• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Altus poncho versatility?

ffp13

Addicted pilgrim
Time of past OR future Camino
Completed Caminos: 2009 SJPP, 2011 Roncessvalle , 2012 Pamploma, 2013 Roncessvalle, 2013 Porto, 2014 Burgos, 2014 Porto

Future: Roncessvalle
For my next Camino I have ordered an Altus poncho the type that goes over the backpack.

After my Camino I will travel to Vietnam (rainy season) but I won't be backpacking, can the poncho still be used without a backpack (or hunchback) or should I consider a normal poncho? I initially opted for the over backpack poncho because on my last Camino the backpack rain cover and rain jacket was not effective.

Thanks

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Firstly, the Altus is not strictly a poncho as it has sleeves. This makes it more durable than a normal poncho which blows around in the wind, and I have seen many ponchos left behind in albergues because thay have torn in a high wind. If it is windy you can hold your arms close to your sides and stop the flapping that a normal poncho would exhibit.

Secondly it has plastic clips on the inside of the coat which allows the wearer to shorten or lengthen it in the rear section, depending on whether you are wearing a backpack or not. So yes, I believe it would be suitable for the use you describe. I only wish they were made a little longer!

Buen camino

Alan

Be brave. Life is joyous.

I used an altus on the caminho Portuguese last spring and it performed perfectly in all conditions ... Very versatile, and comfortable. It does help to wear a baseball cap under the hood to better support the brim. It should be awesome in monsoon rains.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I just bought a rain poncho to use so I am curious what didn't work for you regarding the poncho. I think I have some extra long shoe laces to bring and use as a belt to stop the poncho from flying around in the wind too much.

Hola Terri,
Terrri said:
I just bought a rain poncho to use so I am curious what didn't work for you regarding the poncho. I think I have some extra long shoe laces to bring and use as a belt to stop the poncho from flying around in the wind too much.
I used a suoer-sil poncho in 2009 & an Altus in 2012. The super-sil has no sleeves, the altus does.
I found the super-sil very difficult to get on in a hurry with storms, blown around by the wind and arms exposed (if you use "poles"). However, the ventialation is good in the traditional poncho. The Altus was easier to use, kept you dryer but had condensation build up, in changeable weather, you could just let it swing off the back of your pack.
My preference was the Altus.
Buen Camino
Colin

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hola,

I have an Altus and it is very versatile and lightweight.

Can also be used for many things including a ground sheet for picnics an a sunny day. :D

Sharon

Yes, we've used Altus on three caminos and I wouldn't think of anything else. It is a bit weighty but so very versatile. We've walked in hours of rain, our packs and us stayed dry. Feet and boots didn't.

As others have said above, Altus is not a poncho, it has sleeves, even though it's named as an Altus Poncho, it's great against wind, as an extra blanket, a shade cloth, very versatile. Love it.

The Altus is a great poncho, but is not suitable for the larger framed pilgrim, due to the wet May some stores in Pamplona had sold out of ponchos, luckily I found a suitable XL alternative, one of two left in stock

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.