• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Alternative route par Rocamadour (GR6/GR64/GR652)

sillydoll

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
2002 CF: 2004 from Paris: 2006 VF: 2007 CF: 2009 Aragones, Ingles, Finisterre: 2011 X 2 on CF: 2013 'Caracoles': 2014 CF and Ingles 'Caracoles":2015 Logrono-Burgos (Hospitalero San Anton): 2016 La Douay to Aosta/San Gimignano to Rome:
There is a new book out on the alternative routes in France - with the alternative path on the Le Puy route via Rocamadour (GR6/GR64/GR652)

The route of Rocamadour, which stretches nearly 300km, crossing the plateau of le Causse de Gramat and le Haut-Quercy et l'Agenais. Far from being a "shortcut" to the pilgrimage of yesteryear, this path was a planned pilgrimage to the famous shrine of Rocamadour. The visit to the relics of Amadour and the Black Madonna has built its reputation over the centuries, encouraging economic development and urban population of the city. This reputation was elevated to a "greatest Marian pilgrimage in the West" (J. Rocacher).
This route, marked and maintained, consists of paths GR6, GR64, GR652. The variant is ideal for walking the route from Le Puy enabling you to soak in the quiet of this unique natural heritage (the Causses).

http://www.salviac-tourisme.com/chemin-st-jacques.html

and

http://www.chemins-compostelle.com/Agen ... uchet.html

Attachments

• LES NOUVEAUX CHEMINS DE COMPOSTELLE EN TERRE DE FRANCE.jpg
    LES NOUVEAUX CHEMINS DE COMPOSTELLE EN TERRE DE FRANCE.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 3,490
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I would highly recommend Rocamadour.
I haven't walked that way, I hasten to add, but I have visited it and it was quite spectacular!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
There is another alternative route from Figeac to Cahors that has been recommended to me:

Some walkers turn off the recognised route at Cajarc, and walk along the Lot river to Cahors, and visit St Cirq along the way.The river valley is beautiful, and St Cirq worth a visit.

This variation is covered in the MMD guide on plans Cele 1 - 7. It is about 10km longer than the standard route. The MMD turn off to this route is at Bedeur, not Cajarc, but there are presumably local variants of this route.

Has anyone tried this variation?

Bob M

Bob,
Susan and Sandra walked the Le Puy route back in 2007. I am sorry I can't remember their username on here... I know they walked the Cele variation, but Sandra suggested to me that it was very beautiful but not easy to walk in wet conditions. As it had been very wet for me, I decided it was best not to try it when I came to the turn-off. St Cirq is apparently stunningly beautiful.
Rocamadour is a much harder steeper alternative and I decided it was probably too strenuous/ isolated for me at the time, but who knows, I might return one drier day and walk the Cele variation.
Margaret

KiwiNomad06 said:
Bob,
Susan and Sandra walked the Le Puy route back in 2007. I am sorry I can't remember their username on here...
Ahhhhh remembered....elzi who has a post in this thread was the daughter so maybe you could PM her. And windeatt was the username of her mother.
Margaret

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
KiwiNomad06 said:
Ahhhhh remembered....elzi who has a post in this thread was the daughter so maybe you could PM her. And windeatt was the username of her mother.
Margaret

Thx, Margaret. Elzi gave me some very good information. You have to plan food ahead on the Cele variation, as shops may not be conveniently located. Also, mobile reception can be poor, if you want to book accomodation ahead. The scenery sounds wonderful, and it is less crowded thsn the standard route, so I will probably give it a go

Regards

Bob M

Most read last week in this forum

We commenced walking the Via Podiensis on Saturday 13th April 2024. We are from Australia and find it easier to bring our stuff for the Camino in a suitcase, as we have extra clothes for before...
A special thank you to Dave Whitson for his shortcuts on the GR 65. We had a beautiful day walking by the river Lot into Cahors instead of the regular route. It takes a lot of work to create...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.