• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Altus Poncho Observations

Time of past OR future Camino
planning for spring 2018
I recently bought an Altus Atmospheric poncho and wanted to give my observations on this fine product. I ordered it on Amazon U.K. (England) and had it shipped to Sacramento CA which took four days with the more expensive fast shipping. I ordered the largest size available which is exlg/2exlg which cost more than the other sizes. I am a 6' 1" and 195 lb man which is almost emaciated for fast food loving Americans. It comes halfway down my shins and fits me fine.. The prices on Amazon U.K. are in English pounds which have to be converted to American dollars. With the more expensive largest size and fast shipping the total price was about $75 American. It would be about $15-20 cheaper for smaller sizes and standard shipping. I wanted to get it before my El Camino rather than buying one in St.John and risk it not being available or not having the proper size. I considered getting the similar American made Packa Jacket but it is almost twice as expensive and it is more of a jacket than a poncho which doesn't extend down as far as the Altus. The Packa would required using rain pants or gaiters in conjunction with the jacket and I think I can do without those things using the Altus.

The quality of the Altus Atmosheric is very good. I am not sure where it is made, possibly Spain, as Altus is a Spanish company which sells high end gear for backpacking and hiking. All the seams are tape sealed, it has a full length YKK zipper (the best brand) down the front, arm sleeves, chest air vents, a well designed hood, extra material in back to cover packs which snaps down when not needed and it is made of coated 70d polyester. It is totally waterproof but not breathable.

I got a chance to test it today as it has been monsoon like here the last month which is a welcome change from the last five years of drought here in California. Feast or famine I guess. I hiked about 5 miles, part of which was a steep 35 degree slope up one side of the well known Foresthill bridge in Northern California, over the bridge, and down the other side wearing the Altus all the way. Vin Diesel (or a stunt man) jumped a Corvette off the bridge in the movie TripleX. It is the highest bridge in California at 740 feet above the North Fork of the American River. Check out Foresthill bridge on Wiki and you will see what I mean.

The Altus performed very well on the hike. It rained on the way up and stopped before I got to the bridge but I left the poncho on for the way down and the rest of the hike. I got a little bit of sweat condensation on the shoulder areas on the poncho, not much, but this is unavoidable with any rain gear including supposedly breathable gor-tex , simply a matter of physics. Weather conditions were 52 degree F with light winds and 100% humidity. I wore the poncho over my day pack without having to unbuckle the snaps on the back to make more room, but I would have to unbuckle them for a larger backpack. As always I used a ball cap in conjunction with the hood of the poncho to help keep the rain out of my face

Anyway very pleased with the Altus Atmosheric poncho and God willing I will use it on the El Camino and also for hiking and backpacking here in Northern California.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
formerly welcome,

I walked my first Camino last year. Took a light poncho with snap fasteners up each side. Repeatedly blew open or pulled open by branches, drove me crazy. Just got an Altus poncho and have tested it. Summer here in Sydney now so a fair bit of condensation wearing only a t-shirt (no pack)! Another reason to walk in cooler weather. There probably should be a few vents around the armpits, might have some put in by a genius guy who makes pro camping gear up here where I live west of Sydney in the Blue Mountains. My rain jacket has huge zippered vents under the arms - wonderful. Also, Altus poncho doesn't have any pockets. Where do I put my gloves in cold weather when I get my camera out? Good hood, but as you, I wear a peaked cap or baseball cap as well to keep the rain off my glasses, hood not enough. All in all, very happy with the Altus.

I know each Camino is different, and each month in northern Spain has its own weather patterns. My Caminos have all been through the months of June through September. Over 120 days on it. Of that 120 or so days, maybe rained on 4 of them. Two days for sure I remember heavy rain, and the other two light rain. My last Camino zero rain and the rain gear never left the pack. Any future Caminos I will only carry a $5 poncho I bought at Wal-Mart and it will be trashed binned in Santiago.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
@Mike Trebert where is this genius guy who makes things? For years I've wanted an Altus with pit zips. And in eVent fabric. My model (an old one) also has velcro cuffs, which I think are much better than the current model with elastic cuffs - the velcro means you can loosen the cuffs to allow some air to get in.

I agree about the elastic cuffs. The sleeves on my Altus were too long so I cut them off a bit and made my own Velcro cuffs. Works great. Not sure I would tackle the pit zips. Maybe pit vent flaps with Velcro. Let me know if the pit zips work out.

The velcro cuffs sound doable - would be better than my elastic cuffs. But zippered pit vents sound difficult for current very thin Altus poncho fabric. I'm thinking a permanent patch of some kind of sturdy netting might do the trick. Will check with my guy and see what he says and post here when I work it out, might take a while.

BTW, the very long zipper up the front of the Altus poncho worries me a bit - seems kind of delicate. I might sew a stop into it half way down my chest and just pull the whole thing over my head to get it on and off.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
My Altus most be showing ita age as its zipper is flimsy and it was no vents. So maybe the gods are listening and the product will keep evolving. Even then, I would not be causht on the Camino with out ot.

What I do to minimise condensation and sweat is to only zip to the hips or so and carry an umbrella (obviously zipping firther up depend on wind and rain direction). This keeps me and my pack nice and dry, and ventilated. LOVE my Euroschrim umbrella.

@Mike Trebert where is this genius guy who makes things? For years I've wanted an Altus with pit zips. And in eVent fabric. My model (an old one) also has velcro cuffs, which I think are much better than the current model with elastic cuffs - the velcro means you can loosen the cuffs to allow some air to get in.
You might want to look at the Packa. A couple that I walked with had them, and the design is great.
I made myself a "Parcho" from a kit I bought from Quest Outfitters. The sleeves are very loose fitting, so I didn't have any problem with sweating.

I recently bought an Altus Atmospheric poncho and wanted to give my observations on this fine product. I ordered it on Amazon U.K. (England) and had it shipped to Sacramento CA which took four days with the more expensive fast shipping. I ordered the largest size available which is exlg/2exlg which cost more than the other sizes. I am a 6' 1" and 195 lb man which is almost emaciated for fast food loving Americans. It comes halfway down my shins and fits me fine.. The prices on Amazon U.K. are in English pounds which have to be converted to American dollars. With the more expensive largest size and fast shipping the total price was about $75 American. It would be about $15-20 cheaper for smaller sizes and standard shipping. I wanted to get it before my El Camino rather than buying one in St.John and risk it not being available or not having the proper size. I considered getting the similar American made Packa Jacket but it is almost twice as expensive and it is more of a jacket than a poncho which doesn't extend down as far as the Altus. The Packa would required using rain pants or gaiters in conjunction with the jacket and I think I can do without those things using the Altus.

The quality of the Altus Atmosheric is very good. I am not sure where it is made, possibly Spain, as Altus is a Spanish company which sells high end gear for backpacking and hiking. All the seams are tape sealed, it has a full length YKK zipper (the best brand) down the front, arm sleeves, chest air vents, a well designed hood, extra material in back to cover packs which snaps down when not needed and it is made of coated 70d polyester. It is totally waterproof but not breathable.

I got a chance to test it today as it has been monsoon like here the last month which is a welcome change from the last five years of drought here in California. Feast or famine I guess. I hiked about 5 miles, part of which was a steep 35 degree slope up one side of the well known Foresthill bridge in Northern California, over the bridge, and down the other side wearing the Altus all the way. Vin Diesel (or a stunt man) jumped a Corvette off the bridge in the movie TripleX. It is the highest bridge in California at 740 feet above the North Fork of the American River. Check out Foresthill bridge on Wiki and you will see what I mean.

The Altus performed very well on the hike. It rained on the way up and stopped before I got to the bridge but I left the poncho on for the way down and the rest of the hike. I got a little bit of sweat condensation on the shoulder areas on the poncho, not much, but this is unavoidable with any rain gear including supposedly breathable gor-tex , simply a matter of physics. Weather conditions were 52 degree F with light winds and 100% humidity. I wore the poncho over my day pack without having to unbuckle the snaps on the back to make more room, but I would have to unbuckle them for a larger backpack. As always I used a ball cap in conjunction with the hood of the poncho to help keep the rain out of my face

Anyway very pleased with the Altus Atmosheric poncho and God willing I will use it on the El Camino and also for hiking and backpacking here in Northern California.

Better still, God willing, you WON'T need to use it on your Camino!

Don't get me wrong, I love(d) my Altus (bought mail order from Sarria) even despite the fact that the logo is printed upside down to the point where I humped it right across Spain in August-September last year where the temperature averaged 32 degrees (90 to those of you who still use English units) right up until the last day when it POURED with rain.
We walked packless from O Pedrouzo to SdC. I arrived just as wet under the Altus as were my exposed calves and ankles. My friend Jo wore a snap closed poncho as described by Mark and stayed dry.
I'm now wondering if I've carried my Altus on three Caminos all in vain.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I haven't used an Altus, but saw them along the way. To me, they seemed big and bulky to carry and only to have a single function. I decided on a rain jacket which was smaller, lighter and also good for just wind protection, holding in the warmth of my fleece insulation. I could wrap it around my waist when I took it off, too. I don't see the Altus as part of a practical layering system. Not to mention looking like a human circus tent, walking around in the city.

I haven't used an Altus, but saw them along the way. To me, they seemed big and bulky to carry and only to have a single function. I decided on a rain jacket which was smaller, lighter and also good for just wind protection, holding in the warmth of my fleece insulation. I could wrap it around my waist when I took it off, too. I don't see the Altus as part of a practical layering system. Not to mention looking like a human circus tent, walking around in the city.
Apparently good as a changing bag and, I'm told, a cover up for ladies peeing on the Mesata . . .

I carried a poncho - Sea to Summit, nylon 367gms from Seville to Santiago. And it poured on several days! Never used it! I walk in shorts - legs dry eventually and used a lightweight trekking umbrella (http://www.helinox.com.au/umbrellas) to keep the top half dry, even when wearing a non waterproof fleece. I think this company has some link to the Euroschirm umbrellas). I never suffered from condensation! I'm a convert to trekking umbrellas (not so good in the wind here in Wellington, New Zealand - but then the wind here is extreme and a poncho would quickly turn you into a kite anyway) Each to his own though!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I carried a poncho - Sea to Summit, nylon 367gms from Seville to Santiago. And it poured on several days! Never used it! I walk in shorts - legs dry eventually and used a lightweight trekking umbrella (http://www.helinox.com.au/umbrellas) to keep the top half dry, even when wearing a non waterproof fleece. I think this company has some link to the Euroschirm umbrellas). I never suffered from condensation! I'm a convert to trekking umbrellas (not so good in the wind here in Wellington, New Zealand - but then the wind here is extreme and a poncho would quickly turn you into a kite anyway) Each to his own though!
In addition to my Parcho (204gr/7.2 oz), I carried a Euroschirm handsfree umbrella, which was great in the rain, but even better to block the sun.

So many threads over the years about Altus! We've used ours for years of camino walking and wouldn't go with out them. Labelled 'poncho' Altus is actually a raincoat with sleeves and is definitely multi functional, and IS excellent on windy days or for warmth on cold days.

It is rather weighty (400gms+) and looks a bit like a tent. In fact it can be used as a tent or sunshade!! It covers the backpack as well. Many uses. . .

How do you carry an umbrella if you use walking poles? Is there a way?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Yes, I'm interested in knowing more about trekking umbrellas. Will visit that site.

It's a pity the Altus is labelled as a poncho because it's not, it is a raincoat with sleeves. 'formerly' I'm guessing yours is the same.

formerly welcome,

I walked my first Camino last year. Took a light poncho with snap fasteners up each side. Repeatedly blew open or pulled open by branches, drove me crazy. Just got an Altus poncho and have tested it. Summer here in Sydney now so a fair bit of condensation wearing only a t-shirt (no pack)! Another reason to walk in cooler weather. There probably should be a few vents around the armpits, might have some put in by a genius guy who makes pro camping gear up here where I live west of Sydney in the Blue Mountains. My rain jacket has huge zippered vents under the arms - wonderful. Also, Altus poncho doesn't have any pockets. Where do I put my gloves in cold weather when I get my camera out? Good hood, but as you, I wear a peaked cap or baseball cap as well to keep the rain off my glasses, hood not enough. All in all, very happy with the Altus.
Hi Mike. Let's face it, rain is just a pain in the butt and no solution is perfect. I have a nice Marmot rain jacket with pit zips that is supposedly breathable and I still get condensation. I am not a big fan of Gore-Tex gear because it seems that once they get contaminated with dirt or perspiration they don't breath very well. Also with rain jackets your pack straps get wet, and what are straps made of--absorbent foam which takes forever to dry. With a rain jacket you need rain pants and a rain cover for the pack which adds up to about the same weight as a poncho. Several years ago I tried a Dri-Ducks poncho with snaps up the side at one on the windiest places on the west coast of the U.S.-Point Reyes national Seashore just north of San Francisco. It was a disaster. Like you the snaps pulled open and my arms got wet because it had no sleeves like the Altus poncho/jacket. At one point the entire poncho blew up over my head as the rain was pouring down and I was descending a steep hill. I couldn't see, my arms were flailing about trying to control the poncho and I got totally soaked, except for my head which was covered by the flapping poncho. My hiking buddy though it was funny, but somehow I didn't see the humor of the situation. It is a personal choice between a rain suit or a poncho, but I'll take the Altus poncho for the El Camino and put up with a little sweat condensation. :)!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Mike. Let's face it, rain is just a pain in the butt and no solution is perfect. I have a nice Marmot rain jacket with pit zips that is supposedly breathable and I still get condensation. I am not a big fan of Gore-Tex gear because it seems that once they get contaminated with dirt or perspiration they don't breath very well. Also with rain jackets your pack straps get wet, and what are straps made of--absorbent foam which takes forever to dry. With a rain jacket you need rain pants and a rain cover for the pack which adds up to about the same weight as a poncho. Several years ago I tried a Dri-Ducks poncho with snaps up the side at one on the windiest places on the west coast of the U.S.-Point Reyes national Seashore just north of San Francisco. It was a disaster. Like you the snaps pulled open and my arms got wet because it had no sleeves like the Altus poncho/jacket. At one point the entire poncho blew up over my head as the rain was pouring down and I was descending a steep hill. I couldn't see, my arms were flailing about trying to control the poncho and I got totally soaked, except for my head which was covered by the flapping poncho. My hiking buddy though it was funny, but somehow I didn't see the humor of the situation. It is a personal choice between a rain suit or a poncho, but I'll take the Altus poncho for the El Camino and put up with a little sweat condensation. :)!
Thanks fm,
I'm a bit of a gear junkie - I have 3 pairs of gloves. Be careful with the political references. I was censored a few times (once for mentioning a person whose name rhymes with .......) before I got used to the rules. You might find that your last sentence will disappear fairly soon. BTW, I'm an American citizen as well as Australian, so have a very personal interest in certain events which shall remain nameless except in a personal conversation as a separate thread. At top right above, there's a pulldown menu under "Inbox". Click on "Start a new conversation" for anything volatile. Not necessary now. Thanks for your reply. Good luck with .........

Mike

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
formerly welcome,

Hi Mike. I saw this post along with what Kanga said about her Altus and wondered when and how you purchased them. I tried via the web last year (early in the year) but was unsuccessful. I ended up buying a Ferrino via Canada which disappointed me. I always wanted an Altus Atmospheric and am still keen to buy one. Any advice would be welcome. Many thanks. Gaz.

Hi @Garry Franks,
I ordered mine from Caminoteca in Pamplona. http://caminoteca.com You might deal directly with Raul Arce Archbold. Their online payment system was down for a few weeks late last year but I waited and OK for me after that. I wondered whether I might need an XL because I carry a camera clipped to my chest. Raul emailed and said this:

"Please answer the following two questions:

1. How tall are you? If you are taller than 180-185 cm and
2. how big is your backpack? If it is bigger than 40-50 liters,

You would need the xl/xxl, otherwise go for the m/l."

I'm about 180 cm (5' 11") and carry a smallish pack (and the camera up front) and the M/L is a bit generous but fine. It's big enough to let some air circulate, a good thing. XL/XXL must be enormous.

I'm a BIT disappointed in that there's more condensation than expected (in warm weather, might be OK in cool seasons when I walk). I will have mesh vents added at armpits and will have the cuffs modified to remove the very non-adjustable/non-venting elastic, and add velcro straps.

Buen Camino, - Mike

Hi @Garry Franks,
I ordered mine from Caminoteca in Pamplona. http://caminoteca.com You might deal directly with Raul Arce Archbold. Their online payment system was down for a few weeks late last year but I waited and OK for me after that. I wondered whether I might need an XL because I carry a camera clipped to my chest. Raul emailed and said this:

Please answer the following two questions:

1. How tall are you? If you are taller than 180-185 cm and
2. how big is your backpack? If it is bigger than 40-50 liters,

You would need the xl/xxl, otherwise go for the m/l.

I'm about 185 cm (5' 11") and carry a smallish pack (and the camera up front) and the M/L is a bit generous but fine. It's big enough to let some air circulate, a good thing. XL/XXL must be enormous.

I'm a BIT disappointed in that there's more condensation than expected (in warm weather, might be OK in cool seasons when I walk). I will have mesh vents added at armpits and will have the cuffs modified to remove the very non-adjustable/non-venting elastic and add velcro straps.

Buen Camino, - Mike
Thanks for that Mike. Sounds like the alterations you are looking at would be the go. I may need to look at same. Garry.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Greetings fellow Wellingtonian! - I was looking at the Sea to Summit also. But when did you walk? I am starting 1 April. Do you think it will be adequate for then?

Greetings fellow Wellingtonian! - I was looking at the Sea to Summit also. But when did you walk? I am starting 1 April. Do you think it will be adequate for then?
Hi JFK,

If you see my post #2 above, I mentioned a poncho with fasteners up each side. It's a Sea to Summit. I don't know if it's the same one you're talking about. I found it to be almost useless in the wind. Try refastening the tiny snap fasteners in the rain and howling wind when everything is wet and sticky. I replaced a few bits of gear when I got back - Altus poncho was first on the shopping list. The Altus poncho is really an extra long raincoat with a hump to fit over a pack. The Altus seems de rigueur for Camino because when it blows you want something that works. I assume that the Altus was designed for Camino walking, including The Meseta. I can't imagine using poles and an umbrella but some folks seem to do that. I use a camera often and only have two hands.

Mike

I've tried to stay committed to my Altus, but after 4 caminos using it, I've decided that when I set off this March, I will try a treking umbrella & light rain jacket. Tired of being as wet under the Altus from condensation as on the outside from the rain! I do use poles so I've been testing the Euroschirm handsfree umbrella (clips to the pack straps and belt). So far, great in the rain and wind! I will miss my Altus in one way though...it makes an excellent ground cover / picnic blanket!

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I've tried to stay committed to my Altus, but after 4 caminos of using it, I've decided that when I set off this March, I will try a treking umbrella & light rain jacket. Tired of being as wet under the Altus from condensation as on the outside from the rain! I do use poles so I've been testing the Euroschirm handsfree umbrella (clips to the pack straps and belt). So far, great in the rain and wind! I will miss my Altus in one way though...it makes an excellent ground cover / picnic blanket!
I won't use my Altus without adding vents to the armpits and taking the elastic out of the cuffs. I have a perfectly good rain jacket but I won't use a pack rain cover - don't like them they're almost useless and a nuisance IMHO. I've only walked one Camino, but it was the full CF and it rained A LOT last year. I'm pretty much devoted to walking in cooler weather, cannot understand people who choose to walk in Spanish summer - some folks have strong reasons for that and in many cases not much choice, I assume. Again, each of us has different needs and preferences.

I've edited a couple of posts, as expected, with political content. Please be aware that what is funny to one person can be insulting to another. In this very divided world the moderators and Ivar do get complaints from upset people, we are not trying to nit-pick. Or should that be bedbug-pick?

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
One thing to keep in mind when you read opinions about the Altus is that the "old" altus is different from the "new" one, both in terms of features like velcro closures at the wrist, as well as more important features like the amount of rain the material can resist. I know that some of the high end sporting good stores in Spain (including Barrabés and one store I visited in Santiago, which told me this was a general trend) have stopped carrying Altus because they concluded that the new version (maybe that's the atmospheric, but I'm not sure) was not up to their standards. But it seems we have a lot of satisfied customers of the new version!

In any event, I have an old Altus, a new Altus, a Decathlon version of the Altus, and a Ferrino. Some were given to me, others I have bought over the years. I think the old Altus and the Decathlon version are superior, but I didn't really like the Decathlon version either (too heavy, length not as good for me). So I've been sticking with my old Altus and will probably do so again this year. I usually bring a rain jacket in addition, because I have felt rather ridiculous floating around a town in the rain after walking with many square meters of poncho flapping in the wind.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I use a Euroschrim hands free umbrella and two poles.
I'm sure using two poles is better, but I like keeping one hand free to grab my camera at any given moment, except when carrying my umbrella. I plan to look into the Euroschrim so many of you really like. I take LOTS of photos!

One thing to keep in mind when you read opinions about the Altus is that the "old" altus is different from the "new" one, both in terms of features like velcro closures at the wrist, as well as more important features like the amount of rain the material can resist. I know that some of the high end sporting good stores in Spain (including Barrabés and one store I visited in Santiago, which told me this was a general trend) have stopped carrying Altus because they concluded that the new version (maybe that's the atmospheric, but I'm not sure) was not up to their standards. But it seems we have a lot of satisfied customers of the new version!

In any event, I have an old Altus, a new Altus, a Decathlon version of the Altus, and a Ferrino. Some were given to me, others I have bought over the years. I think the old Altus and the Decathlon version are superior, but I didn't really like the Decathlon version either (too heavy, length not as good for me). So I've been sticking with my old Altus and will probably do so again this year. I usually bring a rain jacket in addition, because I have felt rather ridiculous floating around a town in the rain after walking with many square meters of poncho flapping in the wind.
G'day peregrina2000. What did you think of the Ferrino?

Hi, Garry,
I bought the Ferrino and wore it on the Camino de Levante. Fortunately, it only rained for a total of about 5 hours from Valencia to Santiago, but every one of those hours was unpleasant in the Ferrino. I began to sweat almost immediately. I later learned from the forum that the Ferrino has a metallic lining whose purpose is to prevent hypothermia, so it will heat you up pretty quickly in warm weather. People I know in the outdoor world say the most important purpose of a rain poncho is not to keep you dry but to keep you from getting hypothermia. Of course on the camino in the summer, hypothermia is not a problem. If I were walking in winter I might use it again, but I think its metallic lining disqualifies it for summer walking. I should also add that I do not easily or usually sweat profusely since I'm in decent shape, but in that Ferrino I was a sweat machine. Buen camino, Laurie

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
G'day peregrina2000. What did you think of the Ferrino?

Hi Garry, I have a Ferrino (well now on my second one), It is pretty similar to the Altus in my opinion, but is lined with silver colouring. I marginally prefer it to the Altus, though there is not much diference.

Davey

Hi, Garry,
I bought the Ferrino and wore it on the Camino de Levante. Fortunately, it only rained for a total of about 5 hours from Valencia to Santiago, but every one of those hours was unpleasant in the Ferrino. I began to sweat almost immediately. I later learned from the forum that the Ferrino has a metallic lining whose purpose is to prevent hypothermia, so it will heat you up pretty quickly in warm weather. People I know in the outdoor world say the most important purpose of a rain poncho is not to keep you dry but to keep you from getting hypothermia. Of course on the camino in the summer, hypothermia is not a problem. If I were walking in winter I might use it again, but I think its metallic lining disqualifies it for summer walking. I should also add that I do not easily or usually sweat profusely since I'm in decent shape, but in that Ferrino I was a sweat machine. Buen camino, Laurie
Laurie, like you I have only walked one Camino - the Frances from mid-April last year and yes it rained a lot. I used a Ferrino and agree that it was one serious sweatbox and the hypothermia thing explains that well. Apart from the sweating I had a lot of trouble getting wet through the front zipper. It seemed that the velcro tabs on the flap over the zipper were too short in number and length as in strongish wind the rain blew in under the flap so I ended up wet down the front of my shirt and shorts (and fleece if I had one on). My walking mate had one too and same result. We ended up using them like a cape when the weather wasn't too heavy. Anyway I'll look closely at the Altus when I go on my next Camino. Thanks for the info. Garry.

I have Zpacks poncho/ground sheet /pack cover which is very durable. It has a shock cord belt to stop flapping and I added Velcro to the arms also to streamline. The arms are wide and if required I sourced some cuben fibre sleeves to give good protection. In torrential rain I use a rain wrap, even with that the total weight is about 5oz.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
@formerly multipurpose - thanks for the heads-up! I have given up trying to buy an Altus 'locally' ages ago and recently bought a Ferrino Hiker (not the heat reflecting one, the one with the hump and no zip) which I have yet to use. However an Altus ... I did have one or two many years ago but they weighed pretty much half a kilo and were way too big, I wish I had bought the small. So I have sold and donated them and tried out an over-the-head Helsport poncho last time. It worked well apart from the over-the-head bit, though it was probably a bit better ventilated than the Altus due to the large arm holes. Also with no zip, no zip can break. But again, an Altus ... I contacted Amazon and asked more questions, and it seems (please correct me if I am wrong) that this is the lightweight version, S3 or possibly the old RainLight series? and have ordered one. Fingers crossed it is as good as they used to be, I remember there was a bit of a negative press about them on the forum at one point which turned out to be based on a cheaper, flimsier Altus poncho and not the Atmospheric. I much prefer them to rain jacket and pack cover, and leave for Spain in a few weeks, so I am very happy!

So many options and opinions and much experience. The ultimate thread on the topic, and I do appreciate it. Okay. I'm bringing a cheap plastic poncho. I'll try my pricey REI E-vent rainjacket in the shower, over my pack, this weekend. (I've always wanted to take a shower in a raincoat to see what that's like. ) Based on that, I may buy an Altus, but only after I arrive in SJPP, or I may not.

Update on the Amazon.co.uk Altus purchase excitement: The red M/L Altus has arrived and it is the lighter weight one, weighing 330g (incl bag and tag), in polyester, with Altus RainSeries printed on the left hand side of the chest and also on the hump. It has all the usual drawcords, velcros, zip front and taped seams.
In comparison my black one in small, bought a good few years ago, weighs 230g (no bag or tag), is also polyester, has RainSeries printed on the right hand side and Altus on the left, and only a symbol on the hump.
They seem more or less the same size, both sleeves reach past my wrists so I can just about pull my hands in if needed, both reach my knee-ish with the red stretching just below - I am 1,78 tall and was carrying a 33 litre pack with a stuffed lid at the time). The red seems a bit more 'sticky' on the inside but that could be because it is brand new.
The Ferrino Hiker I bought is made from polyamide and has no zip or sleeves, so I am left unprotected from the elbow down. I could pull my arms into the poncho but I need to use my poles due to rubbish knee, so it is no longer ideal for me. Oddly it seems the same sort of size though it is a L/XL ... and also weighs 330g with bag and tag.
I know the world doesn't need another thread on Altuses (Alti?) but there it is, if anyone feels tempted to buy the ones on Amazon UK. I am very happy with it - now my husband and I both have very lightweight ones for when we go away together, and I have a lightweight red one for walking near traffic or far from people, where it is good to be visible.

€149,-
Update on the Amazon.co.uk Altus purchase excitement: The red M/L Altus has arrived and it is the lighter weight one, weighing 330g (incl bag and tag), in polyester, with Altus RainSeries printed on the left hand side of the chest and also on the hump. It has all the usual drawcords, velcros, zip front and taped seams.
In comparison my black one in small, bought a good few years ago, weighs 230g (no bag or tag), is also polyester, has RainSeries printed on the right hand side and Altus on the left, and only a symbol on the hump.
They seem more or less the same size, both sleeves reach past my wrists so I can just about pull my hands in if needed, both reach my knee-ish with the red stretching just below - I am 1,78 tall and was carrying a 33 litre pack with a stuffed lid at the time). The red seems a bit more 'sticky' on the inside but that could be because it is brand new.
The Ferrino Hiker I bought is made from polyamide and has no zip or sleeves, so I am left unprotected from the elbow down. I could pull my arms into the poncho but I need to use my poles due to rubbish knee, so it is no longer ideal for me. Oddly it seems the same sort of size though it is a L/XL ... and also weighs 330g with bag and tag.
I know the world doesn't need another thread on Altuses (Alti?) but there it is, if anyone feels tempted to buy the ones on Amazon UK. I am very happy with it - now my husband and I both have very lightweight ones for when we go away together, and I have a lightweight red one for walking near traffic or far from people, where it is good to be visible.

Could you post the link please? I'm here in the states and would love to get one but hard to find from here. Thank you.

Could you post the link please? I'm here in the states and would love to get one but hard to find from here. Thank you.
I bought an Altus recently and was very disappointed. I've had to have zippered vents added to the armpits because there was so much condensation inside the poncho in warm weather. These vents cost me more than the poncho. There's also elastic cuffs instead of velcro-adjustable cuffs, so less control of ventilation/condensation. There's also no outside pocket on the Altus.

This current Altus design is not as good as the older, superseded design, according to some other posts on the forum by people who own the older design. You could try searching for previous posts. I bought an Altus because it has such a big reputation.

I'm thinking of getting a Packa http://www.thepacka.com/why-the-packa.html Live and learn.

Buen camino, - Mike

Thank you! Ordered today, will be here in Florida in 2-3 weeks. Have a friend who is a seamstress and she will fix the sleeves and install vents. We're going with velcro tabs to close the vents so I will let you all know how that works out. I'm walking the Camino in the fall so by the time I get near Santiago it will be mid to late October. I'm fairly sure the condensation at that point won't be as big of an issue

I ended up using an inexpensive plastic poncho and it worked fine over my small pack. The main consideration was keeping the boots and sock dry and I used the Frogg Toggs rainpants they worked well too. I would get lightweight waterproof gaiters next time, though, and skip the rain pants altogether.

The size of your pack really determines the kind of poncho you will need. I suppose Altus is good if you have a large backpack. I only had to deal with rain for 1 day in my two weeks of hiking so that's a factor as well. I did not use the Frogg Toggs rain jacket. Unnecessary. Also the temperature might play a role in your decision. If warm, you would want an airy poncho, nothing too fancy. I hope this adds to the discussion.

Buen Camino!
Mike

So pleased to read your comments! I bought an Altus on my last Camino 10 years ago after a week of rain. I felt then that if I needed to sleep rough I could - under my own "shell!" It's definitely coming for my late September - November Camino this year however at 5'2 tall I'm swamped in it so I also want to take my light rain jacket for usual layering rather thsn just having the Altus.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi. Does anyone know with either the Altus poncho or the Packa if you are still able to use a drink tube from a water bladder inside your pack?

@NinaB I can't see a reason why not - you would have to thread the tube from your pack under the Altus or Packa over your shoulder.

Just as an update, I was on the camino twice this year - the second time not a drop of rain the whole time so the Altus stayed at the bottom of my pack. However on the previous trip I did use it. Mine is now a very old Altus but I consider it way superior to the new ones, so I made the effort to re-seal all the seams. It is as ugly as sin and quite heavy. I can't find anything to replace it. Large and roomy (hence plenty of ventilation) but a raincoat shape so does not blow around in the wind, easy to pull on and off and leave hanging over the back of my pack, long enough so that other leg coverings are not needed, wide bat shaped sleeves with velcro cuffs to allow ventilation, full zip up the front so can be left half open.

In addition to the Altus I also take a Houdini jacket because it weights nothing. But useless in heavy rain. Good for wind.

I do have a good really weatherproof and breathable jacket that used to be my standard when on camino, but I no longer take it. The make or break for me is being able to pull the rain gear on and off at will.

I'm still waiting for the perfect rain gear. Waterproof. Breathable fabric. Lightweight. Altus shape so covers pack as well as body. Roomy and long. Easy to take on and off. Unaffected if windy. Pit zips. Two way zip up the front.

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.