• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Altra Lone Peak 4 Trail-Running Shoes?

FourSeasons

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
2013, 2016, 2019, 2024
Hi, does Anyone have any experience on the Altra Lone Peak 4 on a Camino 500 miles? I've heard they don't have enough cushion due to their lightweight feature? They have great traction and are lightweight but are they enough? Thanks so much for any clarity you can throw my way, as I'm struggling with my shoe choice.

:cool:👣

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I'm the recent owner of a pair but I haven't walked a camino in them yet. However, taking into account they are the shoe of choice for those hiking the Pacific Crest Trail at 2750 miles from the Mexican border to Canada across deserts and mountain ranges with much heavy packs than anyone should have on a Camino, I'm pretty confidant they will do well on my next adventures.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I'm the recent owner of a pair but I haven't walked a camino in them yet. However, taking into account they are the shoe of choice for those hiking the Pacific Crest Trail at 2750 miles from the Mexican border to Canada across deserts and mountain ranges with much heavy packs than anyone should have on a Camino, I'm pretty confidant they will do well on my next adventures.
Thanks. Yes, I saw someone pictured who was wearing them on the CDT. But I wasn’t able to get feedback. I wish you happy adventures.
😎👣

They worked very well for me last year, SJPdP to SdC plus Muxia / Fisterra. In terms of cushioning I recommend gel inserts to replace the foam originals. Buen Camino.
Awesome, this is good to know but leaves the question. Which gel inserts? 😁 There are so many, any suggestions? Also did you have to replace them? If so, how many times?
😎👣

I have worn silicone orthotics in my shoes for years of caminos now. But when I changed from hiking shoe (my trusty Salomons) to Lone Peaks, the improvement in the cushioning was incredible. So that must mean that the cushioning on the Lone Peaks is good even without the orthotics. I am not a hard core hiker or a super athlete, but found that last year on the Mozárabe I was able to walk a 38-40 km day and arrive at my destination with no aching feet, and not wanting to scram “get these shoes off my feet!” So I think you will find the cushioning is great.

Buen camino, Laurie

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
It's the usual answer, everyone is different. I comfortably walk in light runners or Teva sandals, other people need more cushioning or support. Think about the shoes you normally wear, if you are comfortable in thin-soled, light shoes, then light runners or trail shoes will probably be good. if you prefer cushioned shoes, maybe not. Bear in mind to that you could put a different footbed into most shoes which could give a little more protection or cushioning.

I think it’s important to distinguish cushioning from support. Trail runners definitely have more cushioning than hiking shoes or boots. They may have less support, though I am not really sure what kind of support people are talking about. Holding the foot in place, arch support, something else? I do need arch support and I love the cushioning of the trail runners, so putting my silicone orthotic in the trail runner seems to give me the best result in terms of support and cushioning.

Hi, does Anyone have any experience on the Altra Lone Peak 4 on a Camino 500 miles? I've heard they don't have enough cushion due to their lightweight feature? They have great traction and are lightweight but are they enough? Thanks so much for any clarity you can throw my way, as I'm struggling with my shoe choice.

I am training in my new Altra Lone Peak 4 shoes. I am very happy with them because of the wide toe box, no more squashed toes and corns. I bought a pair of gel heel inserts, on the recommendation of the shop assistant, but haven't used them yet.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Just finished the Portugues Coastal route in the Lone Peak Altra's. No blisters until the day we had lots of down hills. The wide toebox allowed my feet to slide forward and I got blisters on the ends of 2 toes. Only ones I got during the Csmino. Otherwise they were good. I would recommend cinching them tight during downhill
days.

Don't worry about what other people wear on their feet. It is a very personal choice depending on the shape of your feet. I personally am of the traditional ilk and still wear light weight walking boots. But they have always suited my feet, not a blister in over ten years, goodness knows what I would do if they ever stopped making that particular brand. But I would never recommend them to anyone else. Good luck, I hope you find your perfect pair of runners/shoes/boots that fit your feet as well.😊

Don't worry about what other people wear on their feet. It is a very personal choice depending on the shape of your feet. I personally am of the traditional ilk and still wear light weight walking boots. But they have always suited my feet, not a blister in over ten years, goodness knows what I would do if they ever stopped making that particular brand. But I would never recommend them to anyone else. Good luck, I hope you find your perfect pair of runners/shoes/boots that fit your feet as well.😊
I appreciate your well wishes however, I'm not worried about what others wear on their feet. I was asking opinions from those who have experience with a particular shoe. A shoe I have already purchased and am training with. How did you get "worried" out of my original post? And why wouldn't you recommend a shoe that works for you to someone who is seeking for advice? Like finding that perfect camping spot but keeping it a secret so you can enjoy it all to yourself. ;)

Thanks again for your reply.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

I walked the CF in 2017 on a pair of Lone Peak 2.5. I an 6'6" and 250 lbs so I really gave them a workout. About 1/2 way through I added a sole insert since I had pretty much flattened the original inserts.

Hello, did SJPDP to Finisterre in June/July 2018 in stock Lone Peak 3.0. Loved them, and only one small blister. Toe socks!

If you're looking or are concerned about cushioning, the Altra Timp 1.5 has more cushioning than the Lone Peak 4 does. Both are a wide toe-box Zero drop shoe. I walked the Frances in Saucony Peregrine trail runners because it was the widest toe box I could find in 2016. I went to the Altra's this Spring for backpacking and am loving them. I would think either can do a Camino Frances if they fit you properly. Get at least a half size bigger than normal of course and wear extra socks until your feet swell up.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I appreciate your well wishes however, I'm not worried about what others wear on their feet. I was asking opinions from those who have experience with a particular shoe. A shoe I have already purchased and am training with. How did you get "worried" out of my original post? And why wouldn't you recommend a shoe that works for you to someone who is seeking for advice? Like finding that perfect camping spot but keeping it a secret so you can enjoy it all to yourself. ;)

Thanks again for your reply.
Sorry you've taken my genuine reply in such an ungracious manner. With best wishes

Sorry you've taken my genuine reply in such an ungracious manner. With best wishes
Not ungracious at all. :confused:
First you said I was worried now you say I'm ungracious. I guess I don't read that much into it. Sorry you feel offended by my reply and my genuine questions. I hope you're not offended by my attempt at humor in my camping spot comment..............It was meant to be funny.😁🤣

Not ungracious at all. :confused:
First you said I was worried now you say I'm ungracious. I guess I don't read that much into it. Sorry you feel offended by my reply and my genuine questions. I hope you're not offended by my attempt at humor in my camping spot comment..............It was meant to be funny.😁🤣

Oh well obviously we don't understand one another, we've both read the wrong things into our questions and answers. All the best in your shoe hunting, hope you find the best to suit your feet.😊🙃

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi FourSeasons,
Sticking to your original query, I use Dr Scholl "Work" gel inserts. They maintain the zero drop profile of the Altras and still provide improved shock absorption (I am tall and quite heavy). They also seem to dissipate heat better which is important for comfort and blister prevention. I did not change mine over the course of last year's 900km walk, however I suspect they were getting a little "tired" by the end. Once again, Buen Camino.

I bought a pair of Altras a couple of months ago and I am absolutely smitten with them! Comfortable from the momemt I put them on, like walking on a deep pile rug.
I have worn them pretty much continuously and I'm thinking I might have to buy another pair by the time I set off for my Caminho this summer.
I, too, am considering some inserts and like the idea of maintaining the zero drop. So, anyways, that's my 2c's.

I have just returned from walking Leon-Santiago then Palas de Rei-Santiago in the Altra Lone Peak 4 with Injinji toe socks. I encountered all different sorts of weather - 4 days of driving rain and 2 days of snow. Walked some short 15km days, and some long 34, 42km days.

LOVE LOVE LOVE the LPs. Super comfortable, grip was exceptional. Lightweight. No blisters, nor even hints of blisters.

I wouldn't hesitate to wear them for 800kms. My LPs don't look or feel any different now than they did on day 1.

For reference, i wore Altra Timps on the Camino Portuguese last year - i found the grip on the LPs immeasurably better but the extra cushioning on the Timps was noticeable.

Another reason I love my Altras - on my first Camino in 2016 i wore Salomon Speedcross 4. Along the Camino, my knees got wrecked. Second Camino in 2017, in Salomons, same thing.

Third Camino in 2018 I switched to Altras, bc of the zero-drop and wide toe box. My knee felt SO much better! Fourth Camino in 2019 - no knee problems whatsoever!! I feel like the Altras are my holy grail. And with the grip of the LPs...

I hope you love your Altras just as much!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I have just returned from walking Leon-Santiago then Palas de Rei-Santiago in the Altra Lone Peak 4 with Injinji toe socks. I encountered all different sorts of weather - 4 days of driving rain and 2 days of snow. Walked some short 15km days, and some long 34, 42km days.

LOVE LOVE LOVE the LPs. Super comfortable, grip was exceptional. Lightweight. No blisters, nor even hints of blisters.

I wouldn't hesitate to wear them for 800kms. My LPs don't look or feel any different now than they did on day 1.

For reference, i wore Altra Timps on the Camino Portuguese last year - i found the grip on the LPs immeasurably better but the extra cushioning on the Timps was noticeable.

Another reason I love my Altras - on my first Camino in 2016 i wore Salomon Speedcross 4. Along the Camino, my knees got wrecked. Second Camino in 2017, in Salomons, same thing.

Third Camino in 2018 I switched to Altras, bc of the zero-drop and wide toe box. My knee felt SO much better! Fourth Camino in 2019 - no knee problems whatsoever!! I feel like the Altras are my holy grail. And with the grip of the LPs...

I hope you love your Altras just as much!

It may be time for us to form an “Altra Lovers Club”, much like I started the Electric Coil Club years ago. :)

Maybe I am so much more enthusiastic and enthralled because it took me 18 years of walking caminos in hiking boots and hiking shoes to find them.

Buen camino, Laurie

I wore the Lone Peak last year, and agree that there should be more cushion. They started to break down after days of wet weather, but not terribly. They got me through the Primitivo, but just barely. I have switched to the Olympus which has great cushion, or one of the Hoka trail shoes. You might want to look at those.

I just finished the Camino Português coastal route with them. No blisters, no soreness. I then went to southern Spain and hiked a section of the Camino Mozárabe into Granada and climbed Pico Mijas. They were great in the steep and rocky terrain. I highly recommend this shoe for the Camino.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I wore the Lone Peaks on the Portuguese coastal route last year and wished I had chosen a different Altra with more support. I have a Mortons neuroma and so the wide toe box etc worked perfectly but they needed more support.

[/QUOTE]
If you want Altras, strongly consider the Olympus trail runners. These were actually prescribed for me by my podiatrist.

Prescribed for what condition? You don't say why the poster should " strongly consider the Olympus trail runners". Is this supposed to be helpful?

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

I bought the Altra Lone Peak 4 and they were perfect from the very first day of my get-in-shape routine. I have had no blisters or hot spots. I am sure that there are other shoes with more cushioning and support, but for me, these are perfect. I can slightly feel the road or path surface through the shoe, but do not feel pointed rock nearly well enough to bruise my foot. Also, I have not yet come close to turning my ankle; they feel stable. I am walking 11 km per day in anticipation of June 1 SJPdP start.

Of course, the wide toe box is a wonderful thing for those with wide feet.

It may be time for us to form an “Altra Lovers Club”, much like I started the Electric Coil Club years ago. :)

I would definitely join that club -- for the Lone Peak 3s. They have been fabulous. I love them! But, I have a very high arch and find the Lone Peak 4s a bit tight across the top. So the next pair are proving to be a challenge. I wish manufacturers would leave well enough alone!

Prescribed for what condition? You don't say why the poster should " strongly consider the Olympus trail runners". Is this supposed to be helpful?
[/QUOTE]
Yes, I'm trying to be helpful. Are you? They were prescribed for plantar fasciitis. Does it really matter? Why can't I recommend a particular model of Altras? Do you have some reason to not want people to recommend the Olympus?

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
The only possible answer to shoe queries is "whatever fits and works for you". What works for one person may be a disaster for someone else. I've just been chatting with the Altra people and while the front of the shoe is wide, they say that the heel on the women's fit is quite narrow so they will be useless for me because I have thickened Achilles tendons from repeated inflammation - until I worked out what was setting it off. having said that Altra shoes seem to work very well for a lot of people so they are well worth considering.

I dislike heavily padded shoes and I'm happy to walk in Teva sandals over almost any ground but my partner has narrow, bony feet and prefers much softer shoes.

[/QUOTE]
I really don't need to know why Re-Tired's doctor prescribes one shoe over another, that is not relevant to my question. That is Re-Tired's personal business. Perhaps you should let me decide if Re-Tired's comment was helpful or not. I don't know what you were trying to gain by your comment to him/her other then irritation. Your comment to him/her was not helpful to my question. I am okay with Re-Tired's comment

However, I do appreciate your comment that followed and stayed on subject. Thank you for the info.

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
The only possible answer to shoe queries is "whatever fits and works for you". What works for one person may be a disaster for someone else. I've just been chatting with the Altra people and while the front of the shoe is wide, they say that the heel on the women's fit is quite narrow so they will be useless for me because I have thickened Achilles tendons from repeated inflammation - until I worked out what was setting it off. having said that Altra shoes seem to work very well for a lot of people so they are well worth considering.

I dislike heavily padded shoes and I'm happy to walk in Teva sandals over almost any ground but my partner has narrow, bony feet and prefers much softer shoes.

There are plenty of possible answers to my question. I have tested several different brands and as my post says, I am looking for opinions. It's like taking a poll. Even you offer up your opinion regarding the Altra and how it won't work for you but your feet like Teva. You give me something to consider.:)

I take all the advise and opinions offered here because I asked for them. This forum is great that way. I will continue to test and use products suggested until my feet sing.

Thanks again for participating by providing me with your answer.

Last edited:
They were prescribed for plantar fasciitis. Does it really matter? ... [/QUOTE said:
Sorry to be a bother, but yes, I do think it matters. When something is prescribed by a doctor and you suggest it to someone else, it seems common sense to me that you would give some hint about what it is prescribed for.

But good to (finally) know why these shoes were prescribed for you. I have a pair, purchased because of the large toe box and I love them. But in the past, I have had trouble with plantar fasciitis, so good to know that I made a double good decision.

I walked in my Altras LP last year. Love them, perfect for wide feet with narrow hill. I still get blisters on my toes after 10-15km unless I use silicone sleeves, what i did - no problem at all. And yes, after a few days the sorest part of my body were my lower ankles and hills, so next time I plan to try some gel inserts, hope it helps. Though not 100% sure if it was Altra's lack of cushioning or just a normal result of everyday walking.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I walked Francis (2017) in the Hoka Challenger 3 and was so very grateful for that decision.

I have walked 3 casinos, two in Lone Peaks and one in Timp 2.... my experience in all of the shoes was excellent. Definitely sore feet at the end of 30+ km days, but that was true of my friends and family who walked that distance in other kinds of shoes as well. I managed my last camino (Norte and Primitivo, 800+ km) without a single blister in the Altras. Obviously, everyone's foot is different so the shape of shoe and amount of stack will behave differently for different people. I really like the ground feel, especially when crossing areas with cobble stones, roots, etc. I will be walking again this coming fall and plan to walk in either the Lone Peak 6 or the Timp 4. I might even bring them both!

I slide a thin, hard, arch support insole underneath the supplied Altra insole.
The hard nature of the arch support insole acts as a rock plate while it's thin nature minimises problems with fit.
IMO arch support is very important, especially for those new to longer distance walking.
Regards
Gerard

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I walked in my Altras LP last year. Love them, perfect for wide feet with narrow hill. I still get blisters on my toes after 10-15km unless I use silicone sleeves, what i did - no problem at all. And yes, after a few days the sorest part of my body were my lower ankles and hills, so next time I plan to try some gel inserts, hope it helps. Though not 100% sure if it was Altra's lack of cushioning or just a normal result of everyday walking.
Suggest you try gel inserts and toe socks with the Lone Peaks. Works for me. Using hiking sticks also helps. Buen Camino. 🚶‍♂️

Most read last week in this forum

Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...
With this device, you can pack everything you might want (including your fears) irrespective of weight.
Hi there! I was on the fence about poles bc I've never used them and as mentioned previously, brand new to hiking. But because I'm in treatment for breast cancer and as such have a decent amount...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.