• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Álvaro Lazaga walks from Lisbon

peregrina2000

Staff member
Just saw today that the well-known camino addict has hopped from Mérida (after walking from Algeciras to Cádiz to Mérida) to Lisboa and is on the Camino. When he walks in Spain, people inevitably know him and come to say hi. If any forum members are out and about, he is a very friendly and effusive guy.

I was happy to see that the walk along the channel north of Sacavém seems to have been cleaned up a bit.

This is his 49th camino in the past 12 years! All are there on youtube — no ads, no self-promotion, he just does it because he loves it.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
A selection of Camino Jewellery
I'm curious to see how his video covers the next day or so. We've walked the bit from Golega to here several times, and certainly pretty much all of through our town and up into Atalaia, and then have driven on errands on a variety of routes up to Tomar.

So...it will be interesting!

Just saw today that the well-known camino addict has hopped from Mérida (after walking from Algeciras to Cádiz to Mérida) to Lisboa and is on the Camino. When he walks in Spain, people inevitably know him and come to say hi. If any forum members are out and about, he is a very friendly and effusive guy.

I was happy to see that the walk along the channel north of Sacavém seems to have been cleaned up a bit.

This is his 49th camino in the past 12 years! All are there on youtube — no ads, no self-promotion, he just does it because he loves it.
I love his videos and attitude always upbeat and ending in a bunk wigglying his toes!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I have noticed that every day, it seems, Álvaro comments on how great the signage is. Even alternatives are well indicated based on what he says.

Today he’s in Alvaiázare, with its unique carimbo! I didn’t know that the hospitalero uses a new stamp mold for each pilgrim, and gives it away after stamping the wax. I don’t think things were that advanced when I walked through, but I do remember the wax carimbo!

I need help with the meaning of something Álvaro said on today’s video. In Mealhada, he had leitao, which is roast suckling pig, famous in Mealhada. He compared it to the cochinillo in Segovia and I think he said — “El cochinillo de Segovia está muy bueno, pero éste no le anda la zara.” (or maybe no le anda a la zara).

What does the last part of the sentence mean? I am thinking that perhaps he is saying that Mealhada’s roast pig is better than (or at least as good as) Segovia’s. But I don’t know what the expression means.

I need help with the meaning of something Álvaro said on today’s video. In Mealhada, he had leitao, which is roast suckling pig, famous in Mealhada. He compared it to the cochinillo in Segovia and I think he said — “El cochinillo de Segovia está muy bueno, pero éste no le anda la zara.” (or maybe no le anda a la zara).

What does the last part of the sentence mean? I am thinking that perhaps he is saying that Mealhada’s roast pig is better than (or at least as good as) Segovia’s. But I don’t know what the expression means.
"Andar a la zaga", literally, "to walk behind".

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
So that is very high praise coming from a Spaniard!!!!

Just wondering if other meat-eating peregrinos would agree with his recommendation of the Rei dos Leitoes as the best place in Mealhada.
I love PORTUGAL, from every end, Iwill have to give leitao a go next time too!

Well, I've been watching his videos every day, and Alvaro yesterday reached Braga, the first target city of his caminho. Today he's headed northeast from Braga, on the first leg of the route da Geira and dos Arrieiros. Some real bushwhacking involved--this is obviously not a heavily ussed route.

He is such fun to watch!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Loving Álvaro’s videos. I thought the whole route looked awfully well maintained, except for that little bit when he took the turn-off to go to Terras de Bouro. I remember from when I was hoping to walk this route last fall (never happened, sadly), Wendy and Nick had some good advice about not taking the left hand turn-off that Álvaro took. My guess is that the right hand trail is much more traveled (by day hikers more than pilgrims) because it stays with the Roman road and, according to Wendy and Nick is easier because it avoids a descent followed by an ascent.

People who are not going to sleep in Terras de Bouro will not need to take that detour. That would likely be anyone who slept in Candelas, 16 or so km from Braga, who would go on to Campo do Geres on their second day, I think.

Loving Álvaro’s videos. I thought the whole route looked awfully well maintained, except for that little bit when he took the turn-off to go to Terras de Bouro. I remember from when I was hoping to walk this route last fall (never happened, sadly), Wendy and Nick had some good advice about not taking the left hand turn-off that Álvaro took. My guess is that the right hand trail is much more traveled (by day hikers more than pilgrims) because it stays with the Roman road and, according to Wendy and Nick is easier because it avoids a descent followed by an ascent.

People who are not going to sleep in Terras de Bouro will not need to take that detour. That would likely be anyone who slept in Candelas, 16 or so km from Braga, who would go on to Campo do Geres on their second day, I think.
That is all correct per my recollection!

Most read last week in this forum

A piece from La Voz de Galicia commenting on the remarkable growth in numbers walking the Camino Portugues and especially the Coastal variant. The president of the local Amigos association...
Do I need to bring my own pillow & pillow case for albergues?
My friend is currently on the Camino Portuguese - a route that he has walked before and has now seen a number of markings as below. What does the Red Cross out signify?
Hi I start to walk the Central on April 24th from Porto and need to send a suitcase to IVAR in Santiago for storage. Has anyone done this and if so did you use DHL or another courier company and...
Greetings fellow pilgrims! I'm planning our journey from Porto to Vigo, beginning on Senda Litoral and eventually merging into the coastal route. Does anyone have recommendations a good place to...
Hi, Has anyone stayed in Armenteira recently? I’ve contacted Victor the Taxi to try and reserve a bunk at the Slbuergue de peregrinos. He told me to contact “ Albergue de San Ero de Armenteira”...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back