• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Alternative to the ALTUS -

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Still seems pretty heavy at 280 grams (10 ounces). Though it is far less expensive than the poncho I use, a GoLite Poncho/tarp. Not too sure about the material either. The more expensive materials hold up for years of use. I've not torn mine yet.
Will love to see your review of the Bluefield.
Thanks.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I bought one to bring with me. It looks adequate, but haven't tried it out yet. But will do so as part of my training this winter.

Also, I use the Packa by Cedar Tree Industry in the USA. URL is http://www.thepacka.com . Telephone 706-276-2351. There is a good choice of materials, sizes and colors. Good quality construction and looks less bulky than the Bluefield. Buen Camino.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Also, I use the Packa by Cedar Tree Industry in the USA. URL is http://www.thepacka.com . Telephone 706-276-2351. There is a good choice of materials, sizes and colors. Good quality construction and looks less bulky than the Bluefield. Buen Camino.
CORRECTION: After looking at the current website I noticed that there is not much of a choice of colors. This is not what I remember from when I purchased mine about a year ago. Now it appears that particular colors go with different fabrics. I have had good experiences with my Packa and have walked around 3000 kms this year with it. Sorry for any inconvenience with this correction. Buen Camino.

The packa isn't long enough for me. I like my hips and legs to be covered. With the ALTUS even my feet usually stay dry.

Still seems pretty heavy at 280 grams (10 ounces). Though it is far less expensive than the poncho I use, a GoLite Poncho/tarp. Not too sure about the material either. The more expensive materials hold up for years of use. I've not torn mine yet.
Thanks.

It's lighter than the ALTU
Thanks.

Considering the ALTUS is 14 ounces, the GoLite comes in at 11 ounces, and this Bluefield is only 9 ounces, it doesn't feel heavy to me.

I've read reviews on the GoLite and it appears it "sticks to you" when you're walking. That would drive me nuts. I also don't like the sides being open, even if they're snapped. Wind gets in and chills me.

Also, the price of the GoLite is much more expensive than an ALTUS. And this Bluefield is even less costly.

Nope, I'm snug as a bug in my ALTUS, but will try the Bluefield, at least here in the windy desert, to see if it holds up.

If it works, it might be perfect for people that only need gear for this 3-6 week trek on the Camino and who don't want to invest in long-term gear.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I prefer to take my chances with the rain - for most people walking in the summer they might experience no rain or just a few hours - if there is any monsoon-type rain then I'd just take shelter

I much prefer to take either my Goretex pac-lite (260g/9oz) or an even lighter trail rain proof (110g/4oz)

As for the pack, I bring a couple of dry bags to protect just the essentials

We are walking in March and April. I live in Washington state weber we now in our rainy season. We use a REI long poncho and down jacket. For our rain jacket over our down we wear Frog Togs. This is the lightest most rain proof clothing I have ebbed used. I wear them over my leathers when riding my motorcycle regularly. The they work 100% of the time and fit into a medium compression sack.

I've wondered about Frog Toggs.
I think they're heavier, though I need to check the weight.
What I like about the ALTUS is the ability to just take my arms out of the sleeves while walking and let it hang.
I don't have to stop and take my pack off each time it stops or starts raining.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
annie, thanks for starting this.

There are a great range of products available.

As I"ve been so used to the "parka" (generic word) for going outdoors that"s what I took with me when starting training a few years ago. At about 300 grams, plus a pack cover at about 200 grams, this seemed a lot of deadweight.

With trial and error and a lot of google searches I came across the zPack range. Relevant here is their poncho with the extension to cover the pack and which also doubles as a ground sheet.

Weighs about 150 gram (5 ounces I think). I understand the material used was first used for yacht sails. While lighweight it does not compact up. I fold it flat and put in the the large pouch on the outside back of my pack.

It is very roomy and not clammy. It acts something like a bell so keeps water away from my knees and feet. Also I"ve walked with my arms inside without difficulty.

annie, thanks for starting this.

With trial and error and a lot of google searches I came across the zPack range. Relevant here is their poncho with the extension to cover the pack and which also doubles as a ground sheet.

You're welcome :)
Alwyn, do you have a link for that poncho?

You're welcome :)
Alwyn, do you have a link for that poncho?

http://zpacks.com/accessories/groundsheet_poncho.shtml

They focus on really lightweight gear. I warm a little to the owner as he did Te Araroa (= the long way) of about 3,000 km in my part of the world a few years back. He also posts his pack lists which I found helpful in keeping my overall weight down to about 4 kg before adding an Android tablet and water.

And I've also found Ivar's pack list helpful in getting down to essentials.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Looks really tempting. I have a red Ferrino that ways more. A lot of days I kept looking at it and its weight and wondered... until the rain came and then came again the next day. A medium would have fit, but a member of this forum gave me a great deal and the large was great as it gave me more room and the sleeves were long enough to go over my hands on my poles keeping them dry.

I think a lot depends on the time of year and how wet you are willing to get and how important weight is. But, thought it may give a different insight.

Annie, I have had a Bluefield Poncho for about 12 months and it seems to work well. I was attracted by the price (about $16) in case I didn't like wearing a poncho. (As a side note I have just noticed that Amazon will now NOT ship to Melbourne, Australia, my home town!) Whilst it may not have long sleeves, as with the Altus, it still holds up well under heavy rain and has reasonable ventilation. With its light weight it would be suitable for the trails on the Camino, but I would not be taking it into the Aussie bush where it would not stand up to catching on bushes etc. For the low price it is well worth a try.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Annie, I have had a Bluefield Poncho for about 12 months and it seems to work well. I was attracted by the price (about $16) in case I didn't like wearing a poncho. (As a side note I have just noticed that Amazon will now NOT ship to Melbourne, Australia, my home town!) Whilst it may not have long sleeves, as with the Altus, it still holds up well under heavy rain and has reasonable ventilation. With its light weight it would be suitable for the trails on the Camino, but I would not be taking it into the Aussie bush where it would not stand up to catching on bushes etc. For the low price it is well worth a try.

Thanks Wazza. I'm looking forward to receiving mine and trying it out. The price is very attractive, as is the weight.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
How close is the Vaude poncho to an Altus?
http://www.vaude.com/en-GB/Products/Clothing/Jackets/Hiking-Backpack-Poncho-red.html

I have an Exped pack poncho http://www.exped.com/international/en/product-category/ponchos/pack-poncho-ul-m-terracotta I liked mine, worked well in torrential rain. Super expensive (but scout around for discounts). I have very long arms and this worked well for me. I didn’t sweat but I didn’t think the poncho offered much in the way of warmth either.

This poncho looks good from the side. Does it zip? Button? How much was it? It's lighter in weight than the ALTUS, which I like.

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Well…… about $400 usd in socks and liners later and about 160 miles. I live in California near the Sierra mountains so we have some good trails and heat- I wanted to find my perfect combination...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.