• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Altus Poncho

crad80

Time of past OR future Camino
Completed Camino Frances (2010 & 2013); Camino Portugues (2011)
Hi everyone,

I am planning on walking the Camino late March/early April of this year. I need to get an Altus poncho (size xl). I live in Los Angeles, CA, and I was wondering if anyone knows if the Altus poncho is sold in the USA? I tried searching the Web but was unable to locate on here in the US. Thanks in advance!!! :p

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi -

it's not sold in the US or in Canada either. Your choices are either pay the considerable shipping fee, or buy it when you get to Spain. But also check around the outdoors gear stores in the US and see if there is something else that fits your needs.

Good luck!

lynne

If you do a search, sillydoll had an excellent post a couple of years ago that linked to a store in Spain that sells the poncho. I ordered from it long after whatever sale it was she was talking about. I think I placed my order late Monday night & got the poncho Thursday afternoon (!!!), & that was without asking for express shipping! I don't think the shipping was that much either.

Perhaps things have changed in a couple of years, but I would go find sillydoll's post on it.

Kelly

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I just "ordered" the altus from Barrabes and the final price was 27.97 euro for the poncho and 44.12 euro for shipping (to Canada). Total 72.09 . That's a little steep for me, but if you're really set on getting the Altus beforehand, maybe it's worth it.

lynne

Hi Everyone;

Thanks so much for the useful information. No wonder I could not find out here in the USA. My plan now is to buy one when I arrive in Spain. I just hope they have my size and are not sold out. I guess the place to buy it from is Barrabes. Thanks again.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi - not sure where you're starting from, but Barrabes will send your order to 2 separate places in Madrid, other pilgrims here have bought them in SJPdP, Ponferrada, and likely other retail outlets. Peregrinoteca also has them, but they're also an online outfit.

lynne

Hi Lynne,

Thanks for your reply. It is greatly appreciated since this will be my first Camino walk. So Barrabes is an online store? That is nice to know so I won't be searching Madrid for a recreational equipment store that doesn't exist!!! You mentioned in your post that other pilgrams have bought their ponchos in St. Jean Pied-De-Port? Is there a local sporting goods store in St. Jean Pied-De-Port that you can recommend? I have everything I need for the Camino, except a water-proof poncho. Thanks again for your help and assistance. :)

The shipping costs from Peregrinoteca are much cheaper than Barrabes. I received mine in Australia in about a week. Final cost for poncho (due to removal of some Spanish taxes) = 25.42E; Shipping to Australia =16.94E.

Sue

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
SueH -
That's a much better shipping cost to Australia rather than Barrabes to Canada! Just checked and it's currently listed on Peregrinoteca at 33.90 E and shipping looks like it might be 19.99 to all foreign countries? Might be the VAT that was removed to bring the price down? So that looks better.

crad80 -
Haven't purchased one in SJPDP but I thought some forum members had - there was some discussion about it which I can't locate. Perhaps they bought other brands there.

So that's all I know, pilgrim.

Whichever option you pursue, I wish you sunny skies for your first camino :)

lynne

I tried to register with Sendas to buy the Poncho at half price but kept gettng a message 'Escriba unicamente números en el teléfono' whatever combination of phone number and area codes I entered. And this was a required field, so I couldn't register.
So I have emailed them to ask for help, in my fractured Spanish, which will be a challenge for them....! Failing which I'll have to go back to the Peregrinoteca or Barrabes - which seem to work out about 50 euros. I can't see any reference on either about tax reductions etc which reduce the price.
Paul

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Re: Altus Poncho in St Jean Pied de Port

You can buy the ALTUS in St Jean at either of the Direction Compostelle shops. http://www.directioncompostelle.com

They have them in red and blue S/M and L/XL for 39 euro

Send an email to Pierre to reserve one and collect it when you get there.
directioncompostelle@orange.fr

Both stores are open on Sunday.
Compostela Direction, 1 Place Floquet or Pilgrim's Boutique, 32 Rue de la Citadelle

can anyone who has used an altus tell me

how rainproof are they?
how wind proof?
do they offer any protection against the cold?
how heavy are they?

ta.

Rain cape for trekking and hiking. Ideal for multi-day hikes such as the Way of St. James.

35.59 euro from Barrabes.com

•Made in Polyamide Ripstop fabric
•1000 mm hydrostatic head
•Sealed seams
•Front zip with protective Velcro flap
•Drawcord adjust at hood
•Elastic and Velcro cuff closures
•Hood with visor
•Convertible back for use with and without a backpack
•Transport bag.
•Front ventilation

Weight:
•S/M: 430g / 0.947 pounds / 15.16 ounces
•L/XL: 500g / 1.102 pounds / 17.63 ounces

Sizing:
•The larger size is for users over 170cm
•The length of the smaller size is 104cm (105cm from top of zip to bottom)
•Both sizes have a very generous cut.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Ah, the Altus poncho discussion, I will just jump in with one comment. Like most of the discussions on this board, there are very strong opinions on both sides and in the final analysis, this is a matter of experience and choice. I personally prefer a traditional poncho with snap-able flaps on the side because I find that it gives me the ventilation I need.

I have purchased a couple of Altus ponchos for friends at the Barrabes store in Madrid and have walked with people who have been wearing them. And this is what I can tell you as an observer. These ponchos are not breathable, but that's not a criticism, because I don't believe any rain ponchos are. This means that whether or not the poncho gathers moisture inside will depend on how much the walker is sweating and how tightly closed it is. Not to be indelicate here, but in part that will have to do with body weight and how fit the walker is.

So I know some people who can walk in the rain with an Altus poncho and stay dry. I know others who acquire a real puddle of water in the bottom of the backpack "bubble."

These observations have led me to conclude that I'm better off with my square poncho that gives me control over how much air to let in and how much perspiration to let out. But to each his/her own. Laurie

We are with Laurie here. Also I was a bit shocked at the weight of the Altus (thanks for the info Sil).
My poncho (one size fits all) only weighs 340gms and my waterproof trousers 200gms so combined weight is little more than the Altus alone. At 5'4" I hardly need the trousers except in a real downpour. They are useful too for keeping cold wind off and easier than my thermals to remove as it warms up.
The poncho can also double up as a sheet if needed, or unpopper to make a tent, more ventilation etc.
We all have our favourite system so for me the poncho still seems best :D

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I know ponchos are quite common! :D

But just let me say the cheap ones are plastic made, which means that you'll heat up and sweet a lot bellow one of these things - and you'll get the chill problem when you stop even for 5mn.

I would recommend breathable membrane clothing (don't know if they make ponchos with these) This will allow moisture to get out and avoid water in it's liquid form to pass - it's really cool :D

You can find lot's of accessible clothing with this - it will say "impermeable and breathable" on the tag.

Personnaly i really don't like ponchos and prefer to take pants and a good jacket in these materials.
personnal toughts only! :D

have a nice camino!!

tiagorosado said:
I know ponchos are quite common! :D

But just let me say the cheap ones are plastic made, ...........................
Personnaly i really don't like ponchos and prefer to take pants and a good jacket in these materials.
personnal toughts only! :D

have a nice camino!!
So true tiagorosado. Our ponchos are Rohan 'waterproof and breathable' and very expensive (about £70 GB now). They were a gift, or we probably would not have had them. However they have proved their worth. We certainly wouldn't want plastic, or similar for all the reasons you mention.
I ike the way my poncho packs down and find it easier than a jacket, but again it is purely personal. :)
Buen Camino

Before I bought the ALTUS raincoat (its not a poncho) I used to wear a Regatta rain suit - waterproof jacket and trousers. I still use them but not for backpacking.
When backpacking I would then also have to use a backpack cover which all added up to extra weight.
The difference with the ALTUS is that your pack goes underneath the 'hunchback' at the back so you don't have to take the pack off to put the raincoat on - or to take it off. If the rain lessens or if it starts to get warm, you can unzip the front whereas with a jacket the backpack straps hold everything down.
I am going to buy a second ALTUS when I get to Spain and put it away for a rainy day!

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...
I've stopped procrastinating and done my first pack. Was a bit nervous about being under 7kg hand luggage, but on the first try I've come to 5.9kg (13 pounds). (Not counting one set walking...
Hi there! I was on the fence about poles bc I've never used them and as mentioned previously, brand new to hiking. But because I'm in treatment for breast cancer and as such have a decent amount...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.