• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Alternative to Orisson

bunnymac

Time of past OR future Camino
CF 2012 SJPP-Logrono, 2013 Logrono-Burgos, 2014 Burgos-Leon
CF August/September 2016 SJPP- Santiago
I'm walking with a friend from SJPP on 5th April. I have made contact with Orisson but they cannot confirm accommodation until the day before. I have walked this way twice before, once staying at Orisson, the other braving the mountain in one day. Needless to say, I prefer the sleepover at Orisson option. Any advice or ideas?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I have made contact with Orisson but they cannot confirm accommodation until the day before.

Hi, well that’s a new one. They either have a bed available, or they don’t. (They are a business.) Do you know the reason why they cannot confirm a bed until the day before? If one books a bed at Orisson a deposit has to be paid by PayPal. So either they have a bed or they don’t. Curiouser and curiouser.
Jill

The confusion and stress that now often comes with booking at Orisson has added a new level of stress with new pilgrims.
It seems that many have come to believe that stopping there on the first day is close to mandatory.

It is a relative new phenomenon that is widely encouraged here on the forum and on the American Pilgrims Facebook page. Most pilgrims continue to simply walk to Roncesvalles. Orisson can only accommodate a very small fraction of the people who start from SJPP each day.
There are other options.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I have made contact with Orisson but they cannot confirm accommodation until the day before.
This means they are fully booked and unable to offer accommodation until if/when they receive cancellations. Cancellations are most often received last minute and are usually due to travel delays.
All the alternatives listed above are valid.
Regards
Gerard

The confusion and stress that now often comes with booking at Orisson has added a new level of stress with new pilgrims.
It seems that many have come to believe that stopping there on the first day is close to mandatory.

It is a relative new phenomenon that is widely encouraged here on the forum and on the American Pilgrims Facebook page. Most pilgrims continue to simply walk to Roncesvalles. Orisson can only accommodate a very small fraction of the people who start from SJPP each day.
There are other options.

Thank you for saying this. I am not staying at Orisson and always planned to walk straight through to Roncesvalle. My decision was based on the fact that I have hiked and walked long distances before so I am fairly confident I could make it . Then I started following the forums! I began to second guess myself about walking all the way and, more importantly, the whole "you meet your Camino family at Orisson." I've seen so many people on other groups get so stressed about this - including me! But I am still walking all the way through on my first day ;-)

I think this is the point I was trying to make.
Many first time people are being overwhelmed by the constant promotion of stopping at Orisson that it has become mythical.
Too many people seem to get very stressed over getting reservations.

Since most pilgrims continue to Roncesvalles...it is obvious that the choice of new "family" members will be even greater.

I have stayed at Orisson and have nothing against it. It is just is not that exciting or special, in my opinion.
It is good for those who are overpacked and under trained as it is only about 7km.

Just don't fall into the trap that you must stay there or miss something special...

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
The reason I stopped at Orisson last year is because I didn't know how jet lagged I'd be after traveling from the west coast of the US. I have to say that the people who became my first Camino "family" did not stay there with me, though I did see some people from Orisson off and on.

I'll be staying there again this year, but with a friend, and for the same reasons as last year.

I've never been concerned about meeting up with a "family" at Orisson, just with breaking that long uphill walk in two, particularly for those not so fit. Like me.

Now I know the Valcarlos route I'm much more inclined to recommend it. It is really very beautiful in its own right, and challenging enough.

Before the gite at Orisson was built I used to dream about building one near the top of the pass. I even got to the stage of drawing it on paper. With a hot spa. Grand Designs indeed.

I've never been concerned about meeting up with a "family" at Orisson, just with breaking that long uphill walk in two, particularly for those not so fit. Like me.

Now I know the Valcarlos route I'm much more inclined to recommend it. It is really very beautiful in its own right, and challenging enough.

Before the gite at Orisson was built I used to dream about building one near the top of the pass. I even got to the stage of drawing it on paper. With a hot spa. Grand Designs indeed.

I'll stop if you have a hot spa ;-)

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi, well that’s a new one. They either have a bed available, or they don’t. (They are a business.) Do you know the reason why they cannot confirm a bed until the day before? If one books a bed at Orisson a deposit has to be paid by PayPal. So either they have a bed or they don’t. Curiouser and curiouser.
Jill
I suspect that because it is a quiet time of year, and that it's midweek that they don't want to open unless they are guaranteed a minimum number of guests. I used to run a small business myself, so I appreciate that they need a critical mass in order to make it economically viable.

This means they are fully booked and unable to offer accommodation until if/when they receive cancellations. Cancellations are most often received last minute and are usually due to travel delays.
All the alternatives listed above are valid.
Regards
Gerard
They're not booked up, but are merely unsure as to whether they'll be open or not.

Hi Gerard, the full night’s accommodation (including meals) has to be paid in advance, so they couldn’t care less if anyone cancels; the deposit is non-refundable and they have their money. I would also run my business the same way. What bunnymac says makes sense: it’s early in the season, the pass has just opened, but could well close again due to bad weather.
Jill
P.S. Looking forward to another story from your upcoming camino :)

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

There are other options.

Totally agree. I never stop in orisson even for cup of tea
as its only 6km or 1.5 hours from sjpdep. If you are fit for Camino 25km should be no problem.

Our Orisson stay was great for us in 2012. Checking in at the Camino office at SJPDP it was the volunteers there who booked it for us. We didn't pay until we arrived at Orrison. Times have changed.

We were two friends walking together and so had each other for company. We didn't seek and neither did we expect a "Camino family".

We met some great people along the way and sometimes we walked an hour or so with them or we'd bump into them at the next albergues. I am still in touch with one or two.
On one section I walked a few days on my own. I hooked up with some Irish girls on and off but didn't feel the need to join their family or be with them all the time.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I think this is the point I was trying to make.
Many first time people are being overwhelmed by the constant promotion of stopping at Orisson that it has become mythical.
Too many people seem to get very stressed over getting reservations.

Since most pilgrims continue to Roncesvalles...it is obvious that the choice of new "family" members will be even greater.

I have stayed at Orisson and have nothing against it. It is just is not that exciting or special, in my opinion.
It is good for those who are overpacked and under trained as it is only about 7km.

Just don't fall into the trap that you must stay there or miss something special...
Way too soon to be stopping, IMO. My advice to anyone would be "keep walking"

I have been disappointed because no confirmation reply was received yet in spite of my repeated contacts so far. Now I note there are many competitors.

Hi Gerard, the full night’s accommodation (including meals) has to be paid in advance, so they couldn’t care less if anyone cancels; the deposit is non-refundable and they have their money. I would also run my business the same way
Ignoring the situation where the route may not be open on a particular day, you do understand that by receiving a cancellation they have the ability to sell the same bed (or room) twice?
I can assure you this is common in the accommodation industry, whatever one thinks of the ethics of the practice.
I am not suggesting this is done by Orisson, just pointing out an industry wide opportunity.
As to stories, unlike previous Caminos, I have a notebook & pencil for trail-side notes (like Jack in the movie) and a 8" tablet and foldable keyboard. So no relying on memories!
Regards
Gerard

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I began to second guess myself about walking all the way and, more importantly, the whole "you meet your Camino family at Orisson." I've seen so many people on other groups get so stressed about this - including me! But I am still walking all the way through on my first day ;-)
You go, girl!:) You can safely forget those second-guessing thoughts.
It's this weird mystique thing that has no basis in reality--the same kind of value judgement that says the Napoleon Route is the REAL route, when in fact the Valcarlos is actually older. Hollywood aside, there's no 'authorized' way to walk the Camino so long as you just do it. One foot in front of the other will get you there, regardless.
(I've never stayed at Orisson, and never lacked for Camino family. And if you're reasonably fit (and you seem to be) to walk to Roncesvalles is no trouble.)

That whole stopping at Orisson bit get's too hyped up on this forum. I've walked right past it the three times I walked over the Napoleon, pausing there only to replenish my water supply and take the pack off for a bit. I'm sure it's a nice place to hang for the night if you get a late start out of SJPdP, but it's far from mandatory in getting over the Pyrenees.
and that whole meeting your "Camino family" bit there is total rubbish. You end up meeting quite a few fellow walkers (I avoid that term "family") that you frequently hang with before you reach SDC. In 2014 I think I had 3-4 groups I socialized with. The wizard of oz type group in the movie "The Way" was there for story purposes.

and that whole meeting your "Camino family" bit there is total rubbish. You end up meeting quite a few fellow walkers (I avoid that term "family") that you frequently hang with before you reach SDC.
I agree 100%. One of the joys of walking a long camino for me is meeting up with different memorable individuals and groups along the way: some I come across time and again, others a single brief chance encounter. The idea of seeking out a "camino family" (nauseating phrase!) on day 1 and sticking with them for 800km makes my blood run cold...

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hey "bro" I don't exactly remember where we meet but we did have a "family" of sorts for many, many days when we walked the Camino together.
I stayed at Orisson two years ago and met two ladies who I have since walked the Camino again, unbeknownst to me .they were neighbors of mine in Florida.
Personally, I will continue to hype the hype!

Hey "bro" I don't exactly remember where we meet but we did have a "family" of sorts for many, many days when we walked the Camino together.
I stayed at Orisson two years ago and met two ladies who I have since walked the Camino again, unbeknownst to me .they were neighbors of mine in Florida.
Personally, I will continue to hype the hype!
I met you at Casa Magica, Don and again in Ponferrada at albergue Alea.
I got's no ill will for Orisson, and have tipped back a beer there that another pilgrim bought me. If I ever get a late start out of SJPdP no doubt I'll hang my hat there for the night, but do I absolutely have to do that intro thing at the dinner table I heard they do? I think I'd feel I was at an AA meeting or something. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
I'm walking with a friend from SJPP on 5th April. I have made contact with Orisson but they cannot confirm accommodation until the day before. I have walked this way twice before, once staying at Orisson, the other braving the mountain in one day. Needless to say, I prefer the sleepover at Orisson option. Any advice or ideas?

We walked in the winter and Orisson was closed for the season. We stayed at Hunto, in the farm house as there were only half a dozen of us including the host family, but I did see a big dormitory in the grounds.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I left SJPP at 2.45pm, and arrived at Roncesvalles at 8pm in time for dinner, it poured with rain for the duration of it:) So i think, if you are organised, and leave SJPP in the morning, you will easily make it to Roncesvalles by the afternoon..hopefully the sun will shine for you!

I'm taking the Valcarlos route for the first time next month, and looking forward to it immensely. I'm actually hoping to go past Roncesvalles and stay in Burguete my first night. Having walked this way before, do you think that's overambitious?

I'm taking the Valcarlos route for the first time next month, and looking forward to it immensely. I'm actually hoping to go past Roncesvalles and stay in Burguete my first night. Having walked this way before, do you think that's overambitious?
No, not overambitious at all. Burguete is only about a flat 3km past Roncesvalles.
In 2014 I walked to Burguete from SJPdP via the Napoleon route. Took a break at the bar in Roncesvalles, had a beer and then continued on to Burguete and spent the night at the hostal Hemingway used to stay at. It's a lovely little town.
I walked the ValCarlos route in 2013. It's beautiful. I stayed in Roncesvalles that night, but could have easily walked another 3km to Burguete. I kinda wished I had. I was so hungry and had to wait like three hours for dinner, and there's no other cafes or shops there.
ultreia

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I met you at Casa Magica, Don and again in Ponferadda at albergue Alea.
I got's no ill will for Orisson, and have tipped back a beer there that another pilgrim bought me. If I ever get a late start out of SJPdP no doubt I'll hang my hat there for the night, but do I absolutely have to do that intro thing at the dinner table I heard they do? I think I'd feel I was at an AA meeting or something. :D

OK you got me curious - what's the intro thing at Orisson? Is it "Tell us your name and if you were an animal what would you be?"

I left SJPP at 2.45pm, and arrived at Roncesvalles at 8pm in time for dinner, it poured with rain for the duration of it:) So i think, if you are organised, and leave SJPP in the morning, you will easily make it to Roncesvalles by the afternoon..hopefully the sun will shine for you!

Wow? Really? I don't think it I can do it in 5 hours but I am confident I can do it in 6 or 7 (keeping in mind a coffee break at Orisson and general photo distractions). I don't want to get there too early and be waiting around to eat. Sounds like I can sleep in on my first day and leave around 9 ;-)

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Jill

The Napoleon route may not be open April 5th. In January they told us it could be closed as late as the end of April.

Another reason we'll be staying in Orisson is that we want to go past Roncesvalles to Espinal the second day. Part of our strategy to avoid Pamplona during San Fermin. :)

Maybe. It all depends how fit you are. For some that extra few kms would be no problem, for others...getting to Roncesvalles is a slog (it's a steepish climb after Valcarlos). The kms from Roncesvalles to Burguete are flat, which is something to consider, but even so it would make for a very long day. If you were to walk to Valcarlos, spend the night there and then go on to Burguete, that would be another story. Easy.
And I agree with @Kanga. This route is very special. You won't regret going that way--and the rest don't know what they're missing.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
@DebR as Viranani says, it depends on your fitness. Last year I enjoyed a late start from SJPDP because it is a lovely town and it is such fun to watch the new pilgrims set off while sitting having an leisurely breakfast. Plus I'm old and unfit. So I stopped overnight in Valcarlos, in which case getting to Burgete would not have been a problem - I arrived quite early. Except that I was ready to stop after the haul up the pass after Valcarlos, and I had the advantage of getting a good bed in the new section of the Roncesvalles albergue.

Hi, my name is Don and I'm addicted to the Camino:rolleyes: and BTW I'll stay anywhere there is good food and comradre even though I prefer to walk alone.
This thread has taken on the weirdest sort of negativity towards a great place to spend the afternoon and night.
Just chill folks, it has a wonderful view and a great deck to kick off your boots have a cold one or two and enjoy the Pyrenees which you may never again be able to experience so up close and personal in rest of your life. The food is good too and it's a nice introduction to the albergue sleeping experience.
I often drive down there from Biarritz when I feel the tug of the Camino on my feet.
The Camino is not a race and this year I plan to prove it by stopping at all the albergues I've skipped in previous years.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
This thread has taken on the weirdest sort of negativity towards a great place to spend the afternoon and night.

I do not see the negativity you mention in the thread. A number of people have suggested that an erroneous orthodoxy is growing that staying at Orisson is an essential element on the Camino, that their experience will be diminished without that stay, and that the walk to Roncesvalles is too far for most people in a single day. Some have stated that they do not want the "camino family" team-building experience which others have enjoyed at Orisson. All that strikes me as a perfectly legitimate difference of opinion.

OK, enough strife in the world without us adding to it.

The OP asked a question - any alternatives to staying at Orisson? Let's get back to that. I realise many people don't think it necessary to stay anywhere and can happily walk through to Roncesvalles, but some of us are not so fit and it is a pity to stymie the walk even before it starts.

We've mentioned walking through Valcarlos, and staying at Valcarlos if needed, or if one wants a leisurely start.

Then, on the Route Napoleon, there is staying at Hunto at the Gîte-Chambre d'hôtes Ferme Ithurburia - where I once had one of the most memorable meals of my life, Madam Ourtiague is a fabulous cook. It is only a short distance (4 or 5km) from SJPDP, but all uphill, and that short distance does help to break the back of the next long day to Roncesvalles (no pun intended!) I have stayed there in preference to SJPDP when the train connection worked that way.

Another alternative not mentioned is catching a taxi back to SJPDP from the statue at the Vierge de Orisson, and getting ferried up again the next day.

It would also be possible to camp or bivouac if the weather was reasonable - but carrying the extra gear needed would rather defeat the purpose.

Try Honto/Ithurburia as an alternative. See more here--
http://www.gites-de-france-64.com/ferme-ithurburia/

Bon chance!

We stayed here as the car ride from Pamplona to SJPP was not good for me. Got out of the car and tossed what was in my stomach (tried to make that sound nice) and we were tried from the long journey to get to Spain. It was nice and quite and great dinner. Much like staying in a Gite along the Le Puy route. It is in France ;)

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
A bit off topic...We arranged 2 nights in SJPP in order to be fully rested and over any jet lag. From SJPP, we walked all the way to Roncevalles (sp?) While it was the toughest day on the entire Camino, it was "do-able" and we were then ready for anything. As for a Camino Family, don't worry...You will join one at the right place!

I suspect that because it is a quiet time of year, and that it's midweek that they don't want to open unless they are guaranteed a minimum number of guests. I used to run a small business myself, so I appreciate that they need a critical mass in order to make it economically viable.

If you had a small business like Orisson then you would realise you do it your way , or as Frank said , MY WAY.
They don't need the money , just do the sums.
Valcarlos kills them all , magnificent walk , beautiful village.

When you get to Santiago i hope you realise that most T/Shirts , and all attire show The Camino Frances starts in Ronscavalles.

Two routes to choose from; Napoleon or Valcarlos. If you take Napoleon and do not stop at Orisson, walk further, you can camp out on the mountain (Summer only) or you may make it to the only shack that is up there, about half way across the top of the mountain.

When I started last August, I had no idea how hard it was going to be on me. (My fault). It took me 9 hours to make it to Orisson from SJPP. Nuff said. When I was nearing Orisson, I was greeted by folks who had walked with me that day, headed down the mountain to an Orisson overflow facility 1 km away.

When I finally arrived at Orisson, I stated, "I do not know if you have room for me here tonight or not but I connot go another step. I am happy to wait to see if there is a "no show," or a cancellation, or I can sleep outside this window on the pavement next to the building." She booked me in immediately, Pierre took my pack across the road and down into one of the dorms, they booked a lunch for me the next day, they booked for my pack to be picked up the next day and sent to Roncesvalles and also booked a taxi to take me to the Cross at the Road so my next leg would only be 10 km to Roncesvalles.

Pricey? Yes, it was a bit but it got me to Roncesvalles, even in my diminished condition.

Here is another topic. The weight you carry must include the weight of your body as well as the weight of your pack. If either is overweight, problems can arise.

It was the next day that, at the River Oro that I tore the IT Band in my left leg and had to stop walking, only three days into the Camino.

The folks at Orisson are Angels and they live in the Heaven that is the Camino.

I haven't walked the Napoleon route. I went via Valcarlos, which is a nice little town in a beautiful setting. I had one of the best, most convivial dinners there at the (very good) restaurant. There were about 20 of us from everywhere sitting outside and enjoying the flow of conversation (and wine ). Interestingly, apart from three of these folk, in Roncesvalles, and one in Viana, I otherwise never saw any of them again. So finding a Camino family is hit and miss, if that's what you are counting on. Also the walk up to the Ibaneta pass is challenging enough, imho.

@MichelleElynHogan thank you for posting so eloquently and honestly. And good to read about @Robo's positive experience walking the Valcarlos route. I'm glad we are getting a bit of balance for those who are not so fit.

We stayed here as the car ride from Pamplona to SJPP was not good for me. Got out of the car and tossed what was in my stomach (tried to make that sound nice) and we were tried from the long journey to get to Spain. It was nice and quite and great dinner. Much like staying in a Gite along the Le Puy route. It is in France ;)
I barely survived that car ride from Pamplona to SJPdP either, but fortunately I was able to keep down my last meal! o_O

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Jill
They told me the reason they don't take reservations until the day before in early season is the weather, they don't know if they'll be open or not.

Hi, I'm a manager of pilgrim's Office of SJPP. Maybe on 5th April it will be too much snow on "ports de Cize" and you could not pass by this way. Better go by Valcarlos and you could sleep on the "albergue" there.
Before starting pass on the pilgrim's office 39, rue de la Citadelle and you'll have all informations you need.

Hi, I'm a manager of pilgrim's Office of SJPP. Maybe on 5th April it will be too much snow on "ports de Cize" and you could not pass by this way. Better go by Valcarlos and you could sleep on the "albergue" there.
Before starting pass on the pilgrim's office 39, rue de la Citadelle and you'll have all informations you need.
Merci Beaucoup

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
If you had a small business like Orisson then you would realise you do it your way , or as Frank said , MY WAY.
They don't need the money , just do the sums.
Valcarlos kills them all , magnificent walk , beautiful village.

When you get to Santiago i hope you realise that most T/Shirts , and all attire show The Camino Frances starts in Ronscavalles.
Well if it's on a t-shirt... it must be true :))))

@Monasp you are a very welcome addition to the forum - how we appreciate the help your office gives everyone as they set out - sensational!

Jill
I have a reservation for September that I am not going to use. I kept sending reservations until I got one. I had within 3 days. If somebody wants, it's yours. It's in my name, however.

I guess I'll be known as Dabo, the stick pilgrim, since I can't figure out how to post a picture.

RUBBISH.

We don't care what T/Shirts say.
We know that Frank, like 95% of people who start in St Jean,
WOULD DO OUR WAY!

Regards
Gerard (the numbers don't lie) Carey

When did you purchase OUR WAY Gerard?
Did it cost much ?

Did you get a price on Valcarlos for comparison ?

My use of My Way was in reply to the OP's questioning the economic viability at Orisson opening mid week and having a set number.
As you know they open on a certain date and close on a certain date with a little flexibility allowed for the weather.
They also have a very, very good business so the OP need not worry about its viability and need for numbers.

** I actually thought STJPdP was a stop over for the Le Puy , Paris or Vezeley pilgrims not a starting point for the Frances.
I thought the Camino Frances started in Ronscavalles , maybe i'm mistaken.
Maybe that ancient beautiful tapestry hanging next to the Parador in Santo Domingo showing the way via Valcarlos is false .
And it could be Gerard as i was given a book by an auntie who walked the Camino from Mont St Michel in **1981** showing St JPdP as a stopover.
The book "The Way of Saint James" was written by T.Layton and thats one reason we walked from Mont St Michel,
However within its covers was a post card on Valcarlos where she stopped , it was dated and stamped 23/6/1981 .
And rest assure Gerard that all the pilgrims within Europe who commence their Camino from ""home "" , that is their front door , regard that as The Way.

As Monsap has indicated the snow could be around and if it is pointless going over the top.
There is beautiful accommodation in the Casa Rural's at Valcarlos if you desire and the albergue is very nice and spacious.
The town has a great supermarket , two lovely restaurants and the valley walk especially in the mist is breathtaking.

Last edited:
We know that Frank, like 95% of people who start in St Jea

Only 12% of ALL Pilgrims commence @ StJean Pied de Port ................. fact.

The numbers will show 7 out of 10 within that 12 % start in STJ compared with Ronscavalles.
70% not 95%.
Would not be in business long mate with that discrepancy

**The same number commenced in Oporto and Tui doing The Portuguese , 12% of all Pilgrims.

And Gerard ;) the Spanish will STILL show Ronscavalles as the commencing point on the shirts, hoodies etc.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
The halfway markers in Sahagún mark the midpoint between Roncesvalles and Santiago.

Gerard is a good bloke Trecile , i await his reply.

Exactly what is expected if going via Valcarlos , very sensible.
If weather is bad keep away from the forest floor after Valcarlos , the country road is still a lovely walk before you leave it at the water fountain.
Great places to stay and eat in Burguete.
Safe trip and Buen Camino Deb.

When did you purchase OUR WAY Gerard?
Did it cost much ?

Did you get a price on Valcarlos for comparison ?

My use of My Way was in reply to the OP's questioning the economic viability at Orisson opening mid week and having a set number.
As you know they open on a certain date and close on a certain date with a little flexibility allowed for the weather.
They also have a very, very good business so the OP need not worry about its viability and need for numbers.

** I actually thought STJPdP was a stop over for the Le Puy , Paris or Vezeley pilgrims not a starting point for the Frances.
I thought the Camino Frances started in Ronscavalles , maybe i'm mistaken.
Maybe that ancient beautiful tapestry hanging next to the Parador in Santo Domingo showing the way via Valcarlos is false .
And it could be Gerard as i was given a book by an auntie who walked the Camino from Mont St Michel in **1981** showing St JPdP as a stopover.
The book "The Way of Saint James" was written by T.Layton and thats one reason we walked from Mont St Michel,
However within its covers was a post card on Valcarlos where she stopped , it was dated and stamped 23/6/1981 .
And rest assure Gerard that all the pilgrims within Europe who commence their Camino from ""home "" , that is their front door , regard that as The Way.

As Monsap has indicated the snow could be around and if it is pointless going over the top.
There is beautiful accommodation in the Casa Rural's at Valcarlos if you desire and the albergue is very nice and spacious.
The town has a great supermarket , two lovely restaurants and the valley walk especially in the mist is breathtaking.
Thanks for that. In all likelihood we'll be taking the Valcarlos route. I didn't imagine that such a pedestrian (no pun intended) question would cause such a stir. I know from first hand experience that I prefer the stopover. My walking pace, including breaks is about 3kms per hour because of a disability. Practicality dictates the need to break the journey NOT the need to be part of some bigger experience. I could probably make the journey in one day if I planned carefully enough. However, I know from prior experience (walking into Roncesvalles alone, in the dark and too late to get a meal), that a stopover is essential. Thanks again for the advice.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back