• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Alternatives for evening footwear, including autumn/winter

tommycamino

Time of past OR future Camino
October 2022
I was going to bring a pair of sliders for my evening footwear, as something to wear for the shower, in the albergues and around town. Would I be better off bringing a pair of lightweight trainers (instead)? My feet get cold quite easily and if anything happened to my trail runners, my sliders Adidas would be no good for walking. Am I overthinking this? I leave soon so not a lot of time to get equipment.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I was going to bring a pair of sliders for my evening footwear, as something to wear for the shower, in the albergues and around town. Would I be better off bringing a pair of lightweight trainers (instead)? My feet get cold quite easily and if anything happened to my trail runners, my sliders Adidas would be no good for walking. Am I overthinking this? I leave soon so not a lot of time to get equipment.
I just bring Birkenstock EVAs; the plastic lightweight ones, over socks if it’s chilly. For short periods only I’ve been known to put a couple of plastic bags (or disposable shower caps if you frequent hotels where they leave them in the bathroom) over my socks.

If I have to venture out in the wet; my boots go back on.

Clearly I’m untroubled by considerations of fashion or taste.

Outside of summer I have tried different options- flipflops/sliders, lightweight sketchers slipons, even a pair of slipper boots - all have pros and cons, I have yet to definitely decide for myself which I actually prefer. But if I was going any further than a short stroll from the albergue I tended to put my hiking boots/shoes back on.
If anything happens to your shoes then take a taxi/bus to the next town - it is the camino frances so you are never far from civilisation with sports shops

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I usually bring a pair of light Crocs that I can wear with socks (I hike in the shoulder months). But this October I'm bring a pair of light Tevas instead just in case my feet need a break from boots while hiking as they did a few years back. They'll also serve as good after-hike wear with or without socks. My advice is to bring something versatile and very light!! And, as someone already advised you, alternatives can be purchased if needed along your hike.

So in the past I've always brought inexpensive flip flops or sorta pricey sandals for after walk activities. They are fine, but if I'm going to a restaurant sometimes I feel a little too casual (tho it's never been an issue). Also, they just aren't fun to walk in around town.

Thinking about switching it up to something like this. I've never had a shoe like this before... don't expect them to be super comfortable, just a little better. Lightweight.

Thoughts? Anyone use something like this?

DOUSSPRT Men's Water Shoes Quick Drying Sports Aqua Shoes https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08Y8FLJC5/?tag=casaivar02-20

Anyone use something like this?
They look like something worth trying to see how lightweight and how comfortable they really are. I have a pair of the women's version of these. They are quite comfortable, washable and fit my orthotics, so they are good as my "business" shoes when I do normal travel. They are new since my last Camino so I don't know yet if I would take them instead of my slightly lighter-weight plastic slip-ons.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
What do they weigh Damien? For generally knocking-around in the evening they ‘look’ perfectly respectable, if that’s a consideration. My priorities for my evening attire are comfort and warmth over style; but I sympathise with your view..

My husband ordered a pair of Croc watershoes. Very light. Looks like a kind sandal. He didn't like them as well as a Croc slide, but you might take a look since they can double for shower shoes, dry fast and have the comfort of crocs.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Birkenstocks Eva for showers and warmer evenings. I also took a pair of canvas Croc moccasins for cooler nights and when I wanted to cover my feet up in the evening, which squashed into my pack easily. Hey Dude brand are similar.

My evening footwear is always sandals that I can hike in if necessary. Last year I took Tevas. This year I took Xero Sandals. I wear both with toe socks while on the Camino. Prevents sandal blisters and keeps my feet warm/comfortable. I would wear the same most seasons except Winter. But then again - you won't find me hiking the Camino in the Winter - too cold for me! I like slides and Birkenstocks and such - but I prefer heal straps in case I need to hike in them. I also make sure it is a Sandal that I can get wet and am willing to take in the shower if need be. The straps usually dry pretty quickly.

Basic Crocs, always. On a couple of occasions I had to use them for hiking as a backup to my trail running shoes. They worked fine, even going over the Pyrenees. I put electricians tape over the front holes to keep mud out and water out, which worked ok until it didn't stick. Be mindful that they can be slippery on wet floors. The sturdy "bistro" model has closed holes and a grippy sole. What makes them good for all day working in a kitchen, makes them a good garden or camping shoe when conditions are wet and cold. However, the additional weight keeps those out of our backpacks. They would serve well for someone who isn't counting all the ounces,

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I wear these when I am rock hopping/surf casting at the beach or if I want to walk out on the coral reef.

They would be too sweaty for me around town but you pays your money and you takes your choice.
So basically you are saying, I think, please correct me... that this type of shoe could surely be worn in the shower or on a sidewalk (if it could stand up to a coral reef).

The sweaty part worries me.

I think I'll try them out before I go, which is always best practice for anything, right?

As far as spending goes, I need a new pair of camp shoes regardless, and these are actually on the frugal end of the spectrum for what's available to me these days.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I took a cheap pair of Decathlon sandals to wear evenings and days off so that I wouldn't look and feel like a clodhopper in Spain, which is a very style conscious culture. With black socks they looked fine and I could have walked in them if my walking shoes had packed up.

So basically you are saying, I think, please correct me... that this type of shoe could surely be worn in the shower or on a sidewalk (if it could stand up to a coral reef).

The sweaty part worries me.

I think I'll try them out before I go, which is always best practice for anything, right?

As far as spending goes, I need a new pair of camp shoes regardless, and these are actually on the frugal end of the spectrum for what's available to me these days.
I think that the key thing is that they are designed to be wet. They have good grip and good support for the foot sole.

If the environment isn't wet and it is hot then they are uncomfortable for me.

I sometimes wear them when I do a fishing charter and they provide good grip on the deck and they don't mind some slippery fish guts and blood but if I forget to water them and it is a hot day then they get a bit too hot.

I don't wear them with socks. If the environment is dry then maybe try using socks.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
I think that the key thing is that they are designed to be wet. They have good grip and good support for the foot sole.

If the environment isn't wet and it is hot then they are uncomfortable for me.

I sometimes wear them when I do a fishing charter and they provide good grip on the deck and they don't mind some slippery fish guts and blood but if I forget to water them and it is a hot day then they get a bit too hot.

I don't wear them with socks. If the environment is dry then maybe try using socks.
Well, regardless of the shoes, it sounds like you do a lot of cool things! Thanks for the advice. I've decided to suck up the limited weight and take my Xeros too. I can always toss a pair should experience dictate it.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I think that these shoes are the obvious choice. 😄

View attachment 133471
I notice the yellow arrows on the soles point in both directions. So these shoes are good for those who are walking both to Santiago and back home afterwards. Or perhaps they represent the points in the Camino where the arrows point to both sides of a junction.

I take lightweight crocs sandals, don't mind wet feet if it rains a bit, wear socks if cold. If it rains heavily, back on with walking shoes.

Ok. So I've been wearing those water shoes for a week now on the Frances after reaching my daily destination and they are by far my favorite camp shoes ever tried. I walk around the city, no problem, and at night they actually look good. Not too hot. Lighter than flip flops. Definitely worth a try.

DOUSSPRT Men's Water Shoes Quick Drying Sports Aqua Shoes https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08Y8FLJC5/?tag=casaivar02-20

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Ok. So I've been wearing those water shoes for a week now on the Frances after reaching my daily destination and they are by far my favorite camp shoes ever tried. I walk around the city, no problem, and at night they actually look good. Not too hot. Lighter than flip flops. Definitely worth a try.

DOUSSPRT Men's Water Shoes Quick Drying
don't you get sweaty feet in these????

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I'd like some recommendations about where to find the most current and up to date information about albergues that are actually open. I'm currently walking the camino Frances, and I can't even...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
Today is March 21, 1024 If you’re starting El Francés around this time, be warned that quite a few stretches between Rabanal del Camino and Molinaseca are in pretty bad shape. Lots of mud, and...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.