• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Altus poncho readily available?

Eve Alexandra

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
2017 Astorga-SDC, April 2022 SJPP-Muxia
Is it safe to just assume I can pick up one of these in a shop in SJPP along with some poles? I usually make sure I have everything in hand so it’s making me nervous.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
That would be a rash assumption. It would be worth contacting one or more of the gear retailers in St Jean and arranging a pre-order. St J is just a small provincial French town where most Pelerin arrive with far to much gear and definitely not intending to go shopping for much more than lunch.
Happy planning
I can do that? Pre order? I would much prefer that! Can anyone share a name of a business I can contact?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Caminoteca in Pamplona sells Altus ponchos.
The shop is near the Cathedral and several albergues. Maybe you time to buy before heading to SJPdP or you can wait until passing through.

I was loaded with a big pack when I bought a pack cover. I think they would have refused to sell me anything else. Now that's a company I can trust.

Caminoteca in Pamplona sells Altus ponchos.
The shop is near the Cathedral and several albergues. Maybe you time to buy before heading to SJPdP or you can wait until passing through.

I was loaded with a big pack when I bought a pack cover. I think they would have refused to sell me anything else. Now that's a company I can trust.

I was googling the weight of the altus for my Lighterpack list and this site came up. I am going to be in Pamplona before SJPP. Once I know how long I'm going to be there, I may reserve with them. Good to know someone recommends them! Thanks.

There is a Decathlon about the same distance from the bus station as Caminoteca but Caminoteca is in a more colorful section of town (and the owner is a forum member). Another Decathlon is not too far from the train station.

Caminoteca
+34 948 21 03 16

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Are you going soon because they appear to be closed from November until February. Google Maps says Caminoteca is "temporarily closed" - and from their website:

View attachment 118731

You can still have a browse around to see the kind of stuff they sell though:

Inside the shop
It'll be end of March that I"m there so shouldn't be a problem.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
There is a Decathlon about the same distance from the bus station as Caminoteca but Caminoteca is in a more colorful section of town (and the owner is a forum member). Another Decathlon is not too far from the train station.
But I don't believe that Decathlon sells the Altus. They do have something similar, but it looks like it's heavier at 508 g (S/M) a 560 g (L/XL)

Or this one, which is lighter weight - 250 g (XXS/XS) a 340 g (L/XL), but lacks a full front zip.

I tried one without a full zip and didn't care for it. It's going back to the store. Is the Quechua one you linked as good as the Altus?
I really have no idea. I just was looking to see what Decathlon offers. The full zip one looks like it is definitely heavier than the Altus - that is if Caminoteca's stated weight of 343 grams is correct.

I really have no idea. I just was looking to see what Decathlon offers. The full zip one looks like it is definitely heavier than the Altus - that is if Caminoteca's stated weight of 343 grams is correct.
Mine weighs 445g including the bag though it is L/XL size.
I did hear they were being made out of lighter weight material now.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Both Caminoteca in Pamplona and Boutique in SJPP will hold an ALTUS for you if you contact them. Caminoteca is on Facebook. I've also found ALTUS ponchos in Zubiri and Sarria.
I bought mine online from Peregrinoteca in Sarria and wore it for a couple of years before I noticed the logo on the front was upside down! Presumably a "second" they fobbed off on a long distance buyer?

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I was googling the weight of the altus for my Lighterpack list and this site came up. I am going to be in Pamplona before SJPP. Once I know how long I'm going to be there, I may reserve with them. Good to know someone recommends them! Thanks.
They do speak English at Caminoteca and they are very nice. If you are going to be in Pamplona before hand if Caminoteca doesn't have what you need there is always Decathlon. I know there are two in Pamplona. There is a small one near the municipal albergue and the big one is out of town a little but an easy bus ride away. If you can get it at Caminoteca by all means support the little guy.

Is it safe to just assume I can pick up one of these in a shop in SJPP along with some poles? I usually make sure I have everything in hand so it’s making me nervous.
I preordered from a sporting shop right in SJPDP and they held it for me there so I was secure knowing that I had one. They are awesome at this store though I can't recall the name but I'm sure others will. It's just up form the camino office. Buen Camino.

Here you go...
Yes that is the one I ordered mine from. They were excellent in there and I'd definitely shop there again.
Here you go...

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Often its raining on the SJPDP to Pampalona stage and dry the rest if the 750klms so its the 1st few days only that u need worry about.

Often its raining on the SJPDP to Pampalona stage and dry the rest if the 750klms so its the 1st few days only that u need worry about.
On my second Camino it poured down from SJPP until Estella. Then we caught a break until Logrono. Rained upto Sto Domingo.
Next batch of rain was Astorga to Villafranca. Then rain again from Portomarin to Melide.
The OP is going in March, they will need rain protection.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
When it comes to weather, anything can happen.

On my first Camino, in the Autumn, the first drop of rain was in late morning of Day 25 as I walked out of Samos after a coffee break. I was elated ... as I'd started to feel I wouldn't have had a complete pilgrim experience without walking in the rain. I almost jumped in the air with excitement. It's raining! Yeah.

On my second Camino, in the Spring, on Day 6 in Villamajor de Monjardin we awoke to snow! Unexpected but so much fun walking those next few hours in light snow.

When I went in March the last time, we had a lot of rain in Galicia and a lot of snow on both sides of O Ceb. Being prepared for the rain is high priority for me. :)

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back