• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Alto del Perdon

Alex M

Time of past OR future Camino
Plan for 2017 - Sarria to Santiago
I noticed before taking the downhill path that there was a pedestrian option on the left and a cycle option on the right. I took the former. Has any pedestrian taken the cycle option? I'd like to pass any thoughts on this to friends who at doing Camino shortly. Kindly resist the temptation of making comments like: "What? You can't be serious! I waltzed down that in my sleep" etc. Thanks.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I'm not sure what your asking, the mount of forgiveness is my favourite part of the Francè and I've taken both paths on the descent and both are reasonably steep but can be easily negotiated on a mountain bike or if too hairy it doesn't take long to walk with bike. Its my understanding that theres also a public road that leads from motorway which might be another option.Btw, I tumbled down it in my sleep but found forgiveness in my life 🤠

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I didn't waltze down it but I certainly didn't have any particular difficulty and I still wonder why so many people think that it is difficult.

I picked my path so as to avoid the biggest rocks, sometimes taking the narrower side shortcuts but other than that did not take any specific care.

I didn't notice two paths so I can't say which one I took. One cyclist did pass me going down but there were also lots of other walkers, most of whom were walking much slower than I and so I passed them.

In NZ we encounter "scree" quite often in the mountains and so perhaps I am just more used to walking in those conditions. I put my feet down heel first and this does seem to help me.

The people I passed seemed, to me, to be trying too hard to avoid the stones and that made it more complicated and difficult for them whereas I just stepped into the stones.

Not sure if this helps or not?

Last edited:
The rocky descent to Uterga is brutal! During our camino last fall, no doubt this contributed to my four black toes and I eventually lost all four toenails. Great to know that there is an option to just walk a roadway to Uterga! We will likely try this during our camino this fall.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I’ve walked down the hill more times than I can count with no problems at all. I just watch where I put my feet. Its not hard to miss rocks and find stable footing if you are slow and cautious. It’s not a particularly long descent and the entire trail is not rocky. I certainly wouldn’t call it ‘scree.’ You CAN take a taxi down, which is often waiting.

I’ve never worn boots on the Camino. I wear New Balance trail runners every year.

Last edited:
Hubby and I took this path down and we were wearing our hiking boots that we wear when we backpack the Sierras of California. If I would have worn regular sneakers, then there would have been no way to make it down safely. It's not that it's steep, it's your footing that you have to be careful with. There are many rocks, but it's do-able if you take your time since you got nothing but time. Otherwise, if you want to prevent from getting any injuries, then yes, by all means, take a different path - never forget, it's your Camino and you ultimately have to decide for yourself. There's no shame in not taking this path because the French Camino is not the original Camino and many of the French way has been re-routed to take paths through small towns for tourism. I love the Camino and I'm planning on going again in May, God willing if the coronavirus doesn't shut it down. Take care and Buen Camino.

I’ve walked down the hill more times than I can count with no problems at all. I just watch where I put my feet. Its not hard to miss rocks and find stable footing if you are slow and cautious. It’s not a particularly long descent and the entire trail is not rocky. I certainly wouldn’t call it ‘scree.’ You CAN take a taxi down, which is often waiting.

I’ve never worn boots on the Camino. I wear New Balance trail runners every year.
Which NB due you wear? I did my first CF in 2014 and wore the Ultra 910's. They don't make them anymore.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I noticed before taking the downhill path that there was a pedestrian option on the left and a cycle option on the right. I took the former. Has any pedestrian taken the cycle option? I'd like to pass any thoughts on this to friends who at doing Camino shortly. Kindly resist the temptation of making comments like: "What? You can't be serious! I waltzed down that in my sleep" etc. Thanks.
I realize that in the end I can always get to my destination more quickly by taking the paved route, as it's usually not that much longer than the footpath. So next time I'll be taking the road, thank you.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I walked down the footpath in Hoka trail runners last year around this time, and no walking poles. It required all my concentration but was not particularly difficult, nor did I feel myself to be in any danger. Conditions were dry, which I am sure helps. At the time I was very ill, though i didn't realize quite how ill I was until later. I'm in my fifties and not especially fit, nor was I used to any sort of hiking. And it was my first day.

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back