• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

altitude

Brendaparrish

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances july(2014)
am planning to begin my walk from st. jean on or about july 8th....very good physical shape but poor ability in altitude as i live at sea level.. where do you recommend to stay over to make journey more palatable...also i have reservations already in pamplona for two nights festivities for closing ceremonies for running the bulls 13 and 14th so need to arrive by 13th noon?
thanks for any information/suggestions
iamb

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
The highest point on the camino is 1500m. That's lower than the level aeroplane cabins are pressurised to, and shouldn't pose an issue to anyone with healthy lungs and heart. If you're not in that category, then speak to your doctor before starting.

I, too, live at sea level and didn't notice the altitude at all.

St Jean to pamplona is typically 3 days, or 4 is one splits the walk to Roncesvalles over two days. You have time.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I live at sea level as well. 1500m is just below 5000 ft elevation - I notice the difference at that elevation. I don't notice it when sitting in a plane, but then I am not hiking around in the plane :) I do notice the elevation when hiking - it isn't a big issue, but it is noticeable. I wouldn't be surprised to find myself slightly winded when hiking uphill the first day or so. If it is noticeable to you, just take it a little bit easier and make sure you drink enough water.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I have trouble at altitude also...a result of asthma. The only time I am reminded of having it is when I walk uphill. I just slow down, sometimes to just slightly faster than a crawl and make sure I have my “rescue inhaler", and I always make it. Sometimes I get downright cranky above 6,000ft. My friends just say “shut up Patty and keep hiking”:). Good thing I’m otherwise good natured. It takes me a long time to walk from SJPdP to Orrisson, but it is so worth the gasping!

Altitude is not the problem its the angle of ascent which may cause a problem. Coming out of SJPP is a long steep climb nothing hysteric but your first day out, excitement mixed with second thoughts, many new people to talk with, your equipment doesn't fit "just right" as yet, thoughts of blisters go through your head, the amazing scenery or the bad weather all making it difficult to hit your usual rythum and speed. colinPeter obviously didn't check the maps before leaving Castrojeriz - just like me! - the climb there is not difficult but is surprising if not forewarned, many words have been spilled by those concerned with the climb up to O'Cebreiro - if you have walked all the way from SJPP you won't even notice it!

Scruffy, that was my experience. People kept telling me about this terrible climb. Got to O'Cebreiro and was like, "That's it??"

Seriously, if 1500m is a problem for you, it might be worth taking the Valcarlis route out of St Jean, as it tops out lower. By the time you get to the iron cross, you'll be acclimatised.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Silly me! What goes up must come down - I have found that the descent from say Alto del Padron or from Rabanal towards Molinaseca on a wet or rainy day to be far more worrisome, slippery, and more then obliging to plop you on your sitting down place.- the very worst? The pits?? Those walks between the bollards to Carrion de los Condes, leaving Leon, or worse yet, tiptoeing along the security fences surrounding the airports of Burgos or sadly Santiago - all perfectly straight and boring to tears.

- the very worst? The pits?? Those walks between the bollards to Carrion de los Condes, leaving Leon, or worse yet, tiptoeing along the security fences surrounding the airports of Burgos or sadly Santiago - all perfectly straight and boring to tears.

You said it, Scruffy, boring to tears!

And somebody mentioned the rather long hill after Castrojeriz ... - There I had to make a constant deals with myself: how many steps to count out between huffing-and-puffing breaks ...

annelise

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Altitude is not the problem its the angle of ascent which may cause a problem. Coming out of SJPP is a long steep climb nothing hysteric but your first day out, excitement mixed with second thoughts, many new people to talk with, your equipment doesn't fit "just right" as yet, thoughts of blisters go through your head, the amazing scenery or the bad weather all making it difficult to hit your usual rythum and speed. colinPeter obviously didn't check the maps before leaving Castrojeriz - just like me! - the climb there is not difficult but is surprising if not forewarned, many words have been spilled by those concerned with the climb up to O'Cebreiro - if you have walked all the way from SJPP you won't even notice it!

You got that right!! Out of the gate and straight uphill! At least it feels straight up.

According to our wonderful National Health Service even mild Altitude Sickness doesn't begin to kick in until 2,500m anyway.

A person can be affected by altitude without having Altitude Sickness. That is a specific syndrome, but doesn't encompass any and all effects of altitude.

Whether you have challenges with the elevation change or not, I highly recommend taking the first day relatively easy and stopping for your first night at Orisson. It's located a very steep 8 kms from SJPP and the experience will likely be one of the most memorable on your Camino.

Advanced reservations are highly recommended, and be sure to confirm a week before your arrival via email, and the day before from the Pilgrim's Office in SJPP, or they will give away your bed (even if you have paid in advance). Here is the website for Orisson: http://www.refuge-orisson.com/en/

Then, just take it slowly and stop regularly to enjoy the - literally - breathtaking views.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
am planning to begin my walk from st. jean on or about july 8th....very good physical shape but poor ability in altitude as i live at sea level.. where do you recommend to stay over to make journey more palatable...also i have reservations already in pamplona for two nights festivities for closing ceremonies for running the bulls 13 and 14th so need to arrive by 13th noon?
thanks for any information/suggestions
iamb

Have you ever thought of starting a few days before STJPDD.
There are* beautiful towns , on The Le Puy camino , GR65 , easily reached from Biarritz.
We found starting there was advantageous.
These towns are *Navarrenx, *St Palais , Aroue and/or Ostabat.
Max of 4 days . By the time you arrive @ STJ going over the top is very doable or if not sure get them to transport the luggage to Baguette 5km after Roncesvallles.
You have not lost much time as most stay in Orrisson and Roncesvalles.
We found staying the evening @ Ostabat allowed us to arrive in St.JPDD well before lunch time giving us a big day there.

I think the hill out of Castrojeriz is well below 1500mm and I'm more than slightly puffed on that one. LOL
Buen Camino
Colin
That hill out if Castrojeriz took me by surprise too the first time. I had completely missed it on the Euroski site, which is what we often use for further information. I find it a beast of a hill, mainly due to the fact that there is no shade the whole way up. Climbing up to La Faba and hence to O'Cebreiro is, at least for me a pleasant walk up a lovely mule path! There's plenty of opportunity to sit on a stone wall ( in the shade) and watch all the other Pilgrims going by.
The last time we walked out of Castrojeriz, we started before dawn, so as to get part way up in part darkness ( like that, we didn't have to look at that boring, steep climbing road. Anne

Last edited:
Hola Anne
That hill out if Castrojeriz ....Climbing up to La Faba....
Yes I agree, the two are like "chalk & cheese".
The first time up the hill out if Castrojeriz, there was a woman in front of me walking "backwards" (ie in reverse) the whole way, I had never seen that before. However, I've since read it puts less strain on your knee joints.
Still I must look a bit funny traversing up hills, on some stages.
Buen Camino
Colin

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Finally up on the plateau after the climb up from Castrojeriz: I started very early... To the OP: Height is not an issue, really.

DSCN0011.JPG

There are obviously lots of bigger climbs than the hill after Castrojeriz. But... it looks so harmless as you approach it <see attachment>. You don't really expect it to be a big deal. It took me 25-30 minutes to drag myself up there. While I was doing it, this guy blew by me. I mean, not being in very good shape, lots of people passed me on hills. But this guy was taking very long strides and he was taking them fast. Anyway, eventually you get to the top and you can look back on Castrojeriz <see 2nd attachment>. And you walk a little further, and can see sweeping plains as far as the eye can see.

Re: original post. The vast majority of the walking is done between 450-800 metres. There are only a handful of days where you even get above 1000m. If you are in good shape, even on the days where you get to 1300 metres plus, it is unlikely you will notice any impact at all from the very slightly diminished oxygen supply.

Attachments

• P1140463.jpg
    P1140463.jpg
    157.9 KB · Views: 18
  • P1140465.JPG
    P1140465.JPG
    3.1 MB · Views: 18
  • P1140474.JPG
    P1140474.JPG
    3.5 MB · Views: 17

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.