• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Altra Timp 4 trail running shoes or Lone Peak All weather

Ladybird1093

Time of past OR future Camino
September 2023
I am doing the French Way in September. I am still trying out different shoes and have just found Altra Timp 4 that are very comfy but they are quick drying mesh. I am a little nervous about it being not waterproof. Will all weather Lone Peak be a better option?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I am doing the French Way in September. I am still trying out different shoes and have just found Altra Timp 4 that are very comfy but they are quick drying mesh. I am a little nervous about it being not waterproof. Will all weather Lone Peak be a better option?
I have the same question. Also, wondering how Timp 4 compares with the very highly rated Lone Peak 6, which now seems to be on sale everywhere. Maybe Timp 4 is its 2023 replacement?

IMO you are much better off with the breathable quicky drying shoes than waterproof shoes which can trap heat and moisture inside, and take a long time to dry when they get wet. I would only consider waterproof if I were walking in cold weather - September can be hot!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I have worn Altra Lone Peaks or Hoka Bondis. Did my feet get wet? Yes, but the shoes dried out over night without problems. I pulled out the insoles and put some newpaper in them to help with the drying. My feet never got cold. My feet never macerated. I have walked in September ranging from hot weater to snow on O'Cebreiro. Let those puppies breathe.

I prefer waterproof footwear even in late spring. The one time I didn't wear waterproof footwear was walking in early summer, and it rained enough to drench my feet, and I would rather avoid the risks of doing that.

As an aside, I have never found it difficult to get waterproof footwear dry overnight. Provided one can get newspaper or other absorbent paper, it has always been possible to do that, even in more temperate places like my pilgrimage walks across Norway.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I’ve walked with both Lone Peak and Timps (multiple times in different models) and have been happy with each, but there are differences. The biggest issues are that Lone Peaks have less padding (key on the Portuguese!) but last longer than Timps. The last two versions (Timp 3 & 4) have had many issues lasting more than a few hundred miles. My three pairs of Lone Peaks have had double the life of my TIMPS, but I still prefer the extra cushion of the latter.

As for all-weather, I’ve never tried them but I’ve walked in every type of weather on multiple camino routes and never regretted have the non-weatherproof version. I don’t mind wet feet in the rain as long as they can breathe, plus they dried out very quickly (even while I walked!)

You will have to see what works for you. I find that waterproof shoes don't work for me as my feet sweat a lot and get wet with no ability to breath, and they take forever to dry out when they do get wet. But I have friends who swear by them
As far as Altra shoes are concerned, for me the Lone Peaks have too thin a sole; I can feel every little pebble and the soles of my feet get somewhat bruised. I did like the Timps but (and this was an older generation than they have now) they started to fall apart after just a few hundred miles so wouldn't last the whole CF. I am now testing the Olympus which so far I am loving! Plenty of cushioning, huge toe box, and so far lasting the mileage. I will be wearing these on my CF next month!

I just bought my second pair of Altra Lone Peak 6s. I have walked previously in earlier versions of Lone Peaks and also in Timps (maybe version 1.5?). Altra, like all shoe companies, changes the design of their shoes frequently. So the version number is important. I hated Lone Peak 3.5 and 4. But I love the 6. I agree with the comment above about the lack of durability - Lone Peaks last about half as long as my old Salomons. And the Timps no longer fit my high-arched feet well, which is annoying - I really liked the ones I had!

I have also been seeing Lone Peak 6 on sale recently! The 7s are starting to show up in stores.

As for waterproof or not - all my Salomons were waterproof -- and the best thing about that was that my socks didn't get wet walking the dog in the morning in wet grass near home. But none of the Altras have been waterproof.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Big Lone Peak advocate here (every time I see it in a title, I click)! I have always used the non-waterproof/GTX options and I much prefer them. They dry super fast - indeed, even faster than other brands of trail shoes (e.g. Brooks Cascadia). The year I walked the Portugues it rained from Lisbon to Porto, like torrential downpour, and I never had trouble with my LPs being dry by the time the sun cracked the sky the next morning. And yes, September is HOT, so I third/fourth/fifth the others who vote breathable. Happy walking!

I have also been seeing Lone Peak 6 on sale recently! The 7s are starting to show up in stores.
I bought my 7s in January lol they had literally just arrived that day. I have yet to test them as I live in the Hinterlands and there is still a lot of ice everywhere. Here's hoping I like them!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
On my Camino in May-June 2023, I wore the Altra Torin Luxe 5, also a quick-drying mesh.
A great choice for me - happy feet, just 1 small blister, and they dried quickly.

On my Camino in May-June 2023, I wore the Altra Torin Luxe 5, also a quick-drying mesh.
A great choice for me - happy feet, just 1 small blister, and they dried quickly.
Torins were my pandemic walk (a lot!) around town shoes. So squishy. I liked them!

If you're not used to walk long distances, notice that Lone Peak are zero drop shoes. It requires strength in the calves and ankles. I can't walk more than 5km in zero drops, need at least 4mm drop to feel comfortable and no pain in the legs. But, personal preferences and we all have different feet.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
For me it has to be non waterproof Altra Lone Peak trailshoes. 1 size up on normal. Comfortable and quick drying.

I have done the Camino twice in Teva sandals with Ininji toed socks inside Wright socks. Even in rain, my feet were never wet. Never got a blister. If you are afraid of bumping toes on rocks, then as alternate carry shoes I recommend Altra Timp 4 wearing the two kinds of socks same way.

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Well…… about $400 usd in socks and liners later and about 160 miles. I live in California near the Sierra mountains so we have some good trails and heat- I wanted to find my perfect combination...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.