• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Altus Poncho - How Long Should It Be?

High Endeavours

Time of past OR future Camino
CF 13
VdlP 14
LePuy 15
Invierno DosFaros CP 16
88 Templ Japan 17
Sicily Arles-Santiago 18
Norte 19
Perhaps a seemingly silly question? I've lots of experience with an Altus Poncho having researched the Forum prior to my first Camino in 2013 and a fan. I'm just under 6' tall (1.8 metres) and purchased an Altus Atmospheric, lime green (called it Margarita:D). It came to just below the top of my knees. A key point is that we had no rain prior to my Camino so I couldn't test it prior to departure as I would typically do. What I discovered in Spain during 12 days of rain is that the wind would lift it slightly and with normal walking motion my shorts would get wet. I rolled the short legs up, but it wasn't very convenient and not always successful.

This poncho was damaged and began to delaminate on the Le Puy route last year. When I returned home I began a search for a new Altus. Strangely difficult to come by, but eventually I was able to source several for myself and a few other folks in our local Camino Chapter. They have changed the lengths of the new ponchos compared to my older model with the front now 2" longer and the back hanging even lower. The Medium/Large comes almost to the bottom of my knees. The XL size hangs down further to almost half way between knees and ankles. How far should it hang dawn?

The XL is very wide and I'm concerned that it will sort of act like a small sail in the wind:confused: I phoned the store where I purchased the ponchos (other side of Canada) and they told me the longer length would be best (XL) and not to worry about the excessive width. I guess the other issue would be going down a steep slope and the back of the poncho catching a boot heel. I'd like to take it on a hike, but if I have to return it they might not accept it back.

Thanks for any helpful thoughts.

Oh, and last thing, the new poncho is fire engine red!! Great on rainy road walking days! Hmmmm....maybe call it 'Caesar'?:)

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
The longer the better, but not so long that you trip. :) My complaint about my Packa is that it is too short.

My Altus comes well below my knees and is wide enough for two! But it is fine on camino, and I've had no problem with it blowing out like a normal poncho would. I appreciate the extra width, firstly because I can fit my Aarn front pockets under it, and also because it allows some air flow to stop the "sauna" effect. The length means that if I hitch up my trousers (or skirt) they don't get wet.

I would not want it any shorter or tighter. Even though I look like a turtle in it.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
The longer the better, but not so long that you trip. :) My complaint about my Packa is that it is too short.
Agree. I've looked at the Packa a couple of times and that's why I looked for something else.

My Altus comes well below my knees and is wide enough for two! But it is fine on camino, and I've had no problem with it blowing out like a normal poncho would. I appreciate the extra width, firstly because I can fit my Aarn front pockets under it, and also because it allows some air flow to stop the "sauna" effect. The length means that if I hitch up my trousers (or skirt) they don't get wet.

I would not want it any shorter or tighter. Even though I look like a turtle in it.
Thanks for your thoughts. I like the air movement feature as well, and easy to put on and off as necessary through the day without stopping. For sure not a fashion statement!

Most read last week in this forum

Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...
With this device, you can pack everything you might want (including your fears) irrespective of weight.
I've stopped procrastinating and done my first pack. Was a bit nervous about being under 7kg hand luggage, but on the first try I've come to 5.9kg (13 pounds). (Not counting one set walking...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.