• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Alto Gallego

LesBrass

Likes Walking
Time of past OR future Camino
yes...
We decided to spend the weekend in the mountains before heading home... And can you believe we stumbled upon yet another camino... A quick search tells me a forum member walked this route in 2015 (Alto Gallego)... Looks glorious 😂

It seems to join the Aragones at Jaca16271546132136.jpg16271546131273.jpg16271546133702.jpg16271546133511.jpg16271546128300.jpg16271546132517.jpg

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
A selection of Camino Jewellery
I walked it in June 2014, the Spanish side being the opposite of the French side and the Voie Ossau, which was a narrow dark valley. The Pyrenees from the Med to the Atlantic has many crossing points of the way of St James, hopefully I get a chance to do one or two more

Attachments

• IMG_20140619_101705428.jpg
    IMG_20140619_101705428.jpg
    812.2 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_20140619_104953996.jpg
    IMG_20140619_104953996.jpg
    566.6 KB · Views: 4
I walked it in June 2014, the Spanish side being the opposite of the French side and the Voie Ossau, which was a narrow dark valley. The Pyrenees from the Med to the Atlantic has many crossing points of the way of St James, hopefully I get a chance to do one or two more
I thought you had! I was quiet happy to Isca being represented :) The second photo was taken not too far from our hotel in Lanuza... I would imagine the Spanish side was quite amazing! We drove home today via Formigal and I miss those mountains already.

We drove this way in February 2018 and it was the scariest journey we've ever made! We had no idea there would be so much snow... which sounds crazy now but we saw no signs warning us of the conditions and we assumed it would be a major transit road - open unless otherwise advised. We talked about that drive today... Gerry said that for a several miles every time he touched the brakes absolutely nothing happened.... we've never been more happy to get down to a valley floor!

it looked very different today! This was Feb 2018... the first photo was not far from Formigal, it didn't look so bad and didn't prepare us for what was to come! It looked lovely today for hiking. Does the route follow the road? The second photo was how high the snow was to the car as we made our way across!

snow1.jpg

snow3.jpg

I walked to the last village on the French side at 1000 meters, Gabas, then was due to go over the next day at Col du Midi on the way that leads to Somport, but over dinner that evening in Gabas I was talking to the high altitude walkers who had come down for the evening, they said the higher levels had lots of melt water, I was wearing lowish mids and they had proper walking boots, they advised against going up there, which actually was a relief, going up the Ossau valley in the later stages towards Gabas had been very demanding and was testing my comfort zone all the way. So the next day I got a taxi over to Sallent du Gallego and resumed the Camino from there. Two things I learnt in that incredibly scenic taxi drive 1) If I had walked that day I would have had a much easier day than the previous one, I had broke the back of the ascents and would have had only a little way to go to easier higher level pastures 2) The Portulate way is made for people like me who don't want an Indiana Jones type adventure in the Pyrenees, there is places to stop and eat at various points and places to stay as well.
+ I m sure from the South Africans account who walked it in winter 2015, the Camino doesn't wander too far from the road.
Buen Camino

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

I walked to the last village on the French side at 1000 meters, Gabas, then was due to go over the next day at Col du Midi on the way that leads to Somport, but over dinner that evening in Gabas I was talking to the high altitude walkers who had come down for the evening, they said the higher levels had lots of melt water, I was wearing lowish mids and they had proper walking boots, they advised against going up there, which actually was a relief, going up the Ossau valley in the later stages towards Gabas had been very demanding and was testing my comfort zone all the way. So the next day I got a taxi over to Sallent du Gallego and resumed the Camino from there. Two things I learnt in that incredibly scenic taxi drive 1) If I had walked that day I would have had a much easier day than the previous one, I had broke the back of the ascents and would have had only a little way to go to easier higher level pastures 2) The Portulate way is made for people like me who don't want an Indiana Jones type adventure in the Pyrenees, there is places to stop and eat at various points and places to stay as well.
+ I m sure from the South Africans account who walked it in winter 2015, the Camino doesn't wander too far from the road.
Buen Camino

That was how we felt driving down... it really does look lovely after the wooded section on the French side... interesting! Perhaps it's best to start at Portulate (thanks for the info)

There used to be a website for Pyrenean Caminos. Two old ( fit as a fiddle) blokes used to walk the various routes, and then post incredibly detailed information. What I did notice was a route from Lourdes that may have branched in the higher altitudes and one way may have come over to Sallent do Gallego, so there is a few options even for Alto do Gallego.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back