• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Altra Mont Blanc Shoes

Linda P

Camino Frances Sept/Oct 2022
Time of past OR future Camino
Camino de Frances (2022)
I will be walking the Camino Frances in September. I am a long time Altra customer and love their shoes, primarily Lone Peaks, but also their Timps. I had already decided on Altra Lone Peaks for the Camino.

However, Altra has recently begun selling a new shoe - the Mont Blanc. They call it the ultimate long distance trail shoe. Their description: This trail cruiser is made for your all-day excursions. High-cushion and lightweight equipped with ultimate trail features for traction on any terrain. I had to try them.

i have been walking in them for over a week. They are a very different shoe than the Lone Peak and Timps, although they all share the wide toe base which I require and love. They have the most cushion and are extremely light. I am now leaning toward the Mont Blanc being my Camino shoe.

Just wondering if anyone else has tried them yet and what you think? I know we’re all different and what works for one doesn’t work for all. But shoes are so often discussed here, I thought I would share.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
A few months ago I switched from the Lone Peaks (which I still love) to the Olympus (which I like but am still getting used to) for my upcoming Camino in six weeks (!) - and now here come the Mont Blancs to pique my interest 🧐 Have you tried them versus the Olympuses? They look like they fall between the Lone Peaks and Olympuses in terms of cushioning but are two ounces lighter per shoe than the latter and look more breathable too (which is my main issue with the otherwise ideal Olympuses), so now I'm curious ...

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
A few months ago I switched from the Lone Peaks (which I still love) to the Olympus (which I like but am still getting used to) for my upcoming Camino in six weeks (!) - and now here come the Mont Blancs to pique my interest 🧐 Have you tried them versus the Olympuses? They look like they fall between the Lone Peaks and Olympuses in terms of cushioning but are two ounces lighter per shoe than the latter and look more breathable too (which is my main issue with the otherwise ideal Olympuses), so now I'm curious ...
I have not tried the Olympus, so can’t compare. Can only say the Mont Blanc is a very different material from the Lone Peak and Timp, very cushioned and extremely light. So far, so good for me!
And I still love Lone Peaks also!!

I cringed some at the price too, but then thought my feet are worth the best … and sometimes we have to spend money to know what’s best for us!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I will be walking the Camino Frances in September. I am a long time Altra customer and love their shoes, primarily Lone Peaks, but also their Timps. I had already decided on Altra Lone Peaks for the Camino.

However, Altra has recently begun selling a new shoe - the Mont Blanc. They call it the ultimate long distance trail shoe. Their description: This trail cruiser is made for your all-day excursions. High-cushion and lightweight equipped with ultimate trail features for traction on any terrain. I had to try them.

i have been walking in them for over a week. They are a very different shoe than the Lone Peak and Timps, although they all share the wide toe base which I require and love. They have the most cushion and are extremely light. I am now leaning toward the Mont Blanc being my Camino shoe.

Just wondering if anyone else has tried them yet and what you think? I know we’re all different and what works for one doesn’t work for all. But shoes are so often discussed here, I thought I would share.
As another Altra user (and a fan of Lone Peaks) I look forward to checking out the Mont Blanc. I use Altra almost exclusively for my every day hiking / walking and have always reverted to Keen (they're are wide enough for my wide foot) for my camino ventures. Thanks for the heads up!

Currently training in Timp 3 having previously wore both olympus and king mt with the intention of wearing lone peak all-wthr next month. I use Timp for training because I am limited to lots of pavement walking. Leaving St Jean my current concern is regarding durability, will I get 1000 kms out of line peak? I have walked 800 kms in the Timp which are showing signs of significant wear to the soles. I now only intended to wear to lone peaks for less than 200 kms before arriving in St Jean. Those who have used lone peaks previously, how many kms of walking did you get from a pair?

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Oooooh uh oh I hadn't heard of these! Looks like I'll be saying goodbye to some more money.

How does the toe box width compare to the standard width LPs? Is it the same? I find Olympus, for example, not quite as wide as the Lone Peaks, and I also really need that width when carrying a pack (so my pinkie toes don't get squished!)!

Oooooh uh oh I hadn't heard of these! Looks like I'll be saying goodbye to some more money.

How does the toe box width compare to the standard width LPs? Is it the same? I find Olympus, for example, not quite as wide as the Lone Peaks, and I also really need that width when carrying a pack (so my pinkie toes don't get squished!)!
Toe box very comparable to Lone Peaks, so shouldn’t be any issue there.
As I said in my original post, these shoes are quite different than Lone Peaks and Timps, in both material and design. Been reading that some people are complaining of heel slippage or heel rubbing. The heel base does feel different and I did experience that the first time I wore them. So I tightened the laces a little and threw away the old socks I was wearing 😂 and haven’t had any issues since. Just walked 9 miles this morning on pavement and my feet felt great, so I’m a believer!!

Currently training in Timp 3 having previously wore both olympus and king mt with the intention of wearing lone peak all-wthr next month. I use Timp for training because I am limited to lots of pavement walking. Leaving St Jean my current concern is regarding durability, will I get 1000 kms out of line peak? I have walked 800 kms in the Timp which are showing signs of significant wear to the soles. I now only intended to wear to lone peaks for less than 200 kms before arriving in St Jean. Those who have used lone peaks previously, how many kms of walking did you get from a pair?
I am trying the 6s at the present and they are wearing very well after about 250km. No signs of wear really. I walked the Frances in one pair in the LP4s and that was completely fine but I remember they weren’t very spongy in the last 200 kms

I am watching the Mont Blanc very closely having discarded the Olympus as an option, but I only have a few weeks left to test.

They certainly are expensive - but when it comes to the right footwear..
However, if you want to feel like you're getting a bargain compare them to the Altra X Reigning Champ Olympus 4!

I wonder if anyone has any information on the comparisions between the Mont Blanc and the various Hoka lines. Especially the Hoka Bondi 7. I am asking in terms of cushioning and support. The price for both seems to be the same here in Canada.

I am peering at the screen of my lap top over the rim of a glass of Guinness. Happy Saint Patrick's day.

My only concern on the Mont Blancs would be durability. They’re made specifically for a high speed, high intensity 100 km race. Please keep us updated on how they wear!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I wonder if anyone has any information on the comparisions between the Mont Blanc and the various Hoka lines. Especially the Hoka Bondi 7. I am asking in terms of cushioning and support. The price for both seems to be the same here in Canada.

I am peering at the screen of my lap top over the rim of a glass of Guinness. Happy Saint Patrick's day.
A direct comparison would be difficult, given that they use different styles - Zero heel drop vs elevated heel, straighter last, etc. Although I have used many dozens of brands and models when testing, Altra is the only company for whom I could not complete testing due to the zero drop heel; I just couldn't get used to the feel.

On the other hand the Hoka One One Bondi is the shoe model I have now been using for backpacking and camino for several years. The Bondi will be more cushioned than the Mont Blanc, but in terms of how the shoe feels to you, try them both for yourself; the differences are too subjective to rely on personal reviews.

A direct comparison would be difficult, given that they use different styles - Zero heel drop vs elevated heel, straighter last, etc. Although I have used many dozens of brands and models when testing, Altra is the only company for whom I could not complete testing due to the zero drop heel; I just couldn't get used to the feel.

On the other hand the Hoka One One Bondi is the shoe model I have now been using for backpacking and camino for several years. The Bondi will be more cushioned than the Mont Blanc, but in terms of how the shoe feels to you, try them both for yourself; the differences are too subjective to rely on personal reviews.
All excellent points. I have been using the Bondi 7's for the past number of years and including my last three visits to the Camino. I am quite happy with them but had never heard of the Mont Blancs and so asked the question. Doesn't sound like they would work for me either. Thanks for the reply

All excellent points. I have been using the Bondi 7's for the past number of years and including my last three visits to the Camino. I am quite happy with them but had never heard of the Mont Blancs and so asked the question. Doesn't sound like they would work for me either. Thanks for the reply
Do not let my dislike and discomfort with the Altra shoes dissuade you from trying the Mont Blanc for yourself. You may find them far more compatible for your feet. I don't pretend that the Bondi's are the best shoe for anyone else, or even the best for me. :)

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Do not let my dislike and discomfort with the Altra shoes dissuade you from trying the Mont Blanc for yourself. You may find them far more compatible for your feet. I don't pretend that the Bondi's are the best shoe for anyone else, or even the best for me. :)
Acknowledged. Thanks

I've been training with LP All WTHR mids since around August and LP 5, since October. I think I prefer the mids because they give me more ankle support, also I have a theory that they will alleviate toe bumping on the downhill better. Both pairs soles wear pretty fast and the LP 5s are going back because no matter how tight I make them I still get heal slippage and the material back there wore out already (I wear them a third of the time). I recommend buying from REI, they have a great return policy within one year.

I'll be trying the Mont Blancs in their place. Thanks for the recommendation.

We will be on the CF in September too, hope to run into you there, Buen Camino.

As St. Patrick's Day nears an end in Ireland I can hope you enjoy your next Camino.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I've been training with LP All WTHR mids since around August and LP 5, since October. I think I prefer the mids because they give me more ankle support, also I have a theory that they will alleviate toe bumping on the downhill better. Both pairs soles wear pretty fast and the LP 5s are going back because no matter how tight I make them I still get heal slippage and the material back there wore out already (I wear them a third of the time). I recommend buying from REI, they have a great return policy within one year.

I'll be trying the Mont Blancs in their place. Thanks for the recommendation.

We will be on the CF in September too, hope to run into you there, Buen Camino.
Out of curiosity do you heel lock with your laces on the Lone Peaks? For me it’s the only way to hold my heel in contact with the back of the shoe.

I found significant wear in the inside heel after about 250 km (an engo patch helped on the next pair purchase) and sole/tried wear at about 700 km. So... by the end of the Francés they were done, became shoes I mowed the lawn in. I have Olympus now, trialing before upcoming VDLP....they are showing tread wear after about 300 training km... they may make it in the suitcase to pick up in SDC to wear on the Ingles or Portuguese’s coastal walk post VDLP.... I was going back to the (only) store that stocks Altra in my town this weekend to revisit the Loan Peak or Timp.... maybe they will have the Mont Blanc to try... 🤔

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I found significant wear in the inside heel after about 250 km (an engo patch helped on the next pair purchase) and sole/tried wear at about 700 km. So... by the end of the Francés they were done, became shoes I mowed the lawn in. I have Olympus now, trialing before upcoming VDLP....they are showing tread wear after about 300 training km... they may make it in the suitcase to pick up in SDC to wear on the Ingles or Portuguese’s coastal walk post VDLP.... I was going back to the (only) store that stocks Altra in my town this weekend to revisit the Loan Peak or Timp.... maybe they will have the Mont Blanc to try... 🤔
Thanks Loulou for your response. I am now confident that I should manage with only one pair of lone peaks. I also had olympus but they didn't suit, found the Timp to be close to lone peaks but I am interested to hear your view of mont blancs

Hello :). 2021 found me walking the Del Norte in August with the Altra Olympus 4. The Mont Blanc I have not worn but I can give some insight on foot wear as I have also walked the Frances routes both at the 600 miles or so to include Finesterre using Salomon mid length. The Olympus 4 held up fantastic. No abrasion wear on the outside and the tread wear was maybe half used. But the cushion started to get less as the time went on but over all except-able. As you know there is a lot of hard surface walking so maximum cushion will make your journey that much more enjoyable. I don’t have wide feet so the slightly narrower toe box of the Olympus but still wide was perfect. Ventilation was also spot on for the month of August. HOWEVER, the wide platform hitting the ground made for loud walking, equivalent to army boots. My lady friends leather Mendel boots where much quieter. Would I buy them again for my upcoming Camino this year ? probably not. In my opinion the lone peak will be a nightmare on any Camino with its lack of cushion. There is a mixture of every kind of footwear on the Camino. The average person just goes down to their sports store a picks up what feels good. If you like to blend in with everybody around you on the Camino, I wouldn’t buy the Altra’s with the large letters :)) haha. I went with the black Olympus myself.

Attachments

• 5AE87677-4B77-4A5C-BDB7-B6EFC26A243C.jpeg
    5AE87677-4B77-4A5C-BDB7-B6EFC26A243C.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 9
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Out of curiosity do you heel lock with your laces on the Lone Peaks? For me it’s the only way to hold my heel in contact with the back of the shoe.
Had never heard of heel locking the laces before. Just watched a YouTube on it and I’m gonna give it a try with the Mont Blanc. Thanks!

Thanks Loulou for your response. I am now confident that I should manage with only one pair of lone peaks. I also had olympus but they didn't suit, found the Timp to be close to lone peaks but I am interested to hear your view of mont blancs
Embargo on Mont Blancs for a few more months in Aus apparently.... bought another pair of Lone Peaks (6)....

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I've been doing just a bit of research on the Mont Blanc and a visit to altrarunning.com seems to point to a similar problem among "low raters". They all seem to point to the heel area. I think I'm going to stick with my known shoes (Keen / Altra) until they get a little more exposure. If you're like me, always looking for a more comfortable hike, I'd check out the website.

Last edited:
Lone Peak 6 are pretty good. I’ve got the yellow ones. It’s amazing how much more cushion they have in comparison to my well worn Timps. I’m looking forward to the Timp 4s which just released but aren’t in NZ yet. The Timp 3s were very comfortable and wore really well on the soles. The heels did get a hole in the inners but I never felt it when walking. The new ones are supposed to be far more durable and include drain holes which is welcome.

I've worn Altras on my two previous CF's. I have just gotten the Olympus 4 which seems much improved from the Olympus 2 which I wore in 2016 (Timp 2 in 2018). I really liked the Timp in 2018, so I ordered the new Timp 4 to compare with the Olympus 4. As we all know, shoes are so personal, that it's difficult to know whether any particular shoe will work. The Timp 4 is a major overhaul from previous Timps, and aesthetically it is a great looking shoe, but for me it just doesn't have the Altra comfort I expect. The toe box doesn't feel as roomy, and the overall platform is smaller. The Olympus 4, however, feels great with 33mm of cushioning and, to me, has that Altra comfort that I'm used to. And a very wide sole/platform that seems to me would provide a lot of stability. And although the Olympus (also the Timp) doesn't have a rock plate, the plush cushioning effectively acts as a rock plate. I'm trying to remember if my first Altras in 2016 required getting used to the zero drop--I don't recall noticing any difference, but I know that many people either require a period of adapting to zero drop, or simply never get comfortable with it.

I've worn Altras on my two previous CF's. I have just gotten the Olympus 4 which seems much improved from the Olympus 2 which I wore in 2016 (Timp 2 in 2018). I really liked the Timp in 2018, so I ordered the new Timp 4 to compare with the Olympus 4. As we all know, shoes are so personal, that it's difficult to know whether any particular shoe will work. The Timp 4 is a major overhaul from previous Timps, and aesthetically it is a great looking shoe, but for me it just doesn't have the Altra comfort I expect. The toe box doesn't feel as roomy, and the overall platform is smaller. The Olympus 4, however, feels great with 33mm of cushioning and, to me, has that Altra comfort that I'm used to. And a very wide sole/platform that seems to me would provide a lot of stability. And although the Olympus (also the Timp) doesn't have a rock plate, the plush cushioning effectively acts as a rock plate. I'm trying to remember if my first Altras in 2016 required getting used to the zero drop--I don't recall noticing any difference, but I know that many people either require a period of adapting to zero drop, or simply never get comfortable with it.
And Olympus 5s are coming out this summer. Should work for the late summer/autumn crowd

I'm training in the Altra Alpine (leaving end of August) and so far they are great! They are billed as a hiking shoe with sturdier sole, there is a high top model but I'm in the low tops and so far loving them! Same wide toe box and zero drop, can apply waterproofing if desired

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I have often wondered what those extra holes are for, now I know. Thanks for sharing this tip, super impressed
My pleasure! Made my shoes fit perfectly! The new Lone Peaks have extra holes mid way that I now need to figure out 😂

Are the Bondis good enough for a CF from SJPDP in April? Sturdy enough for the rocky descents and good grip etc. Soles holding up?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Are the Bondis good enough for a CF from SJPDP in April? Sturdy enough for the rocky descents and good grip etc. Soles holding up?
I wore a pair of the Bondi 7's from Pamplona to Santiago in April of 2020. They were comfortable to the end and held up well wear wise. I still wear them for short daily walks (2 to 3 miles) and have a new pair for my next Camino.

For me, the Bondi has always performed well. It works with my particular weight, gait, and motion control needs. I have had no issues with traction, but then there can be traction issues that any footwear type will face (hard pan with loose sand or small pebbles, for instance) where walking techniques must be used to compensate.

I would recommend it only as a shoe to try out for you to see if it suits.

For me, the Bondi has always performed well. It works with my particular weight, gait, and motion control needs. I have had no issues with traction, but then there can be traction issues that any footwear type will face (hard pan with loose sand or small pebbles, for instance) where walking techniques must be used to compensate.

I would recommend it only as a shoe to try out for you to see if it suits.
Thanks! It is worth. Try, unfortunately we do not have a REI here where you can try out your shoes outside for a while.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Most read last week in this forum

My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
Hi. Shawn and Lainey are a lovely couple - so positive! - who now live in Galicia and have a Youtube presence "Days we Spend" with plenty of excellent and informative Camino videos - they are...
Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
I am finally embarking on my first camino later this year. I will be taking my Canon R6 camera with me. For others that have taken DLSR’s or mirrorless cameras, what lens or lenses did you find...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.