• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Altus Poncho In USA

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Arn, thank you for your post regarding ordering the Altus Poncho. I just placed mine!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Crhutch,

You will find that the folks on this Forum are here because they have an interest in everyone getting the most from their Camino in the least expensive and safest Way.

Buen one step at a time Camino
Arn

I ordered mine yesterday & they were rather quick about getting it out of Spain ASAP; however, it mucked around all day in East MIdlands, UK, arriving at 12:49 a.m., & leaving almost 24 hours later. :roll: Should get here (Texas) by Saturday, Monday at the latest!

Kelly

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
It was very easy to order the poncho & have it delivered. I would have received it last Friday, but was not home when DHL came by. They did make sure to stop by my house first thing Monday before I went to work, though. Not bad, considering I ordered the poncho on Wednesday & it came all that way so soon. I've yet to have an Amazon delivery arrive that quickly!

Kelly

I understand that is possible to order the poncho on-line.....I am wondering if it is possible to purchase it in Spain. Perhaps around Pamplona????

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
WolverineDG said:
IIRC, I think there is a Barrabas store in Pamplona or Logrono. I've seen a reference to some kind of outdoor store in Pamplona before.

Kelly

The Lonely Planet folks say there are a couple outdoor stores in Pamplona.Decathalon, in the outskirts, is a sports superstore open from 10-10. Take a taxi. In the historic district, look for Basati Kirolak (Plaza de Recoletos 5).

I am debating whether to splurge on the Altus poncho - I am travelling in late April...but price and wieght are issues...

"Ginn"
Under a Full Moon in Santa Fe

I walked in May 2007 & it rained every day for the first week & a half. The Camino was just a trail of mud, up to our ankles all day every day. It was miserable enough. I can't imagine being soaking wet on top of that. I got my Altus poncho. It doesn't seem too heavy & if it's raining as much in April as it was in May 2007, it will be worth its weight in gold. ;)

Kelly

I wonder if the Altos folk realise that it is the Caminos that has vastly increased their sales?

I love mine (well, ok, obviously not love of course) - I recently bought a cheap blue poncho and had the material used (doubled) to stitch an extra skirt all the way round so it is now ankle length - covers all the lower ends of my clothing so only my feet get wet and I really don't mind that (prefer sandals and I loathe wearing socks and boots - so constrictive) ...

could this be the end of two piece suits costing hundreds and hundreds of pounds?

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Br. David said:
I recently bought a cheap blue poncho and had the material used (doubled) to stitch an extra skirt all the way round so it is now ankle length - covers all the lower ends of my clothing so only my feet get wet and I really don't mind that (prefer sandals and I loathe wearing socks and boots .........

Hi Br. David,

Are you saying you the needed to add material to the Altus poncho?

I was considering getting one, but was wondering how people found them, who do wear boots & socks.
Do you end up up with sodden feet, possibly leading to blisters. It seems that "rain pants" would at least cover the tops of your boots in continous rain.

What has been the experience of others?

Col

No, no - not at all .. it was quite long anyway but I found that I could add 9 inches to the bottom and turn myself into a scout tent with me being the central pole! (it is really to do with the clothing that I personally wear and the bottom of it getting wet).

The Altus Poncho is quite full and therefore wonderfully airy underneath but as with any waterproof material the water necessarily runs down the outside (most important!) and off at the bottom :wink: - so it has to go somewhere. If you stand still in any waterproof outfit the water will drip off onto the ground - as soon as you move your clothing moves as well so it can wick onto exposed clothing.

Waterproof trousers are terrible things, don't you think? even the gortex ones - all enclosed and windless and sweaty ... awful, men end up with fungul infections and women with cystitus - awful thing, to cover up those areas in synthetic material (only cotton or silk or fine wool against the skin in 'sensitive' areas is the way to go) - but .. here's the thing - if you are concerned about the tops of your footwear getting wet what about spats ... errm, no, not spats .. errmm ... no 1920's man-about-town .. yes, what about gaiters? then you will be cool but covered ... :wink: and very sartorial too!

Br. David said:
... Waterproof trousers are terrible things, don't you think?

I've only ever worn them when skiing & then just for a short period in heavy snow.
This is our first long trek so we're "kitting" ourselves out for the first time.
As we're setting out from SJPP on April 17th, my thinking was that "over pants" might be also a good option if we face extreme cold. Never really gave much thought to the implications of heat, although some claim to be breathable.

Col

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Oh, then you don't want to take any advice from me - I'm not much of a walker compared to some serious serial caminoists - Johnny and Sil come to mind and I hope they put in to this thread from their experiences ..

it's just, well, for me, as little restrictive clothing as possible - I'd rather be 'cleanly' wet than sweaty and overheating - but, really, this is just my own personal opinion ... you might as well ask the next person that walks past you in the street!

(and this is the man who walked over the Napoleon Pass in deep snow sections in shorts and when I realised, at some ridiculous height, that I was rather cold and finally found a pile of stones large enough to be a windbreak to sit behind - wind was rather raging and it had started snowing sort of horizontally, though that didn't last long - to get at my pack to get the zip-on bits of my shorts to make them into trousers and also ALL the other clothing I had to put on I found I couldn't actually flex my hands and fingers and get them working into an 'open the rucksack' mode until I'd stuck them under my armpits for a bit and if I hadn't been so cold and brain not working quite right I might have been a little scared - but I was too stupid for that)
So don't take my advice!! :shock:

OK, my sweet spouse ordered the Altus poncho for me - he went online Saturday (or was it Sunday?) and it arrived here in sunny Santa Fe on Wednesday morning. Qucil service! And they included a sucker! :cool: Yep, a sweet lollipop!

I think I will looooove my poncho.

My spouse got me a size large, so there is lots of room. It falls below my calves and is quite loose. I love the zipper and velcro front (you can moderate the flow of air so you don't sweat). It is a bold, poppy red...boy will they see me coming! :cool: I believe I could use it as a small tent if I needed to! It is light wieght and the hood has a nice brim.

It is called a poncho, but it has underarm seams - the wind won't blow it up so easily.

I look like a crazed hunchback, no doubt...my friends have already dubed me "Ginnimodoa" (as in Quasimodo). I know I will be very grateful for this poncho when I am trekking through rainy, muddy Spain in a few months and my sweet spouse is here in the uSA, warm and dry. :cool:

OK...now I still must settle on an ultralight sleeping bag and acquire my pack (I am leaning toward the Gossmer Gear Miniposa).

Thanks again Sil...I appreciate your good advice! :cool:

"Ginn"
Watching the Full Moon Waning in Santa Fe

the bells the bells - there you go, ginnymodo gives a perfect description .. and there is strong liking there, which is what you feel when you put it on .. and that hunchy press-stud flap at the back that is so errmm , yes, 'hunchy' - makes a good gutter for run'off - and the hood is a proper hood with a brim and all - perfect -
though a bright red one .. hmm .. Spain ... Bulls .... Capes ... bright Red ... hmmmm ...... :? perhaps that is what the lollipop is for - a bribe :wink:

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi Ginn

vjpulver said:
My spouse got me a size large, so there is lots of room. It falls below my calves and is quite loose.
I'm 6.0 solid build, so would think Large Altus would be my size.
My wife is 5.9 solid build do you think the Large Altus would be OK?

Col

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I was going to order one of the ponchos that go over the backpack and is more fitted to the body for protection than just the regular one that would flop in the wind. However, is the Altus one more superior to these ones? The ones I was looking at are on ebay and run around $25 US...

All rain gear have positives and negatives...that said:

The Altus poncho covers pack and all...it's easy on and easy off...there's plenty of venting, so minor, if any sweating.

The only situation I had is that as I'd go up or down slopes...the lower edge would catch at my knees. I fixed this by pining back the leading edge on both sides.

Arn

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Howdy!
Do any of you USA pilgims have an Altus Poncho that they would be willing to part with (I would be happy to pay you for it, of course!)? I'm going in March and am sure to hit some rainy times!

If no luck with the above, any advice on how easy it would be to purchase one once on the ground in Barcelona or Pamplona? I hate the thought of having to order one all the way from Spain before I leave, but don't want to risk not finding one when I get there.

Thanks!
Brigitte

Just north of the Pamplona train station is a Decathelon store. They should have it.

Decathlon Pamplona
Avenida Guipuzcoa s/n 31013 Berriorzar, Navarra
Spain
948 30 95 95

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Browsing Decathlon's website, I don't see the Altus brand. There is a comparable Quechua poncho for 37€95.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Seems to me the Packa is nearly the same and available here ... http://www.thepacka.com
I used it for my Appalachian Trail hike and will be using it on the Camino. Mine just about covers my knees, but I am debating taking rain pants as well for April/May...

@Kitsambler-

The Ferrino Trekker looks perfect...thanks for the tip! One question-I'm 5'5". Should I order the S/Med or L/Xlg? Want it to be long enough to cover most of my legs (bringing gaters, as well), but don't want it so long as to stumble along the way.

Appreciate the advice!!

I am 5' 4" and I got Ferrino Trekker in the sm/med and it comes down to the bottom of my calf/top of my ankle. It is very roomy!!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
The problem I have with the Ferrino is that it does not open all the way down. I like just slipping my ALTUS off my arms and letting it hang off my pack. It doesn't fall off and then if it starts raining again, I can just slip my arms back in and voila!

Most read last week in this forum

My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
Hi. Shawn and Lainey are a lovely couple - so positive! - who now live in Galicia and have a Youtube presence "Days we Spend" with plenty of excellent and informative Camino videos - they are...
Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
I am finally embarking on my first camino later this year. I will be taking my Canon R6 camera with me. For others that have taken DLSR’s or mirrorless cameras, what lens or lenses did you find...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.