• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Alternatives to Cizur Menor

Bouwmeester

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino de Francés SJPdP-PlR (July 2013)
I expect to walk through Pamplona on July 12th (during San Fermín) and thought of staying in one of the albergues in Cizur Menor that night. However, I'll probably not be the only pilgrim who chooses CM as an alternative to the crowds in Pamplona. So, just in case I'll get to Cizur Menor and everything turns out to be booked: what's the best way to go for a plan B?

Thanks in advance!

Tom

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Stay in Burlada (town prior) or even Villava. I suspect they will be just a crowded, though.

The following link lists dozens of places in Pamplona and nearby that offer lodging-- a lot of it homeowners who rent a room in their homes at good rates, etc... It is in Spanish, but you can manage :D
http://www.sanfermin.com/index.php/es/d ... cos/dormir

Buen Camino!

Tom,

You might continue to Zariquiegui and stay in this new place which is both private albergue and hostal. They also take reservations.
http://www.laposadadeardogi.com/

Or continue further up over the Alto de Perdon to Uterga for this private albergue and hostal. Here you can also reserve in advance. I have often stayed in their albergue and eaten in the restaurant. All was fine and the showers GREAT.
http://www.caminodelperdon.es/

Watch out for those bulls and Buen Camino!

Margaret Meredith

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
cizur is wonderfull try to get into the albergue run by the "mamma camino".she is famous ,she dressed my blisters and relaced my boots....3 minutes walk from state of the art swimming pool complex with great food..swim...sun tan and look up at padron in front of you!

Hi all, thanks for your advice! Really helpful. I've purchased Brierley's maps, but I don't want to cling onto his stages too much - although I don't think there's much of a difference during the first few days. The stage to Pamplona/Cizur Menor, however, is about 20 kms, so walking on for a few more kms should definitely be possible that day.

I'm a bit wary of pre-booking because I'd like to take things as they come (only have reservations in SJPdP and at Orisson). Would that be risky in villages like Zariquiegui, where there's just one private albergue with 10-20 beds?

Bouwmeester,

The worries that you cite unfortunately depend on what might be described as the luck of the draw.

You can only reserve a bunk in advance at private albergues or hostals. If you have a reservation you should be assured of a bed. Without a reservation it is first come first taken. However some of these places have or know of 'hidden' backups, Ie another floor or adjacent out-building. Often hospiteleros will call around to help find you another affordable space.

Thus finding a bunk in the busy season CAN be difficult. That's one reason I have always gone in autumn and winter. It may be cold but there are plenty of bunks!

By the way near Zariquiegui as well as close to Alto de Perdon and Uterga there is much open space. Perhaps ad hoc camping might be considered.

Good luck!,

Margaret Meredith

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
mspath said:
Bouwmeester,

The worries that you cite unfortunately depend on what might be described as the luck of the draw.

You can only reserve a bunk in advance at private albergues or hostals. If you have a reservation you should be assured of a bed. Without a reservation it is first come first taken. However some of these places have or know of 'hidden' backups, Ie another floor or adjacent out-building. Often hospiteleros will call around to help find you another affordable space.

Thus finding a bunk in the busy season CAN be difficult. That's one reason I have always gone in autumn and winter. It may be cold but there are plenty of bunks!

By the way near Zariquiegui as well as close to Alto de Perdon and Uterga there is much open space. Perhaps ad hoc camping might be considered.

Good luck!,

Margaret Meredith

Thanks again for your advice, Margaret. You're right about the luck of the draw - I'm aware that it's crowded in summer, but was most concerned about the part just after Pamplona because of all the festivities going on. However, I just realised that I might happen to find a bed in Cizur Menor quite easily while it could prove to be unexpectedly more difficult somewhere else along the Camino. That's probably all part of letting go, I think. As I've read on the forum various times, the Camino will provide :) (And ad hoc camping, if it should turn out to be the only option, probably just adds to the adventure!)

Re: All beds around Pomplona are booked out?

Hello.
During "San Fermin" in a radius of approx 40 km around Pamplona are booked out long time in advance!
And the prices for a bed (even in the shabbiest place) explode!
Buen Camino
Jochen

There is a bus service to Pamplona ... so if Cizur Menor is booked solid take the bus back into town for the night.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
whariwharangi said:
There is a bus service to Pamplona ... so if Cizur Menor is booked solid take the bus back into town for the night.
Quite a few people I knew ended up doing this. Cizur Menor seemed to fill up quite quickly, and hospitaleros were telling people about buses back to Pamplona.
Margaret

Between the two Albergues in Cizur Menor there is a grand total of 79 beds. I think that in mid- July, even without the San Fermin days, they are filled up pretty soon! Anne

Good information! I will begin my Camino July 13th in St Jean Pued-de-Port so I'll be going through this area during the Running of the Bulls also.
Burn Camino
Robin

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I can highly recommend the main albergue near the cathedral in Pamplona (Jesus Y Mary) and the little cafe across the road opens at six thirty am for the best 3€ breakfast.

Bouwmeester said:
I expect to walk through Pamplona on July 12th (during San Fermín) what's the best way to go for a plan B?
Hey Tom , Why not try the Albergue Trinidad de Arre just before Pamplona and make sure that you get there early - we have been speaking about this Albergue recently so much more info if you search the forum about this particular Albergue. :wink:

frasert said:
I can highly recommend the main albergue near the cathedral in Pamplona (Jesus Y Mary) and the little cafe across the road opens at six thirty am for the best 3€ breakfast.

Sorry to say, but the Albergues in Pamplona are CLOSED during the S. Fermin festivities! Anne

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
We are beginning to walk on 6 July and I was wondering what days in july exactly are affected by the San Fermin festival?

wgr said:
We are beginning to walk on 6 July and I was wondering what days in july exactly are affected by the San Fermin festival?

wgr,

The dates for 2013 are 6 - 14 July. See this web page for more info. >> http://www.sanfermintravelcentral.com/.

Margaret Meredith

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
mspath said:

He he - newspaper report .......'Unsuspecting pilgrim becomes overnight Matador Sensation! ?? :mrgreen:

Thank you all for the additional advice. Will try to get to Pamplona early in any case, and then see what's the best way to go. I noticed that some albergues are opened during San Fermín, such as Casa Paderborn - but indeed, most are not. Renshaw, are you sure Trinidad de Arre is also opened during the festivities?

I've contacted the private albergue in Zarequiegui a few days ago (changed my mind overnight and thought that booking in advance might be best for this particular situation), but didn't get a reply from them yet. As I've read elsewhere on this forum, they were supposed to open halfway April, but haven't done so (website hasn't been updated either). If that remains a question mark I'll stick to my original plan and take things as they come. There still are various possibilities, so I hope that one of them will work out.

Bouwmeester said:
Renshaw, are you sure Trinidad de Arre is also opened during the festivities?
Go to the HOME page , scroll down to Ivar's Camino Frances ' work in progress' and you will find phone numbers for most of the Albergues under each Albergue featured.

You will not be able to book though - doubt it?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Margaret thanks for ur link. It now concerns me slightly where four of us will get a bed in this area. Have no idea how far we will get each day but as we only have 11 days to walk this time we hope to make it to Roncesvalles the first day. I am taking from this forum that it will be very hot at this time also!

The bar and albergue in Zariquiegui is open, clean and modern, and has a bar and restaurant downstairs, and a pilgrim lounge with kitchen upstairs. It also has a computer and WiFi.

A bed is 11£ and dinner is another11€. I don't know if the albergue somewhat downhill is open.

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back