• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Alternative to shampoo?

AussieJan

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances 2012
Via de la Plata 2013
Chemin le Puy (2015 hopefully)
Just wondering if anyone can recommend a multipurpose soap - body, hair, laundry?

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Didn't have any myself, but I heard some pilgrims raving about Lifeventure All-Purpose soap.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Yep, its called......shampoo :)

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
My stomach turns from just walking past a lush store. That smell....ieuwwww:p:)

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Tut tut, fellas, it's because nothing is packaged and therefore better for the world ... Thanks, LesBrass, I used the Seanik for the first four weeks of my six week CF and have fallen in love with Karma Komba - though I have also got Montalbano, Jason and Honey from the new range which is without bits! Much better for your laundry!

Dr. Bronners "magic" soap bars. Lots of flavors. Available at Whole Foods and other places.

Spanish walkers swear by the multipurpose "Lagarto" soap, which can be bought everywhere. It is so popular that it even has its own Wikipedia entry and it is recommended by some Spanish online guides, as Mundicamino. I have used it, and it was just fine.
Generally speaking, I try to use local resources, because it is one less thing that I have to worry when I am preparing my travel, and they are easily replaceable. But personal care is, well, a very personal thing.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Having a wikipedia entry is not that difficult. Even my unborn camino blister could have one.

i am bringing a bar of homemade soap from home. I've tried it out as shampoo a few times and it works great. It's all natural, moisturizing and tried and true.I find Ivory and similar brands really drying and lots of the fragrances in other soaps irritating.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
FWIW, I have VERY dry skin and really can't use the same soap for my hair/body and my clothes--the clothes would end up an oily mess or my skin would completely flake away! Last time I used a moisturizing bar of soap for hair/body and a bit of Fels Naptha I brought from home for my clothes. When I ran out of that, I found I even preferred the bar of Chimbo brand soap that I bought in a Spanish grocery store. After I bought it, I noticed many women using it at those outdoor communal laundry tubs some of the villages have. I will do the same again, with maybe the addition of a Lush hair conditioner bar because my hair is longer and therefore even dryer now.

Having a wikipedia entry is not that difficult. Even my unborn camino blister could have one.
Well, Wikipedia has a "Notability" test for entries; new contributions are watched and reviewed, and actually most of them are erased after a few days. Not a perfect system, obviously, as it happens. On the other side, if we discuss a particular camino blister for some time, and it becomes an issue of public interest, it may fulfill the criteria for relevance. :)
Anyway, I only mentioned the Wikipedia entry to show that this particular soap has a very peculiar and curious place in Spanish pop culture.

There are the "Kathmandu" shampoo leaflets. Not terribly good, but very light.
On the Camino I wash my hair twice a week with shampoo and on all other days rinse it well with water. During the occasional hotel stay I get refills for shower gel and shampoo.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Well, Wikipedia has a "Notability" test for entries; new contributions are watched and reviewed, and actually most of them are erased after a few days. Not a perfect system, obviously, as it happens. On the other side, if we discuss a particular camino blister for some time, and it becomes an issue of public interest, it may fulfill the criteria for relevance. :)
Anyway, I only mentioned the Wikipedia entry to show that this particular soap has a very peculiar and curious place in Spanish pop culture.

Thats ok. I only said what i said as a joke :) but i am fairly sure that some of my blister deserved their own wikipedia page, considering they've had just about any color know to mankind. I bet even Pantone could have been inspired by 'm.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...
I've stopped procrastinating and done my first pack. Was a bit nervous about being under 7kg hand luggage, but on the first try I've come to 5.9kg (13 pounds). (Not counting one set walking...
Hi there! I was on the fence about poles bc I've never used them and as mentioned previously, brand new to hiking. But because I'm in treatment for breast cancer and as such have a decent amount...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.