• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Altitude

Urban Trekker

Happy Trails
Time of past OR future Camino
English Camino (2013)
Portuguese Camino (2014)
French Camino (2016)
Way of Saint Francis April 2017
Can anyone tell me the max altitude of the alternate route out of St Jean To Roncesvalles.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Can anyone tell me the max altitude of the alternate route out of St Jean To Roncesvalles.

The maximum altitude of the road route from St Jean to Roncesvalles via Arneguy and Valcarlos is 1,055 metres above sea level. That's at Ibaneta about a kilometre before Roncesvalles, which is situated at 950 metres. The maximum altitude of the Route Napoleon is 1,450 metres, at Col de Lepoeder.

So both routes are long climbs.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
So both routes are long climbs.

Yes that's right. On the Route Napoleon you start at 170 metres and have to climb up to Col de Lepoeder and then descend to Roncesvalles. The road route takes 16km to reach 400 metres, and from there it's a 650 metre climb over an 8km stretch to Ibaneta.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi,
I can see you have had your question answered. Just thought you might want to be aware of this profile document if you were not already onto it.

https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...ps-of-all-34-stages-of-the-camino-frances.12/

Buen Camino
John,
Some of us find those profile maps to be helpful, while others (who don't understand the skewing of the horizontal/vertical scales) find them very intimidating, if not downright frightening. If you stretch the 21 km from SJPdP to Col de Lopoeder on a graph of equal horizontal and vertical units, it would look like a stroll in the park -- which of course we all know it isn't. But it's not like the Mt Everest in the profile either. ;)

John,
Some of us find those profile maps to be helpful, while others (who don't understand the skewing of the horizontal/vertical scales) find them very intimidating, if not downright frightening. If you stretch the 21 km from SJPdP to Col de Lopoeder on a graph of equal horizontal and vertical units, it would look like a stroll in the park -- which of course we all know it isn't. But it's not like the Mt Everest in the profile either. ;)

Fair point. See what you mean:)
Buen Camino

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.