• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

ALTUS RAIN COAT

sillydoll

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
2002 CF: 2004 from Paris: 2006 VF: 2007 CF: 2009 Aragones, Ingles, Finisterre: 2011 X 2 on CF: 2013 'Caracoles': 2014 CF and Ingles 'Caracoles":2015 Logrono-Burgos (Hospitalero San Anton): 2016 La Douay to Aosta/San Gimignano to Rome:

Attachments

• raincoat poncho.jpg
    raincoat poncho.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 11,411
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Similar to the Altus is the Rohan all weather cape. This poppers down the sides and can be opened out to form a shelter if needed. It costs about twice as much as the Altus. Type poncho into the search box on the Rohan site for details. http://www.rohan.co.uk They will ship outside the UK if contacted. Terry is very pleased with his, it keeps him dry when needed but will allow some air in.
Tia Valeria

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I have had to use my Altus raincoat this past week on the Norte and I have mixed feelings, although I wonder also if there is a better way to deal with this problem: condensation build-up on the inside of the raincoat thereby wetting me completely. I am sure there is some sweat on my part, but really??? the whole inside is full of water. Like the windshield of a car or a sweating cold drink. I have to wear warm clothes for it has been quite cold- all this makes me colder still especially with the wind. My niece has a regular plastic rain poncho with heavy fleece inside and has no sweating or condensation on the inside of her coat. My clothes are the microfiber fleece type. Any ideas?
Lillian

Mermaid Lilli,
I have sent you a PM about this. If it works it might be worth posting up.
God bless you,
Tia Valeria for Tio Tel.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Terve,
rain will get you wet everytime. The water gets thru somehow or you sweat so much that you soak no matter what you wear, but the rain will get you wet everytime. Protect yourself as well as you can and use quick drying clothes under your rain gear. Peace.
-T-

There are waterproof/breathable fabrics that when used for raingear do help. An example would be Goretex raingear. It isn't perfect and is more expensive but does reduce the condensation that gets you wet from the inside. You also want tomake sure that you are not wearing more insulation under your raingera than you need as that will cause you to sweat and create water vapour that is trapped by conventional raingear.

Of course in a long hard rain you will get wet somehow and possiblythe best way to stay dry in really bad weather is a friendly cafe or bar.

MermaidLilli said:
Altus raincoat .......this problem: condensation build-up on the inside of the raincoat thereby wetting me completely.
Lillian

Oh, I don't like the sound of that. I was just about to order an Altus.
Has anybody else had this experience with the Altus?
Or can someone recommend some other type of rain gear?

I plan to walk the Camino in September, hope it doesn't trun out to be a huge rainy season.
Rita

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I have checked with Terry about his Rohan poncho/all weather cape. He says that it is nowhere near as sweaty as any other wet gear he has had. He has poppers from wrist to bottom hem, no stitched side or sleeve seams. This lets the air in while keeping a thunderstorm out. Also he leaves his arms bare, shirt sleeves rolled up. This all helps to keep it from being sweaty and sticking to him, as well as not worrying about getting the ends of his sleeves wet. His trousers also unzip down the side seam from waist to as low as the knee, under the poncho, if he wants. (Don't know what make but will ask later) They also unzip up the inside seam from the ankle to the knee, so you can let lots of air in. fairly versatile gear!! He is really happy with it, and it dries out fairly easily too.
Perhaps the Altus can be 'adapted'. Rohan will ship outside of the UK, web address in a post above!
God bless you on your walking
Tia Valeria for Tio Tel

I bought the ALTUS in 2007 and wore it a few times on rainy days. I've worn it on training days at home in South Africa and haven't really had any problem with sweating with it on. Perhaps it depends on what you are wearing - whether you are sateaming up too much?
It has a zipper all the way down the front so if it does get warm you can open it (not in torrential rain though) and the sleeves are very wide, like raglan sleeves so there is a lot of room inside.

I did not have an Altus, but I froze in a poncho. Perhaps it was particularly cold & windy when I walked. My solution was a lightweight rainsuit which kept me warm and dry at no extra weight.

Reading different experiences makes me think that it depends on several factors, the amount of sweating, the heat produced and the outside conditions. I had light rain, cold temperatures and strong winds. So had to wear enough under to keep warm but still felt cold due to the wind still sneaking in and chilling me even more. Not sure what the answer is, but my niece was wearing a heavy fleece jacket and a vinyl poncho and was dry and warm. UGH
Lillian

The Altus is not open on the sides like a standard poncho, so it tends to be warmer and keeps the wind out. It does not breathe at all, so moisture from perspiration will condense on the inside under many conditions. However, it will keep the rain off you and your pack. The hump on the back that creates space for your pack can be snapped together so that the poncho fits rather nicely when you are not wearing a pack. It comes in two sizes, and quite a few people will find they are between the sizes! The L/XL has sleeves long enough for long arms. The S/M size will be tight in the body for the slightly rotund! The quality of manufacture is very good.

There is a wonderful outdoor shop in Sarria - PEREGRINOTECA.COM - C/ Benigno Quiroga, 16 - Bajo. They keep most of the top brands, including the ALTUS raincoat for 29 euro. They will ship it anywhere in the world for 20 euro.
If you are staying in a hotel or private albergue your first night in Spain you could probably have it delivered there.

Check the website or email them here: info@peregrinoteca.com
http://www.peregrinoteca.com/tienda/alt ... tml?page=3

I had similar problems with the Altus rain coat. I sweated too much and my clothes were wet. Last year after not wanting to folding and drying I left at a private pensione on the Camino Norte cause I couldn't be bothered with it. I bought a covering for my backpack and used an umbrella, it suited me fine. I still am looking for a raincoat that is simple and easy to use any suggestions.
thanks,n. :oops:

We are still 100% convinced by our Rohan ponchos but they now cost £70 plus shipping. (Ouch) Are we glad we bought ours nearly 3 years ago when they were £50+. Expensive but a retirement gift :D .
There is at least one other thread on 'Altus or Poncho' so it is probably worth putting 'poncho' in the search box and reading all the comments there.

(Edit - after reading a post below:- Just for interest, our pochos are actually about 100gms lighter than an Altus)

Everyone is different. Some people perspire more than others and any waterproof coat with sealed seams will make them sweat. I have never had that problem with the ALTUS, even when exerting myself climbing the hill to Cebrerio it was OK.
Also, chances are that you will sweat more if you are wearing thermal or warm clothing when you put the raincoat on. hills

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I have an Altus poncho and both breathable and non-breathable rain suits. Regardless of the one I take, I perspire so much that the inside is as wet as the outside. Being dry is not an option. So the choice is the ease of use, particularly getting in and out of the gear as the rain comes and goes. The Altus wins hands down. The Altus is lighter than my lightest rain suit plus a pack cover, so it gets the nod for weight, too.

I love my Altus, which I bought second hand from a pilgrim who was on her way home from Santiago.

I did not experience the getting wet that other people are talking about. I'm not sure why. I did open it up to let air circulate when possible. I also wore a billed hat under the hood, which may have given a place for damp hot air to escape. It certainly improved my view!

I used my Altus as my main jacket on my last Camino - I may not take an extra jacket again - never needing it as long as I wore the Altus over my clothes when it was windy or raining.

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.