• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Altra Shoes Replacement Insoles

Ian L

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances summer 2017 (SJPP to Fromista)
Camino Frances summer 2019 (Fromista to Santiago)
Has anyone found an insole that will fit properly in Altra shoes? I have a pair of Altra Lone Peak 3.5's that are really comfortable and I would like to wear them on the Camino this summer. The problem is that I would like a spare set of insoles in case the ones that come with the shoes get wet, I can swap them out.

The problem I have had finding replacements is that none of them are wide enough in the toe area to fit the "foot shaped" design of the shoe. I'm worried about getting blisters from my toes sitting on the edge of the aftermarket insole. I've tried the cheap Dr. Scholl's cut to fit insoles, which were the widest I could find at a drug store, but they still aren't wide enough in the toe area. They also didn't conform well to the heal and arch area.

I also checked Altra's website, but I don't see anything regarding replacement insoles. Their shoes seem to be pretty popular with thru hiker's, I would think there would be a market for them. I guess they would rather you just by another pair of shoes! I've seen some posts on backpacking forums recommending Superfeet green or Superfeet Trailblazer insoles for Altra's, but they still appear to be very pointy in the toe area and don't look like they would completely fill up the shoe. I don't really want to spend the dinero to find out, so I would appreciate any feedback I can get.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I have used Orthosoles from Millets, which you could buy large and cut to size if they are still too pointed. (I found their sizing to be fairly accurate.) They are also available from Blacks who probably have a wider selection. Availability is possibly dependent on where you live.

Have you called the customer service number for Altra? They might be able to help.

I buy insoles from the Insolestore.com. They may be able to recommend insoles that would suit your needs from their extensive selection.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I've been using Superfeet (Green) in my Altra Lone Peaks, with no problem. I just checked with my fingers, and I can't feel any gap at the sides.

Not exactly on topic but how do these superfeet smell after a week or so? Up untill now only leather insoles prevent my shoes from going smelly. Dont know why, I even use treeoil on my feet before I start walking. Tried few of them “plastic” ones but no good for me. Comfortable but stinkey after some good walks.

I haven’t had problems with my superfeet insoles but I take them out of the shoe every night to air.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I’ve had no issues with Superfeet insoles, I also wear Bridgedale Fusion socks which are a mix of coolmax and merino for temperature regulation, and change socks midway through my day. No blisters, no pong. 👍

I have used Orthosoles from Millets, which you could buy large and cut to size if they are still too pointed. (I found their sizing to be fairly accurate.) They are also available from Blacks who probably have a wider selection. Availability is possibly dependent on where you live.

Thank you, I will take a look.

Have you called the customer service number for Altra? They might be able to help.

I buy insoles from the Insolestore.com. They may be able to recommend insoles that would suit your needs from their extensive selection.

On one of the backpack forums someone said that Altra recommended they use the Superfeet, but it was an older post. I should probably contact Altra myself and see if this is still what they recommend. I'm sure there are new products coming out all of the time.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I've been using Superfeet (Green) in my Altra Lone Peaks, with no problem. I just checked with my fingers, and I can't feel any gap at the sides.

Excellent, thank you for checking!

I always replace my Altra insoles with orange superfeet because I need the extra cushioning. When I trim them to fit there is an 1/8th inch or so gap on one side of the top but it doesn't cause any problems. I walked in daily rain last May and i removed the insoles for drying. Both the shoes and the insoles were dry before morning. Actually the shoes dried faster than the newspaper stuffed boots that many wear. I also made a pair of flip-flops out of the original insoles to wear around the albergue. I accidentally stepped in a puddle and found they dried quickly after I blotted them with a paper towel. So my point is you probably don't need extra insoles and if you do decide you want them you can buy great insoles in Spain.

I always replace my Altra insoles with orange superfeet because I need the extra cushioning. When I trim them to fit there is an 1/8th inch or so gap on one side of the top but it doesn't cause any problems. I walked in daily rain last May and i removed the insoles for drying. Both the shoes and the insoles were dry before morning. Actually the shoes dried faster than the newspaper stuffed boots that many wear. I also made a pair of flip-flops out of the original insoles to wear around the albergue. I accidentally stepped in a puddle and found they dried quickly after I blotted them with a paper towel. So my point is you probably don't need extra insoles and if you do decide you want them you can buy great insoles in Spain.

Yes, I'm sure I would be fine with 1 pair of insoles, but I like over preparing for pretty much everything. I also wouldn't mind having extra cushioning since the original insole doesn't offer much. A local running shoe store carries Superfeet so I will go take a look.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
My insoles are Currex medium. I've never had a problem.
Good luck with this.

I have used the Dr Scholls for two Caminos with both TIMPs and Lone Peak 4.0 mids.
They are the custom fit Dr Scholls you step on the machine to size. I used the
CF 420. About $50 US
I tried and used Superfeet orange and green but feel the edge on my toes due to the wide foot box of the Altras. The Dr Scholls only go half way down the shoes. They have lasted 1500 kms this year.

Attachments

• 8ADA29FB-FCDC-4179-B8F6-D5F56D0B9F50.jpeg
    8ADA29FB-FCDC-4179-B8F6-D5F56D0B9F50.jpeg
    601.2 KB · Views: 22
I just got Currex runpro medium insoles at the local running shoe store. They used a 3D scan of my feet to determine my arch type and recommended a version of the Currex and Superfeet green. I liked the feel of the Currex a little better. Also the heal on the Currex wasn't raised as much, which keeps it pretty close to the zero drop design of the Altra. The store cut them down to size and installed them for me. There is a very small gap in one area of the front due to the shape of the Altras, but my toes are not close to it at all.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Has anyone found an insole that will fit properly in Altra shoes? I have a pair of Altra Lone Peak 3.5's that are really comfortable and I would like to wear them on the Camino this summer. The problem is that I would like a spare set of insoles in case the ones that come with the shoes get wet, I can swap them out.

The problem I have had finding replacements is that none of them are wide enough in the toe area to fit the "foot shaped" design of the shoe. I'm worried about getting blisters from my toes sitting on the edge of the aftermarket insole. I've tried the cheap Dr. Scholl's cut to fit insoles, which were the widest I could find at a drug store, but they still aren't wide enough in the toe area. They also didn't conform well to the heal and arch area.

I also checked Altra's website, but I don't see anything regarding replacement insoles. Their shoes seem to be pretty popular with thru hiker's, I would think there would be a market for them. I guess they would rather you just by another pair of shoes! I've seen some posts on backpacking forums recommending Superfeet green or Superfeet Trailblazer insoles for Altra's, but they still appear to be very pointy in the toe area and don't look like they would completely fill up the shoe. I don't really want to spend the dinero to find out, so I would appreciate any feedback I can get.
Just bring a pair of waterproof socks. Check out DexShell. The innersoles will dry out fast, but the Altras let water in fast. Use the socks on rainy days. Really work well

Just bring a pair of waterproof socks. Check out DexShell. The innersoles will dry out fast, but the Altras let water in fast. Use the socks on rainy days. Really work well

Thank you Andrew, I'm going to order a pair and give them a try.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Below is the response I got after emailing Altra about recommended insoles. The CurrexSole runpro are working well for me.

"Thank you for contacting Altra. At this time we do not have replacement insoles available. We are looking to fix that and offer them in the future. However the 2 companies that we recommend are Sof Sole and CurrexSole. They have foot shape insoles that have worked well in our shoes."

Interesting thread. I actually used some sort of Dr Scholls *after* the Camino to revive my poor, worn Altras. Every other part of the shoe was doing fine! Just no the insole. :) I didn't notice any width issues with mine but did notice the Dr Scholls were not as nice as what came in my Altras.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
My foot is long and narrow - my arches are flat and my ankles are weak. I'm a big boy, and my feet are my weakest link. Now comes the Good News...
I have green Superfeet in my Altra Lone Peak MD4's. I too was worried that these inserts were too pointy. But when they were cut to fit the shoe, I was surprised how I couldn't feel anything but the beauty of my splayed toes and happily supported metatarsals. I'm very pleased with this combination of Altra Lone Peak and Green Superfeet inserts.

I've been using regular Superfeet greens in my Altras, no problem. I bought the same size as the shoe and they fit great with no trimming. I've not noticed any gaps at all, in at the toe or along the side.

I recently bought a pair of wide Superfeet greens which were recommended for the Altras. These I had to trim, but I don't find them any improvement over the regulars. Next time I will just buy the regular ones.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I'm using Lone Peak 4 on my Camino. I have 2 pairs. One for training and one for Spain (these shoes don't last more than 1000km). I will be bringing a pair of waterproof socks for wet days. The L.P. 4 has drain holes in the sole. Not sure if the 3 has them. Otherwise I haven't found any insoles that fit

I'm using Lone Peak 4 on my Camino. I have 2 pairs. One for training and one for Spain (these shoes don't last more than 1000km). I will be bringing a pair of waterproof socks for wet days. The L.P. 4 has drain holes in the sole. Not sure if the 3 has them. Otherwise I haven't found any insoles that fit
You are right Lone Peaks last about 1 Camino Frances.

Superfeet greens also come in wide...I'm going to try them in my altra lone peak 4.0's

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Just today finished my 2nd Frances from SJPdP. I wore Altra Lone Peak 3.5 with Superfeet Green insoles cut to size both times - no blisters, no foot problems. But if you have been training in your LPs then get a new pair for the walk. After about 1000km they are done, the sole (not Vibram) is worn and the padding compressed, but the stitching etc is still in good order. Both times I wore my LPs virtually straight out of the box with only a short 20-30 km walk to ‘run them in’. No problems at all - take note of Dave Bugg’s comments re sizing/fit though - if in doubt, go a bit bigger than normal. PS, I also swear by Injinji pure wool inner ‘toe glove’ socks under thicker merino wool outer socks. Cooee

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.