• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Alternative Routes to Santiago on Camino Frances

richeyboy

Time of past OR future Camino
SJPdP-SdeC: Oct 2011; SJPP-Leon, Oct 14; Tomar (PO)/SJPP Oct 15
Hi,
I am planning to do the Camino Frances, at last, this coming autumn. It seems that the last 100ks or so can be very crowded even in the second half of October so I am wondering if there are any alternative routes from Sarria or further back say from Ponferrada to Santiago which do not require an inordinate amount of extra distance. Anybody got any ideas or indeed has tried this, it would be great to have your opinion - maybe someone would like to pioneer a new route with me. It is not that I don't want to be with other pilgrims, far from it, but it does seem that that final bit could do with a little less pressure. Richeyboy.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
A new route could mean that you won't have enough stamps to get a Compostela. I think the ruling is two stamps per day to ensure people have walked the last 100km. Of course if you don't want a Compostela or Certificate then it won't matter. Good luck anyway if you decide to branch off.
Sandra :arrow:

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Unless many more people are walking this year, having renounced on doing the Camino in 2010, you should be OK for accommodation at the end of October. In 2009, we arrived in Santiago on 23rd October and we had no problems with finding accommodation in the Albergues (with the exception of Melide, because the albergue was closed for restauration). That was the only place on our whole Camino where we had to sleep in a hotel. Although there were definately more people walking after reaching Sarria, the Camino was never crowded. It's a beautiful time of the year to walk. I think that you will get a better idea of what is going on, regarding numbers and statistics say by July/ August. Anne

I agree with Anne...I think the numbers will be much lower this year in the "shoulder" season on the Camino. I'm actually looking at doing the Camino again next fall, probably mid-September to mid-October. Still trying to decide what route to take. I think you will be fine.

Get a bus from Sarria to Lugo - half hour journey. Take a walk around the best preserved Roman walls in Spain - about 3.5km along the top of the walls.
Get a bus or train to el Ferrol and walk the Camino Ingles back to Santiago. Guaranteed to be solitary! Same landscape as the Camino Frances and you'll qualify for the Compostela.
Download an up-to-date route guide compiled by our John Walker here:
http://www.csj.org.uk/guides-online.htm

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi Richeyboy
It's your Camino and you decide,but as someone who has walked through Sarria 3 times I feel you will miss out on so much by cherry picking the Camino Frances why dilute what is an unique experience because of unfounded facts,yes there are more people on the last bit,but with their joy to be walking they bring things to the party not detract. like you I have sat in East Anglia pre Camino planning this and that before walking and then to have it all change once your there. mainly the fact that by the time you get to Sarria you will have bonded with so many people you will want to finish the job along side your fellow pilgrims.The Camino is what it is you will miss out on so much if you pick n mix.
Ian

Arrived in Santiago late october 2009 having walked from Le Puy.Like Annakappa I do not think the last part of the camino was very crowded. The worst crowd was the first few days from Roncesvalles end of September. Pilgrimdinner at la Posada was a shock after walking on lonely paths in France for a month meeting very few people. Trying to get some breakfast in Burguete next morning was hopeless.
In 2010 I walked St. Jean - Pamplona first week in October, stayed first night in Burguete and only saw 4 pilgrims the next morning.
October is a nice time on the camino. Not too hot. Blackberries still eatable. Ripe grapes. Mushrooms. People get up later in the mornings because of the dark mornings.
In Melide there was a new albergue at the entrance to town. Not many people there when I passed. At the entrance to Palas do Rei was also a new albergue. Had booked a room but was allowed to go into the albergue to have a look. Very nice place, lots of empty beds. I guess I could say the same about most of the places the last week.
You have to make a choice but it is a chance you will feel something is undone if you leave the last part of it.
Randi

Hi annakappa, renegadepilgrim, sillydoll, sagalouts and ranthr thanks a million for your wonderful advice: it seems I nearly stumbled before I had even started but with your guidance the way has been pointed out again and I am truly grateful. Sillydoll, I will keep your tip about the camino ingles for another time but for this year it will be westwards and onwards from Sarria with all the wonderful fellow pilgrims met on the journey. Really looking forward to it. Buen viaje to you all wherever and whenever that is.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
HI all, I will be starting my walk on March 31, taking the Valcarlos Route, and am having trouble getting in touch with the albergue in Valcarlos (tried email and what's app - no luck!). Does...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back