Search 69,459 Camino Questions

alternative way from Lugo to Santiago

FatmaG

Since having walked the Camino Frances this year in May, I am longing to walk another one as soon as possible...

Given my time, the Holy Year and other considerations, I would like to walk the Primitivo - possibly in May/June next year.

Is there an alternative route between Lugo and Santiago - what I mean neither via Palas de Rei nor Melide : I would prefer to excape completely from the (probably) big rush on the last part of the Frances in the Holy Year.

Thank you,
Fatma

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi Fatma,
I did look at the alternative route of Lugo - Friol -Sobrado dos Monxes. This does bring you to Arzua with 42k still to go. In other words two nights on the Frances. (in Arzuz and Arca?) It hardly seemed worth it as most walking would be on tarmac / minor roads, so I opted for Lugo - Casa de Ponti (pre-booked) and Melide.
Someone should have a better idea :? . . . Please share if so :?:

Walk well and safely
Tio Tel

Fatima, you could get a bus from Lugo to el Ferrol and walk the Camino Ingles to Santiago. The bus service is Arriva and you can download a timetable from their website.
Johnnie Walker's excellent guide is available on the CSJ website.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Thank you for your answers.

Well, there is obviously not much choice (or too much, depending on the point of view)

I guess, you could avoid the Frances if completely independent (tent, food, good detailed maps etc with you) by walking Lugo - Friol - Sobrado - A Gandara - Sigüeiro - Santiago; but I guess it is just really complicating your life...

I am not sure to be as 'adventurous' - even if looking for a bit more quiteness

The Camino Ingles might be a good alternative, I will think about it.

Has anyone found a way across from Villalba (Camino Norte) to Betanzos (Camino Ingles)? On my map it looks to be about 50 k. It depends of course what there is in the way of population / services etc in between. It will mean crossing the Sierra da Loba - is that wolf country?

Just a thought.
Blessings
Tio Tel

Fatma
You can hike from Lugo across to Friol or Miraz (on the Del Norte), and from there to Sobraado. From there you can take a series of back roads west to Santa Irene. It still puts you on the "main" camino before Santiago, and it involves lots of pavement and orienteering. (no waymarks out there.) But you only have to brave the mobs for a single day.

Reb.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Rebekah Scott said:
Fatma
You can hike from Lugo across to Friol or Miraz (on the Del Norte), and from there to Sobraado. From there you can take a series of back roads west to Santa Irene. It still puts you on the "main" camino before Santiago, and it involves lots of pavement and orienteering. (no waymarks out there.) But you only have to brave the mobs for a single day.

Reb.

Yes, Rebekah, and I believe that this route is marked, not exactly as well as the CF but enough marked.

Buen Camino,

Javier Martin
Madrid, Spain.

Thank you very much for this information, Rebekah and Javier.
This sounds perfectly realisable.

Do you know by any chance whether there are possibilities to stay overnight?

PS it's not the crowds in general that I want to avoid, but those in a holy year - I really disliked (and did not join in) the already harsh rush for beds last May, but sometimes I just got a bed by pure chance. But perhaps, it might be easier in June than in May ?

Hallo Fatma, in Friol you have a very decent hostal right on the main square and a couple of restaurants.
In sobrado you have a large albergues in the monastery and several restaurants. From Sobrado then you go join the CF at Arca do Pino
Regards
Giorgio
PS Forgot one thing. In the albergue in Lugo they' ll provide you with a photocopy of the itinerary from Lugo to Sobrado.
Ciao again

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi,

I just thought i would add a link to this thread http://www.asturmano.com/Paginas/Caminos Santiago/Camino Primitivo/etapa9.html

This should take you to a page where someone has given the route map and a elevation graph for the section between Lugo and Friol, if you go to the top of the page and go on the box which indicates etapa 10 it will give you Friol to Sobrado. The box which indicates etapa 11 will give you the mythical section from Sobrado to Brea(Santa Irene) missing out the Frances.

I did find something a few weeks ago, which gave similar info for the route from Lugo but also showed the variant to Miraz, but stupid me forget to flag the site and i cant find it again.

Mike

Hi Mike

We walked from Sobrado to join the C.F. just before Sta Irena (maybe 1km or 2km) and avoided Arzua. This was in June 2009. It was a longish but flat walk (32 km) and relatively easy because we had already walked all of the Camino Norte. We just followed the CSJ guide -the instructions are right at the end of the Camino Norte Book 2 booklet- there are no arrows to follow really but good directions are given in the book- extremely rural and lots of eucalypts (surprise) . Lots of lovely picnic spots - . The only thing that was a surprise was that we walked "past" the Camino frances then instantly realised we had done so. So I guess it came up on us a bit quickly.
Cheers Jill

Thanks all for the info in this thread. I read that the tracks could be muddy in Late summer, but what about an early May start from Oviedo That would mean about 10 days to Lugo, so arrival at the muddy bits could be somewaher around mid May. My average weather chart for Lugo says the weather is drier in August/September. Does this have a bearing on the degree of mud? When is the least muddy season?

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back