no go for me. Unless I can find someone to drive me up to Potes! (my husband doesn´t drive any more, and I hesitate to ask a neighbor to take me on that treacherous switchback one-and-a-half lane, under-construction road over Puerto de Gloria... drop me off, and then drive back again to Moratinos :cry: )

So, until the bus starts up again, I fall back and punt.
It looks like we´re back to the Invierno again, to walk the route that threw me so badly in April. Seeing as I explored all the WRONG ways already, and I will have another set or two of eyes to help me spot waymarks and read maps, I figure it´s worth walking again from Monforte. So perhaps we´ll have an English-language guide to that excellent route soon after all!

James Willing.

Reb.

Hi, Reb,

Gosh darn it, I was going to live this route vicariously! Have you considered starting in San Vicente de la Barquera? The hospitalero there (something of an institution I gather) told us that he also has people leaving from there to walk to the monastery at Liebana, which is, I think, right on your route. Unless I'm mixing up my monasteries. It adds another 50 km or so, but what's that to a diehard like you? Of course I don't know if it's any easier to get to San Vicente than to Potes, but I've been in the bus station there and there was quite a bit of activity (granted it was May).

But I am also very happy to have you figure out this invierno route so I can attempt it sometime soon, too!

Keep us posted, Laurie

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Most read last week in this forum

Last year on my camino I was a bit annoyed when someone back home told me to enjoy my vacation. I bristled. Why did that word annoy me so much? I was on a pilgrimage! Anyway, I'm about to embark...
Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back