• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Altus Poncho Help

Lucyev

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances July 22nd (2020)
Please help! I’m looking to order an Altus Atmospheric Poncho for the CF in Sept/Oct.

I’m UK based, so will probably end up ordering from Amazon Uk, which will charge me over £11 for delivery, so I want to get the sizing right.

I’m a shorty, 5 foot 1, 195 pounds, and will be carrying a 45l Osprey pack.

I don’t seem to be able to fit in any of the categories, as I’m both short and fat!!

Can anyone advise me as to what fitted them?

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
@Anniesantiago's YouTube video should be helpful.

Thanks, I’ll take a watch of this.Am I right in thinking you make your own clothes too? Apologies if I have the wrong person but I’m frantically trying to find an old thread I read about someone buying Merino Wool material to make her own light weight travel dress. A bit of a stab in the dark, but wondering if that was you?

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Thanks, I’ll take a watch of this.Am I right in thinking you make your own clothes too? Apologies if I have the wrong person but I’m frantically trying to find an old thread I read about someone buying Merino Wool material to make her own light weight travel dress. A bit of a stab in the dark, but wondering if that was you?
Yes. I'm the one who has made my own merino wool "hiking dresses." Do you need information about my sources?
Here are a couple in New Zealand that I've ordered from

Please help! I’m looking to order an Altus Atmospheric Poncho for the CF in Sept/Oct.

I’m UK based, so will probably end up ordering from Amazon Uk, which will charge me over £11 for delivery, so I want to get the sizing right.

I don’t seem to be able to fit in any of the categories, as I’m both short and fat!!

Can't help with sizing but for our first Camino we struggled at the time to find Altus ponchos. Eventually bought from our local Decathlon which has a range of poncho types and sizes. Still going strong after 3 Caminos and other walks.

I would get the M-L I'm 5'4" and the length is mid-calf. I wouldn't mind having a few more inches.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Can't help with sizing but for our first Camino we struggled at the time to find Altus ponchos. Eventually bought from our local Decathlon which has a range of poncho types and sizes. Still going strong after 3 Caminos and other walks.
That's what I did. Decathlon has one identical to the Altus but I was able to try it on in the store first.

Yes. I'm the one who has made my own merino wool "hiking dresses." Do you need information about my sources?
Here are a couple in New Zealand that I've ordered from

What a great idea! You are just smack full of great ideas!!!! I have 2 weeks left before I go. Still time to look into this...:)

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Ditto 5ft and shall we say cuddly but I got the XL for the sole purpose of it coming down to my ankles so I don't need rain pants. Ordered via Amazon. Check out Annie Santiago on YouTube she does a great video on the Altus.

Also, where are your starting? You can reserve one at La Boutique Du Perlerin in SJPdP

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Back in 2014 we bought in St Jean Pied de Port, and the shop near the Pilgrims Office had a heap of stock and our Altus ponchos are still as good as the day they were bought. You will be good.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

I’m 5’5” and 120. My pack is a Gregory Jade 38. I ordered the medium because a friend told me the extra room and length would be more comfortable. It is definitely bigger than me! But it fits the BP just fine. I’ve hiked with it several times in cold and rain. Then extra length kept my pants dry. And I was very comfortable with the bulkier clothes. Also, when the rain stopped it hung easily off of the BP. My friend is 5’6” ish and probably 150 pounds. Hers fits great and is also a medium. If I could do it over though, i would probably order the small.

The French boutique mentioned above will hold one for you until you arrive. I’ve been emailing with him and he’s been extremely helpful. He is also discounting it right now if you pre order, and helped me to determine the correct size.

Judging by the problems that people I know have had bringing things into the UK by mail since "B-Day" you might want to wait until you get to SJPP or even Caminoteca in Pamplona.
Can't advise on the size as I'm a foot taller than you but if the sleeves are too long you can pull them up and a longer "skirt" will, as others have said, keep your legs drier although dryness inside an Altus is a matter of opinion!

EDIT - just checked with a Camino hiking friend as to what her son-in-law bought her for her last Camino and it was a "Snugpak Enhanced Patrol Poncho" it's more of a sleeved poncho than the Altus which, quite frankly, is a coat. That means you can't open up the front to ventilate but she says she's OK with that.
The downside is it's only available in green or black - she went with green which helps her blend into the woodlands when she needs to "commune with nature".
Oh and 360gm in weight and it has a pocket behind the front pouch to keep your hands warm.

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
FYI :
he size S Altus atmospheric poncho will fit you if:
- you are shorter than 170 cm (5 feet 7 inches), and
- your backpack is smaller than 40 L, and
- your weight is under 70 kg (154,3 lbs)

The size M-L Altus atmospheric poncho will fit you if:
- you are between 170 cm (5 feet 7 inches) and 185 cm (6 feet 1 inch) tall,
- the size of your backpack is between 40 and 50 Liters
- your weight is between 70 kg (154,3 lbs) and 90 kg (198,4 lbs)

The size XL-XXL Altus atmospheric poncho will fit you if:
- you are taller than 185 cm (6 feet 1 inch),
- your backpack is bigger than 50 Liters
- your weight is over 90 kg (198,4 lbs)

Source https://www.caminoteca.com/

It might be nice to get one of the Altus ponchos as a gift after finishing my camino in SdC. Is there a store in Santiago that sells them?

Most read last week in this forum

Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...
With this device, you can pack everything you might want (including your fears) irrespective of weight.
Hi there! I was on the fence about poles bc I've never used them and as mentioned previously, brand new to hiking. But because I'm in treatment for breast cancer and as such have a decent amount...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.