A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

See the full Camino Forum Store here with many more camino products.

Altus poncho repair help needed

Camino(s) past & future
Frances 2016; Mansill de las Mulas to Finisterre/Muxia 2017; Aragones 2018; Suso/Yuso, Meseta 2019
The seam sealing tape on my trusty Altus poncho is coming loose. Since the poncho is in otherwise good condition I would like to try to replace or reapply the tape. Does anyone know how or a product to use, @davebugg or @trecile perhaps?

D

Deleted member 67185

The seam sealing tape on my trusty Altus poncho is coming loose. Since the poncho is in otherwise good condition I would like to try to replace or reapply the tape. Does anyone know how or a product to use, @davebugg or @trecile perhaps?
Before applying seam tape, I might suggest using a seam seal product instead. You can even make a home batch with silicone caulk and thinner, if you choose. I’ll post some links below.

Seam sealing will remain flexible and tend not to crack or break down, and it is easier to apply. If you find that it doesn’t do the trick, then there are various places to purchase seam sealing tape which can go over the seam seal.

DeansFamily

Camino(s) past & future
Frances 18/916/10/17 Muxia/Finisterre 18/10-22/10/17 Norte 21/4-29/5/18 Primitive 20/9-5/10/18 VdlP
Silicone sealant! Fixes all the world’s problems and I have used it to seal suspect stitching and seams on a poncho. I just placed dabs on my finger and spread them down the seams about 5mm wider than the area you want to cover. You can thin it down with turps but if you doing running repairs you don’t need the extra expense.

trecile

Camino Addict
Camino(s) past & future
Francés (2016 & 2017), Norte (2018), Francés-Salvador-Norte (2019), Portuguese (2019)
Before applying seam tape, I might suggest using a seam seal product instead. You can even make a home batch with silicone caulk and thinner, if you choose. I’ll post some links below.

Seam sealing will remain flexible and tend not to crack or break down, and it is easier to apply. If you find that it doesn’t do the trick, then there are various places to purchase seam sealing tape which can go over the seam seal.

That was the method that I used to seal the seams of my homemade Parcho. It was quick and easy.

Penbaysail

Camino(s) past & future
(2017)
Advice on seam sealing is spot on, but there are 2 different sealants, depending whether the fabric is silnylon or polyurethane sealed nylon. I suspect that the Altus poncho is the latter, so you might check with the manufacturer. I’d be reluctant to use any iron-on tapes for risk of melting the nylon fabric. Good luck

jpflavin1

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
CF(10,11,17), Vasco(12), Salvador(13), CP(13), CN(14), Madrid (16), Mozarabe (18), VdlP(19)

Duct tape. Do not leave home w/o it! This will provide a quick and easy repair.

Last edited:

Get on our Mailing list for new products on the Camino Store and news from the Camino Forum

Advertisement

Booking.com

Camino Conversations

Camino Conversations

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

Most downloaded Resources

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 16 1.2%
  • February

Votes: 10 0.8%
  • March

Votes: 55 4.2%
  • April

Votes: 196 15.0%
  • May

Votes: 325 24.8%
  • June

Votes: 95 7.3%
  • July

Votes: 24 1.8%
  • August

Votes: 27 2.1%
  • September

Votes: 378 28.9%
  • October

Votes: 158 12.1%
  • November

Votes: 17 1.3%
  • December

Votes: 7 0.5%

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock