• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Altus poncho modification ...

nidarosa

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Enjoying the camino since 2009
... I know. Sacrilege. But - I went into the Norwegian woods for a trial St Olav pilgrimage with my friend. I have a spare Altus, which I lent to her to try thinking she would love it and have time to buy one before our big adventure next year. She normally uses a Helsport poncho, which is like the traditional poncho, with enough room for a 50/60 litre pack underneath but no designated hump for the pack. It also has wide sleeves that fall down to her wrist but allow for a lot more airflow than the Altus sleeves. Both our arms were always soaked with condensation in the Altuses; I don't think they were leaking, but it's hard to tell, it was dripping on the inside of the sleeves. The rest was dryish and comfortable. At the end of the walk she handed me the spare Altus back with thanks and said she preferred the Helsport just for the ventilation. Soooo I was thinking ...

*ducks in case people start throwing bits of rock hard bocadillo in my direction*

... what if I cut the elasticated cuffs off and leave the sleeves to be a lot wider and a bit shorter, in the interest of ventilation? Do you think that would work? The material would probably not fray too much, but I can sew the edges and seal the seams. I just thought a 10-15 cm shorter, wider sleeve might be better - they are very long on me anyway. I don't really want a different poncho, as I prefer the zipped front on the Altus and the way I can leave it open, hanging on the pack, to dry. But both are old style Altuses, so I don't want to ruin them ...

Any comments? Has anyone done this - or thought about it?

Linda

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I'd say you've got nothing to lose in making something custom fit yourself. Maybe put the poncho on with your pack and have someone else mark where the cut should go - I'm sure you'll remember to leave enough fabric for the seam.

Thanks, Kiwi, unfortunately we live in different countries, but the trick is just leaving the sleeves long enough to cover whatever clothing you have underneath, so wrist length when arms are hanging down and with pack on underneath (pack worked a treat, by the way). Using trekking pole will still be doable without the rain blowing straight in, I hope, and if it doesn't, I won't get any more soaked than I do already. I am very tempted. I'll let you know how this goes - I do like doing my bit for science ... :D

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
nidarosa said:
Thanks, Kiwi, unfortunately we live in different countries,

I'd pop over and help you if I were closer!!!!

Condensation inside is a problem on many ponchos. I mentally calculate how wet I will get in the rain, and use the Altus as just a pack cover in light rain. My Packa has huge zippers under the arms, but it is not enough to prevent condensation. I doubt that the modification will solve the problem, but give it a try!!!

Linda, modifying the Altus is definitely worth trying. We experienced the same condensation issues in the sleeves last year - I alternated between taking the sleeves off and putting them back on again when the rain started in again - but more ventilation in the sleeves would be extremely helpful. My husband has been modifying store-bought gear for decades. If your solution doesn't work, (unless you've cut off fabric) you can always re-sew the garment to, well, "factory" condition.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I haven't altered an Altus but have altered a poncho I bought a few years ago from Decathlon. It was far too big so I took in the side seams, shortened the sleeves and reattached the Velcro fasteners, added a peak at the front and put a couple of pleats at the back of the hood to stop it riding down my forehead.

It survived the operation with no ill effects and has now accompanied me on numerous pilgrimages and long distance walks.

So ... go for it! The Altus doesn't suit your purposes at the moment and, if it doesn't work out the way you envisage, you can always use the spare one.

Hi everyone, thanks for your very encouraging replies! The question now is whether to start on the poliamida or poliester one, or the red or the woodsy green one - I like that the red one makes me easier to find if I am lost or need finding, but the green one melts into the landscape, which is good too. I will be walking St Olav's Way, which is much less travelled, next year and think I might opt for the 'easy to spot' version. Or does anyone have advice on the differences between the poliamida or poliester versions? Both 'old' versions, about 500 grammes weight (until I cut them, that is :D ). If this works, I might do both of them.

Rohan ponchos have poppers where the sleeves' seams are, which you might like to consider. Ours are old style, poppered without sleeve shaping. Good ventilation and keep us dry. The sleeved version comes further down the wrist.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi, Tia, I have had a look at them and they do look good, but I really like the zip at the front of the Altus - plus I've already got one so no added cost. But out of interest, would the popper solution hold up even in strong winds, like the mountains in Norway? One advantage of the zipped up and sleeved Altus is that it is less flappable in the wind.

I was thinking that you could popper your Altus as a modification rather than buying a new poncho. Our poppers seem strong enough, but if you are buying some to use then you can check their strength. These are not the little metal press studs that some clothes have, or the plastic duvet cover closures. They are more heavy duty. I had some, years ago, that were knocked onto the cloth using a cotton reel and hammer, no stitching to break/undo. They did not pull apart by accident!!!! and if they eventually wore a bit then the metal centre stud could be tapped and slightly flattened to make a tight fit again. You would need a good haberdashers - I think Newey made them.

Thanks, Tia! Oooh, there is no rule that says that a zipped Altus can't also have poppers down the side ... or on the sleeves! I will have to mull this over a bit!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Are poppers what we in the U.S. would call snaps? If so I think this would be a great idea. I might try it on my Altus. Or maybe some of pieces of Velcro instead.

Has anyone considered adding "pit zips" to the Altus?
These are the zippers under the sleeves that can be opened to vent heat and moisture without letting rain in.

I would think this would be a fairly straight forward sewing job (what do I know?).

I may ask a friend about doing this to mine to test it out.

Rambler

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I also would love to have pit zips in my poncho but think that would be quite a major modification, based on what they look like in my other, coat-style rain gear.

Perhaps you could start off with your idea of shortening the sleeves and leaving them open, see if that provides sufficient increased ventilation, and if not, then add the poppers/snaps?

Unrelated to the sleeve condensation problem but another way to improve ventilation is to use a wide brimmed hat instead of the hood, which I find acts much like a stopper in a bottle in holding in steam and heat :oops:

Cheers

Murray

Good point - sure, this flaw is the same for all non-breathable material sleeves and is a real downside of a poncho.

I use the Altus and find that my arms only sweat when I am walking (fairly obvious) so I slide my arms inside the poncho and use it as a cape, as it were, which leaves the empty sleeves to use for when I am standing around
seems to work fine (until I want to scratch my nose)

Sorry to bother but can you put on here where I can order the Altus? I am in America now but have a London address to send it to if needed? Leaving for SJ on Sept 9th.
Thank you so much...wanting to get this done ASAP and checked off my list! :) So far all bought fits in a Shoe/Boot Box...YEAH!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I have been trying to order the Altus from the barrabes.com website at http://www.barrabes.com/int/home.asp - because they deliver to Canada and the US as well... apparently in less than a week! It seems straightforward until i enter my address and I get asked for an ID / Business Number which I don't have... so I've sent an email to customer service asking how to deal with this... if anyone has any ideas or has encountered this before, I'd appreciate your help. thanks,
Margaret
(Canada)

Most read last week in this forum

Hi there, I’m starting my first Camino Frances early May, and I don’t know whether I need hiking poles or not? I’m 26 years old, relatively fit and don’t have any injuries (yet!) I used poles for...
My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
Hi. Shawn and Lainey are a lovely couple - so positive! - who now live in Galicia and have a Youtube presence "Days we Spend" with plenty of excellent and informative Camino videos - they are...
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
I am finally embarking on my first camino later this year. I will be taking my Canon R6 camera with me. For others that have taken DLSR’s or mirrorless cameras, what lens or lenses did you find...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.