• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Altras Lone Peak 6 + Flat Feet

CaminoUK31

Time of past OR future Camino
May 8th 2023
Hi all,
About to start the Camino Frances in may, I have purchased Altras and have been wearing them the last few weeks.
I went to see a physio today and she told me not to wear Zero drop for the camino.
Im just curious if anyone has experience with Zero drop and Long hikes?
Debating whether to get new shoes,
Thank you xx

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I have very flat feet and have been using different Altra models since 2020. I insert a different store bought insole that have more cushioning for heel and ball of feet (arthritic toes). I’ll be walking in April with Timp 4s. Have had no issues training so far with them. Zero drop shoes do not engage the calf muscles as much because your heel is not raised.

Maybe do longer distances and some back to back training and see how you feel. Wear them for your daily activities also. That should give you a better idea how your feet and body react.

I have very flat feet and have been using different Altra models since 2020. I insert a different store bought insole that have more cushioning for heel and ball of feet (arthritic toes). I’ll be walking in April with Timp 4s. Have had no issues training so far with them. Zero drop shoes do not engage the calf muscles as much because your heel is not raised.

Maybe do longer distances and some back to back training and see how you feel. Wear them for your daily activities also. That should give you a better idea how your feet and body react.
Thanks so much for replying, can you recommended any insoles?
I just hope i dont need to buy new shoes, and isoles will work in the altras, they are SUPER comfy but have experianced slight aches and arch pain since wearing them xx

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
You may need to be patient and listen to your feet if this is your first experience with zero drop shoes. You may conisder transitioning from your conventional shoe with a 8~12mm drop to the 0 drop by alternating shoes every day or every other day for a while. Your feet, achiles, calves all need to stretch and move a little different.

I had my podiatrist make some custom insoles. I have tried a range of over the counter insoles including Superfeet and Sole (yoursole,com). However, I went to the GoodFeet store several years ago and they were a game changer for me. All of these insoles fit inside the Altras but do cause some additional wear on the inside back of the heel in the shoe for me. The insoles also fit inside my crocs.

¡Suerte!

Hi all,
About to start the Camino Frances in may, I have purchased Altras and have been wearing them the last few weeks.
I went to see a physio today and she told me not to wear Zero drop for the camino.
Thank you xx
Hi, I wore 2 pairs of Lone Peaks on walk from Almeria to Fisterre, no problems. Would recommend stretching once finished everyday but all good.

I wore Altra LP 6’s last year and did the whole Camino Frances. Super comfy and not one single blister! I’m still hiking every week and won’t wear anything else. Waiting for the LP 7’s to arrive now. Excellent shoes.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Shoes are a very individual decision, comfort over long distances being paramount (and avoiding blisters). There is a range of opinions about zero drop. Here is my own unique experience: I have flat feet and wear Altra Lone Peak in daily life, training, and on two of three caminos. I will be wearing them again on the full Frances at the end of May. I walked my first Camino ten years ago entirely in Fila toe shoes (no blisters, no injuries). At the time I had chronic pain in my left ankle and feet, was in physical therapy for over a year and told I would never be able to walk a day of the Camino, much less 500 miles…and that even surgery would not insure I could hike. I felt hopeless until I read the Barefoot Runner and out of sheer desperation began walking barefoot up and down the football field. The foot pain finally subsided and ankle healed up. I then trained in toe shoes and completed the Camino Frances from SJPD. It did the trick for me, but every person and their feet are different. That said, I did see dozens of pilgrims wearing Lone Peaks or some other form of Altras last September on the Frances, most of them walking the entirety. The REI associate said they were the top selling shoe among their customers (at his store) walking the Camino, so there must be many pilgrims walking long distances in Lone Peaks. Hoka also seemed like a popular brand among pilgrims. For me the zero drop have worked well to keep ankle and foot pain at a minimum. Others may find they need something different. Best to train in whichever shoes you choose adding time and miles. Also, each iteration of a shoe can change. I love Lone Peak 4, 4.5, and 5. I tried half a dozen Lone Peak 6, all rubbed funny on my foot. Lone Peak 7 feels fine.

As others have said, feet are different so my experience may not be relevant to yours. I, too, have flat feet. I bought Altra Lone Peaks in my normal size at REI. I liked walking in them until my first 10-mile hike. Once my feet swelled, I realized I would need to go up a half size. However, I also noticed that the Altras provided little support in my midfoot and they gapped as I walked. I ended up returning the Lone Peaks and buying Topo Athletic Terraventure 3 trail runners. They have a wide toe box similar to the Lone Peaks but slightly more midfoot support. They have a 3mm drop, so less than most hiking shoes but not zero drop. I've been very happy with them. At the suggestion of a podiatrist, I added Superfeet insoles; I chose the Trailblazers. I start the Camino del Norte next month so time will tell whether this has been the right choice.

I have flat feet, and walked the Via de la Plata Camino last year. No problem, will be using lone peak 6 on the Via Francigene this year.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
As others have said, feet are different so my experience may not be relevant to yours. I, too, have flat feet. I bought Altra Lone Peaks in my normal size at REI. I liked walking in them until my first 10-mile hike. Once my feet swelled, I realized I would need to go up a half size. However, I also noticed that the Altras provided little support in my midfoot and they gapped as I walked. I ended up returning the Lone Peaks and buying Topo Athletic Terraventure 3 trail runners. They have a wide toe box similar to the Lone Peaks but slightly more midfoot support. They have a 3mm drop, so less than most hiking shoes but not zero drop. I've been very happy with them. At the suggestion of a podiatrist, I added Superfeet insoles; I chose the Trailblazers. I start the Camino del Norte next month so time will tell whether this has been the right choice.
I just did the same. Had a hard time getting a good fit but I settled on the Topo also. Sizing a little hard to get used to due to that toe box. I went down a half size from my normal running shoe and seems about right. I leave in two weeks so fingers crossed.

I bought the Altra Lone Peak 7 from REI along with Superfeet Trailblazer insoles. Very supportive and comfortable. Almost like slippers and I really like the wider toe box.

Hi all,
Thank you xx
I had the exact same issue with altas and insoles did the trick. Got them in Burgos and it’s like a whole new walking experience.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Wearing Altras with Superfeet insoles for two years and two Caminos gradually gave me tendonitis. I switched to Hoka (Challenger and Speedgoat, with Power step insoles) and the tendonitis has equally gradually gone away.

I had my first podiatrist appointment this morning. My arches are low but not flat. This guy said my calves were only slightly tight so I didn't need a high drop. He seemed more comfortable with me in a mid range drop. He said that, unfortunately, you just have to try out a lot of shoes to determine which drop works for you. But none of this seemed to have anything to do with my arches, it was all about the calves, hips and knees. From reading on this board, it seems like people either love or hate zero drop shoes so it feels risky to me. In your training, have you done some significant distances back to back with your pack? I'd be testing the hell out of these if you're worried.

My podiatrist was adament that zero-drop shoes were better over long distances so I tried different Altras. The Lone Peaks didn't have enough padding for me I felt like I was barefoot: every stone was a boulder even with insoles and I felt like my feet were pointing 'uphill' all the time. My husband said I walked like a duck. 🦆 I switched to the Altra Olympus 5 and Bingo, perfect: completely different feel as they have a sole much more like the Hoka's (super thick but not 'squishy' with adequate stiffness). I ended up going up 1/2 size and added insoles to add a bit more structure and fill out the slightly wide shoe. But everyone's feet and legs are different. You really need to put some miles on the shoe with some long hikes to know how they will perform for YOU. ¡Buen Camino!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Wearing Altras with Superfeet insoles for two years and two Caminos gradually gave me tendonitis.
I love my LPs, but this also happened to me. I seem to be able to train in my Lone Peaks without issue; I'm wondering if it's the extra load from my pack in concert with the zero drop that increased my problems for tendonitis. (FWIW, I have a high arch, wider foot, LOVE the wide toe box). I "think" adding the superfeet insole adds a few mms so you'd no longer be "zero" drop. Definitely do distance training w/a loaded pack several days in a row to test your shoe/insole/sock combo before leaving for the Camino. Good luck, and Buen Camino!

Might be a little late but adding my comments;

I used to wear zero drop shoes and had no issues with them. I didn't necessarily stop it was more of a fade to something else as I began running. The issue with zero level shoes is that most have relative little to no padding as they take a minimalist approach and make you "feel the ground". That was not something I was looking for when running 6-10 miles (10-16km) at a time. I would advise be very careful and think 2x about using minimal zero drop shoes on the Camino due to the wear and tear on your legs. That is not to say do not use zero drop. If you go the zero drop be sure to get the padded or foam shoes. I am looking at Altera shoes for my Camino. Also be sure to get a wide toe box. I know this is stated by everyone but that is the idea of zero drop shoes; toes need to have the freedom to move up/down and side to side. The foot should be snug but the toes have the freedom to "wiggle". Finally, get the zero drop shoes sometime before the Camino and walk in them. Your legs will ache for the first several days/weeks as these shoes do change your gait which will do things to your legs. There will be some who can not adjust for one reason or another and will need to revert back to traditional shoes before one leaves.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...
I've stopped procrastinating and done my first pack. Was a bit nervous about being under 7kg hand luggage, but on the first try I've come to 5.9kg (13 pounds). (Not counting one set walking...
Hi there! I was on the fence about poles bc I've never used them and as mentioned previously, brand new to hiking. But because I'm in treatment for breast cancer and as such have a decent amount...
Starting our Camino on May 6. Super excited! These forums have been awesome! Doing Coastal Portuguese from Porto with my daughter and her girlfriend. Definitely packing good lightweight rain...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.