• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Alternative Routes

rupertb

Good evening

As an aspring pilgim (no committed schedule, no plans yet - only a yearning ;)

I was wondering about alternative routes, perhaps paralleling the main caminos.

It seems that at some times of the year (although maybe not quite the nicest times to be walking...?) places can get quite busy - one poster referred to the "camino rush" and I have to admit that sounds stressful.

So I was wondering about the practicality of a parallel route, to a degree "making my own camino", particularly along the later, busier stretches of the Camino Frances (although at that point many of the other paths have "funnelled" into it)

Of course, there is a trade-off between tranquillity and companionship.
And I am not sure where I strike the balance.

Are there other refugios or albergues aside from on the main paths? Or other places that will accomodate peregrinos. Or are there alternate paths with hostels - analagous to French Gites d'etapes (not camino specific, just for any walkers)? Alternatively, is it best to plan on a tent ?

Any suggestions or references? (Maybe I just need to research long distance pasths in Spain and buy a good map?)

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
for info on the supported routes, i.e. maintained by a Jacobean org and/or local governments, see my website http://www.peterrobins.co.uk/camino/
Of course, you don't have to follow an official route and can make your own along minor roads and field tracks if you wish, but as maps of Spain aren't too hot this is not easy. There is little traffic on most of the minor roads, but a lot of the EU finance Spain has received in recent years has gone into covering them with tarmac.

For a starter on long-distance paths in Spain, see http://www.fedme.es/FEDME/Senderos/principal.asp though this has not been updated for quite some time. Few of them are much use for getting to Santiago, and there are no walkers' hostels outside the popular mountain areas. Small hotels and guesthouses are however not expensive in rural Spain.

I strongly recommend the via de la plata. I walked this route in may-beautiful time to go.The most i encountered was 14 pilgrims in one refugio early on-thereafter often no one else. varied scenerey too.give it some thought before it too becomes overcrowded-and it is very well waymarked.
kevin

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Alternate routes are what a lot of cyclists take a lot of the time. This gives you the opportunity of seeing things off the main route though obviously you will miss some things on it.

Are there other refugios or albergues aside from on the main paths? Or other places that will accomodate peregrinos. Or are there alternate paths with hostels - analagous to French Gites d'etapes (not camino specific, just for any walkers)?
The Casa Rurales http://rinconesdelmundo.com/casasrurales/ are similar to B+B / Chambre d' Hotes.

Buen Camino
William

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back