• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

alternatives for Camino Frances

Mountainman

El Croco loco
Time of past OR future Camino
Past: Camino Frances
(StJ-Santiago) 2007, 2009
(StJ-Fisterra) 2011, 2012
Future:
Camino del Salvador 8/2014
Camino Primitivo 8/2014?
Camino del Norte 9/2014,
and hopefully many more yet unplanned
Hi there,

I'm Martin, and hooked to the Camino for life... My first time was in 2007, from St Jean to Santiago, and last year i did the same stretch, both in june/july. The first time was about letting go, of most of my 19kg pack, for one :mrgreen:, and of the love of my life the Camino put on my path before I even reached Orison, for another... Life would never be the same. The second time was more in touch with myself, , with a wicked cool 8,5 kg pack (including water and food) and sort of the way I pictured it would be before I went the first time ;-)

Now I cannot wait for my third Camino, life sometimes feels like filling the gaps in between walking the Camino. Do more people feel like that, or is it just me?

However, I am having trouble making up my mind on whether to walk the same path again, but in another season, or to walk another Camino. Any advice would be greatly appreciated... I was told that every Camino has its own challenges, like hard to find the way, long stretches between albergues, lots of mountains, etcetera. The one book about it (in german, Pilgern auf den Jakobswegen by Raimund Joos) is sold out.

I am not that into reading maps (or finding out I have to walk back because I missed a turn, for that matter), so my preference would be more the physical challenge then the map-reading one.
Also, I'd love to hear about experiences in walking the Camino Frances in autumn/winter/early spring, which is a very serious alternative as it would be easier to get the time off in the off-season for one...

Thanx in advance for any light you can shine on my choise for 2011!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi, I can totally empathise with you, I started the Camino in St. Jean in September 2007 and as I only had nine days had to comfort my self with the thought that I would be back next year (2008). In 2008 it was the same, just nine days and I completed it in 2009 when I managed to get 14 days and made it all the way to Finisterre to satisfy my inner Celt!
I must say each year I looked forward to going back and like you my bag got lighter each year!
It is strange as this year I have no Camino to complete, but am considering going back and trying some of the Northern Route.
Please let me know how you get on if you chose another route, as I will be going in September again.

Also you asked regarding different time of the year, well I chose September as being Irish I would not manage the Spanish sun in the summer. It was quite pleasant and you have the bonus of a lot of fruit and berries ripening on the bushes and trees on route which provide a nice break from the usual cheese and ham sandwiches.
Ciara.

Hi Ciara,

as I am not going this year but next year, I'm leaning towards april, as I dont want to wait until september :mrgreen: . But then maybe the year after in september?

And as I have not had much luck in finding the book on the different routes, nor much response here, I have not gotten much closer to my choise. But then thats the Camino, I will find my choice when the time comes...

Gracias y Buen Camino!!!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I walked from Roncesvalles in the month of March, 2008. I'm sure the weather varies from year to year but I thought it was a good time to walk. THere were a couple of days with snow, a couple of days with light, misty rain. But, most of the days were pleasant (in the 50s-60s--Farenheit) and fairly sunny. The last week was warmer--in the 70s. I liked walking on my own but there were other pilgrims that I met and we'd plan to meet up at certain albergues each afternoon. It was very relaxed--not at all crowded, there were always beds at the albergues, no early morning wake up/rush for beds that I've heard about at busy times.

I walked part of the Camino del Norte from Irun to Oviedo last summer starting in late June. While I think I enjoyed the villages, towns, and general experience of the Camino Frances more, the Northern route is extremely beautiful. I thought it offered more natural beauty than the Frances. I had exceptionally good weather (sunny but not too hot) and I'm sure the bright sunshine added to the coastline.

I'm sure whichever route you choose, you will enjoy. I would recommend the Northern route for it's great views of the coastline. There are a lot more hills on the Northern route (especially the first week between Irun and Bilbao).

Mountainman said:
Hi there,

Now I cannot wait for my third Camino, life sometimes feels like filling the gaps in between walking the Camino. Do more people feel like that, or is it just me?
[quote

Hi Mountainman, I feel the same about the Camino. We did our first, VdlP, from Salamanca, in 2006, and have been hooked since. Since then have done the Madrid and Portugues, but not the Frances. (Too many people for us). I had a hard time trying to get back to normal life after each of our 3 caminos, and spend a lot of time planning the next one..... In 2011 we plan to walk the VdlP but with a few changes, starting from Huelva. It's an exciting challenge to walk a new route. Maybe a different camino would add a whole new dimension for you, and whatever you do, it will be great.

Guides/books for most of the caminos are available through this CSJ website. Some are available to download as well. All the best. Buen camino. Carole :D

Most read last week in this forum

Not sure where to place this. Something is wrong with BOOKING.COM. It has locked me out of my account both thru the app and online. I made ALL OF OUR RESERVATIONS (starting next week) thru them. I...
Hello everyone, I've been browsing this forum for a while now, and it's been incredibly helpful in planning my Camino journeys (so far, I've done VĂ©zelay, Frances, and Portuguese, and tomorrow I...
..all packed and still 24 hours before I start my journey...train to Gatwick,flight to Bilbao, bus to Pamplona the taxi with others to SPDPfor night of 23rd...so what can I do now??
Hi, we are starting from Sarria on April 28, 2024. Getting excited...
New user here. Hello to you all. New to the forum but not to the Camino. I was told about this Forum whilst I walking the lovely scenic 'Camino Norte'. I'm planning walking another in June.

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back