• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Alternative to Allianz travel insurance

JamesGeier

Time of past OR future Camino
CF spring 2016
CF autumn 2017
VDLP spring 2023
I have used Allianz for my international travel trips (Thailand, France, Spain) for the past 12 years. In my recent trip to Thailand, I had a relatively small incident that required 5 stitches in my forehead. Total cost was low (about $400 US), and I provided all hospital receipts. Now Allianz is asking for not only my airline itinerary and receipt, but also proof that the credit card used for the tickets was paid. It is getting ridiculous, and appears to be a stalling technique - every time I submit one document, another is requested. Furthermore, their operation seems to be completely offshore now - I'm not able to talk with anyone for whom English is their native language.

I'm leaving for Spain in less than two weeks to walk the Via de la Plata/Camino Sanabres and I'd like to have travel insurance.
What is a good travel insurance that is not Allianz? HTH Worldwide? Seven Corners? Others?

Thank-you and Buen Camino!
--james--

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
As a Canadian Resident I use CAA (national automobile club) who have been nothing but great and easy to work with, in the US that would be AAA. When I lived in Germany I always used the German equivalent ADAC and they provided some incredible service during a major emergency.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Thank-you, @Mansup. AAA in the United States uses Allianz for travel insurance. Years ago, Allianz was great and I was a spirited advocate of their service, even citing good experiences on this forum. My recent experiences suggest however, that Allianz is not what it used to be, and far worse than I expected. For example, when I was injured in Thailand last December, I called them, and their answer was when you get home, submit a claim using the web site. Almost "don't bother us." This was in great contrast to my using them in 2016 in Spain when they went out of their way to see what help I needed, even calling me to make sure I was all right after getting treatment. And in Thailand in 2012, it was a similar good experience. No longer.

So I'm looking for alternatives. So far, it seems that AXA and HTH Worldwide are leading after searching this forum and general internet searches.

I'm leaving for Spain in less than two weeks to walk the Via de la Plata/Camino Sanabres and I'd like to have travel insurance.

This question is very country-specific, and what I have to say is based exclusively on the US, which is also where @JamesGeier ’s question comes from. I use GeoBlue, but have never had to file a claim. I will say that their customer service has been excellent, but that doesn’t guarantee that their service will be excellent once I switch from person buying to person filing a claim. In any case, take a look at this thread. For me what was most important was high evacuation coverage, good reviews elsewhere, and a medical coverage limit that would be hard to exceed based on what I know about Spanish and Portuguese health care costs.

Thank-you, @Mansup. AAA in the United States uses Allianz for travel insurance. Years ago, Allianz was great and I was a spirited advocate of their service, even citing good experiences on this forum. My recent experiences suggest however, that Allianz is not what it used to be, and far worse than I expected. For example, when I was injured in Thailand last December, I called them, and their answer was when you get home, submit a claim using the web site. Almost "don't bother us." This was in great contrast to my using them in 2016 in Spain when they went out of their way to see what help I needed, even calling me to make sure I was all right after getting treatment. And in Thailand in 2012, it was a similar good experience. No longer.

So I'm looking for alternatives. So far, it seems that AXA and HTH Worldwide are leading after searching this forum and general internet searches.
I suspect that their lack of service is associated with their "free" credit card coverage. I have also had a very bad experience with them using credit card associated travel insurance while some others on here swear by them. Allianz via AAA may be better, who knows.

They seem to operate out of a call centre in the Philippines.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I have been using Seven Corners but never filed a claim. Ultimately you need to hear from people who have filed claims. Most of the positive reviews for travel insurance companies are from people who never filed a claim. I stopped using World Nomads after a frustrating claims process.

Just IMHO:
Avoid Allianz , at least in USA .
Key point is that when you file a claim you become a "cost" and you can never supply enough information. This we know from personal experience. They still owe us over $1,000 US, and we had impeccable documentation.
The Allianz motto seems to be
"Just say no".
On the flip side, when we had to suddenly depart from Muxia on March 11, 2020 and return to the USA 4 weeks early, it took one phone call, a please could you, and GeoBlue refunded our unused health insurance premiums within a week. GeoBlue is health insurance, not travel insurance.
There is a big difference.

I had a similar issue with Allianz payment delays last May from a 10 day Covid layover at the end of our post-Camino trip in Germany. It took me several months of waiting, with phone calls and follow up receipts that were not relevant to the claim (I.e. requiring the original airline receipt regardless of the fact that Lufthansa made the change at no charge and wasn’t in our claim request).

However, they DID pay in full for all our covered expenses. I haven’t found another company that offers an Annual Travel policy like Allianz so I will likely use them again for our August Camino.

I think the delays are from not staffing properly, new staff just following a checklist with no real analysis, and they believe a certain amount of people will get frustrated and not follow up on their claims. If I have a claim again, I will send more information and receipts than I think they need to potentially avoid follow up questions.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I have used Allianz for my international travel trips (Thailand, France, Spain) for the past 12 years. In my recent trip to Thailand, I had a relatively small incident that required 5 stitches in my forehead. Total cost was low (about $400 US), and I provided all hospital receipts. Now Allianz is asking for not only my airline itinerary and receipt, but also proof that the credit card used for the tickets was paid. It is getting ridiculous, and appears to be a stalling technique - every time I submit one document, another is requested. Furthermore, their operation seems to be completely offshore now - I'm not able to talk with anyone for whom English is their native language.

What is a good travel insurance that is not Allianz? HTH Worldwide? Seven Corners? Others?

--james--
I have my medicare advantage plan with United Healthcare, so when I went to Spain I checked with them. They have a good and easy to use website and the price was reasonable. I had no claim but since they are my local insurer I felt safe.

I do not know if you can get it in the United States but I use Mapfre Insurance. I live in Mexico. I get their best coverage for 2 months and it costs me about $250US. I am 69 years old. I have had to use it on two caminos. Once I had a case of bronchial spasms which required 3 visits to clinics for oxygen plus steriods and inhalers. The other time I had a misdiagnosed problem with my severe stomach issues on the VDLP. That time I had to visit 2 clinics that were no help and then I spent almost a day in the hospital in Merida where a young and wonderful doctor said I wasn't going to leave until he figured out my issue. I had 4 different tests run on me plus bloodwork. He figured it out.
Each hospital or clinic I went in I showed my Mapfre policy. The receptionists took a photo copy of it and handed it back. I signed a paper when I left and that was it. My prescriptions I paid for. I got a receipt for them and when I returned to Mexico I gave the receipts to the agent who sold the policy to me and about 4 weeks later I would have a credit on my credit card bill for the cost of the prescriptions from Mapfre. No hassle, no phone calls, no questions and no denied service. Couldn't be better.

I have been using Seven Corners but never filed a claim. Ultimately you need to hear from people who have filed claims. Most of the positive reviews for travel insurance companies are from people who never filed a claim. I stopped using World Nomads after a frustrating claims process.
I did use Seven Corners (the insuring company I used through them was John Hancock) a couple of years ago. When Covid restrictions caused me to cancel my trip, I was able to get refunds from the airline on my own, so I asked John Hancock if they would allow me to instead use my policy the following year’s trip. They agreed. And then other circumstances forced me to cancel last year. I had purchased “cancel for any reason “ insurance (trip, medical, evacuation) and was not able to get a refund for a short Iberia flight. Iberia was not cooperative in showing I had indeed canceled my reservation ( they vacillated between I took the flight and I didn’t show up), so I couldn’t get reimbursed for it. I asked for the cost of my travel insurance to be reimbursed instead ( to extend it for another year would have cost triple the cost of the policy) and they agreed.

Was it hassle free? No. But after sending credit card statements showing I bought the ticket and proof I was still in the US at the time of the flight, they accepted that documentation that I hadn’t begun my policy yet. Reimbursement of the unused policy was about $20 less than the ticket they wouldn’t reimburse.

I was going to use Allianz again, but after hearing your story, I’ll have to do more research myself.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

--james--
I'm sorry to hear this--for your sake. And regrettably I bought Allianz for my Camino this coming May. Years ago I had a good experience with Allianz. They must have changed. I noticed that Forbes has recommendations for this kind of coverage. I looked at several of their recommendations and they were much more expensive than Allianz. You might check out Forbes.

I have responded to previous similar posts and will do so again here. I have used Squaremouth.com to obtain travel insurance for multiple international trips. They are not an insurer but rather a site that allows you to compare a number of travel insurance companies after entering your specific insurance needs. You will receive specific quotes as well as user ratings. In 2019, my wife ended up being hospitalized in Switzerland. The company I had selected (IMG iTravelInsured) ended up paying more than $12,000 and left me out of pocket for only $446 of the claim. There was a $1,000 cap on my extra lodging and rental car expenses and that is where the $446 came from. They paid the full 10 day hospital bill, the ambulance bill and the airline change fees for both of us. I was very diligent in communicating with the company from the beginning as well as in obtaining full documentation for everything I planned to claim. That is much easier to do while you are still there that it would be after returning home. As a note, I did make a small claim ($350 or so) on a domestic trip a number of years with Allianz. It was eventually fully paid, but I do remember difficulty in satisfying them with medical information from the treating physician.

Last edited by a moderator:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I currently buy the annual GeoBlue policy, the enhanced one that runs about $200 per year. They have an older age limit for coverage. Fortunately, I’ve never had to file a claim with them.
I previously had a United policy supplemental to my employer policy and after months of providing documentation about a simple slip & fall laceration, I gave up when they insisted on the clinics complete medical file, which did not exist as they do in the U.S.

--james--
Something to consider on the Evac insurance is where they will deliver you. Some take you only to the closest Hospital in you country. So for U.S. residents that could be Miami even if you live in Seattle, etc.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I just signed up for Geo Blue through Square mouth for an annual policy for my wife and I. I’m 66 and she is 63. $250 annual.

Attachments

• 2A56874E-E25F-4B78-A7D2-BB037A49ECD5.jpeg
    2A56874E-E25F-4B78-A7D2-BB037A49ECD5.jpeg
    904.3 KB · Views: 28
Allianz is the worst. Back in July our United Flights to Spain were cancelled at the gate. We were lucky enough to find replacement flights on Air France departing two days later. The additional flight cost was
$1,800.00 each. We filed a claim when we returnd home and after four months of stalling by Allianz they refused to pay because the flight was cancelled due to mechanical break down. It was our AAA agent that sold us the Allianz policy telling us Allianz provided the most comprehensive policy available. Mechanical breakdown is the # 2 reasons flights are cancelled. Before you buy travel insurance policy do a search on "Squaremouth" you will find that many other travel insurers cover mechanical break down and have better polices for less cost the Allianz. On Squaremouth you can read the plicy details. We will never buy another travel insurance policy from Allianz or AAA.

Somebody else recommended IMG insurance to me and they are in the international travel business. They seem to have competitive rates to Allianz. I have not used but probably will when I head out to do the Portuguese Camino this April. I see someone else has also recommended. I provided a link below. Good luck!

Allianz is the worst. Back in July our United Flights to Spain were cancelled at the gate. We were lucky enough to find replacement flights on Air France departing two days later. The additional flight cost was
$1,800.00 each.
The airline should have sorted your replacement flights - why didn't this happen?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
By the way I am a seasoned traveler averaging 30 flights a year. We looked at all possible alternatives.The first available flight that United could get us out on was 5 days later. Since our hike was booked with Mac's adventures starting on a specific date there was no way we could make that work. By the way I would avoid Mac's Adventures at all costs and that's an another regrettable experience I will post at a later date.

By the way I am a seasoned traveler averaging 30 flights a year. We looked at all possible alternatives.The first available flight that United could get us out on was 5 days later. Since our hike was booked with Mac's adventures starting on a specific date there was no way we could make that work.
That makes sense that you would have to find an alternative yourself.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Just checked--they cover Spain and Portugal as well, though their site isn't the clearest.

I guess that I wasn't clear that they seem to only sell to residents of Latin American countries, they may well offer world coverage. Or are you saying that they also sell their policies to Spanish and Portuguese residents?

I guess that I wasn't clear that they seem to only sell to residents of Latin American countries, they may well offer world coverage. Or are you saying that they also sell their policies to Spanish and Portuguese residents?
That's what I was suggesting. But when you look at their map, there are service locations indicated in east Asia, North America, and Europe as well as Latin America. Sadly, not in New Zealand or Australia.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I went to the mapfre travel insurance webpage and saw next to nothing but when I clicked on an menu item labeled "insurance" it showed several kinds but not travel. I suspect that the site sees where you are and only presents you with a travel insurance option if it is available in your country.

Thank-you everyone for your replies and information. I'm sorry to hear that Allianz has fallen short of expectations for not only me, but for others, as well. Once they were great.

I am leaving for Spain in 10 days. I decided to use AXA for my travel insurance. Partly from the comments here, and partly because of my limited but positive experience with AXA about 18 months ago. When Thailand and other countries were opening up after the lockdowns and restrictions, to travel to Thailand, there were a series of requirements and approval to get. One of the requirements was proof of travel insurance that included covid coverage. They provided a list of approved travel insurance companies, and Allianz was not on the list. So I went with AXA rather than use a Thailand-based company of which I had no knowledge. This past winter, for my most recent yoga-focused trip to Thailand, I went back to using Allianz, and subsequently learned that they are not the company of past.

This forum was so helpful when I was planning my first pilgrimage on the Camino Frances, and again when I planned my second. I thank you all for such thoughtful information.

So now it is onward Los Angeles to Atlanta to Madrid, then train to Seville, and a long walk up the Via de la Plata and Camino Sanabres to Santiago de Compostela. Ultreia!

Buen Camino,
--james--

P.S. I'm from southern California, USA. I'll be walking with my friend Tom from Sydney, Australia whom I met at a yoga studio in Chiang Mai, Thailand. I'll be updating my blog from time to time, maybe daily: https://jamesgeiercamino.wordpress.com/. Right now it still shows the title "Tenth Winter in Chiang Mai" which will be updated to "Return to the Camino" in the next few days.

I currently buy the annual GeoBlue policy, the enhanced one that runs about $200 per year. They have an older age limit for coverage. Fortunately, I’ve never had to file a claim with them.
I previously had a United policy supplemental to my employer policy and after months of providing documentation about a simple slip & fall laceration, I gave up when they insisted on the clinics complete medical file, which did not exist as they do in the U.S.
I use GeoBlue also. They’re much more reasonably priced than most. I was bitten by a monkey in Tanzania, and they paid for my rabies vaccination quickly and in full.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I use GeoBlue also. They’re much more reasonably priced than most. I was bitten by a monkey in Tanzania, and they paid for my rabies vaccination quickly and in full.
Good to hear the actual experience of someone who has used GeoBlue. I have stuck with their annual policy for several years now and have never had to file a claim, but knowing that you have and that you were pleased gives peace of mind.

By the way I am a seasoned traveler averaging 30 flights a year. We looked at all possible alternatives.The first available flight that United could get us out on was 5 days later. Since our hike was booked with Mac's adventures starting on a specific date there was no way we could make that work. By the way I would avoid Mac's Adventures at all costs and that's an another regrettable experience I will post at a later date.
Hi. We are using Macs in September. Is there any way you can tell me your experience? Thank you.

Thanks for the very timely topic and advice. I just purchased Seven Corners from Square Mouth for my trip this fall for the Camino Portuguese from Porto to Santiago. Good ratings, comprehensive coverage. I like the fact that their medical insurance is "primary", there is emergency medical evacuation, trip cancellation, baggage lost, baggage delay - all items I hope will be unnecessary, but good peace of mind. Bob

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Pay close attention to fine print in the policy for both trip cancellation and trip delay. if you buying policy to cover the losses make sure you are covered for "mechanical breakdown of a travel supplier"
Instead of reading the fine print in the Allianz policy we bought it based on the recommendation of our travel agent at AAA. Travel agents must earn a sizable commission for selling these worthless polices.

I've never made a travel insurance claim, but I spent US$ 53 per year for a policy that seemed pretty good in terms of coverage. It was from a company that insures churches and was designed for missionaries, but they had no objection to selling it to me (and they never sent me spam, neither proselytizing nor advertising). They do offer a shorter term than a year. It had a rule that I had to return to USA at least once in 180 days. They had a policy without that rule, but it cost over five hundred dollars.

You didn't say what country you're from. I suspect this plan is not available to non-USA folks (but I don't know). Allianz is German.

I see that the price is a little higher now: https://www.faithventures.com/compare-plans/

€46,-
I heard good things about "World Nomads" but I found it amusingly ironic that a company with that name would not sell to someone who was actually a nomad. When I retired, I sold me house and was homeless by choice while I wandered through dozen of countries for five years. "World Nomads" said they could not insure me unless I tell them my permanent US address and my exact return date!

A year ago I tested positive before my flight home to the US from Madrid. I had to "self isolate" in Madrid for 11 days. I rented a studio Airbnb and changed my ticket home (+$900). I had the high end medical coverage with Travel Insured International. My total extra costs were $2300. I filed a claim in June and received a check for the full amount in November. I also had Allianz insurance for a different flight, in the US, which was canceled on Christmas Day. My extra costs for hotels was a little over $300. Allianz paid the full amount in just a few weeks. Buen Camino

I booked our insurance for our upcoming Camino and a recent Mexico trip with Berkshire Hathaway Travel Protection. The costs were very competitive and the reviews have been good. Fortunately I haven't had a reason for a claim so no personal experience on that side of the transaction.

Does anyone know what the average cost of a night in hospital in Spain would be?

I’m looking for an insurance package would cover me in the event I was hit by a bus or had some other extreme injury. I don’t care about all the ‘little’ expenses these companies cover … if my bag is stolen it’s not catastrophic … but I’m looking at the amount of coverage offered and wondering, for example, “do I really need 2 million dollars coverage for evacuation, when a helicopter ride to the hospital is likely a couple thousand?”

I’m looking for an insurance package would cover me in the event I was hit by a bus or had some other extreme injury.

I think that any travel plan with $50,000 coverage for medical expenses would likely be enough. I have lived in Portugal and Spain for several one year stints, and my husband’s cardiac condition was an ongoing medical cost, along with several other issues. He was hospitalized twice. Though our insurance covered these expenses, we had to pay and then file, and we never got anywhere near to the amount that I now have for travel emergencies.

do I really need 2 million dollars coverage for evacuation, when a helicopter ride to the hospital is likely a couple thousand?”
The evacuation expenses I am more concerned about would be from Spain/Portugal to the US, in the case of something really catastrophic. $2 million seems excessive, but my policy has $500,000, I believe. Along the same lines, I have also made sure that my medical travel insurance would cover repatriation of my remains if necessary. Kind of morbid, and not something that I think about or worry about on the camino, but it could happen.

Along the same lines, I have also made sure that my medical travel insurance would cover repatriation of my remains if necessary. Kind of morbid, and not something that I think about or worry about on the camino, but it could happen.

I have a life insurance policy that will more than cover the cost for cremation and some lucky family member to fly over and retrieve me. I hope they go for a walk while they are at it.

Thanks!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

--james--
Have you checked to see if your credit card already does a travel insurance as one of their benefits? Mine does, so I no longer buy a separate trip insurance policy.

They seem to only offer their policies to Latin American countries.
I remember seeing Mapfre ads and (I think) offices in Spain. I don't remember seeing any in the US. Perhaps there is a regulatory reason.

I have a life insurance policy that will more than cover the cost for cremation and some lucky family member to fly over and retrieve me. I hope they go for a walk while they are at it.

Thanks!

Hmm, sounds like the plot for a movie.😄

Have you checked to see if your credit card already does a travel insurance as one of their benefits? Mine does, so I no longer buy a separate trip insurance policy.
Make sure to read what the policy covers, especially for medical expenses

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Check also that their coverage extends to your entire trip duration. I get 15 days with my cc. In the past, I’ve called them directly to a) get a phone number to be called in case of said emergency and b), to purchase coverage for the balance of the days I’d be away.

I'd like to hear more on this subject to cover several upcoming trips - the USA in June, Spain in Sept/Oct, and US again in Nov. Thinking about annual coverage.
I'd like to find coverage for actual travel (flight interrupts, etc), car rental insurance, and medical (esp. evacuation). I almost got looped into Allianz this morning- glad I read this thread first.

I'd like to hear more on this subject to cover several upcoming trips - the USA in June, Spain in Sept/Oct, and US again in Nov. Thinking about annual coverage.
I'd like to find coverage for actual travel (flight interrupts, etc), car rental insurance, and medical (esp. evacuation). I almost got looped into Allianz this morning- glad I read this thread first.
In my view medical will always be the most important and should drive any decision! Not saying other factors are not important. It’s a real minefield that I was oblivious too for many year!

I just purchased my ticket to Portugal and have aged out of the airline insurance. I’ve used Allianz in the past and have made claims twice. And once when I called from Spain with a problem, they called several times to check on me, while I was on the Camino, even though I didn’t make a claim. But the last time, during the Pandemic when I canceled for a documented medical problem, it took hours of my time and a lot of duplicate documentation to get just $1,000 back. Now i want coverage only for about $2,000 or less and because I’m 76, it’s more expensive and some others won’t cover me. Any ideas?

I just purchased my ticket to Portugal and have aged out of the airline insurance. I’ve used Allianz in the past and have made claims twice. And once when I called from Spain with a problem, they called several times to check on me, while I was on the Camino, even though I didn’t make a claim. But the last time, during the Pandemic when I canceled for a documented medical problem, it took hours of my time and a lot of duplicate documentation to get just $1,000 back. Now i want coverage only for about $2,000 or less and because I’m 76, it’s more expensive and some others won’t cover me. Any ideas?
You just want coverage for your airline fare nothing else?

You just want coverage for your airline fare nothing else?
Airfare and also I’m volunteering for Habitat for Humanity in Porto and it’s about $1500. So in case I can’t go it would be good to have that covered.

Airfare and also I’m volunteering for Habitat for Humanity in Porto and it’s about $1500. So in case I can’t go it would be good to have that covered.
No medical coverage? Sorry I am confused! That said I am from Uk so can’t offer any advice.

No medical coverage? Sorry I am confused! That said I am from Uk so can’t offer any advice.
Sorry for any confusion. Most policies include medical, so I was mainly looking for a policy that covers medical and my costs paid before I leave like airfare and any other prepaid costs.

Sorry for any confusion. Most policies include medical, so I was mainly looking for a policy that covers medical and my costs paid before I leave like airfare and any other prepaid costs.
Sorry, my fault. This sounds very specific to USA folks/market so I won’t get involved!!

€46,-
Hi Irenie - I was in a similar situation regarding a travel insurance claim like you and I ended up frustrated and angry on how I was being treated. So now, I don't buy insurance without speaking to someone first and if I need to file a claim, then I want to be able to speak with the same person I bought the policy. I recommend you do the same as well. You are a the customer and you should be treated like so. In the past, when I purchased travel insurance online and had to file a claim, I had to explain my issue each time I contacted the insurance carrier and no one seemed to care. Now I have a relationship with an insurance agent and she values me and is informed of my trips and insurance coverage. If you need an insurance agent, then please let me know and I will share my agent's contact info. She is awesome!

To close the loop on my problem with Allianz travel insurance from my trip to Chiang Mai, Thailand last winter: I received yet another inquiry asking for proof of payment for my medical bills. I was in Spain walking the Via de la Plata (with travel insurance from AXA), so there was a delay. I called Allianz when I returned home. I told them for the third or fourth time that the bills are clearly marked as PAID in red and I had paid in cash. They then asked me how I got the cash, did I have ATM receipts or other proof of how I got the cash? I kind of lost it then. I told them that it was clear that they did not want to pay the claim, so they should just cancel it and I will never use Allianz again - I will NEVER use Allianz again.

To close the loop on my problem with Allianz travel insurance from my trip to Chiang Mai, Thailand last winter: I received yet another inquiry asking for proof of payment for my medical bills. I was in Spain walking the Via de la Plata (with travel insurance from AXA), so there was a delay. I called Allianz when I returned home. I told them for the third or fourth time that the bills are clearly marked as PAID in red and I had paid in cash. They then asked me how I got the cash, did I have ATM receipts or other proof of how I got the cash? I kind of lost it then. I told them that it was clear that they did not want to pay the claim, so they should just cancel it and I will never use Allianz again - I will NEVER use Allianz again.
That's absolutely ridiculous! Why does it matter how you paid, or where the money came from. The bill was marked PAID!
If you are on Twitter I would post there about this.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I gave up on them when one of their staff phoned the hospital where I was a patient and claimed to be my wife so that she could check up on me by talking to my doctor.

We just returned back to you US from a 11 day cruise out of Venice. I purchased a policy on Squaremouth Issued by John Hancock. The main reason is that I purchased a policy from John Hancock is that they delays caused by "mechanical failure of a travel provider". Alllantz will not cover delays caused by mechanical failure. Mechanical failure is the # 2 cause of airline delays and cancellations. It happpened to us again three weeks ago with our connecting flight out of Newark, NJ. to Venice that was delayed by three hours due to the plane being stuck in the hanger for some unknown reason. If this flight had beeen cancelled we would have missed our cruise. You can read my previous threads about what happened to us with our trip to Spain last summer. I will never buy a travel policy that dose not cover "mechanical failure" I will also add that after the three of us returned home from Spain last summer we submitted a claim to Allantz for almost $5,800.00 for the additional flight costs and it took nearly four months for Allantz to process our claim which of coarse was denied. If Allantz was the only choice for tavel insurance I would save the money and go without travel insurance. As far as medical insurance my Aetna/Medicare policy will reimburse me for any out of pocket expenses while out of the country.

Even though Squaremouth has a lot of travel insurance choices, I highly recommend purchasing a policy from an insurance agent. When you have to utilize the insurance and file a claim, you want someone you can call and who can help you. Trust me! I've filed many travel insurance claims and the majority of the claims that I've submitted through an insurance agent have been processed in a timely manner. Virtually all the claims I've submitted directly have taken me multiple months, dozens of phone calls and emails, and in most cases I've lost a little bit of my sanity as well. I have a girl who takes care of my travel insurance needs. When I have questions or need help, I can call her and she is my single point of contact. The alternative is I can call the insurance company and explain my claim to a new person every time I call. I always feel like I'm resubmitting my claim again with each new phone call / person. Just my 2 cents.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Pilgrims3, your warning was spot on! During my recent Camino Portuguese, my flight from Philadelphia to Madrid was delayed 22 hours (!) due to mechanical issues with the plane. This resulted in my arrival in Porto one day late. I made room reservations via Booking.com for two nights. I purchased travel insurance from Seven Corners. I filed a claim to reimburse me for the missed night in the hotel and for a taxi I had reserved. Total requested claim $138.52. I finally received their response. My claim was denied! Trip Delay due to a cancelled flight requires a "complete cessation of services for 48 hours or more". And Trip Delay benefit was denied since a "prepaid missed hotel stay and prepaid taxi expenses are not covered under Trip Delay benefit".

I use Booking.com extensively for my caminos and often make reservations months in advance. Most reservations can be cancelled with no charge up to a few days before the reservation. Using Seven Corners logic, I can never make "advance prepaid reservations", so this would require me to only make a room reservation when I arrive at the destination. Imagine their response for a much more serious and costly claim! This defies logic and is a scam! Stay far away from Seven Corners Travel Insurance!

Bob

Pilgrims3, your warning was spot on! During my recent Camino Portuguese, my flight from Philadelphia to Madrid was delayed 22 hours (!) due to mechanical issues with the plane. This resulted in my arrival in Porto one day late. I made room reservations via Booking.com for two nights. I purchased travel insurance from Seven Corners. I filed a claim to reimburse me for the missed night in the hotel and for a taxi I had reserved. Total requested claim $138.52. I finally received their response. My claim was denied! Trip Delay due to a cancelled flight requires a "complete cessation of services for 48 hours or more". And Trip Delay benefit was denied since a "prepaid missed hotel stay and prepaid taxi expenses are not covered under Trip Delay benefit
This is why you really need to carefully read the terms and conditions of the policy. I know that every time I have purchased travel insurance I have been given about a week to review the entire policy and receive a refund if I change my mind.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Browncountybob, On Squaremouth you can read the entire policy details before you purchase. I have read though many of the different policies offered and I can tell you there all pretty much the same. The insurance companies write these policies in there favor. When it comes to "trip delay" and "trip interruption" I see little chance of ever collecting on a claim for either. I have heard of travelers that have missed cruises due to airline delays. If I have to be somewhere on a certian day to start a trip rather then buy travel insurance I go early. If I am flying oversees I leave a minumum of three days early. If I am travling domesticly a minimum of one day early. The money I save on worthless travel insurance pays for the extra nights hotel expense and I get to do a little extra sight seeing You may have success with the medical side of it but that gets a little tricky to. I would assume most people have some type of medical coverage anyway.

Last edited:
The money I save on worthless travel insurance pays for the extra nights hotel expense and I get to do a little extra sight seeing You may have success with the medical side of it but that gets a little tricky to. I would assume most people have some type of medical coverage anyway.
Travel insurance has not been worthless for me, and I will continue to purchase it.
Not everyone has medical coverage when traveling abroad. My health insurance policy last year did not. My travel insurance was my primary medical coverage, and reimbursed me 100% when I had to have two surgeries in Portugal after breaking my wrist.

Just a reminder that in the US every state has an insurance commissioner. If you have been treated unfairly or experienced insurance fraud you can file a complaint and ask for assistance.

I always purchase additional travel insurance although I have never needed to use a dime of it. My main objective is to have hospital stays, surgeries and if needing to be flown out somewhere all covered. I decline reimbursement coverage for airfare and lodging as they are mostly a pittance compared to potential medical issues. For cruises and tours I do add in an extra day or two prior to embarkation.
Many interesting accounts on this thread, but other than a few exceptions, I hear few good reports on the forum on most all of the travel insurance companies when four figure reimbursements are sought.
Total requested claim $138.52. I finally received their response. My claim was denied!
I would never bother trying to be reimbursed for a small amount as for me it's not worth the potential hassle.

I'm sure they were more than happy to reimburse you quickly for a simple vaccination.

Medical coverage is important and if you don't have medical then you should purchase travel medical.
You can purchase a travel medical only plan from Geoblue. There very inexpensive.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
GeoBlue is health insurance, not travel insurance.
There is a big difference.
This conversation gives a lot of good information, but @BigT’s comment is one worth repeating and stressing, especially for US forum members. Many of us have no medical coverage outside the country, so it is a very important issue. For years, I have had nothing but medical insurance for overseas travel, and though I’ve never used it, I am confident that GeoBlu (a Blue Cross,Blue Shield company) coverage is sufficient for most of the horrible things that might happen. I get an annual policy (I am in my 70s) and for $575 it covers me and my husband, who is in his 80s. The coverage is the best I could find for both medical expenses and evacuation/repatriation. Since we take several overseas trips a year, it is a real bargain, especially when compared to what two or three separate policies for short periods would cost.

Travel insurance, on the other hand, protects you from things like trip delays, cancellations, etc, lost luggage, etc. Since I carry my backpack, and have very few sunk expenses on camino accommodations, I just don’t think the travel part is worth it for me. Airfares are nonrefundable but changeable, and that’s the biggest expense. Whether it’s worth it for you or not is of course up to you, but I would suggest not sacrificing the medical side of things for what seems like good travel cost coverage.

In 2020, my husband was supposed to go on an expensive organized tour to Egypt with a friend while I was walking. That of course never happened. We had gotten “trip insurance” for the trip, and even though there were all sorts of administrative deductions, and little bits and pieces that reduced the eventual recovery, we were glad to recover a big chunk. I think most pilgrims don’t need this kind of coverage, but if you do pay attention to how much you will actually get back if you cancel the trip. I did not read the fine print carefully and was surprised by some of the limitations.

I have an annual travel insurance policy with Travel Insured International. At 79 I am more concerned with medical coverage and evacuation if necessary. But two years ago I got Covid on the Camino Frances and had to "self isolate" in a Bnb in Madrid for 11 days. It took a couple of months but Travel Insured reimbursed my $1300 Bnb bill and my $900 airfare change. Buen Camino

I'm sure they were more than happy to reimburse you quickly for a simple vaccination.
From what I've seen not really simple, cheap or readily available for humans. Immunizations are two shots spaced out. If bitten, two preventative vaccines if immunized otherwise four. Again spacing is important. The vaccine has to be refrigerated. A friend needed immunization for a trip to Africa about six years ago and she remembers the two shots being about $600 each (America).

€83,-
From what I've seen not really simple, cheap or readily available for humans. Immunizations are two shots spaced out. If bitten, two preventative vaccines if immunized otherwise four. Again spacing is important. The vaccine has to be refrigerated. A friend needed immunization for a trip to Africa about six years ago and she remembers the two shots being about $600 each (America).
My sister-in-law has had special immunizations for travel to Africa on two occasions and Myanmar. I don't recall her mentioning such exorbitant costs.
I was bitten by a dog at home and given a tetanus shot, so I was unaware a monkey bite would be an entirely different beast...I stand corrected.

Last edited:
This conversation gives a lot of good information, but @BigT’s comment is one worth repeating and stressing, especially for US forum members. Many of us have no medical coverage outside the country, so it is a very important issue. For years, I have had nothing but medical insurance for overseas travel, and though I’ve never used it, I am confident that GeoBlu (a Blue Cross,Blue Shield company) coverage is sufficient for most of the horrible things that might happen. I get an annual policy (I am in my 70s) and for $575 it covers me and my husband, who is in his 80s. The coverage is the best I could find for both medical expenses and evacuation/repatriation. Since we take several overseas trips a year, it is a real bargain, especially when compared to what two or three separate policies for short periods would cost.

Travel insurance, on the other hand, protects you from things like trip delays, cancellations, etc, lost luggage, etc. Since I carry my backpack, and have very few sunk expenses on camino accommodations, I just don’t think the travel part is worth it for me. Airfares are nonrefundable but changeable, and that’s the biggest expense. Whether it’s worth it for you or not is of course up to you, but I would suggest not sacrificing the medical side of things for what seems like good travel cost coverage.

In 2020, my husband was supposed to go on an expensive organized tour to Egypt with a friend while I was walking. That of course never happened. We had gotten “trip insurance” for the trip, and even though there were all sorts of administrative deductions, and little bits and pieces that reduced the eventual recovery, we were glad to recover a big chunk. I think most pilgrims don’t need this kind of coverage, but if you do pay attention to how much you will actually get back if you cancel the trip. I did not read the fine print carefully and was surprised by some of the limitations.
I am from the UK but I would say that overseas medical insurance is imperative irrespective of where you live. From a UK perspective if you are free of medical issues you will get more choice and annual policies can deliver great value. Even the ones where you include USA, Canada and (sometimes) Mexico which are high cost destinations from a treatment standpoint.

My main point is to always check the policy. This is not about morals, right and wrong, it’s what in the contract. Be extra careful if you have any pre conditions, undiagnosed systems or residency issues. We have reciprocal health care with many countries and always check that out, but it never covers everything that a travel policy will. Also for example if we do have reciprocal agreement with a country, your insurer may insist you register with them, in order ro qualify for that. Australia is an example of that. We have a reciprocal agreement with EU countries but that doesn’t cover repatriation or private services.

Many policies seem very similar but will be different. Length of stay is a common one. I saw a policy the other day that would only cover hiking up to a certain height above sea level!!

My ‘go to’ provider only initially offers ‘medical cover’ and the you can add baggage and all sorts. I don’t tend to bother with that as I travel mainly with hand baggage and book flights and hotels close to the time on a flexible basis. So that works for me. Of course if you book a long way ahead of time, non changeable, etc you may adopt a different approach.

Look out for quirky stuff too, especially on the single trip polices. So if I fly London to Sydney the plane will stop in Singapore. Most policies will cover you for 24-48 hours there. So if you were taken ill while on a short transit there there could be issues! Assume most USA folks buy a Worldwide or Europe policy, but if you are buying a country only policy (guessing that’s not a thing!) you would need to think about layover points even of only transiting.

Last edited:
Our Allianz policy was sold to us by our AAA travel agent who clearly did not understand the terms of the policy. I assume these policies generate big commissions for the agents. It is an absolute must for the purchaser to read and understand every single word in the actual policy rather then just reading the summery page.

€46,-
It is an absolute must for the purchaser to read and understand every single word in the actual policy

I agree that the best course would be to read the entire policy, but life is short. These policies are legal documents written in gobbledy-gook double speak legalese. Reading the detailed description of what is provided is going to be enough for most of us.

I have told this story before, but a friend who paid careful attention to the wording of the coverage bullet points called to ask one company about coverage. The description listed among the benefits: "arrange for medical evacuation to home country" and "arrange for repatriation of remains to home country."

My friend asked: Does "arrange for" mean "pay for" or does it mean "call around to find someone to do it and send the client the bill?" The response: for medical evacuation, it means the latter; for human remains, it means the former. So, they will pay for your body to be returned, but will only find someone to bring you home if you are alive. Of course, that's what a live person said on the phone, which is not going to do you any good if the small print on the policy says otherwise.

I think there is an element of luck involved in choosing a foreign travel medical policy, which is why anecdotal evidence of others’ experiences has been important for me.

Can I do without travel insurance altogether? I am 79 soon, and travel insurance for the Camino is getting really, really expensive. A neighbour of mine here in Perth, Australia, says he never bothers with insurance. If you are sick and hospitalised, it's bad news anywhere in the world. Surely in Spain you would be sent to the local hospital till you were well enough to travel home. I realise this is taking a big risk, but I am tired of paying through the nose, year after year, and then facing small print exclusions that prevent me from claiming.

€83,-
Can I do without travel insurance altogether? I am 79 soon, and travel insurance for the Camino is getting really, really expensive. A neighbour of mine here in Perth, Australia, says he never bothers with insurance. If you are sick and hospitalised, it's bad news anywhere in the world. Surely in Spain you would be sent to the local hospital till you were well enough to travel home. I realise this is taking a big risk, but I am tired of paying through the nose, year after year, and then facing small print exclusions that prevent me from claiming.
Obviously there is every chance of not needing it, of course most policies aren’t used. But it could be a big bill, you may need to be flown home. It’s a trade off of course. Can you just look at medical cost and not look the other stuff, although I would guess that’s the bulk got the charge.

Sadly Australia doesn’t have reciprocal healthcare with Spain. Its does with a number of European countries.

I hear you! I started buying medical insurance about ten years ago when my domestic insurance policy started to exclude out of country medical costs.

Your situation in Australia is probably very different, so keep in mind that I'm only talking about my experience in the US. I have decided to go with a company that offers no protection for travel costs, only protection for medical expenses. That narrows the playing field a lot and I find that I can choose from several standard, well known national companies that do international medical coverage in addition to their national business. United Health Care and Blue Cross are the two I've used. No coverage for trip delays, no coverage for missed flights or lost baggage, but for someone going to walk on the camino, those losses would not be very great anyway.

Health care costs in Spain, even when paid privately, are but a fraction of the price in the US, so for an injury like a broken arm it would not be catastrophic to pay out of pocket. It´s those big unknowns, like death, a stroke, etc, that I am really insuring against. Not to be too morbid, but I am comforted by the fact that my insurance will pay for medical evacuation and repatriation of remains (to the tune of hundreds of thousands of dollars in costs), so that's what I'm paying for.

Just boils down to how much risk you want to take and what costs you are willing and able to take care of if something bad, something very bad, or something tragic happens to you on the Camino. Good luck with this decision, buen camino, Laurie

Another closure on travel insurance. I was in Chiang Mai, Thailand this past winter with travel insurance from AXA, and had to visit the hospital/ophthalmologist because of an infected corneal abrasion. After returning home, I went through the process to file a claim with AXA. The process was fairly easy to follow, and within 10 days, I had payment.

I'm returning to Spain in May to complete the Via de la Plata / Camino Sanabres that I had to stop last year at Granja de Moreula because of severe tendonitis. Starting in Zamora. Needless to say, I have travel insurance from AXA.

Buen Camino!
--james--

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Health care costs in Spain, even when paid privately, are but a fraction of the price in the US, so for an injury like a broken arm it would not be catastrophic to pay out of pocket.
I broke my arm/shoulder last May, and living in the US, between ortho visits, X-rays and physical therapy the total cost out of pocket if I'd not been well insured totaled $19,500, and I didn't even require surgery.

Another closure on travel insurance. I was in Chiang Mai, Thailand this past winter with travel insurance from AXA, and had to visit the hospital/ophthalmologist because of an infected corneal abrasion. After returning home, I went through the process to file a claim with AXA. The process was fairly easy to follow, and within 10 days, I had payment.

I'm returning to Spain in May to complete the Via de la Plata / Camino Sanabres that I had to stop last year at Granja de Moreula because of severe tendonitis. Starting in Zamora. Needless to say, I have travel insurance from AXA.
I'm so glad that you had a good experience with AXA. Ten days is really quick to get reimbursed!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I would advise contacting an insurance agent that specializes in travel insurance. It will save you time in having to read the "fine" print and you will get a quote for a plan that meets your needs. I have found out it's easier to share what I want with an agent than trying to compare plans I find online. Safe Travels :)

I'm 79 as well and at this age, I'd not travel without insurance.
Small things can suddenly turn into big things.
Certainly, get medical with a good evacuation coverage.
A friend got very ill in Italy and it cost her over $40,000 to be medivaced back to the US!
I've used it only twice in all my travels, but it paid big time both times!

I would advise contacting an insurance agent that specializes in travel insurance. It will save you time in having to read the "fine" print and you will get a quote for a plan that meets your needs. I have found out it's easier to share what I want with an agent than trying to compare plans I find online. Safe Travels :)
I like the SquareMouth site because they have a lot of filter that you can use to get exactly the coverage that you need.

I broke my arm/shoulder last May, and living in the US, between ortho visits, X-rays and physical therapy the total cost out of pocket if I'd not been well insured totaled $19,500, and I didn't even require surgery.
$$$$’s. Mucho. And you’re talking US$ ‘s.
That would be AU$30,000. !! I visit US regularly and wouldn’t visit USA without insurance . (Or anywhere in the world ).

$$$$’s. Mucho. And you’re talking US$ ‘s.
That would be AU$30,000. !! I visit US regularly and wouldn’t visit USA without insurance . (Or anywhere in the world ).
Yes, I wouldn't have wanted to pay that full amount out of my own pocket. The amount I owed I think was under $1000.

Most read last week in this forum

hola, I have been trying to book a train from Madrid to Sarria to meet with friends on the Camino. The process works until the payment page. It asks for an email address and a phone number...
I trying to purchase my one way ticket from Santiago de Compostela to Porto.I cannot find any info on bringing my luggage with me( a small carry on and a knapsack) anyone taken this bus? Can I...
Last year made the mistake of travelling after the 500k walk to Porto and Barcelona and Cadaqués then the UK.(All amazing) but I was too tired to make the most of it. So this year I’m lucky...
Beginning March 1, my husband and I walked from Santo Domingo de la Calzada to Astorga on the CF. Prior to our trip, I had contracted with Jacotrans to move our bags for 21 straight days...
Trying to determine best way from Madrid airport to Leon? Thank you
Just saw a press release from Correos announcing that they will be offering a left luggage service at all of their 2,000+ offices throughout Spain. For up to 15 days at a time...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back